Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One more reason to hate Boise State (if you needed one)

Started by IronMountainHog, December 31, 2012, 07:07:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronMountainHog

Just saw where Boise is backing out of joining the Big East next year so they can stay in the watered down Mountain West. The Big East is penalizing them 5 million, which the MWC is going to help them pay. Just when you thought they were gonna step and a play someone tough, they run back to playing New Mexico State and the like.

rhog1

The Mountain West is probably stronger than whats left of the Big East. The Big East is a dumpster fire.

lilRockNDubb

You do know the Big East is basically being dismantled and is on their last leg right?

oldfart

lotta miles for them to travel for boise to play big east teams

Razorsaw

I am not a Boise fan, but I can not blame them for this. The big east they thought they were joining exsist no more. As of today the big east consist of 3 teams, if my math is correct. This ridiculous overhaul of the big east is a joke and I actually think the MWC will be the better confrance.

jry04

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 31, 2012, 07:07:57 pm
Just saw where Boise is backing out of joining the Big East next year so they can stay in the watered down Mountain West. The Big East is penalizing them 5 million, which the MWC is going to help them pay. Just when you thought they were gonna step and a play someone tough, they run back to playing New Mexico State and the like.
Lol..play someone tough? The Big East is likely going to be extinct with everyone leaving for the ACC, and the basketball schools forming their own conference. The Big East is going to be a mid-major conference comprising of teams from all over the country. It doesn't make sense for them to go to the Big East. They didn't play a down, and the Big East is making them pay an exit fee. Very silly to hold this against Boise.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on December 31, 2012, 07:11:00 pm
You do know the Big East is basically being dismantled and is on their last leg right?
I am aware, but even with the teams left it is better than the MWC.
Boise would have trouble with any of these remaining teams-

East Carolina
South Florida
Cincinnati
Navy
UConn
Tulane
San Diego State (who gave BSU at beating at home this year)
SMU
Houston
Memphis
UCF
Temple

It's not great, but a step up nonetheless

Wild Bill Hog

Tim Harris

The Big East lost its automatic tie in. There is no reason to join a conference thousands of miles away preventing your fans from traveling to any road games. This is a smart move on their part.

jry04

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 31, 2012, 07:19:55 pm

East Carolina
South Florida
Cincinnati
Navy
UConn
Tulane
SMU
Houston
Memphis
UCF
Temple

Look at the geography of that conference. It isn't that strong of a conference, and the travel is ridiculous. They will not be promised a spot in a major bowl like the Big East use to be, and they definitely won't get a spot in the playoffs by joining the conference. There are not any benefits from joining this conference, and some of those schools may end up backing out, too.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 31, 2012, 07:23:19 pm
The Big East lost its automatic tie in. There is no reason to join a conference thousands of miles away preventing your fans from traveling to any road games. This is a smart move on their part.
plus they don't have to play anyone good in conference for the 15th straight year.

hogcard1964

TexHog188

It was a mistake to consider the Big East in the first place for many reasons.  The only viable reason was to get into an AQ conference.  With a 4 team playoff coming, and undefeated Boise St in the WAC probably gets a shot at the playoff in some years since they are media darlings and do well in the human polls.  Therefore they can achieve their goal of getting a shot at the BCS championship, without all the negatives of traveling to the East coast multiple times per year to play tougher competion and risk the 1-2 loses per year.

It is a smart move for BS, but yes it's another reason to hate them.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 31, 2012, 07:19:55 pm

East Carolina
South Florida
Cincinnati
Navy
UConn
Tulane
SMU
Houston
Memphis
UCF
Temple

The geography of that conference for Boise would be like Arkansas joining the PAC 12

IronMountainHog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 31, 2012, 07:29:40 pm
Just wondering, why do people here hate Boise St?
blue turf, ESPN love, lack of quality opponents, Kellen Moore lovefest which after all the talk of how great he was, he went undrafted, HDN coached there, all the great coaches who won big there sucked as soon as they left (Koetter, Hawkins), the players from the Netherlands who play for them (a little foreign exchange student racket) that the NCAA caught on to, just to name a few.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on December 31, 2012, 07:36:55 pm
The geography of that conference for Boise would be like Arkansas joining the PAC 12
they signed up for it, no one held a gun to their head. SDSU is even further and they are still going.

passinghog

They're quickly becoming irrelevant to major college football.

IronMountainHog

Here is their OOC schedule for next year.

Washington 7-6 this year. Lost to Boise 28-26 in Vegas Bowl

Tennessee-Martin 8-3 Missouri Valley Conference

BYU 8-5 this year. Lost to Boise 7-6

Southern Miss 0-12 this year

Where is Oregon, Bama, Florida, Georgia? I thought they wanted some respect by playing a tough schedule?

Tim Harris

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 31, 2012, 07:39:19 pm
they signed up for it, no one held a gun to their head. SDSU is even further and they are still going.

It isn't a smart move for them either.

Tim Harris

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 31, 2012, 07:53:17 pm
Here is their OOC schedule for next year.

Washington 7-6 this year. Lost to Boise 28-26 in Vegas Bowl

Tennessee-Martin 8-3 Missouri Valley Conference

BYU 8-5 this year. Lost to Boise 7-6

Southern Miss 0-12 this year

Where is Oregon, Bama, Florida, Georgia? I thought they wanted some respect by playing a tough schedule?

You seem to have a lot of anger towards them for no real reason. Just say you don't like them and move along.

MC_Hog

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 31, 2012, 07:07:57 pm

You haven't had power in a loooong time have you, The Big East has fell apart.

hogcard1964

Quote from: IronMountainHog on December 31, 2012, 07:37:44 pm
blue turf, ESPN love, lack of quality opponents, Kellen Moore lovefest which after all the talk of how great he was, he went undrafted, HDN coached there, all the great coaches who won big there sucked as soon as they left (Koetter, Hawkins), the players from the Netherlands who play for them (a little foreign exchange student racket) that the NCAA caught on to, just to name a few.

They don't bother me.  They always seemed pretty classy.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: Tim Harris on December 31, 2012, 07:56:41 pm
You seem to have a lot of anger towards them for no real reason. Just say you don't like them and move along.
I don't like them, and my reason is they do not play anyone. Arkansas plays a tougher schedule in October than they do in a year. Therefore they go 12-1 and take up a spot in a bowl for a team that deserves to be there.

lilRockNDubb

They saw dollar signs and an automatic bid. Bid gone money gone. So it was in their best interest to stay.

IronMountainHog

Quote from: MC_Hog on December 31, 2012, 07:58:03 pm
You haven't had power in a loooong time have you, The Big East has fell apart.
I have power. I showed you above the new Big East roster. Is it a joke? Yes. Is it a better conference than MWC? Yes. Logistically does it make sense? No.

98hogs

Albie

Hog918

SDSU is going back to the MWC also, according to what I heard right after the Catholic schools left the Big East.  Tulsa, most likely, is headed to the MWC also.

whosiskid

I do not hate Boise State for this at all. Their joining the Big East with all the plane travel it would have entailed always struck me as insanity. My guess is that Petersen probably told them that he was going to leave if BSU stayed in the Big East.

I applaud this move.

I do think that BSU and the Pac-10 should work something out. That conference would make sense.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson