Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why in the world did Ewing leave the baseball team?

Started by Hollywood_HOGan, June 16, 2006, 10:16:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollywood_HOGan

he played a big role too.

Saw that at the top of the page on the scout.com site/

TuckFexas

Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

pioneerhog

June 16, 2006, 10:24:06 pm #2 Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 10:26:37 pm by pioneerhog
Van Horn said the losses, while disappointing, free up additional scholarship money which his staff plans to utilize as soon as possible.

"We've got some other things working right now," Van Horn said. "There might be a late signee or two or a transfer, you never know. But we're not done."

Doesn't look like DVH is gonna give up over it or grap about it. Looks like he is gonna go out and keep trying to find some more talent to come in here.

TuckFexas

Famous quote.

hogman64

Someone posted on here several days ago ,in a roundabout way that Ewing would be leaving, the implication was he didnt like being separated from his twin brother... i was hoping that was bad info, but i guess it was dead on.........

hogman64

pioneerhog

Quote from: hogman64 on June 16, 2006, 10:42:36 pm
Quote from: Cooper on June 16, 2006, 10:40:10 pm
I didn't see it posted, but Arnold left as well.

crap.........what's up?
Arnold didn't like loseing playing time. He wants to be a everyday player.

Boss Hogg

Please don't tell me his brother plays for Texas

hogman64

Quote from: pioneerhog on June 16, 2006, 10:43:57 pm
Quote from: hogman64 on June 16, 2006, 10:42:36 pm
Quote from: Cooper on June 16, 2006, 10:40:10 pm
I didn't see it posted, but Arnold left as well.

crap.........what's up?
Arnold didn't like loseing playing time. He wants to be a everyday player.

We are losing alot more than I thought we were going to....I was definitly counting on Ewing.. sure hope we have the recruits to fill in the gaps........

hogman64

TuckFexas

Well, sad to see them go. But maybe we can get some guys that are better. Best of luck to them.
Famous quote.

3kgthog

That's great. Our best contact hitter hit the road. I guess there was no interest in trying to get his brother to transfer here to a better baseball program. Wasn't Ewing's brother a freshman AA as well?

I doubt we'll get a replacement that was as solid as Ewing was as a freshman. Now I'm going to go punch something.

maniax22bolts20

good post pioneerhog. Good Luck to Ewing as a Golden Eagle. His departure as you said clears the way for VanHorn to bring in more talent and better yet BETTER talent that wants to stay and play winning ball for the UA.

chiefsfan

Its losing Ewing that sucks, however he was the most expected.  Losing Arnold isnt as bad because we have outfielders aplenty, but he was our ONLY contact hitter on the squad.   Ewing was gonna have some troubles with Tshepikow challenging him for the 2nd base job. 

This does mean that Logan Forsythe and Matt Willard will need to step up next year, considering that Tschepikow was rumored to be moving to third base to challenge Forsythe for the 3B job, and the fact that Marquardt may not be able to play next year at short
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

however If Clint decides to transfer to a school, say Arkansas State for example, I wouldnt mind  ;)  Sorry Wishful thinking for a minute I think
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HatfieldHog

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 16, 2006, 11:11:37 pm
That's great. Our best contact hitter hit the road. I guess there was no interest in trying to get his brother to transfer here to a better baseball program. Wasn't Ewing's brother a freshman AA as well?

I doubt we'll get a replacement that was as solid as Ewing was as a freshman. Now I'm going to go punch something.

If he was our best contact hitter, that's cool, unless you consider that we were 10th in hitting in our own league.  Here again, we go back to the argument that we've been having in football.  We're returning 19 starters, wonderful, 19 starters from a 4-7 team.  That tells us that we may be better, or we may not.  Is losing the best hitter from a team that couldn't hit it's way out of a paper bag, gonna hurt us in the long run?  I don't know, but it's not a given that it will.

Just the way it looks from here.     See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

thahawg

That sucks. Ewing was one of our better hitters. I hope we signed some guys that can swing the bat.

chiefsfan

Quote from: HatfieldHog on June 16, 2006, 11:37:54 pm

If he was our best contact hitter, that's cool, unless you consider that we were 10th in hitting in our own league.  Here again, we go back to the argument that we've been having in football.  We're returning 19 starters, wonderful, 19 starters from a 4-7 team.  That tells us that we may be better, or we may not.  Is losing the best hitter from a team that couldn't hit it's way out of a paper bag, gonna hurt us in the long run?  I don't know, but it's not a given that it will.

Yes but imagine what razorback football would be like this next year if Their best 2 players had decided to transfer...

You are taking away a .375 hitter, and a freshmen all american, that sucks

hogman64

Quote from: HatfieldHog on June 16, 2006, 11:37:54 pm

actually our best contact hitter  was Gentry, but I think Ewing was second.. and I think Ewing might have been our best clutch hitter........but you cant control a guy missing his twin brother..it definitly sucks, but maybe someone will step in  Tschepikow maybe......the Makris kid from Pine Bluff that redshirted I think is going to be pretty good also........

Knot2brite

Actually I figured something like this would happen with Ewing. I read in the paper where they talk daily and they chat on the internet all the time. It just makes sense for them especially since they are twins. Expect James to be a new addition to the Southern Miss baseball team in the fall. It would have been great to have his brother transfer here and allow HAmblin to move to the outfield with a proven first baseman ready to step in but it doesnt work that way. I actually expect a couple more to leave before it is all said and done.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

chiefsfan

Im not gonna rain on anyone's parade or go any further, but I heard its entirely possible that 1 of the players may have transferred because he didnt get along with DVH

razorback44

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 17, 2006, 12:36:28 am
Actually I figured something like this would happen with Ewing. I read in the paper where they talk daily and they chat on the internet all the time. It just makes sense for them especially since they are twins. Expect James to be a new addition to the Southern Miss baseball team in the fall. It would have been great to have his brother transfer here and allow HAmblin to move to the outfield with a proven first baseman ready to step in but it doesnt work that way. I actually expect a couple more to leave before it is all said and done.

The incoming freshman from Jonesboro (can't remember his name) is essentially already penciled in to be the starting first baseman next year.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Knot2brite

Murray Watts is his name and he is going to be a good one if he works at it but it is going to be a struggle for him for a little while to adjust to the pitching in college as opposed to that in high school. Plus the playing more games and the working harder in practice and the being away from home etc. etc. is going to give him and any other freshman fits for a while. Next year is going to be full of new changes and it is going to be an adventure for a while.
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

hogman64

Quote from: chiefsfan on June 17, 2006, 12:44:24 am
Im not gonna rain on anyone's parade or go any further, but I heard its entirely possible that 1 of the players may have transferred because he didnt get along with DVH

I hate to hear that, but with DVH's personality I think that is bound to happen on occassion, in fact i  guess its going to happen with any coach's personality............sometimes its possible even two good guys  are not a fit ,hopefully the guy you are talking of will be happier after he transfers and find a better fit for his situation..........

Extra Point

June 17, 2006, 07:04:04 am #25 Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 07:11:10 am by Extra Point
Quote from: hogman64 on June 16, 2006, 10:38:16 pm
Someone posted on here several days ago ,in a roundabout way that Ewing would be leaving, the implication was he didnt like being separated from his twin brother... i was hoping that was bad info, but i guess it was dead on.........

That was me.  DVH tried to throw some more scholly money his way, but he wanted to leave.

And those blaming DVH are WAAAAAY off here.  It had nothing to do with DVH.  That coming from a guy who knows the circumstances and predicted this was going to happen.

We have several infielders coming in that will challenge for PT.  Casey Coon, the most recent signee is a SS.  Murray can handle 1st.  A couple guys that play 2nd and left to play JC this spring could be back this fall.

Losing an AA is never great, but we have some great bats coming.  We won't be 10th in the hitting next year.  I just hope our pitching staff gets a boost by some of the newcomers.

Corkscrew Johnson

Why doesn't his brother sack up and move to Fayetteville?

Extra Point

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on June 17, 2006, 08:34:01 am
Why doesn't his brother sack up and move to Fayetteville?

His brother is on a 60% scholly at Southern Miss.  He didn't get an offer from DVH.  And his brother likes it more at S. Miss than James likes it here.

dotnet

Hey Extra Point, do you know who the best position players and the best pitchers are that we have coming in?  The only one I know about is Murray, everyone else sounds good on paper but you never know. 

Do you know if there is anyone else imparticular that DVH is looking to bring in?  Thanks...

And I've been busy for a while, did someone move the spell check?  This is messed up.

TulsaHawg

June 17, 2006, 10:00:56 am #29 Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 10:46:42 am by TulsaHawg
Perhaps we should blame this on the BC too.  If someone would have explained to James how nice Fayetteville and the UA really are, and how beautiful "Beautiful Baum Stadium" really is,  perhaps he would have been convinced to stay.  ;)

The fact is some people are going to blame the coach when a kid transfers like this. They would do it if it was our basketball or football program.  Fairly or unfairly, some will do so here as well.  That certainly doesn't mean it is the coach's fault.

I asked a question a few days ago that was moved to the Trash Can.  Perhaps some would be interested in re-visiting the topic.  Since some misunderstood, let me make this clear, it was not intended to be bashing the coach.  I wasn't BLAMING anyone.  I simply wished to explore the possible reasons for not having higher draft talent on our team.  It was a valid topic to explore then, and it still is.  I assume that it is alright for anyone desiring to do so, to discuss it in the Trash Can.  I will be interested to read anyone's opinions on the matter.

James Ewing had the potential to be a fairly high draft talent, now he's gone.  Regarding the reason given for Ewing's departure, I would say that it sure is a good thing that one of the brother's wasn't taken as the number 1 draft pick directly out of high school.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php/topic,61255.0.html

BTW, as I said yesterday, I am limiting my posting on here for awhile.  This will be my last post of the day, in case someone responds to me and I don't answer. :-X

hogman64

Quote from: Extra Point on June 17, 2006, 07:04:04 am
Quote from: hogman64 on June 16, 2006, 10:38:16 pm

That was me.  DVH tried to throw some more scholly money his way, but he wanted to leave.

And those blaming DVH are WAAAAAY off here.  It had nothing to do with DVH.  That coming from a guy who knows the circumstances and predicted this was going to happen.

We have several infielders coming in that will challenge for PT.  Casey Coon, the most recent signee is a SS.  Murray can handle 1st.  A couple guys that play 2nd and left to play JC this spring could be back this fall.

Losing an AA is never great, but we have some great bats coming.  We won't be 10th in the hitting next year.  I just hope our pitching staff gets a boost by some of the newcomers.

Extra Point.....do you know anything about the Makris kid from PB.. is he expected to play next year??

georgecolevet

It's bad to lose Ewing, but if his heart was somewhere else, he needed to leave.  Arnold was not batting over 300; I believe he had batted like 270 by the end of the season, and he knew his playing time would be limited next year.

Our redshirts are gonna be fighting for playing time with the starters, and one thing about DVH, he makes them earn their spot.  He doesn't just put you back as a starter automatically. 

we should have more players who fit Butler's mode next year, and should hit the ball a lot better.  We'll see. 

But for those of you questioning these students leaving?  That is the way of college baseball more than any other sport.  We always lose players that want more playing time.  And since DVH doesn't make them any promises, they sometimes choose to leave.  He never makes an issue out of it.  Every year, more talent chooses Arkansas.  It's great really.