Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coaching Openings

Started by WilsonHog, March 15, 2015, 10:41:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

March 15, 2015, 10:41:02 am Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:58:52 pm by WilsonHog
We track this for CFB. Might as well do one for CBB.

Alabama - Anthony Grant (Fired). IN - Avery Johnson (ESPN analyst).

Arizona State - Herb Sendek (Fired). IN - Bobby Hurley (HC, Buffalo).

Bowling Green - Chris Jans (Fired). IN - Michael Huger (Asst., Miami).

Bradley - Geno Ford (Fired). IN - Brian Wardle (HC, Green Bay).

Buffalo - Bobby Hurley (Arizona St.). IN - Nate Oats (Asst., Buffalo).

Charlotte - Alan Major (Fired). IN - Mark Price (Asst., Charlotte Hornets).

Chattanooga - Will Wade (VCU). IN - Matt McCall (Asst., Florida).

DePaul - Oliver Purnell (Resigned). IN - Dave Leitao (Asst., Tulsa).

East Tennessee St. - Murray Bartow (Fired). IN - Steve Forbes (Asst., Wichita St.).

Holy Cross - Milan Brown (Fired). IN - Bill Carmody (Advisor, Fairfield).

Liberty - Dale Layer (Fired). IN - Ritchie McKay Asst., Virginia).

Mississippi State - Rick Ray (Fired). IN - Ben Howland (Unemployed).

Nevada - David Carter (Fired). IN - Eric Musselman (Asst., LSU).

Penn - Jerome Allen (Resigned). IN - Steve Donahue.

San Diego - Bill Grier (Fired). IN - Lamont Smith (Asst., New Mexico).

SIU Edwardsville - Lennox Forrester (Fired). IN - Jon Harris (Asst. California).

Southeast Missouri St. - Dickey Nutt (Fired). IN - Rick Ray (unemployed).

St. John's - Steve Lavin (Resigned). IN - Chris Mullin (Advisor, Sac Kings).

Tennessee - Donnie Tyndall (Fired). IN - Rick Barnes (HC, Texas).

Texas - Rick Barnes (Resigned). IN - Shaka Smart (HC, VCU).

The Citadel - Chuck Driesell (Contract not renewed). IN - Duggar Baucom (HC, VMI).

UALR - Steve Shields (Fired). IN - Chris Beard (HC, Angelo St.).

UIC - Howard Moore (Fired). IN - Steve McClain (Asst., Indiana).

Utah State - Stew Morrill (Retired). IN - Tim Duryea (Asst., Utah St.)

Utah Valley - Dick Hunsaker (Resigned). IN - Mark Pope (Asst., BYU).

VCU - Shaka Smart (HC, Texas). IN - Will Wade (HC, Chattanooga).

VMI - Duggar Baucom (HC, The Citadel). IN - Dan Earl (Asst., Navy).

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

husker71

I have a feeling that minus a run Lavin may be gone also.  Look for Bobby Hurley

husker71

I talked about this on a previous thread    Will DePaul ever be relevant again?? The have a couple of juniors to be with talent 6'11" Thomas Hamilton and point guard Billy Garrett (asst coach is his dad) but this program which was once a top 10 program has not been even close to good for years.  Suggestions??

Slater

UNC Charlotte open, Melvin Watkins?
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

ChicoHog

I don't know how Oliver Purnell has managed to get job after job.  he really has not done that much anywhere.  Maybe bringing Dayton to the tournament but that's about it.  he skated by at Clemson and got out and then skated by at DePaul.  I don't see him getting another major school job. 

husker71

Murray State coach is rumored at Alabama   but I think they have to think bigger than that   

ChicoHog

Quote from: husker71 on March 17, 2015, 09:53:34 am
Murray State coach is rumored at Alabama   but I think they have to think bigger than that   
I heard Tom Crean rumors today.  maybe he wants to get out of IU before he is forced out if he has another bad/mediocre year?  Bama is not an attractive basketball job but they were pretty decent under CM newton and Wimp Sanderson and even Gottfried did ok.  Grant did practically nothing.

Horthawg

I just read that the UALR job is now open.
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

Doug

Gene Henley ‏@genehenleytfp 1h1 hour ago
BREAKING: Mocs coach Will Wade no longer in the running for UNC Charlotte basketball job http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2015/mar/20/mocs-coach-will-wade-no-longer-running-unc-basketball-job/294387/
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

ricepig

Coach Dickey Nutt has been relieved of his duties at SEMO.

snf6278

Add Herb Sendek, out at Arizona State

WilsonHog

Quote from: snf6278 on March 24, 2015, 12:30:20 pm
Add Herb Sendek, out at Arizona State

Word is that the job is Jeff Capel's if he wants it.

husker71

snf6278

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 24, 2015, 05:09:38 pm
Word is that the job is Jeff Capel's if he wants it.
I just don't think that's the direction they should go. Heard on XM today that there is some interest in Archie Miller. Talk about a true sibling rivalry!

Doug

Quote from: snf6278Add Herb Sendek, out at Arizona State
This one surprises me, a lot. 22 years as a HC and did not play in any tournament only four times. Comes from the Cradle of Coaches (not often that one of those guys gets fired. They tend to leave on their own).

I still need to reach out to him, wherever he lands.
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

passinghog

Quote from: Doug on March 24, 2015, 10:03:49 pm
This one surprises me, a lot. 22 years as a HC and did not play in any tournament only four times. Comes from the Cradle of Coaches (not often that one of those guys gets fired. They tend to leave on their own).

I still need to reach out to him, wherever he lands.

It shouldn't really be surprising. He was 155-133 at Az State. In 21 years as a head coach, his best result was one sweet 16 appearance. That's the definition of mediocre if there ever is one.

husker71

Geno Ford out as HC at Bradley.  That is not a bad place to coach if you can get some Chicago players.  As I have said before you get the right coach at DePaul and you can win same but to a lower level at Bradley.  Lots of talent in those areas.

husker71

Mark Price at UNC Charlotte    I think this is a good hire and may help out some life into this program.  He certainly comes from a coaching family and again as with all job hires I want to see who he gets as assistant coaches.

husker71

Steve Lavin is gone from St Johns and Rick Barnes of Texas is about as close to the edge as you can get according to reports out of Austin today.

husker71

East Tennessee State hires Wichita State asst Steve Forbes who was Pearls asst at Tennessee.  Really good hire as this guy has roots in the state with Pearl and was a juco  coach in the south for a few years.

Thepigdoctor

Barnes officially out at Texas

husker71

where is the rumor of Barnes to Tennessee coming from??  believe me they should grab him if they can. 

Kevin

Congrats to Tim Dureya on being named Head Coach at Utah State. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

husker71

HARD to follow Stew Morrill who twice won 30 games and twice won 28 games and often in the mid 20s   He was a very good coach and a pretty good player back in his day

GoHogs1091

UALR's best option would be to hire Jeremy Cox.  Cox has won a National Championship as a Head Coach in the University of Arkansas System (at UA-Fort Smith).  Plus, Cox has been an Assistant Coach in the SEC (Kentucky), the Big East (USF), the Big 10 (Nebraska), and the Big 12 (Texas A&M and Texas Tech).  He has coached a total of 10 players who have gone on to play in the NBA.  Additionally, he has been named a National Coach of the Year (when he won the NC at UA-Fort Smith).

Cox's overall head coaching record is the following;

9 years    224 wins   65 losses   77.5 winning percentage

An average of 24.8 wins per season and an average of 7.2 losses per season over those 9 seasons.

UALR will be hard pressed to find a better Coach than Cox.

bob slydell

*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

ChicoHog

Quote from: ArmyHawg on March 30, 2015, 09:30:51 pm
Looks like Tenner close to hiring Rick Barnes.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=12588541

Makes sense and is a good choice for them I think. 

MikePiazza

Chris Mullin is at St. John's.

Looks like Shaka Smart might be the guy at Texas.

http://t.co/YpK11GssQT
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

WichitaStateRazorback

ChicoHog

Quote from: WichitaStateRazorback on April 01, 2015, 10:12:51 pm
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/04/gregg_marshall_staying_at_wich.html

Marshall  to stay at Wichita
Good news for the Shockers.  Basketball is #1 there with great community support.  Most schools football is king and if he went to Bama or Texas he can win but football will always be #1 by a mile. 

Doug

Bowling Green just fired Chris Jans due to how he conducted himself, publicly (moral clause in his contract was invoked).

QuoteBG fired coach Chris Jans after an incident an off-campus bar involving inappropriate behavior by Jans towards at least one patron.
--Doug

Dwight_K_Shrute

How Stan Heath and John Leslie haven't landed jobs is beyond me.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Doug

Stan Heath should be a career assistant, not a HC... he's a project, unfortunately.
--Doug

husker71

nothing yet at Arizona State???   any idea what is going on??

jbcarol

Reports that Bobby Hurley was unavailable on preplanned vacation and is their top choice.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaab/asu/2015/04/09/bobby-hurley-emerges-as-strong-candidate-for-asu-basketball-job/25502991

Hurley is vacationing in Aruba, which could be holding up the process, but is expected to return soon. An open recruiting period starts Friday.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

husker71

Is the Utah Valley new HC Mark Pope the Washington State and Kentucky Mark POpe???

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: husker71 on April 08, 2015, 03:51:53 pm

Supposedly, they thought Capel was their man but the shoe companies became involved.  Capel is back with Coach K who is huge for Nike.  ASU is an Adidas school.  Hurley not being with Coach K right now may not bring in his influence.  Crazy how influential the shoe companies are.  Adidas and Howland going to Miss St.     
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jbcarol

Quote from: husker71 on April 09, 2015, 04:34:01 pm
Is the Utah Valley new HC Mark Pope the Washington State and Kentucky Mark POpe???

Yeap
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: husker71 on April 08, 2015, 03:51:53 pm

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  14h 14 hours ago

Bobby Hurley is the new coach at Arizona State, multiple industry sources told ESPN.

Sometimes even when pen hits paper. RT @kmattio: Bobby Hurley to ASU. See? Agreeing to terms on extension means zilch until pen hits paper.

husker71

he better grab at least 1 SoCal recruiter otherwise he will be in it deep   You are already 2nd in a state that does not produce enough talent to keep you afloat  and up against Sean Miller and staff    When Sendek got PG Carson it was a big get BUT you need that and about 3 others over a 2 year period to be relevant in this conference.

ChicoHog

Wow.  Hurley gets the AZ st job?  it doesn't seem he's been the HC at Buffalo very long.  That is a huge step.  Hope he does well.  There is no reason they should not compete with AZ.  Like a previous poster said he needs to get into SoCal.  Az recruits nationally thanks to Lute Olson's success and Sean miller is a darn good coach also. But Phoenix is such a nicer area than Tucson in my opinion. 

husker71

just an update on some assistant coaching moves.  Mullin at St Johns has grabbed Barry Rohrrson from Kentucky to his staff.  Rohrrson is considered a top east coast recruiter who specializes in New York City.  At Mississippi State Howland has brought in long time former  assistant Ernie Ziegler.  Ziegler was former head coach at Central Michigan and worked for Howland at both Pitt and UCLA>  I saw a article today about the renewed interest by some top players in Mississippi State basketball.

Darren DeLoach

Dwayne Stephens of Mich St., Rick Ray formerly of Mississippi St., and Issac Chew of Va Tech. appear to be the finalists for the HC position at SEMO. Will be announced today at 5:30.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

husker71

did Ray have a buyout or time left on his contract with Miss St??