Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recent medical articles on demise of tackle football

Started by HognotinMemphis, November 09, 2017, 11:23:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

November 09, 2017, 11:23:42 am Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 11:56:14 am by HoginMemphis
Saw one today where Bob Costas says football is destroying brains. Saw another where the JAMA Network released a study that found more than 99% of deceased NFL players and 87% of football players from any level were "neuropathologically diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy".

A Nat'l Federation of State High School Associations report published in September, 2017 showed participation in 11 players tackle football dropped by 25,901 athletes from 2015-16 to 2016-17 school years. That # is nationwide but still significant.

Talent pool for college will drop off as kids do not participate in HS football. That will then cause same loss of talent pool for NFL. Lawsuits for liability will destroy the game if it does not self-implode over the next decade.

This is the sort of thing that can easily be ignored and thought of as either silly or crazy or both but facts are facts: this is real, it is destroying peoples' brains and causing severe consequences...suicide, loss of memory and loss of of functions. This house of cards can all come tumbling down on college and NFL a lot faster than anyone realizes. 10 yrs from now, this will not be a multi-billion dollar industry for colleges and NFL.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Grag T

I can imagine getting smashed in the head for years could in fact cause problems.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

hogsanity

It is not just head injuries though. Kids, or their parents, are deciding not to play football for many reasons.

Time
not wanting to put forth the effort
jackass coaches
bad team they would have to be on
injury possibility
other sports becoming more popular

and probably 2 dozen more that I did not think of.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

phadedhawg

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 11:31:06 am
It is not just head injuries though. Kids, or their parents, are deciding not to play football for many reasons.

Time
jackass coaches
injury possibility

True but the brain injury issue seems like it might be enough to finish football off for good. 

IronHog

Nothing new really.

I had a small to mid college player body and never suited up after pee wee due to the beatings I took as an 11-12 year old playing both ways.

Great decision
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hogsanity

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 09, 2017, 11:32:45 am
True but the brain injury issue seems like it might be enough to finish football off for good. 

It wont help, that's for sure, but it is not going to get rid of the game.

What is eventually going to really hurt all sports is parents not being willing to take the time to get their kids involved. I see it in the rec leagues I help with. As more people who did not play sports have kids, they either see no reason to start, or once they do start their kids in something, are unwilling to make the time for practices.

It is why rec league soccer is so big. Usually practice once a week, play one game a week and that's it. I said REC LEAGUE, I am not talking about tournament teams.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

go hogues

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 09, 2017, 11:23:42 am
Saw one today where Bob Costas says football is destroying brains. Saw another where the JAMA Network released a study that found more than 99% of deceased NFL players and 87% of football players from any level were "neuropathologically diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

A Nat'l Federation of State High School Associations report published in September, 2017 showed participation in 11 players tackle football dropped by 25,901 athletes from 2015-16 to 2016-17 school years. That # is nationwide but still significant.

Talent pool for college will drop off as kids do not participate in HS football. That will then cause same loss of talent pool for NFL. Lawsuits for liability will destroy the game if it does not self-implode over the next decade.

This is the sort of thing that can easily be ignored and thought of as either silly or crazy or both but facts are facts: this is real, it is destroying peoples' brains and causing severe consequences...suicide, loss of memory and loss of of functions. This house of cards can all come tumbling down on college and NFL a lot faster than anyone realizes. 10 yrs from now, this will not be a multi-billion dollar industry for colleges and NFL.
Who knows.

If there's still a model out there where kids from low income or impoverished families can see football as a means to significant financial gain, then I think it will continue on.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogsanity

Another thing that is coming into play is that a lot of kids just see no reason to put themselves through football. I will use my youngest as an example. 14 yrs old 6'2" 175", not a burner but not slow, good hands, has no desire to play football at all. He does play other sports.

hogsanity

Quote from: go hogues on November 09, 2017, 11:38:09 am
Who knows.

If there's still a model out there where kids from low income or impoverished families can see football as a means to significant financial gain, then I think it will continue on.

Same reason some kids still go into boxing.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 09, 2017, 11:23:42 am
Saw one today where Bob Costas says football is destroying brains.

Quote from: Grag T on November 09, 2017, 11:27:22 am
I can imagine getting smashed in the head for years could in fact cause problems.

Bob Costas loves baseball. I guess he forgot that baseball players get hit in the head sometimes as well with much less protection. Heck all team sport players might need to wear helmets and pads with all this sissification of sports going on.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 11:31:06 am

Time
jackass coaches
injury possibility

Same with all sports.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 09, 2017, 11:42:12 am
Bob Costas loves baseball. I guess he forgot that baseball players get hit in the head sometimes as well with much less protection. Heck all team sport players might need to wear helmets and pads with all this sissification of sports going on.

Impressive, took longer than I thought before the sissy tag got thrown in.

Also, yes baseball players do OCCASIONALLY get hit in the head, but it is not the repeated blows to the head and jarring of the brain that happens in football.

As many people have said, football is not a contact sport it is a collision sport.

elksnort

So the game has been around since 1869 and it is just now deemed dangerous?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 11:47:24 am
Impressive, took longer than I thought before the sissy tag got thrown in.

Also, yes baseball players do OCCASIONALLY get hit in the head, but it is not the repeated blows to the head and jarring of the brain that happens in football.

As many people have said, football is not a contact sport it is a collision sport.

Collision sport? Try racing. I agree football can be a brutal type sport moreso than others but others are brutal as well. Maybe not as often but just as brutal.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: elksnort on November 09, 2017, 11:52:07 am

It has actually gotten safer over those years. One of the reasons the NCAA came into existence was the brutality of the sport back then.

Hoginsavga

I love all sports but I don't look at protecting the players with better and more equipment as sissification but common sense. I have often thought basketball players should wear some form of headgear. Hitting hardwood floors head first could cause serious head injuries. The same is true in other sports but not to the level of football.

dfwalumdad

really depends on how you baseline that number.

here's the release from nfhs that you quote:

Participation in 11-player football was down 25,901 from the previous year, although the numbers in 6- and 8-player football were up from the 2015-16 season. The overall number of participants in football (6, 8, 9 and 11 player) in 2016-17 was 1,086,748, down 25,503 from the 1,112,251 in the 2015-16 season.

While the number of participants in high school football declined, the number of schools offering the sport increased by 52 schools in 11-player – from 14,047 to 14,099 – and by nine schools in 6-, 8- and 9-player – from 1,349 to 1,358.

With 14,099 high schools offering 11-player football, the decrease of 25,901 participants amounts to fewer than two individuals 1.8 per school, and an overall decrease of 2.5 percent.

Football remains the No. 1 participatory sport for boys at the high school level by a large margin. Track and field is second with 600,136 participants, followed by basketball (550,305), baseball (491,790) and soccer (450,234).

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/high-school-sports-participation-increases-for-28th-straight-year-nears-8-million-mark/

by the way those numbers are down from historic highs the fact is that about 1.05 million kids play high school football every year and have for a very long time.

for what it's worth my son played 5 years of pee wee ball and six years of jr. high and high school, went to four years of razorback camp 2 years junior camp 2 years senior camp. the senior camp was during the petrino years. the senior camp was a contact camp and run pretty much by tim horton.

he loved every minute of playing football.

to be honest most of the people saying they wouldn't let their kids play football because of CTE kid's weren't going to play football anyway.

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 09, 2017, 11:53:57 am
Maybe not as often but just as brutal.

There is the key though, the OFTEN part. Yes, when a racer slams the wall at 150mph+ it is brutal. How often does an individual that though? And, when a racer does get seriously injured, it is most often head/neck from the whiplash effect of the impact. Football players, especially linemen, take helmet contact almost every play. Minimal, yes often it is minimal, but it still has a cumulative effect.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 11:37:43 am
It wont help, that's for sure, but it is not going to get rid of the game.

What is eventually going to really hurt all sports is parents not being willing to take the time to get their kids involved. I see it in the rec leagues I help with. As more people who did not play sports have kids, they either see no reason to start, or once they do start their kids in something, are unwilling to make the time for practices.

It is why rec league soccer is so big. Usually practice once a week, play one game a week and that's it. I said REC LEAGUE, I am not talking about tournament teams.
People in general and especially parents with multiple children, are busier now than they were when I was 10 years old in 1972. Usually, both parents work now. My Mom never worked when I was a child. They are spending $ on things that either were not in existence 40 years ago or were basically free...TV, radio, cell phones, internet connection, et al. So I agree with you and can see why and how parents have to pick and choose on what they allow their kids to participate in based on time, effort, interest, cost and chance of injury.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hogsanity

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 09, 2017, 11:56:17 am

Participation in 11-player football was down 25,901 from the previous year, although the numbers in 6- and 8-player football were up from the 2015-16 season. The overall number of participants in football (6, 8, 9 and 11 player) in 2016-17 was 1,086,748, down 25,503 from the 1,112,251 in the 2015-16 season.

While the number of participants in high school football declined, the number of schools offering the sport increased by 52 schools in 11-player – from 14,047 to 14,099 – and by nine schools in 6-, 8- and 9-player – from 1,349 to 1,358.

With 14,099 high schools offering 11-player football, the decrease of 25,901 participants amounts to fewer than two individuals 1.8 per school, and an overall decrease of 2.5 percent.

Football remains the No. 1 participatory sport for boys at the high school level by a large margin. Track and field is second with 600,136 participants, followed by basketball (550,305), baseball (491,790) and soccer (450,234).

https://www.nfhs.org/articles/high-school-sports-participation-increases-for-28th-straight-year-nears-8-million-mark/

by the way those numbers are down from historic highs the fact is that about 1.05 million kids play high school football every year and have for a very long time.

for what it's worth my son played 5 years of pee wee ball and six years of jr. high and high school, went to four years of razorback camp 2 years junior camp 2 years senior camp. the senior camp was during the petrino years. the senior camp was a contact camp and run pretty much by tim horton.

to be honest most of the people saying they wouldn't let their kids play football because of CTE kid's weren't going to play football anyway.

One thing about football, so many "play" because most schools will take however many that go out for play. Southside in FS had like 125 out for football this year, but no where near 125 of them saw playing time ( not even if you count JV games ). I officiated a 8th grade game where one team had about 40 kids and only 14 played all night, the rest just stood there holding their helmets.

Piggfoot

I believe the first step in safety is the removal of the suspension shoulder pads. It is impossible to lead with the top of the shoulder pad without leading with the head. The head gear and face mask should remain to minimize incidental head contact and facial injuries. Additionally, the face mask needs to be redesigned to prevent grabbing the face mask.

Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 11:58:02 am
There is the key though, the OFTEN part. Yes, when a racer slams the wall at 150mph+ it is brutal. How often does an individual that though? And, when a racer does get seriously injured, it is most often head/neck from the whiplash effect of the impact. Football players, especially linemen, take helmet contact almost every play. Minimal, yes often it is minimal, but it still has a cumulative effect.

I never said it didn't. However my sissification statement is about those that don't think anyone should play a sport with any contact lest they get hurt. Players play because they want to. Nobody is forcing them to play. There are actually a couple of rules I would change to make it safer but still not impact the game.

hobhog

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: go hogues on November 09, 2017, 11:38:09 am

Good point. It's already that now though. What % of all college scholarship players are from low income and/or single parent households? I know that can be found but educated guess is 75% or so.

In the NFL, 70% of the players are black, and probably 80% to 90% of them were from lower income households. Fyi: Christian McCaffrey was the first white tailback drafted in the 1st round in 40 years. Still, liability can kill college and NFL faster than anything else...faster than demographic change, than parents' choices, than players' choosing other activities.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 09, 2017, 11:59:33 am
People in general and especially parents with multiple children, are busier now than they were when I was 10 years old in 1972. Usually, both parents work now. My Mom never worked when I was a child. They are spending $ on things that either were not in existence 40 years ago or were basically free...TV, radio, cell phones, internet connection, et al. So I agree with you and can see why and how parents have to pick and choose on what they allow their kids to participate in based on time, effort, interest, cost and chance of injury.

I graduated high school in 1975. Both my parents worked and my sister and I were just as busy as kids today. My parents spent a small fortune on what we wanted to do. They DID have to pick and choose what we did though even back then because they weren't rich or had anymore time than parents today do.

Inhogswetrust

HognotinMemphis

Cars didn't have seatbelts for first 50 or 60 years either. School buses still do not. And they weren't really used by anyone until starting around 1980 or so. My parents never put me in a seatbelt as a child or young teen in '60's and '70's.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: dfwalumdad on November 09, 2017, 11:56:17 am

Is the 6 and 8 player football, which I have never heard of, tackle or flag? Where is it played, smaller schools and/or below high school? Is it offered by public schools or just private/parochial? Is there a 8 player football league among schools and a state championship?

BearsBisonsBoars

Wonder if we'll see heading become ilegal in Soccer, too. Research coming out seems to suggesrt that repeated low impact strikes on the head have the same effect as a concussion.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 09, 2017, 12:07:32 pm
Cars didn't have seatbelts for first 50 or 60 years either. School buses still do not. And they weren't really used by anyone until starting around 1980 or so. My parents never put me in a seatbelt as a child or young teen in '60's and '70's.

Not to mention that people are bigger (more violent impacts) and living longer (more likely to develop brain diseases due to youthful injury)

From Tusk Till Dawn

Technology is the biggest driver for all of this.  They have more tools available now that allow them to measure results and collect data than at any point in history. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 09, 2017, 12:06:53 pm
I graduated high school in 1975. Both my parents worked and my sister and I were just as busy as kids today. My parents spent a small fortune on what we wanted to do. They DID have to pick and choose what we did though even back then because they weren't rich or had anymore time than parents today do.

From my experience today's parents do not put their kids in sports that take up time because of what THE PARENTS want to do. They do not want to tie up Saturdays. They do not want to spend a couple nights a week at a ball field.

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 09, 2017, 12:10:08 pm
Is the 6 and 8 player football, which I have never heard of, tackle or flag? Where is it played, smaller schools and/or below high school? Is it offered by public schools or just private/parochial? Is there a 8 player football league among schools and a state championship?

Tackle. Only a couple schools in Ar play 8 man, and they had to leave the AAA to play it. They play mainly OK schools. OK has 8 man. Texas has 8 and maybe still 6. 8 and 6 are mainly played in Texas and the plains sates like KS, Iowa, Ned, Wy, Nd, Sd.

Ar schools are too proud to play 8 man, even though it would benefit a whole bunch of 2a schools and might even allow some non football schools to start a program.

dfwalumdad

it's smaller schools lot of them in texas  but they're all over and it's full pad football.

From Tusk Till Dawn

I believe tackle, there is a great documentary  on espn called 6 man, you can probably watch online.  Primarily played in very rural areas.

IronHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 09, 2017, 11:53:57 am
Collision sport? Try racing. I agree football can be a brutal type sport moreso than others but others are brutal as well. Maybe not as often but just as brutal.

Bull riding is a rough as it gets
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

DeltaBoy

I been working in a public school for 15 years and the numbers are going down due to laziness, X box and scared Mommy's .

We have 30% of the Kids involved in everything, 30% involved in one or 2 things and 40 % sucking up air and occupying space.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 09, 2017, 01:17:53 pm
I been working in a public school for 15 years and the numbers are going down due to laziness, X box and scared Mommy's .

We have 30% of the Kids involved in everything, 30% involved in one or 2 things and 40 % sucking up air and occupying space.

Maybe the 40% are just not wanting to sit the bench behind the 30% that do everything?

Rudy Baylor

Bob Costas is full of darn

Yes there are effects

And at the same time, there's no push against MMA fighting?

Easily calling BS

hogsanity

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 09, 2017, 01:25:34 pm

Yes there are effects

Easily calling BS

1. There have been calls for MMA to be banned for years, a quick google search will show that.

2. How many kids between ages 5 and 18 are involved in MMA? Now how many play tackle football?

If you do not see the difference you may have one of the brain injuries, but I am guess you are just a troll.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 01:28:32 pm
1. There have been calls for MMA to be banned for years, a quick google search will show that.

2. How many kids between ages 5 and 18 are involved in MMA? Now how many play tackle football?

If you do not see the difference you may have one of the brain injuries, but I am guess you are just a troll.

I"m guessing I played football a lot longer than you did

hogsanity

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 09, 2017, 01:31:22 pm
I"m guessing I played football a lot longer than you did

Oh, I think your posts pretty much prove that.

Rudy Baylor

Hoginsavga

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 09, 2017, 12:14:28 pm
Wonder if we'll see heading become ilegal in Soccer, too. Research coming out seems to suggesrt that repeated low impact strikes on the head have the same effect as a concussion.

Soccer, basketball, baseball, and perhaps some other contact sports should require all participants to wear some form of headgear, IMO. Why not make all sports safer in regard to head injuries. Making sports safer does not lessen the excitement of sports.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hoginsavga on November 09, 2017, 02:42:25 pm
Soccer, basketball, baseball, and perhaps some other contact sports should require all participants to wear some form of headgear, IMO. Why not make all sports safer in regard to head injuries. Making sports safer does not lessen the excitement of sports.

Well, if headgear would stop the brain from sloshing around inside the skull, then that'd be great. That is what causes concussions, the brain hitting the INSIDE of the skull due to sudden stops of the head ( ie hitting another player, or the ground ) or having force exerted against the head ( like another player's head or a fast ball ).  They have done a fine job of protecting the outside of the head. When was the last football player in college or the pros to sustain a skull fracture? I can not remember the last time I heard about that. It is the inside of the head that there is no real way to protect.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 09, 2017, 01:25:34 pm

Yes there are effects

Easily calling BS
Easy, big boy. MMA does not have people doing that at the 7th, 8th, 9th, et al grades and even younger. Nowhere near the numbers in MMA as football at all levels.

Hoginsavga

When I was in high school we had more students injured driving pickups and automobiles than those that were practicing football, basketball, etc. between 3:30 and 6:00pm. Unfortunately some of those injuries were much more serious. So there is a trade off between occupying time between sports or other activities. Sports, even with its downsides, keeps a lot of kids out of other activities that could be lifetime mistakes, such as crimes.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 01:23:00 pm
Maybe the 40% are just not wanting to sit the bench behind the 30% that do everything?

No we have Freshman Football  Gold and Purple, JV 10-12 graders Gold and Purple and a Varsity Squad. Fish play 8 games and some get pulled up for the Playoffs JV plays 10 games and some more get pulled up for playoffs.

They do nothing , are nothing and accomplish Nothing. But they are "X box all americans.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 02:46:06 pm
Well, if headgear would stop the brain from sloshing around inside the skull, then that'd be great. That is what causes concussions, the brain hitting the INSIDE of the skull due to sudden stops of the head ( ie hitting another player, or the ground ) or having force exerted against the head ( like another player's head or a fast ball ).  They have done a fine job of protecting the outside of the head. When was the last football player in college or the pros to sustain a skull fracture? I can not remember the last time I heard about that. It is the inside of the head that there is no real way to protect.

I am aware of that but with foam padding on the inside and outside of the plastic base I would think it would be better than no protection at all. I  am not a doctor nor physicist so I don't even pretend to have an answer for that. Wish I did I would be rich.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

jvanhorn

Are you kidding me?  Football players get hit on the head multiple times during a game.  How often have you ever seen a baseball player hit in the head?  Ribs, butt, legs, back maybe, but you have to be frozen like a deer in the headlights to get hit in the head.