Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Grinch stole the recruiting Christmas from us

Started by East TN HAWG, February 08, 2018, 08:22:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

East TN HAWG

Year one of the dual signing days revealed to us that signing day is no longer like a second Christmas.  This is not an Arkansas thing, but a thing across the country.  I don't think fans anywhere got excited. 

We did receive two unexpected gifts in Parker and Foucha, but its not the same when the LOI's of the whole class are coming in together.   It seems more like a birthday now than a Christmas. 

KlubhouseKonnected

Which will only have more kids rushing their decisions and then seeing their lead recruiter, position coach or coordinator leave the school the just signed with.

Honestly though, I am less and less sympathetic of high school kids who are more focused on likes, follows and cameras than they are making a good choice for their educational, athletic and professional future.

Screw them if they end up being coached by someone they hate if that is the case.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

DeltaBoy

They discussed this on ESPN National Signing day show.   Some believe the Fall signing date will go away.  They also they believe they will also allow students to transfer if the staff changes.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hopeful Hog

ChicoHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on February 08, 2018, 08:26:35 am
Which will only have more kids rushing their decisions and then seeing their lead recruiter, position coach or coordinator leave the school the just signed with.

Honestly though, I am less and less sympathetic of high school kids who are more focused on likes, follows and cameras than they are making a good choice for their educational, athletic and professional future.

Screw them if they end up being coached by someone they hate if that is the case.
I'm with you.  Too much "me" and not enough "we".  Although it's all our fault with all the media and fan attention these kids get. 

IronMountainHog

Look at the Arizona Wildcat recruits who signed early when Rich Rodriguez was the coach. About two weeks after signing, he is no longer the coach. This is a glaring problem with the early period. Those kids should have been released if that is what they wanted.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 08, 2018, 08:22:21 am
Year one of the dual signing days revealed to us that signing day is no longer like a second Christmas.  This is not an Arkansas thing, but a thing across the country.  I don't think fans anywhere got excited. 

We did receive two unexpected gifts in Parker and Foucha, but its not the same when the LOI's of the whole class are coming in together.   It seems more like a birthday now than a Christmas.

Thought the same thing yesterday.  I don't care for it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BoynamedWooPigSooie

100%  Not a bit of anticipation or excitement for me at all. Used to be a day I often used a sick day for and geeked out all day.

Also the blah of the Razorbacks doesn't help matters either.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Quote from: IronMountainHog on February 08, 2018, 09:50:23 am
Look at the Arizona Wildcat recruits who signed early when Rich Rodriguez was the coach. About two weeks after signing, he is no longer the coach. This is a glaring problem with the early period. Those kids should have been released if that is what they wanted.
Agree. If the head coach of your school leaves, you should be able to transfer without sitting out.

ricepig

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on February 08, 2018, 10:11:33 am
100%  Not a bit of anticipation or excitement for me at all. Used to be a day I often used a sick day for and geeked out all day.

Also the blah of the Razorbacks doesn't help matters either.

We had 5 guys we were waiting on, how many in 2017?

BDSCT51

Count me in this group! Didn't even know, much less cared it was national signing day two. Way too tired of all this fawning over high school kids and their college choices. Most (certainly not all!) think way too much of themselves. I mean, really, national press coverage, for a high schooler??? Us fans have let it happen so we're not out of the blame game either.

How about national press coverage for those that join the military or get an appointment to one of the academies? What about press coverage for those students that get academic "full boat" rides to institutions of higher learning?

Sorry for the rambling but I am an old fart that is just tired of all this! Back to my cave now.
Bleeding Razorback Red

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I hate to agree because of the ramifications of who that makes me out to be, but I just damn well cannot help myself. +1 for being right... -1 for making me aware that I am an even bigger curmudgeon than I previously thought I was.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

This...
Quote from: IronMountainHog on February 08, 2018, 09:50:23 am

Not this...
Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 08, 2018, 08:31:35 am
They discussed this on ESPN National Signing day show.   Some believe the Fall signing date will go away.  They also they believe they will also allow students to transfer if the staff changes.

Student athletes already on campus i.e., RS Fr, Jr's and Sr's should NOT be allowed to transfer out due to coaching changes. If that were to happen to Arkansas this year, how in the Hell are we to field a team if 25% of the students  decided they didn't like the philosophy change between coaches? We would have to bum rush the NCAA and SEC in order to wave our 25 recruitment limit. On the other hand, if we signed 72 recruits we would have to rank pretty high for the star gazers...  ::)
Also what's to prevent a coach like Saban from taking his entire team with him if he were to leave?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DeltaBoy

That some of the details they did not discuss and would have to be addressed if this was allowed.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.