Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Combine Barry Switzer with Pat Jones and it equals great radio........

Started by TulsaHawg, June 17, 2006, 08:16:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

TulsaHawg

Native Arkansan and former OSU HC, Pat Jones co-hosts a mid-day radio program here in Tulsa on the Sports Animal, 1500 AM, or 97.1 FM.  Pat is very entertaining himself as he relates a plethora of stories and insights, but Friday he had a segment with Barry Switzer on the phone that just increased the entertainment value.

Pat frequently mentions his Arkansas roots and his experiences in Little Rock and Fayetteville, and he suggested to Barry that since the program can be heard in Fort Smith and Fayetteville, and there are so many Arkansas fans in the Tulsa area, he should discuss a little bit about his playing days at the UA.

Barry said his recruitment to Arkansas was actually begun by Bowden Wyatt, but Bowden left for Tennessee before Barry made it to campus.  Barry ended up playing his first couple of seasons for Jack Mitchell, a native Kansan, who also played QB for the Sooners. When Mitchell left Arkansas for Kansas, Barry ended his college career playing two seasons for Frank Broyles, where he served as captain of the SWC Co-Champion 1959 team.  He said that there were only a couple of players who were on the teams he played on who could play in today's college game.

Barry pointed out that JFB brought Merv Johnson with him when he came from Mizzou to Arkansas, and that was where he became acquainted with him.  Turned out that they both ended up in Norman for the majority of their coaching careers.

Not Arkansas related but Barry opined that even though he had great backs at OU, Barry Sanders was better than any of them.

Below, Barry at RRS signing autographs the day of the Spring Game:

Extra Point

Although Barry had some great backs, none of them did what Sanders did in the NFL.

I was at the OU/OSU game in Stillwater when Barry Sanders won the Heisman.  Great game that ended with an OSU WR dropping a pass from current HC Mike Gundy in the end zone that hit the guy in the chest and bounced off.  Would have won the game for OSU.

Barry is about as dirty and crooked as a HC can get, but he knew how to coach.  And he is very personable.  You can't help but like him a little bit.  The crap that went on in Norman and Stillwater with Barry Switzer and Jimmy Johnson is unreal.  Personally, I'm glad Jimmy Johnson never got the chance to put us on probation like he did OSU and Miami.

Hollywood_HOGan

wish i could have heard that segment.

I was just getting out of my car to head to class as soon as that came on.

Pat Jones i just a flat out riot! Love that guy.

Aftershave

After Switzer had been in Norman a few years, had few National Champ's under his belt, he was ask once would he go back to Arkansas if called home by Frank and his response was...."that would be like trading a Cadillac for a Volkswagon.."

That ranks up there with Sutton's..."I would have crawled here..etc."

In 1975, during the Semon Brother's rein of terror, even Larry Lacewell (Def Coord) had his own hour long show that consisted of Larry making fun of next weeks' opponent. Actually very funny stuff.

The Ronnie Lott years (the team we beat in the Orange Bowl 78) produced at least one arrest for possesion of an automatic rifle as it was discharged repeatedly in the Soonermen's athletic dorm.
"Keep your feet tight & stay in the saddle"

"It may or may not be a first down" - The Late Great Bud Campbell

hogman64

For further comfirmation of all the above.... read a copy of ........"Down and Dirty"---The Life & Crimes of Oklahoma Football............by their former QB Charles Thompson..

From the jacket cover.........Every day Thompson spent on the Norman, Ok campus, NCAA rules were violated---and all before the indifferent eyes of university officials and head coach, Barry Switzer.   Switzer was Thompson's role model.  He drank as hard, chased as many women and held himself above NCAA rules and regulations....................

Personally I have no doubt Switzer was a big time cheater and just because he was from Arkansas and a good ole boy and fun to drink with  and play golf and cards or whatever doesnt make it ok.  I have no respect for that period of O U football.

Aftershave

Different time but Switzer wasn't the only guy that cheated...or drank.....or chased women. 

It's none of my biz what other people do in their personal lives...ya know, throwin' the first stone etc.

I was commenting on what characters these guys were.

Richard_white

Quote from: hogman64 on June 17, 2006, 10:46:48 am
For further comfirmation of all the above.... read a copy of ........"Down and Dirty"---The Life & Crimes of Oklahoma Football............by their former QB Charles Thompson..

From the jacket cover.........Every day Thompson spent on the Norman, Ok campus, NCAA rules were violated---and all before the indifferent eyes of university officials and head coach, Barry Switzer.   Switzer was Thompson's role model.  He drank as hard, chased as many women and held himself above NCAA rules and regulations....................

Personally I have no doubt Switzer was a big time cheater and just because he was from Arkansas and a good ole boy and fun to drink with  and play golf and cards or whatever doesnt make it ok.  I have no respect for that period of O U football.

I hear a lot of opinions from people about Barry.  Until you meet the guy and talk with him you would think he was a different person.  Personally, Barry is a good guy.

Richard_white

Quote from: Fresh Legs on June 18, 2006, 12:33:36 am
Quote from: Aftershave on June 17, 2006, 10:56:35 am
Different time but Switzer wasn't the only guy that cheated...or drank.....or chased women. 

It's none of my biz what other people do in their personal lives...ya know, throwin' the first stone etc.

I was commenting on what characters these guys were.

That's the spirit.  Other people cheated too so it must be okay?

Play the whole it's none of my business card. 

Let's apply both of those to a business.  You think Worldcom was able to say well Enron cheated too so I don't think you folks in the SEC should worry about it?  Or, what about the guy in the next cube who is slowly but surely stealing a hundred bucks a day from the company?  Is it none of your business because after all you stole a pack of bubble gum when you were 10 from the local convenient store and you wouldn't "want to throw the first stone"?

Let's call a spade a spade folks.  If you guys are privy to information that he cheated, then tell it like it is.  All of this PC "ain't none of my business" and "I've made mistakes too therefore I'll never say anything is wrong" is a ridiculous approach to life.  We've all made mistakes.  If I call someone out for cheating, it doesn't make me a "holier than thou" type.  It makes me a person who blew the whistle on a cheater.  Period. 

You must be a Republican.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Richard_white on June 18, 2006, 12:35:24 amYou must be a Republican.

And defending cheating and those who engage in it....must make you a Democrat.

Aftershave

...so you're accusing me of stealing bubble gum?
Incoherent post Fresh....my political affiliation is none of your business. That concept must be difficult for you.

Richard_white

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on June 18, 2006, 06:11:08 am
Quote from: Richard_white on June 18, 2006, 12:35:24 amYou must be a Republican.

And defending cheating and those who engage in it....must make you a Democrat.

No I am a republican.  But I know the man he speaks of.  Also fresh as well.