Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wingo question

Started by OneLardAlmighty, February 05, 2009, 10:25:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

OneLardAlmighty

I'm thrilled about Wingo, but I have a question.  It may have been hashed out before and I don't want it to be taken the wrong way.  I'm not questioning his talent.  He's regarded as top 100 and he obviously had a lot of offers from big schools. 

But compared to any number of backs we have signed in the past, including some like DeArrius Howard who didn't quite live up to expectations, his HS stats aren't all that gaudy:  1500 yards and some change as a jr and 1400 plus as a senior, I believe I read.  Take away the 400 yard game this season and that would leave him at an avg. of somewhere around 100 ypg., depending on the number of games.  Again, I'm pulling all this off the top of my head from something I saw a couple of days ago, so I could be off a bit.  I couldn't find the # of carries or his ypc average.

So my ? is this:  does anybody know why Wingo's numbers were very good, but not eye-popping?  Was he injured?  Did he not get the ball that often?  Was his line overmatched? 

I'm not dissing him; everybody thinks he'll be a great player, and I have no reason to doubt it. It just seems odd, and I was curious.  Sorry if it's been addressed before.

OKhogfan1959

No comparison to Howard and Wingo..Wingo has real speed and not made up 40 times.

One thing for sure..No one will play for Petrino if they don't deserve to play..I will never forget sitting through losing to Vandy and DMac and Felix sitting on the bench..About as pissed as I have seen the Hogfans. Walking out of that stadium was really hard.

hogzilla3

I'm sure he wouldn't have been a US Army All-American if he was anywhere near mediocrity

OneLardAlmighty

Quote from: LawnHog48 on February 05, 2009, 10:29:35 am
No comparison to Howard and Wingo..Wingo has real speed and not made up 40 times.

One thing for sure..No one will play for Petrino if they don't deserve to play..I will never forget sitting through losing to Vandy and DMac and Felix sitting on the bench..About as pissed as I have seen the Hogfans. Walking out of that stadium was really hard.

I certainly don't mean to compare Howard and Wingo, and I don't mean to cast doubt on Wingo in any way.  My only point in bringing up Howard is to point out how often backs who have very average college careers often have ungodly h.s. stats.  D-1 backs often seem to have little trouble breaking 2000 yards in a season as the h.s. level.  (It seems like this was the case for Harold Harris, who never even say the field as a tb and Andre Ackee.) 

Obviously there are a lot of variables that factor into that--type of offense, quality of team, quality of competition, but I was struck that Wingo's numbers, while nothing to sneeze at, were not insane.  I figure there must be a reason (am I imagining that he may have sprained his ankle?)  I was just wondering if anybody knew a reason what it was.

pedrothelion

IMO I think that part of Howard's problem was that the former staff got him too big.  He was explosive his freshmen year, but with each consecutive year he got bigger and at the same time lost burst and quickness.  I think this staff know what it's doing as far as how to physically develop players.

hogzilla3

Quote from: pedrothelion on February 05, 2009, 10:40:09 am
IMO I think that part of Howard's problem was that the former staff got him too big.  He was explosive his freshmen year, but with each consecutive year he got bigger and at the same time lost burst and quickness.  I think this staff know what it's doing as far as how to physically develop players.
I think you are correct sir,,,, he bulked up way too much which in turn slowed him down.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: pedrothelion on February 05, 2009, 10:40:09 am

I whole heartedly agree..Decker transformed him into two big. Same thing he did to Cobbs. I was always afraid Decker would bulk up DMac.

Zen_Hog

Howard was fast, Decker screwed him up.

He showed his speed at the NFL combine running in the 4.3 range.

pedrothelion

February 05, 2009, 10:51:30 am #8 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:40:17 pm by pedrothelion
I'm sure BP was more or less looking at film and not really worried about numbers.  He has all the physical tools.  I think BP listed him at 6'3" 220lbs at the pc yesterday.  You think about that size and the fact that he runs a 4.41 40 and has run something like a 21.76 200 meter dash.  I'm sure the staff has a plan on how to physical develop him and how to use him.

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on February 05, 2009, 10:43:53 am
Howard was fast, Decker screwed him up.

He showed his speed at the NFL combine running in the 4.3 range.

Really? Wow. It didn't show up on the field. Good kid and played hard. I certainly don't want to bash him in any way.

Pedrothlion? 21.76 200 yard dash? Was this at a track meet?

Root66

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on February 05, 2009, 10:25:07 am
I'm thrilled about Wingo, but I have a question.  It may have been hashed out before and I don't want it to be taken the wrong way.  I'm not questioning his talent.  He's regarded as top 100 and he obviously had a lot of offers from big schools. 

But compared to any number of backs we have signed in the past, including some like DeArrius Howard who didn't quite live up to expectations, his HS stats aren't all that gaudy:  1500 yards and some change as a jr and 1400 plus as a senior, I believe I read.  Take away the 400 yard game this season and that would leave him at an avg. of somewhere around 100 ypg., depending on the number of games.  Again, I'm pulling all this off the top of my head from something I saw a couple of days ago, so I could be off a bit.  I couldn't find the # of carries or his ypc average.

So my ? is this:  does anybody know why Wingo's numbers were very good, but not eye-popping?  Was he injured?  Did he not get the ball that often?  Was his line overmatched? 

I'm not dissing him; everybody thinks he'll be a great player, and I have no reason to doubt it. It just seems odd, and I was curious.  Sorry if it's been addressed before.

This may help a bit.

http://www.sluh.org/athletics/2008/fall/football/varsity/news/814/

By the way. St. Louis University High School didn't have one other player signed by a Div I school yesterday, if that tells you anything. Wingo played on a very average 7-3 team. Wingo averaged 6.1 yards/per carry over three years.

Hogbody

Wingo broke something like 12 of his schools records.  I think he'll be just fine.

PigPusher

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on February 05, 2009, 10:25:07 am

Remember always it takes eleven men. No one man makes up for that. There are individuals out there that are way more expert than I to evaluate recruits. With that if they say he is that good I will accept that assessment.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: pedrothelion on February 05, 2009, 10:51:30 am
I'm sure BP was more or less looking at film and not really worried about numbers.  He has all the physical tools.  I think BP listed him at 6'3" 220lbs at the pc yesterday.  You think about that size and the fact that he runs a 4.41 40 and has run something like a 21.76 200 yard dash.  I'm sure the staff has a plan on how to physical develop him and how to use him.

think that would be 200 meters.
[CENSORED]!