Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tiger Woods is imploding on the golf course

Started by idochog, June 16, 2006, 08:55:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

idochog

He is now +10.  He is putting himself into position to miss his first cut ever in a major.
I love Jesus!

hogsanity

Why is this good news?  A little Tiger envy?  Say what you want, but any major is more exciting if he is in the hunt.  Plus, after 9 weeks off after his dads death, it isnt easy to tunr it back on, especially at this course.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

pseudorabies

AWHog

Can't imagine how hard it is for him this week, since his earlier memories on the golf course involve his dad. I lost my mom 2 years ago last week, and it still hurts.

Going home to Elin is nice compensation for him, though!

39/4Life

jvegashawg

Never thought I'd see that in a major.

EastexHawg

June 16, 2006, 10:42:37 am #7 Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 10:54:13 am by EastexHawg
I'm rooting for Tiger.  I hope he gets it to plus 20. ;) 

Remember that not only the low 60 players and ties make the cut...but also anyone within ten shots of the lead.  Tiger is currently 10 over, while the leaders are at one under.  Colin Montgomerie hasn't started his round, in which I expect him to fold like a lawn chair...but Steve Stricker is at one under after 16 holes.

Come, on, Stevie!

Actually, I hope Phil Mickelson wins so he can go for the "Lefty Slam" at the British Open.  Right now, he is one shot out of the lead.

ReturnToDynasty?

WOW!  Give the guy a break!  He hasn't played in a tournament in weeks.  And it's his first tournament since his Dad died!  The expectations on Tiger's shoulders are heavier than any of us could carry.  Just relax, he's human!

jvegashawg

That's the thing.  He hasn't been human for a while now.  I'm not criticizing, it's always a better tournament when he's in the hunt.

HogISH™

steve is 1 under in the house... only 4 players currently in the red for todays round and they are all -1...

woods has 4 holes to go and he went 3 over on them yesterday...

usopen.com has a more uptoday leaderboard than pgatour.com

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

Hawgon

My dislike for Tiger began about one month after he won his first Masters when one couldn't go to a golf course without getting behind a foursome of black guys who had never played golf, carrying $3,000.00 worth of equipment each, and who couldn't hit it out of their own shadows.

It only grew when I went to Southern Hills in 2000 and listened as idiotic fans literally cheered as he came out of the Porta Potty.  It was embarrassing.

Don't have all that much against him personally.  I just like to root against him because there are so many idiots that think he invented golf.

hogsrmyfav36

Quote from: Hawgon on June 16, 2006, 11:10:38 am
My dislike for Tiger began about one month after he won his first Masters when one couldn't go to a golf course without getting behind a foursome of black guys who had never played golf, carrying $3,000.00 worth of equipment each, and who couldn't hit it out of their own shadows.

It only grew when I went to Southern Hills in 2000 and listened as idiotic fans literally cheered as he came out of the Porta Potty.  It was embarrassing.

Don't have all that much against him personally.  I just like to root against him because there are so many idiots that think he invented golf.

That smacks a little of racism and elitism.  Tiger brought a lot of people to the sport, black, white, or otherwise, that had never played the game.  John Daly did the same.  You don't own golf, nor do the stuff shirts.  A game that is immensely enjoyable irregardless of one's age, color, background, or skill has been introduced to the masses by guys like Tiger and JD.

Why do you think the handicap system was invented for golf?
F&*!NG INTRANET

Hawgon

I should have qualified that a little by pointing out that the guys to which I was referring also didn't know enough to let you play through.  Bringing a lot of people to the game is fine and dandy, as long as you don't end up behind them and experience a 6 hour round of golf.

As for the people cheering him when he came out of the Porta Potty, well, that speaks for itself, doesn't it?

EastexHawg

June 16, 2006, 11:24:51 am #14 Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 11:26:31 am by EastexHawg
It would take me a while to list all the reasons I dislike Tiger. 

One of them is the big stink he made a few years ago about wanting to be PAID to play in the Ryder Cup.  Here you have a guy who signed two endorsement deals (with Nike and Titleist) worth $100 million before he ever swung a club as a pro, and he is bitching about not getting paid to play for his country in the Ryder Cup.  I guess just representing America without getting paid was good enough for Hogan, Snead, Palmer, Nicklaus, and Watson...but not for Tiger.

I also didn't care for the way he blamed his caddy a few years ago for driving the ball into the trees at Augusta..."I wanted to hit iron, but Stevie talked me into driver."  Did Stevie also talk him into hitting it 50 yards right of the fairway into the trees...or does the guy swinging the club have something to do with where the ball ends up?

Basically, Tiger has always seemed like a real prick on the golf course...and he has the perfect caddy to match.  Steve Williams' act of chewing out patrons, or going into the gallery after fans who "distract" Tiger gets old, too.

Finally, I am sick of having Tiger Woods crammed down my throat every time he plays.  As Hawgon said, if you listen to most of the commentators long enough you would think he invented golf.  Bobby Clampett is the absolute worst...

"The leader, Vijay Singh, is putting for eagle on #6...but let's go forward to 14, where Tiger Woods is tying his shoes.  Charlie, can you tell if those are 16-inch or 18-inch shoelaces Tiger is wearing this week?  I've always thought Tiger ties the best bow knot in golf...among other things.  Tiger is only eight back, in 18th place, with five holes to play.  If he can hit it close here, then birdie and eagle his way to the clubhouse...and if Vijay has a bobble...LOOK OUT!"

Hawgon

One more thing I will mention as well.  If you have small children and you don't want to have to answer some questions about foul language, don't be anywhere within 50 yards of Tiger during a tournament.  He can cuss a blue streak and commonly does on every bad shot.  Often, at nearly the top of his lungs.  GD seems to be his favorite and many of us find that one especially objectionable.

oldbear

No joy at Tiger not being in the hunt.  I am rooting for Phil because golf is always more exciting when there is a great rivalry and the one between the two of them is just now really beginning to brew with Phil having won some majors.  If Phil wins this one, it will not be as good for the game as if Tiger were in the hunt.

hogsrmyfav36

Hawgon, those points are well taken and sound better than your first comment.  I love golf and am a decent player.  I don't mind playing with or around guys who aren't very good and really just picked up the sport because of the media attention focused on Tiger.  I'm like you, though, I do NOT like guys who haven't taken the time to understand golf etiquitte (sp?)

Maybe they were cheering when Tiger came out of the porta potty because he finally came out and they all had to go too
F&*!NG INTRANET

Beaverfever

That's pretty bad man.  And whether you will admit it or not tiger woods has done more for the game of golf than any other person has done for their sport.

Hawgon

Hasn't done all that much for me.  I don't play professional golf, so I can't really see how he has helped me at all.  But whatever, some people just go around wanting to be offended, if not for themselves, for someone else.  Sorry you can't take a little sarcastic wit.

Oh and by the way, he has missed the cut unless he eagles the last hole.

hogtheball

Quote from: Beaverfever on June 16, 2006, 11:39:00 am

That's pretty bad man.  And whether you will admit it or not tiger woods has done more for the game of golf than any other person has done for their sport.

That statement is a little strong, don't you think.  What about what Hank Aaron did for baseball?  What about Michael Jordan and basketball?  Wayne Gretsky saved hockey.   What about Joe Dimaggio?   What about the Babe?  Who knew anything about cycling before Lance Armstrong...now I can't drive home from work without getting behind a team or two of cyclists?   What about Pele and soccer? 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

hogsanity

This statement is not true.  Even though golf became more popular when Tiger hit the tour, overall rounds played nationwide have been falling the past 5 years.  I contribute this to the fact that many of these "new" golfers found out the game is very hard, takes time and $$$$ to play, and even more to get better.  So they have now quit playing.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

3kgthog

Tiger Woods hasn't done much to help diversity in golf. Say what you want, but the reality of the world is that most African-Americans errr Caublinasians won't be able to afford golf clubs, balls, memberships, etc. You also aren't seeing more African-Americans on the amateur ranks or on the PGA or LPGA tour. The only thing Tiger has done is improve tv ratings. The fact is most average black kids cannot relate to this guy because they have absolutely nothing in common other than the color of their skin.

HOGLUVIN

1. Jackie Robinson
2. Michael Jordan
3. Ali
4. Gretzky
5. Earnhardt

joedirt

hogsanity

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on June 16, 2006, 12:05:56 pm

1. Jackie Robinson
2. Michael Jordan
3. Ali
4. Gretzky
5. Earnhardt

Oh good grief, how can you put Earnhardt on a lst with ALI, Robinson, Jordan and Gretzky?  Never mind, I dont want to know the answer.

HOGLUVIN

commercialization of NASCAR. THats what he did. Not everyone has to be good at thier sport to impact it. (See also: Wimmens Tennis... Anna Kournikova)

He was the ticket they sold.

Remember all of the "Intimidator" stuff.

idochog

Quote from: joedirt on June 16, 2006, 12:28:35 pm
Tiger +12.  He will NOT make the cut.

Projected cut is +10 at this point.  With a -1 posted, no way Tiger makes cut.
I love Jesus!

firehogs

The guy had to be metally drained before he even got on the course, I would guess. I wonder if this might effect him his whole year, sorta like Earnhardt JR when he lost his dad.
GO ADHA!
GO HOGS!

cbjagman

While for a number of reasons I've not been a huge Tiger fan, I would still have to have empathy for the guy. Very difficult losing a parent you've been close to (I can relate having lost my mom a few years back). I would not presume to give Tiger any advice; however, it appears to me that perhaps he needs some real time away from the game. Not only is he battling the grief, but it seems with all the other things he's dealing with as far as a (relatively) new wife, business conflicts, etc. that may be a distraction. Perhaps an opportunity to really "recharge the batteries" would help him regain his focus, as well as refresh him physically. In any event, whether one finds him the hero or the villian, I think we all need to have some consideration for him who is after all, still only human, with the challanges and problems that presents, and not a machine.

hogtheball

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2006, 12:29:41 pm

1. Jackie Robinson
2. Michael Jordan
3. Ali
4. Gretzky
5. Earnhardt

Oh good grief, how can you put Earnhardt on a lst with ALI, Robinson, Jordan and Gretzky?  Never mind, I dont want to know the answer.

I'm not a big NASCAR fan, but their revenues grew more in the Earnhardt era than Jordan, Robinson, or Gretzky are responsible for.   I bet Ali increased boxing revenues pretty dramatically, though. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Beaverfever

1. Jackie Robinson
2. Michael Jordan
3. Ali
4. Gretzky
5. Earnhardt

Why is jackie robinson number 1?

Beaverfever

And i'll admit that lance armstrong has done more in his sport but I mean, it's still cycling.

hogtheball

Quote from: Beaverfever on June 16, 2006, 05:05:35 pm
And i'll admit that lance armstrong has done more in his sport but I mean, it's still cycling.

At least in cycling, you have to get your heart-rate over 100 to win the biggest event in the world.  It's pretty hard to argue that John Daly could win an athletic event in anything other than golf (well, if you consider bowling a sport - he could have been a great one at that too).  If you don't consider cycling a sport, then it's pretty hard to act like golf is a sport.

hawgdaddy306

Quote from: hogtheball on June 16, 2006, 05:12:26 pm

At least in cycling, you have to get your heart-rate over 100 to win the biggest event in the world.  It's pretty hard to argue that John Daly could win an athletic event in anything other than golf (well, if you consider bowling a sport - he could have been a great one at that too).  If you don't consider cycling a sport, then it's pretty hard to act like golf is a sport.
So riding a bicycle is more athletic that walking a couple miles?
And your argument has flaws.  I can assure you that coming up 18 on Sunday with a chance to win or even tie, would set your heart to racing. 
With the hiring of Bobby Petrino, the National Championship  project is already showing signs of improvement and will soon be back on schedule.

hogtheball

Quote from: hawgdaddy306 on June 16, 2006, 05:39:18 pm
Quote from: hogtheball on June 16, 2006, 05:12:26 pm

So riding a bicycle is more athletic that walking a couple miles?
And your argument has flaws.  I can assure you that coming up 18 on Sunday with a chance to win or even tie, would set your heart to racing. 

so does bluffing with a pair of 3's in Poker, but that requires no athletic ability whatsoever.

hawgdaddy306

Agreed, but this one does require a solid set of jewels.
With the hiring of Bobby Petrino, the National Championship  project is already showing signs of improvement and will soon be back on schedule.