Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tomatoes - 2017

Started by HawgWild, December 08, 2016, 02:21:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

You read that right. Got my seed catalogue in the mail yesterday. I had such bad luck with heirlooms last summer I guess I'm going to try going the hybrid route on 2017. Anyone have a favorite hybrid Tomato variety to recommend?

Boarcephus

I like the Better Boys and Juliets.  I just need to find one that is disease resistant.  The blight eats me up every year.  I
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HawgWild

Mine are getting the blight, the wilt or something. My production has declined the last three summers. Right now I'm looking at:
Celebrity
Lemon Boy
Amelia
Big Beef
Carolina Gold
and one yet to be named - SV7631TD

Never tried any of these before but they are developed to be resistant to wilt, blight, canker, you name it. They'll probably taste like a tennis ball.

Boarcephus

I grew a Celebrity last year with so so results.  I'm just about to accept the fact that I'll have to live with the blight.  You need to rotate your crops but I simply don't have the room to do that.  If you read about the disease resistant plants they are almost all susceptible to the blight so it suppose it is what it is. 

Does seem like the Juliets will survive the blight better than the others and I've gotten late tomatoes off those but none off the others.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Silence O the Hams

Boarcephus

Quote from: Silence O the Hams on December 26, 2016, 11:32:17 pm
blight is in your soil.

And there's the rub.  How do you get it out without replacing your soil only to have it pop up again?

Lord of the Styes

Rotate where you plant. Try not to use the same spot till a couple of years in between.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Lord of the Styes on December 29, 2016, 03:59:31 pm
Rotate where you plant. Try not to use the same spot till a couple of years in between.

Not possible in my situation

The Boar War

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 27, 2016, 06:49:21 pm
And there's the rub.  How do you get it out without replacing your soil only to have it pop up again?

It sounds like you don't have a very large garden area.  Do you have a tiller?
If so till during the winter months to expose the spores to the elements.  Think about using white plastic mulch around the plants to heat the soil which would reduce the humidity in the soil and kill remaining spores.  If you don't use the plastic mulch use wood chips around the plants.  Most of the spores come into contact with the plant when mud is splashed up onto the plant.  It wouldn't completely eliminate the contact put it could help.

Boarcephus

Quote from: The Boar War on January 03, 2017, 12:12:58 am
It sounds like you don't have a very large garden area.  Do you have a tiller?
If so till during the winter months to expose the spores to the elements.  Think about using white plastic mulch around the plants to heat the soil which would reduce the humidity in the soil and kill remaining spores.  If you don't use the plastic mulch use wood chips around the plants.  Most of the spores come into contact with the plant when mud is splashed up onto the plant.  It wouldn't completely eliminate the contact put it could help.

Appreciate it.  My garden is a raised bed 4x26.  I've tried about everything.  Even sprayed it with a mixture of baby shampoo and bleach during winter and then again in the  spring.  I mulch with a heavy layer of cottonseed hull to cut down on the splash.  I heard about a deal where you can cut down even further on the chance of it splashing up by laying down a heavy layer of newspaper and covering that with a heavy layer of sand.  That sounded great but did't work either. I scraped off the layer of cottonseed hull one year and hauled it off, that didn't work.  Short of replacing all the soil, and I'm not really interested in doing that, I'm at a loss.  Guess what I could do is only plant half of it but if I did that I'd only be able to plant 4-5 plants.  Just about to decide I'll have to live with it. 

DeltaBoy

I took off the past few years but I am going to try the bag system this year I think.

Get 2 bags of Miricle grow plant soil lay one down on the ground cut the side out of the bag. Place the second bag on top and cut the bottom out of the bag secure with stakes then  cut the top with 2 6 inch x 's and plant your tomatoes.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

DeltaBoy

Why we grow our own

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-tomato-flavor-genes-20170126-story.html

After more than a decade of study, researchers at the University of Florida have identified the chemical compounds responsible for giving a great tomato its distinctive sweet, earthy, slightly grassy taste. They have also determined the genes that code for these chemicals and where they can be found in the tomato genome.

HawgWild

In what's become a Super Bowl tradition, I started my Tomato seeds today. 9 different varieties. Tilling some new ground Monday to see if this won't help with the blight/wilt or whatever's been affecting my plants the last two years. Adding in some composted "Gin Trash", cotton seed hulls and peat moss to enrich the soil.

DeltaBoy

Dad got his plants started on their glassed in front porch.

Boarcephus

I've come to the conclusion it's not worth the hassle to start mine early.  I'll wait and let the nursery take care of them till it warms up then I'll pick out the best of the litter and plant them in my garden.  If I were planting 50-100 I'd consider starting them from seed but I plant 8-10 so it's not the big of a deal.

I used to check the forecast and if it looked like there was not a freeze in the upcoming two weeks I'd plant mine the later part of March or the first part of April and they'd just sit there and look like crap till it warmed up.  I've waited till almost May before planting and I'd still have tomatoes by July 4th.  But, I understand why you guys do it and I'm with you, you can't wait for spring to get here!

DeltaBoy

Dad got 50 plants in one quart pots in his hot house ie his glassed in front porch. Dad will put out 10 next week and the rest on Twins day per the Farmer Almanac .

HawgWild

I repotted my 36 plants started Super Bowl Sunday into 5 inch peat pots yesterday. They'll stay under grow lights until the first of April.

theFlyingHog

Tried growing some maters a few years back and had bottom end rot or some ish real bad and couldn't get the plants real healthy like I'm used to. Found out today we had em planted right over the drain lines coming off the septic tank. That's the only place we can plant and have any sun at all. Anyone know if that's a big no-no?

Boarcephus

My situation changed this year.  We replaced our fence this year and actually gained about a foot so I'm in need of some dirt to fill in that space.  I plan on taking it out of my garden and then buying new soil to put in there.  Dread doing it but hopefully that will get rid of the disease part that causes the blight for a year or so.  I know I'm ready for spring!

HawgWild

We expanded our garden area so I'll be planting in new ground this year. Tilled in 6 yards of "gin trash" and 10 bales of peat moss. My wife added in 5 bags of cotton seed hulls in her area for daylilies. I may add some to mine before I plant but I don't want to go through that mess I had with the Dept. of Agriculture a few years back when Cotton started growing. Talk about bureaucracy gone bad.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on March 12, 2017, 09:55:30 am
We expanded our garden area so I'll be planting in new ground this year. Tilled in 6 yards of "gin trash" and 10 bales of peat moss. My wife added in 5 bags of cotton seed hulls in her area for daylilies. I may add some to mine before I plant but I don't want to go through that mess I had with the Dept. of Agriculture a few years back when Cotton started growing. Talk about bureaucracy gone bad.

I remember you telling that story.  I had the same thing in my garden but after reading yours, I shut the hell up.  I'm going to be redoing mine so, what is gin trash??  Still not totally sure what type of dirt/mulch/cow manure/etc I'm going to throw in mine to start all over. 

BR

Will have a bigger garden this year, than in the past.. Might get up to 30-40 tomato plants...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

HawgWild

"gin trash" - composted waste left over after ginning cotton. It's some pretty nice looking stuff. This came from a gin down in Louisiana. $35 a yard. I live in central Arkansas. A lot of the master gardeners around here use it. (BTW - I'm not a master gardener. 36 tomatoes is all I'm doing this year.)

Boarcephus

Thanks!  I'd wager I'd have a hard time finding that up here.   I'd like to have larger garden but I'm getting overruled on that.  The wife is after the Japanese Garden look in the backyard so I'm SOL.  My garden is 4x26 so I wind up planting 8-9 tomatoes and a couple peppers which is fine with me. 

May run down to Nitron Industries and see what they recommend but I know that would be pricey as hell.  Probably just start throwing in bags of cow manure, peat, etc and fertilize the hell out of it. 

HawgWild

Got my 35 tomato plants in the ground Thursday before the bad weather hit. They got whipped around a little by the wind but looking pretty good. This is a week earlier than I planted last year. Got the banana plants out from under the house and will put a couple in the ground this week. I'll have bananas for sure at least one of them. Spring is starting off strong.

DeltaBoy

Dad got his out.

hogginbama

March 30, 2017, 10:00:29 pm #27 Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 10:11:08 pm by hogginbama
Have always had good luck with "Dixie Dirt" as a fill. This is a mushroom compost found at many bulk suppliers. First year I used it in South Carolina, the plants about ran me over. Never had so many tomatoes, cucumbers, & squash.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

pigture perfect

Good luck guys. Because I'm living in a rent house, until mine is built, I'm growing mine in Five gallon buckets, and that's about all I'm growing this year. Well, a few different peppers for Salsa making.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Boarcephus

Got mine in the ground yesterday.  Planted 1 Juliet, 6 Jet Stars, 1 Cherokee Purple, 1 Cherokee Carbon, 1 Poblano and 1 Mammoth Jalpeno pepper. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 15, 2017, 07:18:32 pm
Got mine in the ground yesterday.  Planted 1 Juliet, 6 Jet Stars, 1 Cherokee Purple, 1 Cherokee Carbon, 1 Poblano and 1 Mammoth Jalpeno pepper. 

If I didn't know better I'd swear that was our garden!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boarcephus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 18, 2017, 06:50:58 am
If I didn't know better I'd swear that was our garden!

LOL!  I have no idea why the pic comes out the way it does.    Looks fine till I post it here then it's tilted 90 degrees. 

I've heard rice hulls are great for mulch but I couldn't find them and fell back on cottonseed hulls.  They told me they do a much better job enriching the soil when you till them back in but the cottonseed hulls do a much better job of retaining moisture.  Next year I'll be on the lookout much earlier and see if I can come up with some and try them. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 18, 2017, 07:01:50 am
LOL!  I have no idea why the pic comes out the way it does.    Looks fine till I post it here then it's tilted 90 degrees. 

I've heard rice hulls are great for mulch but I couldn't find them and fell back on cottonseed hulls.  They told me they do a much better job enriching the soil when you till them back in but the cottonseed hulls do a much better job of retaining moisture.  Next year I'll be on the lookout much earlier and see if I can come up with some and try them. 

I'd bet Ricepig knows where you can get rice hulls....................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LSUFan

I need a mater sammich.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

DeltaBoy

Dad said the Early Girls came off early and he been eating them since the 2nd week of May.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 25, 2017, 07:52:01 am
Dad said the Early Girls came off early and he been eating them since the 2nd week of May.

Where does he live???  You can tell by mine I'm a ways off.  I normally shoot for tomatoes by July 1. 

BR

Ok final total,  41 Tomato plants and 40 pepper plants... All different kinds of Variety this year...   Learned a lot down in Texas last week on cooking with Habanero's that won't kill you from the heat.  The flavor of stuff was awesome..

Boarcephus

Quote from: BR on May 27, 2017, 10:05:46 am
Ok final total,  41 Tomato plants and 40 pepper plants... All different kinds of Variety this year...   Learned a lot down in Texas last week on cooking with Habanero's that won't kill you from the heat.  The flavor of stuff was awesome..

Bastards are hot.  Friend of mine is really into peppers and he's found a no heat habanero he really likes.  Like you said, flavor is good.  He's plants those things that are north of 1 million on the Scoville Scale and a couple that get close the the 2 million mark. 

BR

Quote from: Boarcephus on May 27, 2017, 10:41:40 am
Bastards are hot.  Friend of mine is really into peppers and he's found a no heat habanero he really likes.  Like you said, flavor is good.  He's plants those things that are north of 1 million on the Scoville Scale and a couple that get close the the 2 million mark. 
Yes they are Brother, but had a Jalapeño/Habanero Smoked Burger that was maybe the best Burger I ever ate...

HawgWild

I got a gazillian green tomatoes on the vine. Picked my first cherry tomato yesterday. Next week I'll be over run with them. Look our BLTs, here I come!

HawgWild

Here they come. Lemon Boy & Mortgage Lifter (a little small but should get bigger)

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on June 11, 2017, 12:43:38 pm
Here they come. Lemon Boy & Mortgage Lifter (a little small but should get bigger)

Looks good.  What part of the country to you live in?  We're still 2-3 weeks away in Fayetteville.

HawgWild

A rock's throw north of Conway. Just finished my 1st BLT w/Lemon Boy. Pretty tasteless. I'd switched to mostly hybrids because of what I thought was blight affecting my heirlooms. I guess the drop in flavor was one of the tradeoffs.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on June 11, 2017, 01:33:56 pm
A rock's throw north of Conway. Just finished my 1st BLT w/Lemon Boy. Pretty tasteless. I'd switched to mostly hybrids because of what I thought was blight affecting my heirlooms. I guess the drop in flavor was one of the tradeoffs.

Amazing the effect 75 miles or so makes.  I brought in basically all new soil this year and just noticed the blight is back.  Guess I'll just have to live with it.  My first Cherokee Carbon will be ready pretty in about a week and my jet Stars will be ready in 2-3 weeks. 

HawgWild

So, the tomatoes are ripening and now blight/wilt looks to be setting in. Seven of my 9 varieties planted this year are hybrids. I made the switch to hybrids because they're much more resistant to whatever was affecting my harvest last year. I also planted in new ground. The tomatoes took off like crazy, quickly growing out of their cages. They put on so much fruit that some of the cages collapsed. Then came the blight/wilt. In the past week most of my crop has lost the lower half or more of their leaves. I'm going to have a big harvest but it'll be over quickly because it doesn't look like any more fruit will be set.

Here's today's harvest - Lemon Boy, Garden Peach, Carolina Gold, Amelia, Celebrity, Mortgage Lifter and Big Red.

The other picture is what most of the plants look like - lots of fruit, bent cages and wilted foliage.

Boarcephus

Maddening isn't it?  Sprayed mine yesterday with Daconil which was recommended by the County Extension Office to stop the blight.  Tried it the last couple years with little success but I have it so why not?  Enjoy the bacon and tomato sandwiches while you can. 

Boarcephus

Took my first Cherokee Carbon off today and it was great.  Tasted exactly like the Cherokee Purple.  For those who haven't tried the Cherokee Purples or Carbons, you need to plant just one and try it.  Great taste, thin skin and low acid.  Now I've got a 7-10 days before I get anything else.  Bummer. 

BR

Garden starting to go nuts...

HawgWild

Nice harvest. My Tomatoes are pretty much through. I've ripped up most of my 36 plants and put them in the mulch pile. Got 2 varieties left with a few Tomatoes on them.

Boarcephus

Quote from: HawgWild on July 28, 2017, 09:00:30 am
Nice harvest. My Tomatoes are pretty much through. I've ripped up most of my 36 plants and put them in the mulch pile. Got 2 varieties left with a few Tomatoes on them.

Same here.  The run is about over and the ones I'm getting off are not as good.  Still getting some nice Juliets.