Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thog cooked up a great fried turkey at the tailgate

Started by Jim Harris, November 23, 2005, 10:40:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

I was fascinated by this. I've seen several variations of the fried turkey, mostly with the injector method. I've seen my brother basically soak the bird in marinade and then watch all the marinade come right out into the oil.
THog and his friends rubbed the heck out of this bird on Saturday at the Misssissippi State tailgate with, and this whas what surprised me: Zatarain's shrimp/crab boil. THog said he liked the lemon seasoning that was in it and it gave it a great finish.
They lathered this bird  all up with the cayanne/paprika heavy seasoning, then sat the bird in bubbling oil at 350 degrees. The general rule of thumb is 3 and a half minutes of frying for every pound of bird. This 13-pounder needed more than 40 MINUTES! They hedged a little to to the long side and went 52 minutes (4 minutes per pound for  you non-math folks).
It was perfect. The meat was still moist, tender and DE-figgin'-vine.
Coupled with catfish fillets that THog had brought and battered, and brisket and more from our side of the tailgate, it was one helluva feast.
Sorry to those of you who missed it (more food for us!). ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

mikeb

Fried turkey the only way too fly ;)......I have a couple different rubs there all good ;D.........I like too inject as well

Inigo Montoya

msudawgs64

yeah that turkey and catfish was awesome.  thog, I got hungry on the way down to BR and stopped and got some catfish, it paled in comparision man.

If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

T-hawg

Thanks for the props. Believe it or not, that was my first deep fried turkey. And your right, it was moist and delicious.

Lets go ahead and plan the next tailgate and we will do a crawfish boil.

See yall in the promise land with our savior. And by promise land i mean National Championship Bowl. And by savior I mean someone else besides Nuttless Nutt.

GHG
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

mikeb

Quote from: thog on November 23, 2005, 12:37:30 pm
Thanks for the props. Believe it or not, that was my first deep fried turkey. And your right, it was moist and delicious.

Lets go ahead and plan the next tailgate and we will do a crawfish boil.

See yall in the promise land with our savior. And by promise land i mean National Championship Bowl. And by savior I mean someone else besides Nuttless Nutt.

GHG
I plan on doing a crawfish boil this spring at a Baseball tailgate when their good and fresh

T-hawg

I'm going to hold you to it mikeb. Let me know what I need to bring. We get enough mudbugs, I can bring my 5gal pot and we can cook up a mess of em. 

Man you got me ready for some good tail biten and head suckin' .  ::)

I was talking about the mudbugs you dirty minded folk. Next thing ya know, folks will start using Casey Dick's name in insinuating headlines... oops called that one!!

Let me know and we can make it happen.

Shag66

If you guys need another cooker let me know.  I have one with the shrimp pot ( big ol' pot with holes all in it) and I am about a stones throw from Baum. 

Jim Harris

Quote from: RazorRichard on February 02, 2006, 12:19:07 pm
Quote from: Shag66 on February 02, 2006, 12:16:31 pm
If you guys need another cooker let me know.  I have one with the shrimp pot ( big ol' pot with holes all in it) and I am about a stones throw from Baum. 

Thanks Shag. We'll hold ya to it.

Richard, we  need to have a shrimp boil for one of the early games, along with all the other goodies.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

T-hawg

I talked to a buddy of mine down in Monroe, LA and he said with the hurricanes last year flooding everything, the mudbugs will be rampent. Should be cheap to. Shrimp will probably be the same. Definitely have a craws and shrimps at the May tailgate.

Shag66

Quote from: RazorRichard on February 02, 2006, 12:19:07 pm
Quote from: Shag66 on February 02, 2006, 12:16:31 pm

Thanks Shag. We'll hold ya to it.

No problem at all!

Hawgballer

Quote from: thog on February 02, 2006, 01:35:42 pm
I talked to a buddy of mine down in Monroe, LA and he said with the hurricanes last year flooding everything, the mudbugs will be rampent. Should be cheap to. Shrimp will probably be the same. Definitely have a craws and shrimps at the May tailgate.

Be wary of any seafood coming from the gulf or any crawfish from the new orleans area for the next couple years....Benzene spills in New orleans during Hurricane Katrina is not being talked about but is a very serious hazard!

T-hawg

Hawgballer, thx for the heads up. May have to get it from the farms around here.

Hawgballer

Quote from: thog on February 02, 2006, 06:54:45 pm
Hawgballer, thx for the heads up. May have to get it from the farms around here.

no doubt.