Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barnhill or Bud Walton?

Started by RedSatinHog, June 16, 2006, 01:26:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RedSatinHog

I preferred Barnhill because I think it presented a somewhat more hostile and intimidating atmosphere for opponents.

For me, moving the Hogs out of Barnhill equates to the idea of moving Duke out of Cameron.  Anywhere else just isn't quite the same.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

TulsaHogFan

Put a successful team in Bud Walton and see how intimidating it gets.

Trust me that place will be very hostile.

RedSatinHog

Yeah, but my thing is that the crowd was right on top of the floor in Barnhill.  Bud Walton is more like a modern NBA arena.  The atmosphere is just not the same. 

hogtheball

Barnhill.  It was awesome. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

the donger

GrizzledHogFan

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

noprayerfornutt

Jerry Swinefeld

Nothing will ever be like Barnhill, but I don't know that I felt that strongly about in 94 when we opened Bud Walton by going undefeated at home and winning the NC.  We all thought that the brand-new Bud was the best thing since sliced bread.  Think about it...we wondered if we would ever lose in the our new palace.

39/4Life

dana caldwell

barnhill was a great, great setting. remember the last game when dale brown came out, uninvited and after a tough loss, to address the crowd and brag on it.

bud was awesome the first couple of seasons. almost as loud and much nicer, of course. hopefully it will again rock like the old days as the play gets better.

i'd like to see some sprucing up, tho, of the downstairs museum-type area. some of the audio/video things malfunction and the displays are fading. at least as of a year ago.

i think the ladybacks have dropped the ball here. they should have stayed in barnill, where the coaching offices are located and made it their own niche. arena would seem much more full, too, and the noise would be amplified.

Tusks

The barn was something.  I liked it when it got so loud the players couldn't hear the ball bounce off the floor.  Man there's so many great stories from that old place there's not enough room.  Shelby from A/M lost it as much as anyone I've ever seen.

The Bud though....put the Hogs in the top 5 and this thread wouldn't of been started.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

CharlieHog

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on June 16, 2006, 01:32:10 am
Yeah, but my thing is that the crowd was right on top of the floor in Barnhill.  Bud Walton is more like a modern NBA arena.  The atmosphere is just not the same. 

It is not like an NBA game. Have you ever been to a game at BWA?

Jerry Swinefeld

Quote from: dana caldwell on June 16, 2006, 07:57:26 am

i think the ladybacks have dropped the ball here. they should have stayed in barnill, where the coaching offices are located and made it their own niche. arena would seem much more full, too, and the noise would be amplified.

No doubt about it.

CharlieHog

That would be difficult since there is gymnastics equipment set up in Barnhill during basketball season.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: CharlieHog on June 16, 2006, 08:29:44 am

It is not like an NBA game. Have you ever been to a game at BWA?

Since I've been overseas in the military most of the time since it opened and stationed literally several 100 miles from Fayetteville when I was stationed in the states, I will have to  be honest and say no I haven't been in BWA.  The observation on my part is that looking at the inside views of the place on telecasts reminds me too much of some of the modern arenas around the cuntry.  It's not a knock on the fans who attend.

And call me too old school and sentimental, but I WOULD have started this thread even if we were still a Top 5 team.  I have missed the Barn ever since they closed it.  Even Dick Vitale made a comment about it this past season.  He said that even though BWA is a nice arena, the atmosphere at games just isn't same.  Yeah, there's more seating in BWA, but as was previously mentioned you couldn't even hear the ball hit the floor in the Barn.

ledhead830

Quote from: CharlieHog on June 16, 2006, 08:39:37 am

That would be difficult since there is gymnastics equipment set up in Barnhill during basketball season.

not really, the gym stuff is set up before meets only, and very rarely do they leave the equipment up during basketball season.  yes it may make more of a hassle for a few people, but there aren't many problems with setting the gym equipment out and taking it up.  Volleyball practices are held in the spring during gym season. how do you think they do it?

Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

CharlieHog

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on June 16, 2006, 09:18:53 am

Since I've been overseas in the military most of the time since it opened and stationed literally several 100 miles from Fayetteville when I was stationed in the states, I will have to  be honest and say no I haven't been in BWA.  The observation on my part is that looking at the inside views of the place on telecasts reminds me too much of some of the modern arenas around the cuntry.  It's not a knock on the fans who attend.

And call me too old school and sentimental, but I WOULD have started this thread even if we were still a Top 5 team.  I have missed the Barn ever since they closed it.  Even Dick Vitale made a comment about it this past season.  He said that even though BWA is a nice arena, the atmosphere at games just isn't same.  Yeah, there's more seating in BWA, but as was previously mentioned you couldn't even hear the ball hit the floor in the Barn.

Everybody misses the barn, and BWA is a nice arena. But BWA is a great place to watch a game.

The only people that complain about the atmopshere at BWA are the people that don't go to games. The fans ARE the atmosphere. Anybody that has a problem is welcome to show up and scream their head off.

CharlieHog

Quote from: ledhead830 on June 16, 2006, 09:22:15 am

not really, the gym stuff is set up before meets only, and very rarely do they leave the equipment up during basketball season.  yes it may make more of a hassle for a few people, but there aren't many problems with setting the gym equipment out and taking it up.  Volleyball practices are held in the spring during gym season. how do you think they do it?

I didn't realize they take it down, since the few times I've been in there on weekdays, the equipment was set up.

If gymnastics and volleyball both use it in the spring, it still seems like the last thing they need is another sport using it.

Hog Gumbo

i've noticed over the years that the student section gets smaller and smaller, I just think that the students today suck and coundn' hold a candle to the folks that rocked the Barn and Walton in the Early years, Its not the Arena its the fans.

CharlieHog

Quote from: Hog Gumbo on June 16, 2006, 09:42:34 am
i've noticed over the years that the student section gets smaller and smaller, I just think that the students today suck and coundn' hold a candle to the folks that rocked the Barn and Walton in the Early years, Its not the Arena its the fans.

no, it's the team.

werehog

The Barn all the way. Yes, it has that Cameron Indoor Arena feel.

hogsanity

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on June 16, 2006, 01:26:51 am
I preferred Barnhill because I think it presented a somewhat more hostile and intimidating atmosphere for opponents.

For me, moving the Hogs out of Barnhill equates to the idea of moving Duke out of Cameron.  Anywhere else just isn't quite the same.

So, does AKHOGSHOOPSFAn stand for ALASKA, since Ak is the abrev. for Alaska?

Anyway, barnhill WAS great, but guess wht, been gone for 13 years, as far as playing there, so it is a moot point.  Put capacity in BW for a big game and it is as loud as anywhere.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogmary

The farthest seat from the floor in BWA is closer to mid court than the farthest seat from the floor in Barnhill.   When the crowd has something to cheer about, BWA is just as intimidating as Barnhill.
The fact that the team hasn't done well and that they play a very boring style (when a style can be determined) has something to do with the crowd.  Also, Jim Robken had a LOT to do with the atmosphere in Barnhill.  Remember the shark when we played UNLV, or how about the theme from the Godfather when Pitino was introduced the first time?

All BWA needs is a decent coach and a more updated pep band routine.  (I would also like to get rid of that monstrosity of a scoreboard).

bigyellowdog

Cameron Indoor could not hold a candle to Barnhill.

WPS!!!

RedSatinHog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2006, 10:15:29 am

Anyway, barnhill WAS great, but guess wht, been gone for 13 years, as far as playing there, so it is a moot point.  Put capacity in BW for a big game and it is as loud as anywhere.

It is probably due to the fact that I currently live in ALASKA.

Richard_white

Quote from: hogsanity on June 16, 2006, 10:15:29 am

The Alabama and Florida game was the loudest I been too in a few years.  Or since Heath has been here.

Hollywood_HOGan

When our team is successful, the Bud is rockin!!

This past year's game against Alabama was crazy!

But the most wild game ever was against Auburn in 99.

Louis-Hogfan

I have always loved the Barn over BWA.  Even in 94, it never had the same electricity that Barnhill had.  Even when the Hogs were sub-par, it got so loud in there that you couldn't hear.  (I know that makes no sense, but it's true.)  I remember games where the crowd noise confused the other teams offence so much, they would have to call a timeout, just because of the noise level.  The sound of the crowd was so loud at times I felt that my chest was going to colapse in. I left Barnhill with my ears ringing for days.  BWA never gave me that. I know it gets loud in there, but not Barnhill loud.  You could put a jet fighter inside Barnhill, turn on the after burners, and it wouldn't be as loud as the fans when (insert any HOG name) dunked on the opposing team.  The student section wasn't up in the corner, they were on the court, almost leaning over it.  The band actually knew how to get the crowd into it, and played good music, on a rotation that made sense. Now we get a basketball game, not an experience.  Imagine getting a real Razorback experience playing Rice. RICE!!! And the crowd was into it.  Now, if Rice were to show up, it looks like an exhibition game.
Move the student section back where it is supposed to be, at half court, and get a better band director, and make it fun again.  Make it an experience, not just another basketball game. But that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

But I am not.

WPS

JJHog

Barnhill was an absolute pit.
Too bad we had to chase the dollars and build the Bud.

" Think Right, Do Right"

trufanofhogs

Barnhill - no contest       We don't have the home court advantage we used to have in Barnhill and never will. It was a special place that cannot be duplicated. For a visiting team and an officiating crew, it was a hell hole, a snake pit - one extremely intimidating place. There has never been any sports venue as loud as Barnhill. I used to sit near the floor on the second row, and I know what it means to "feel" sound. I too have left there with my ears ringing and felt the effects for hours for sure. I remember Eddie Sutton commenting after a game when the team had returned home after a tough road stretch, that a Barnhill Arena crowd was akin to "a junkie getting a fix"

Hollywood_HOGan

I just remember at the 99 Auburn game the referee holding his ears closed.

The Barn might have been legendary but Bud Walton can get pretty rowdy too.

BigoBoys

The seat farthest away from the floor at BWA is as close as the farthest away seat at Barnhill.  20k vs 9 k seems like a no brainer to me.

ledhead830

June 16, 2006, 05:44:53 pm #32 Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 05:46:27 pm by ledhead830
Quote from: CharlieHog on June 16, 2006, 09:30:21 am
Quote from: ledhead830 on June 16, 2006, 09:22:15 am

I didn't realize they take it down, since the few times I've been in there on weekdays, the equipment was set up.

If gymnastics and volleyball both use it in the spring, it still seems like the last thing they need is another sport using it.

the thing is gymnastics doesn't use it for practices. they have the Bev Lewis Center, so it really isn't that much of a hassle, and basketball already uses it for some spring workouts though I am pretty sure they are voluntary.  If nothing is going on, then yes, the gym equipment stays up, but the stuff can come down if they need to, though if I remember correctly, it takes several hours to put up and take down the equipment
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,

heathshogs

Also to consider is they actually changed the stands on the North side since Gymnastics has been in there. I can't recall exactly how it would look with a basketball court, but there would be a gap on that side before you got to the fans.

Quote from: Louis-Hogfan on June 16, 2006, 04:42:16 pm
I have always loved the Barn over BWA.  Even in 94, it never had the same electricity that Barnhill had.  Even when the Hogs were sub-par, it got so loud in there that you couldn't hear.  (I know that makes no sense, but it's true.)  I remember games where the crowd noise confused the other teams offence so much, they would have to call a timeout, just because of the noise level.  The sound of the crowd was so loud at times I felt that my chest was going to colapse in. I left Barnhill with my ears ringing for days.  BWA never gave me that. I know it gets loud in there, but not Barnhill loud.  You could put a jet fighter inside Barnhill, turn on the after burners, and it wouldn't be as loud as the fans when (insert any HOG name) dunked on the opposing team.  The student section wasn't up in the corner, they were on the court, almost leaning over it.  The band actually knew how to get the crowd into it, and played good music, on a rotation that made sense. Now we get a basketball game, not an experience.  Imagine getting a real Razorback experience playing Rice. RICE!!! And the crowd was into it.  Now, if Rice were to show up, it looks like an exhibition game.
Move the student section back where it is supposed to be, at half court, and get a better band director, and make it fun again.  Make it an experience, not just another basketball game. But that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.

But I am not.

WPS

You do know the student section extends to half court where the opponents enter/exit?
I only saw I think 2 games in Barnhill. I've saw at least as many in BWA's first year. I'll take BWA. But I'll also take the more vocal fans wherever they went.
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

edmo

I love Bud Walton, however, BARNHILL ROCKED.

WPS!

pigfeet

ComeonHogs!!!

BWA . It seems i always got stuck behind a piller a the barn. Both can get crazy loud!
State Pride!!!

VoR

Quote from: hogmary on June 16, 2006, 12:42:12 pm
The farthest seat from the floor in BWA is closer to mid court than the farthest seat from the floor in Barnhill.   When the crowd has something to cheer about, BWA is just as intimidating as Barnhill.
The fact that the team hasn't done well and that they play a very boring style (when a style can be determined) has something to do with the crowd.  Also, Jim Robken had a LOT to do with the atmosphere in Barnhill.  Remember the shark when we played UNLV, or how about the theme from the Godfather when Pitino was introduced the first time?

All BWA needs is a decent coach and a more updated pep band routine.  (I would also like to get rid of that monstrosity of a scoreboard).
Robken made a hugh difference, when they replaced him it was like replacing Bear Bryant with DiNardo.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

Extra Point

I hate to point out the obvious, but it's hard to take you seriously when you have the postal code for Alaska in your username.

I think Robken was much better than our current band dude with his stupid sign saying "Razorback Fans Are Standing".  If they didn't still have the same old tired songs played during the same timeouts EVERY game for the last 15 years, we might be more entertained.  The current act just doesn't grab our attention.

And PLEASE get rid of the 2001 Space Odyssey.  That was SOOOO last century.

razor1

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: Extra Point on June 17, 2006, 07:22:16 am

I hate to point out the obvious, but it's hard to take you seriously when you have the postal code for Alaska in your username.

I think Robken was much better than our current band dude with his stupid sign saying "Razorback Fans Are Standing".  If they didn't still have the same old tired songs played during the same timeouts EVERY game for the last 15 years, we might be more entertained.  The current act just doesn't grab our attention.

And PLEASE get rid of the 2001 Space Odyssey.  That was SOOOO last century.

Robken was the man!!

The guy we have right now is a little prancing idiot. He can take his big smith horsemess somewhere else!

dana caldwell

one thing they could do to help with the noise is do what michigan state does with its students -- they surround the place, about three rows or so deep. it's super loud in there (especially when trying to file on deadline!).

i talked to heath about that a few years back and he likes the idea. maybe they'll try it one day.