Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Razorback Duo Keep Their Names in NBA Draft?

Started by gdumont, April 16, 2017, 07:10:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gdumont

ShadowHawg

Unless something happens where a team tells them they will be drafted they will be back. Currently neither is being projected in mock drafts to be taken.

JayBell

April 17, 2017, 09:45:53 am #2 Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:01:50 am by JayBell
I could see Barford getting better evaluations at this point than Kingsley did at this time last year, but he seems far less resolute than Macon in his intent to leave early.

I hope Macon returns, but he seems hell-bent on going now, which means he'll have to go the Patrick Beverley route and go overseas first.  That's fine for him if that's what he wants to do, but I really think Macon can play his way into the NBA like a Buddy Hield.

If Macon improves his shooting at all and puts up 16+ on another team that wins 25 or more games next season, scouts will give him a much harder look than he's getting right now.

The_Iceman

Both of these guys should come back and be part of a Sweet 16 or better run for the Hogs. All the pieces are in place. The exposure of being All-SEC players and making the 2nd weekend should help their draft stock in a much weaker draft in 2018.

Hawg Red

Quote from: JayBell on April 17, 2017, 09:45:53 am
I could see Barford getting better evaluations at this point than Kingsley did at this time last year, but he seems far less resolute than Macon in his intent to leave early.

I hope Macon returns, but he seems hell-bent on going now, which means he'll have to go the Patrick Beverley route and go overseas first.  That's fine for him if that's what he wants to do, but I really think Macon can play his way into the NBA like a Buddy Hield.

If Macon improves his shooting at all and puts up 16+ on another team that wins 25 or more games next season, scouts will give him a much harder look than he's getting right now.

Does he?

KentuckyFan

I hope they return, for your team's sake, but this same kind of debate was had with Isaac Humphries and Isaiah Briscoe on the UK board.  Neither are projected to be drafted, and at best, would be mid-late 2nd rounders to a team who liked their game or something specific about them.  However, comments made by both really puts some perspective.  These guys are often from places where money is tight and immediate assistance is needed.  While it's great to look as linearly as the NBA mock drafts and decide whether a good decision is being made, things are much more complicated.  There are many, many other options to go and make money in basketball, and age is only working against these guys.  The longer you wait, the longer you play for free, the less upside you have.  Also, a college degree is MUCH, MUCH less valuable today than it was 25 years ago.  These guys are over halfway or even almost finished with their degree.  A few online classes or returning for 1 year of college (even at a different school) helps them complete their degree.

The Hogfather

Quote from: KentuckyFan on April 17, 2017, 10:37:00 am
I hope they return, for your team's sake, but this same kind of debate was had with Isaac Humphries and Isaiah Briscoe on the UK board.  Neither are projected to be drafted, and at best, would be mid-late 2nd rounders to a team who liked their game or something specific about them.  However, comments made by both really puts some perspective.  These guys are often from places where money is tight and immediate assistance is needed.  While it's great to look as linearly as the NBA mock drafts and decide whether a good decision is being made, things are much more complicated.  There are many, many other options to go and make money in basketball, and age is only working against these guys.  The longer you wait, the longer you play for free, the less upside you have.  Also, a college degree is MUCH, MUCH less valuable today than it was 25 years ago.  These guys are over halfway or even almost finished with their degree.  A few online classes or returning for 1 year of college (even at a different school) helps them complete their degree.

Very shortsighted to leave school before graduating with basically the BEST option being a European league or maybe the D League.  It would be in their best interest to stay in school until they graduate, work on their games, try to improve enough to get drafted, and THEN take their shot at other leagues.

The Hogfather

Quote from: JayBell on April 17, 2017, 09:45:53 am

I agree.  I think Macon can work himself into getting drafted if he stays for his final year.  Same for Barford.

Youngsta71701

"The more things change the more they stay the same"

ShadowHawg

D league is  a short term gig and overseas can be a nightmare. Lots of clubs can't/don't back up there paycheck. The world has become a much more dangerous place.

There are some good leagues but they aren't easy to get into.

I don't think Macon is considering overseas  nearly as much as some here are claiming.

code red

They have said that they will pursue the NBA grade.  So, I expect they are gone.  I would suspect the coaching staff will approach it that way as well.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

jry04

Quote from: code red on April 17, 2017, 11:47:51 am
They have said that they will pursue the NBA grade.  So, I expect they are gone.  I would suspect the coaching staff will approach it that way as well.
Huh? You expect them to be gone because they making a smart decision and getting feedback?

I can understand people thinking Macon is gone, but Barford has said nothing about leaving. He has said multiple times he will return, and isn't projected in ANY drafts or top 100 prospect lists. I see people compare this to Qualls all the time. Qualls was a projected early 2nd round pick, with room for improvement based on what he did at the combine. These two are more like Moses where he declared and wasn't projected by anyone and didn't receive a combine invite.

King Kong

Quote from: code red on April 17, 2017, 11:47:51 am
I would suspect the coaching staff will approach it that way as well.

They aren't

JayBell

Quote from: ShadowHawg on April 17, 2017, 11:00:10 amI don't think Macon is considering overseas  nearly as much as some here are claiming.

My comment was pure conjecture.  It makes no sense for Macon to think he can play his way up through the D-League.  That route just hardly ever works.  Like Shadow said, it's such a short-term gig and hardly anybody ever truly develops much there.

Going overseas isn't a bad deal at all and it's not near as treacherous as some make it out to be.  Sonny Weems has had a solid career over there and playing in Europe helped Beverley a ton

Fortson's world travels have taken him from South America to Russia to Turkey and now to China.  You can make a living playing basketball outside of the NBA, but there's just so much more potential in staying an extra year.

Buddy Hield seems like a great comparison to me.  He's built really similar to Macon and did wonders for his professional career by staying in school.

JayBell

Qualls' game was built more on athleticism.  It made more sense for him to try to get out while he was younger.  That's why I was saying for months that he would go pro if he saw any glimmer of hope from the NBA.

Teams obviously viewed him in that they gave him some looks even after his injury.  If he doesn't shred his ACL, who knows what could have happened for him.

Youngsta71701

Until they are officially gone I expect them to be back. :razorback:

hawginbigd1

Quote from: King Kong on April 17, 2017, 01:03:41 pm
They aren't
I would hope not, because well you really can't with any highly succesful outcome IMO. If they don't come back, and it isn't certain til June there are no good options at that point.

hogcard1964

What happened to the eloquently stated - "we gone be back. we hogs"?

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 18, 2017, 10:33:39 am

They remembered that they said they wanted to be one and done before that lol.

phadedhawg

It's impossible to know what is in another person's heart but from the outside it seems Macon has one foot out the door.  Barford seems to be taking the Moses path of testing the waters. 

If I had to put money on it I would say Barford returns and Macon leaves.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 18, 2017, 10:33:39 am

Quite possibly nothing happened to that. Barford made that statement. He's getting feedback and hasn't signed an agent. Ask the question when/if he signs with an agent instead of coming back for his senior year.

TexArkHogFan

Barford's game showed a big improvement as the season wound down.  Macon was up and down with consistency seeming to be a problem.  Some games he was lights out and then he seemed to vanish in other games.  Based on that observation, and it is my opinion only, I think Barford will achieve greatness as a Hog if he returns.  Macon is a better outside threat and once he obtains the consistency throughout a season, he too will make his mark.  Of course I want them to return for another year and they may do well if they leave now, but it will be overseas.  It just seems to me they would have more and better options if they come back to fine tune their game.  Getting paid to play basketball may look great, but 50,000 isn't that great of a salary in today's real world.  A degree will certainly be worth more than that in the long run.  My grandson was a PE teacher while he worked on his degree.  Once he got the degree he went from 15,000  a year to 35,000  and is now an assistant coach in the athletic department.  And, that's just the first year. His major was in sports medicine and that's where he eventually wants to wind up,  BUT you have to have a degree first.  No degree and he would still be a PE teacher.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

JayBell

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 18, 2017, 03:40:56 pmNo, he doesn't.

Macon?  Yes, he does.  He's looking for any excuse to leave, but he's not rated highly by anyone.  He keeps having to delete stuff he says on Twitter.

PorkRinds

Quote from: JayBell on April 18, 2017, 03:57:53 pm
Macon?  Yes, he does.  He's looking for any excuse to leave, but he's not rated highly by anyone.  He keeps having to delete stuff he says on Twitter.

No, he doesn't.  No one knows his mindset right now, so everyone should stop pretending they do.  If he was hell bent on leaving he'd announce it and be done with it.

JayBell

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 18, 2017, 04:06:10 pmNo, he doesn't.  No one knows his mindset right now, so everyone should stop pretending they do.  If he was hell bent on leaving he'd announce it and be done with it.

"Everyone should stop pretending to know his mindset. Now, here, I will pretend to know his mindset."

PorkRinds

Quote from: JayBell on April 18, 2017, 04:23:12 pm
"Everyone should stop pretending to know his mindset. Now, here, I will pretend to know his mindset."

I'm not the one claiming he's hell bent on something.  It stands to reason that he, or anyone, who was hell bent on leaving would have left already. Monk was hel bent on leaving. Fox and the kid from UCLA were hell bent on leaving. Hell bent described Macon in no way except the way you've invented for yourself.

East TN HAWG

JayBell

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 18, 2017, 04:58:46 pmI'm not the one claiming he's hell bent on something.  It stands to reason that he, or anyone, who was hell bent on leaving would have left already. Monk was hel bent on leaving. Fox and the kid from UCLA were hell bent on leaving. Hell bent described Macon in no way except the way you've invented for yourself.

You're lecturing me on a standard I invented for myself while preaching a standard you invented for yourself.  If you're having to use phrases like, "It stands to reason," you're doing nothing but making assumptions too.  If you're going to share your own opinions and assumptions, don't denigrate others for doing the same thing.

PorkRinds

Quote from: JayBell on April 18, 2017, 05:35:24 pm
You're lecturing me on a standard I invented for myself while preaching a standard you invented for yourself.  If you're having to use phrases like, "It stands to reason," you're doing nothing but making assumptions too.  If you're going to share your own opinions and assumptions, don't denigrate others for doing the same thing.

I'm hell bent on you not describing Macon as hell bent.

Großer Kriegschwein

Hopefully they both come back and we throat punch Kentucky on the way to winning the SEC Tournament.

I can dream big.
This is my non-signature signature.

Boardon Hamsay

I think Barford is a 60/40 stay lean. Macon is probably more 70/30 leave, if I had to guess. Can't knock them if either decide to leave and go earn a paycheck if that is their priority. Gotta do what they need to do for themselves and their families.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

chenalhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 17, 2017, 10:49:21 am
I agree.  I think Macon can work himself into getting drafted if he stays for his final year.  Same for Barford.
you do know they make $300,000-500,000 a year overseas. What they going make a year with a degree

ShadowHawg

Quote from: chenalhog on April 18, 2017, 10:36:04 pm
you do know they make $300,000-500,000 a year overseas. What they going make a year with a degree

????

Very few get that kind of money overseas.

hogcard1964

Quote from: JayBell on April 18, 2017, 03:57:53 pm

He already stated he was staying.  ...on Twitter and he didn't delete it.

JayBell

The Hogfather

Gotta love these types of statements.  I'm sure this is the shiz they are hearing that makes them even think about leaving.

riccoar

Especially when that statement is patently false.

RazorWest

Yes, European players can make a lot of money, but that doesn't mean Macon will if he leaves.  It's not like if you aren't good enough for the NBA that you can go to Europe and sign an extremely lucrative contract.  They don't pay that kind of money to just any player that can't make the NBA.  Macon and Barford would likely make a team somewhere, but they likely wouldn't start out making an extreme amount of money.  The best players in the world play in the NBA, after that they play in Europe.

RazorWest

Quote from: KentuckyFan on April 17, 2017, 10:37:00 am

What?  I'd say a degree is more essential today than it's ever been.  Not having a degree limits your career opportunities and earnings potential drastically for the vast majority of people.

RazorWest

April 20, 2017, 09:17:30 am #40 Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:50:16 am by RazorWest
Quote from: JayBell on April 17, 2017, 01:20:05 pm
My comment was pure conjecture.  It makes no sense for Macon to think he can play his way up through the D-League.  That route just hardly ever works.  Like Shadow said, it's such a short-term gig and hardly anybody ever truly develops much there.

Going overseas isn't a bad deal at all and it's not near as treacherous as some make it out to be.  Sonny Weems has had a solid career over there and playing in Europe helped Beverley a ton

Fortson's world travels have taken him from South America to Russia to Turkey and now to China.  You can make a living playing basketball outside of the NBA, but there's just so much more potential in staying an extra year.

Buddy Hield seems like a great comparison to me.  He's built really similar to Macon and did wonders for his professional career by staying in school.

Sonny Weems played in the NBA he just didn't last.  Macon isn't to that level yet.  Beverly had to leave due to off the court stuff.  Without that he likely would have came back and maybe been drafted.

Youngsta71701

To make that much overseas you have to be a star or at least well known already and they are not.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 19, 2017, 07:33:22 am
He already stated he was staying.  ...on Twitter and he didn't delete it.
Link please. I would love to see it. That would make my day.

JayBell

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on April 20, 2017, 09:44:44 amLink please. I would love to see it. That would make my day.

He had one on March 17 after the win over Seton Hall that said "This is why I came back !" but obviously the season wasn't over yet.  "It stands to reason" all he meant was the success they had this season was what he wanted to accomplish when he "came back" to his home state to play.  I haven't seen anything since the end of the season indicate he's definitely coming back.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: RazorWest on April 20, 2017, 09:17:30 am
Sonny Weems played in the NBA he just didn't last.  Macon isn't to that level yet.  Beverly had to leave due to off the court stuff.  Without that he likely would have came back and maybe been drafted.

I think Beverley did get drafted.

jry04

Quote from: JayBell on April 21, 2017, 09:12:26 am
He had one on March 17 after the win over Seton Hall that said "This is why I came back !" but obviously the season wasn't over yet.  "It stands to reason" all he meant was the success they had this season was what he wanted to accomplish when he "came back" to his home state to play.  I haven't seen anything since the end of the season indicate he's definitely coming back.
They are probably referring to what a few media members tweeted. Someone DM'd him "does this mean you are leaving?" and he responded no, I am just testing the waters/getting feedback. He didn't actually tweet it, but the screenshot of the DM was posted by members of the media. As for Macon tweeting himself, he hasn't tweeted anything saying he is staying, although he deletes tweets as fast as he hits send so maybe he has.

HiggiePiggy

https://www.quora.com/What-is-an-overseas-basketball-players-average-salary-compared-to-the-US

https://www.reference.com/sports-active-lifestyle/much-money-overseas-basketball-players-make-f7061620190d4bfd#

Top 30 players will make a lot. After that it starts going down a lot. 

Found another article that shows some good reasons to go overseas especially if you are in the D league.  Also women players do pretty well overseas.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

jry04

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 25, 2017, 01:25:05 am
They must have gotten back good info by now because news of players announcing has trailed off this past week, so the player pool is pretty much locked up. If they heard worthy news of a potential pick or good opportunity, why not hire an agent to further your stock and improve your chances if you for sure weren't going back to college? That's what trips me up about Macon and doesn't make any sense... If his mind is made up and everyone is getting this feeling of him leaving, plus the tweet, plus reports of skipping class (which could easily be fabricated), then why not just cut to the chase?
They may be waiting to see if they get a combine invite. If you do not get a combine invite then you are certainly not getting drafted. The invites will likely go out next week.

HF#1

I think at least one goes overseas at the very least. Macon is good enough that I could see the NBA folks telling him to go play overseas for a few years and come back rather than return to college.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The Hogfather

Quote from: HF#1 on April 26, 2017, 12:44:48 pm
I think at least one goes overseas at the very least. Macon is good enough that I could see the NBA folks telling him to go play overseas for a few years and come back rather than return to college.

No way.