Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turned over a new Leaf

Started by RebelW, September 26, 2016, 10:29:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelW

You can look back at all my recent posts, and you will find that I have been VERY pro-Bielema and giving him the time that he needs to get this program where it needs to be and the faith that he would do so. If we do not win 10 games this year, then I believe it's time to move on. His philosophy so far Defensively is getting us killed year after year. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm ready to get there instead of the ole "next year is our year" we need a big change. I can handle our offense to a degree. Pro or spread as long as we are explosive but the lac of tenacity on defense is sickening. Last year for CBB if he don't win 10 games. Please. I don't want to wait 20 years for another natty

Kevin

your expecting ten wins from a team that is replacing:
qb
2 rb
all American te
3 offensive lineman

you might as well call for his firing now
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

JaketheSnake

10 wins or can him.  Seems reasonable.  By reasonable, I actually mean really dumb.  We just lost a neutral site game to a top 10 team.  2 weeks after we beat a top 15 team in their house. 

I remember the Vandy game where I flipped my support on Houston Nutt.  We had no business losing to Vandy at home and many of the other loses 6-7 years into his tenure.  CBB is still showing progress.  We are a top 25 team right now and going to be hosting Bama with 1 loss in two weeks. 

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: RebelW on September 26, 2016, 10:29:17 am
You can look back at all my recent posts, and you will find that I have been VERY pro-Bielema and giving him the time that he needs to get this program where it needs to be and the faith that he would do so. If we do not win 10 games this year, then I believe it's time to move on. His philosophy so far Defensively is getting us killed year after year. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. I'm ready to get there instead of the ole "next year is our year" we need a big change. I can handle our offense to a degree. Pro or spread as long as we are explosive but the lac of tenacity on defense is sickening. Last year for CBB if he don't win 10 games. Please. I don't want to wait 20 years for another natty

10 wins... GTFO
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

DiamondHogFan

If Bielema were to go 9-4 (after bowl game) and we then fired him...who in the world would want to come be our coach?

PorkRinds

Lol. Good lord some of you...

RME

*pitches 2 shutouts on LSU and Ole Miss back to back*

S.A.D.C

I have been in the same boat- very pro CBB.  But I am seeing some things that are causing me to re-evaluate.  And, honestly, it isn't because we lost the game.  It is HOW we are losing.  I can deal with the struggles on Defense.  We haven't had a good defense in a decade it seems.  We need better players there and that takes time, blah blah blah- I can buy all that. 

What I can't deal with:  a TERRIBLE O-line.  How can a BB coached team be that bad in the Oline this far into his program?  We have a kid playing guard that was a very inexperienced D Lineman last year!  He might end up being great (I actually believe that is likely) but there is no way in BB's system we should have him starting a guard in his first year playing OLine. 

Also:  turnovers, penalties, and special teams- we are bad in all three of those areas.   

Kevin

I knew the worm was going to turn on cbb in year 4, by some fans
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

rzrbkman

CBB may eventually lead Arkansas to a National Football Championship, but you will probably need to start supporting somewhere creepy like Baylor or Penn St. to get what it is that you deem a "natty". CBB don't play that!

Hog N Bama

I too have supported CBB all along and still do. However, I just cannot let him off the hook on the OL situation.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Kevin on September 26, 2016, 10:31:57 am
your expecting ten wins from a team that is replacing:
qb - statistically the 3rd best QB in school history
2 rb - statistically 2 of the top 10 RBs in school history
all American te - statistically the best TE in school history
3 offensive lineman - 1 AA, 1 3 year starter, 1 2 year starter

you might as well call for his firing now

It's even more absurd what OP said when you look at WHO we lost.

ThisTeetsTaken

You guys waiting on that "natty" would be happier rooting for one of the elite programs around the country.  Arkansas is a middle of the road program.  I don't expect us to win national title ever.  When you come to terms with the truth you'll feel much better.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

PorkRinds

The OL is really the only area I can go after him on. Pittman'a recruiting strategy of only taking a few highly rated guys has backfired and now we are in a hole there and making seemingly desperate moves. No excuses there.  That said, if Kirkland hadn't made a huge mistake and gone pro too early we'd be in pretty darn good shape at OL.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 26, 2016, 10:42:15 am

honest question:  does how this team has performed this year (not just the record- but the actual quality of play) impact your view if CBB and the direction this team is going? 

Jim Harris

maybe you could go help them recruit some 4 and 5 star LBs, safeties and DEs, because they need more of those for the defense to live up to your hopes. If Bielema isn't that guy, then who is? Who is going to bring the magic touch that convinces enough out-of-state defensive stars to come to Arkansas? Because the state isn't producing them. Be thankful the state has produced the likes of Agim, Ellis, Beanum, Greenlaw and Liddell but you're asking whoever coaches here to convince some difference-maker to turn down his home state school or a team that can promise national championship contention to get those star-type players to come to Fayetteville.

Arkansas is lucky to have Bielema and to have a program that overall the fans can be proud of for the actions on and off the field.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

holman24

i have said all a long that his style of play will never win us even a sec champ because we can not recruit the players we need with this style of play the big boys will always get the better ath.  we r and will always be an also ran unless we try something new like we did with Bobby.  yes our coach is doing everything rite off the field but on the field we r not even close to the top level in our league.  our coach will never ever get us to the top with his offense and defensive style we must be different in our approach and our def is the worst part of the team maybe time to up grade our asst to someone who can recruit def players that will work in his system. especial the 4 th qrt our def seem to always fall apart

RME

You'd think we were 0-4 by some of these moronic comments.

We're 3-1 and lost to a top 10 team.

Bielema didn't fumble the ball. Reed did.
Bielema didn't fumble the ball. Rawleigh did.
Bielema didn't give up the sack that caused Allen to fumble.

You guys are so hell-bent on just wallowing in pity that you overlook how close that game could've been, and the fact that we're still 3-1, about to be 4-1, with our best home slate of games in recent history coming up.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 26, 2016, 10:42:15 am

Yeah, firing a head coach after losing to a top 10 team would be about the dumbest thing we could do.

PorkRinds

Quote from: S.A.D.C on September 26, 2016, 10:55:16 am
honest question:  does how this team has performed this year (not just the record- but the actual quality of play) impact your view if CBB and the direction this team is going?

Nope. I still see upward momentum.

elkhog

I am expecting 8 season wins this year.  That would be a good season.  Seven just blah, average, should be more in year four.  Six wins and he's not making any progress period.  Doesn't matter who he had to replace.  In year four, you should have your roster ready.
GO HOGS!!!

JaketheSnake

Quote from: S.A.D.C on September 26, 2016, 10:55:16 am
Well, an offseason concern was a slow start.  We are 4-1.  Id say the direction is going well right now.  The loss Saturday sucks.  We are going to be hosting Bama at 5-1 as a top 25 team.

hogblitz

It should be EXPECTED to have his best record yet in Year 4.  The bar is set pretty low considering the most he has won is 8 games.  To me, that means a MINIMUM of 9 wins after the bowl game. No more excuses.  This is a results driven profession in which he is getting paid millions to WIN.  Quite frankly, I still feel fairly confident he will win at least 9.  I guess we will see.  My opinion will be based on the final season record. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: elkhog on September 26, 2016, 11:03:09 am
I am expecting 8 season wins this year.  That would be a good season.  Seven just blah, average, should be more in year four.  Six wins and he's not making any progress period.  Doesn't matter who he had to replace.  In year four, you should have your roster ready.
I agree.  If we only get to 6 wins, that is a let down and his seat will get a little bit warm.  Not hot enough to fire, but some pressure to win will come. 

B501

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 26, 2016, 11:00:24 am
You guys are so hell-bent on just wallowing in pity that you overlook how close that game could've been

Coulda, shoulda, woulda, doesnt matter - still got outcoached

rzrbkman

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 26, 2016, 11:00:24 am
You'd think we were 0-4 by some of these moronic comments.

We're 3-1 and lost to a top 10 team.

Bielema didn't fumble the ball. Reed did.
Bielema didn't fumble the ball. Rawleigh did.
Bielema didn't give up the sack that caused Allen to fumble.

You guys are so hell-bent on just wallowing in pity that you overlook how close that game could've been, and the fact that we're still 3-1, about to be 4-1, with our best home slate of games in recent history coming up.

and Bielema did not make multiple poor attempts at arm tackling, instead of body tackling. The Razorback defense did.

HillBillyHogfan

Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

PorkRinds

I see 8 wins and 9 of we win the bowl game. To me, that's progression upward and sets up next season pretty well with a More seasoned OL to keep AA off his back and make holes for the RBs.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: hogblitz on September 26, 2016, 11:03:57 am
It should be EXPECTED to have his best record yet in Year 4.  The bar is set pretty low considering the most he has won is 8 games.  To me, that means a MINIMUM of 9 wins after the bowl game. No more excuses.  This is a results driven profession in which he is getting paid millions to WIN.  Quite frankly, I still feel fairly confident he will win at least 9.  I guess we will see.  My opinion will be based on the final season record. 
So then next year its 10 wins or fire him?  Then 11?  Then we better win a Natty every single year or fire him?

rzrbkman

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 26, 2016, 11:03:29 am
Well, an offseason concern was a slow start.  We are 4-1.  Id say the direction is going well right now.  The loss Saturday sucks.  We are going to be hosting Bama at 5-1 as a top 25 team.

What game did I miss?

hobhog

Quote from: Hog N Bama on September 26, 2016, 10:50:14 am
I too have supported CBB all along and still do. However, I just cannot let him off the hook on the OL situation.

Been one of the best Olines in the game past few years and then when having a bad game or two you are ready to quit and turn into a hater

Good stuff....

JaketheSnake

Quote from: rzrbkman on September 26, 2016, 11:07:23 am
What game did I miss?
Sorry, adding one in my head.  You still get the point being made.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Kevin on September 26, 2016, 10:46:05 am

He does have to make some progress.  I'm not for firing him after our bowl game this season, but there's zero reason not to give him an ultimatum after our bowl and heading into next season.  If he feels that he can't get us into the SEC Championship game in '17, maybe he should move along.  Waiting 5 years for major improvement is way too long.

For the record. if we do improve this season (and we should) and he ends up getting the Hogs into a better bowl game than the lowly Liberty or Texas bowl, he'll have some pressure taken off him.  There's no reason for this team NOT to be playing in the Sugar, Citrus, Outback or Gator this season.

jm

It is probably an over reaction on your part, but our D was horrible last weekend. It is hard to see any way we can be even close to competative against anyone when you give up almost 600 yards to a aTm offense that completes passes in the 50% range.

RME

Quote from: b501 on September 26, 2016, 11:05:36 am
Coulda, shoulda, woulda, doesnt matter - still got outcoached

Yeah, by a pretty salty coach. If Mark Stoops had outcoached us, I'd be a lot more concerned. Sumlin isn't a slouch.

orvillesghost

The problem with some of these arguments is that no matter what offense you run, you still are going to have to recruit defensive players at a top level in the SEC and this is something Arkansas has NEVER been able to do, no matter who the coach is.

I am an Arkansas fan, I always will be but the program has limitations, some of which it cannot control. If you expect Arkansas to contend for a SEC title and NC every year, you are always going to be disappointed.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on September 26, 2016, 10:46:05 am

Coaches usually lose fans as they go.  This isn't surprising in year 4.  The upperclassmen were mostly recruited in the 2012 debacle and 2013 class.  To be in the top 20, having won 9 of our last 11 including a bowl and multiple top 25 wins at this point isn't bad. 
Quote from: S.A.D.C on September 26, 2016, 10:43:20 am
I have been in the same boat- very pro CBB.  But I am seeing some things that are causing me to re-evaluate.  And, honestly, it isn't because we lost the game.  It is HOW we are losing.  I can deal with the struggles on Defense.  We haven't had a good defense in a decade it seems.  We need better players there and that takes time, blah blah blah- I can buy all that. 

What I can't deal with:  a TERRIBLE O-line.  How can a BB coached team be that bad in the Oline this far into his program?  We have a kid playing guard that was a very inexperienced D Lineman last year!  He might end up being great (I actually believe that is likely) but there is no way in BB's system we should have him starting a guard in his first year playing OLine. 

Also:  turnovers, penalties, and special teams- we are bad in all three of those areas.   

The mental mistakes were very concerning.  The red zone play calling although some of that was made to look worse by execution was concerning. 

ST's is lack of depth.  The step back in oline play is because we haven't built depth.  Hard to do in 3 full classes and a partial off of the 2012 season.  Remarkable we were able to get Kirkland and Skipper. 

The Oline recruiting:
Skipper
Kirkland
Koehler
McClure - JC

Wallace
Ragnow
Allen
Tretola - JC
Gibson

Froholdt - converted dline
Merrick
Rogers
Jackson

Heinrich
Ramirez - JC
Malone - JC
Raulerson - Transfer in

Not hard to figure out why we are where we are with the oline.  Skipper only one left from the '13 class.  Wallace, Gibson and Ragnow all that is left from the '14 class.  Can't expect an oline to be built to reload this way.  It is why we accepted the Texas grad. 

Now if you want to say we should be recruiting oline better and with more numbers, okay.  We have three 3 star OT commits right now for the oline.  I would say that needs to get better including with numbers.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: jm on September 26, 2016, 11:08:51 am
It is probably an over reaction on your part, but our D was horrible last weekend. It is hard to see any way we can be even close to competative against anyone when you give up almost 600 yards to a aTm offense that completes passes in the 50% range.

Our defense was good until the second half.

rzrbkman

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 26, 2016, 11:06:57 am
So then next year its 10 wins or fire him?  Then 11?  Then we better win a Natty every single year or fire him?

Nope. The year the Hogs win all 12 regular season games, SEC Championship game and 3 games in the playoffs(it will be 8 teams by then) to finish 16-0, the NCAA will then require them to begin playing a NFL schedule.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 26, 2016, 11:06:52 am
I see 8 wins and 9 of we win the bowl game. To me, that's progression upward and sets up next season pretty well with a More seasoned OL to keep AA off his back and make holes for the RBs.

I don't even think a program like Arkansas should have a minimum number of wins each year for their HC to keep his job.

BUT, I do think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that by season 4 that we will no longer have to hear excuses about "well he lost this player, or he lost that player"

Especially when we are talking about a coach who is supposedly building a winning program .

I just looked in at 247 sports, and see that we don't have a single 4 star recruit committed in the 2017 class. THAT should get a coach on the hot seat, if not outright fired.

hogman78

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 26, 2016, 11:06:57 am

It's a tired argument, isn't it? At what point do "fans" leave well enough alone? I see progress overall. Therefore, I am content.

elksnort

This is a horrible thread that I just wasted time posting on....

RME

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 26, 2016, 11:12:04 am
I just looked in at 247 sports, and see that we don't have a single 4 star recruit committed in the 2017 class. THAT should get a coach on the hot seat, if not outright fired.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Some people are just helpless.

Atlhogfan1

I don't even think a program like Arkansas should have a minimum number of wins each year for their HC to keep his job.

BUT, I do think it's perfectly reasonable to expect that by season 4 that we will no longer have to hear excuses about "well he lost this player, or he lost that player"

Especially when we are talking about a coach who is supposedly building a winning program .

Why by season 4?  Because we recruit so well and started off at such a solid point we should just reload? 

Look again.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogman78

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits

Try again

goodguytex

My standards are a little different... I said from the beginning I would give bielema five years to fully get his system in place. Judge him accordingly. Definition of success to me is improving every year. We have done that. That may be continuing this year. If so, he has fulfilled my expectations. My expectations for next year and 2018 is to be competing for the SEC West and to win 10 games or better one of those years. If we aren't bowl eligible or regress either of those years, I will be expecting a change in the direction of the program.

One of those years... 17 or 18 should be our year for everything to come together. We will see if it happens. But so far, I'm happy with where we are going.

And... This year isn't over yet. We've played four games. For all I know we may win out. Or not. Let's wait and see how the season goes before judging the success or lack thereof of this season. After four games is the wrong time to do that. Especially the wrong time with a 3-1 record.

ThisTeetsTaken

If that's true about our 2017 class it's stunning.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on September 26, 2016, 11:17:56 am
If that's true about our 2017 class it's stunning.

Stunning is someone dumb enough to believe that statement. 

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: hogman78 on September 26, 2016, 11:17:05 am

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits

Try again

Ok, that's just strange. When I looked at earlier it showed all 3 star recruits, o 4 star.

DERPs on me I guess.

hogman78

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on September 26, 2016, 11:18:52 am
Ok, that's just strange. When I looked at earlier it showed all 3 star recruits, o 4 star.

DERPs on me I guess.

Been there ✌️️