Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Numbers retired at Arkansas

Started by Ugly Uncle, June 15, 2006, 12:55:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

Do you know of any numbers that have been retired at Arkansas and who they belonged to?

What numbers should be retired and for who, and why?
Retired Radio Host

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

doo-ran

June 15, 2006, 01:04:34 am #2 Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 01:07:47 am by dooran
I just know of Brandon's. What about McClard's or Little's? Are either of these worthy?, or is/was being a kicker still too much ask for with the Hogs. I would say so long that Nutt is coach or AD a kicker will not have a jersey retired... I'll ask my dad tomorrow...he might know of someone else.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: dooran on June 15, 2006, 01:04:34 am
I just know of Brandon's. What about McClard's or Little's? Are either of these worthy?, or is/was being a kicker still too much ask for with the Hogs. I would say so long that Nutt is coach or AD a kicker will not have a jersey retired... I'll ask my dad tomorrow...he might know of someone else.

I would agree with Steve Little.  I hope about 4 years from now people will be wanting to retire the number 5 and 16.
Retired Radio Host

Richard_white

Steve Atwater's # should be retired.

Sao Ming

Moncrief's should be but sadly isn't.

MrSpook1352

Media guide on Hogwired says only 2 football numbers are retired 77 for Burlsworth and 12 for both Clyde Scott and Steve Little.

Pig Pumper

Arkansas isn't too big on retiring numbers.

I always find it funny that people should say Moncrief's should be retired but not Brewer's.  The Boot was possibly the best basketball player in the country.  Not taking anything away from Sidney's awesome pro career, but Ron Sr. was the best bball player in UA history.

Quote from: Pig Pumper on June 15, 2006, 01:41:15 am

I always find it funny that people should say Moncrief's should be retired but not Brewer's.  The Boot was possibly the best basketball player in the country.  Not taking anything away from Sidney's awesome pro career, but Ron Sr. was the best bball player in UA history.

With all due respect, I think you might have a mild case of "good old day" syndrome...

I think Corliss and his accomplishments might have something to say about that...
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Richard_white

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on June 15, 2006, 01:50:23 am

With all due respect, I think you might have a mild case of "good old day" syndrome...

I think Corliss and his accomplishments might have something to say about that...

I know Todd Day never won a Championship but he has to be right there with Corliss.

Baghdadhawg

I really respect the career that Corliss had, but, he really couldn't hold a candle to Super Sid.

VoR

Quote from: gberry1969 on June 15, 2006, 04:04:10 am

I really respect the career that Corliss had, but, he really couldn't hold a candle to Super Sid.

Corliss was the man Larry Johnson was talking about when he made the comment to Nolan after the UNLV game ("Go get yourself some men"). The only person that stopped him from having back to back championships left 2 schools (UCLA and Georgia) with black eyes for his questionable recruiting and improper inducements.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

CharlieHog

Quote from: MrSpook1352 on June 15, 2006, 01:34:31 am
Media guide on Hogwired says only 2 football numbers are retired 77 for Burlsworth and 12 for both Clyde Scott and Steve Little.

Those 2 and #23 in baseball are the only ones.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: Sao Ming on June 15, 2006, 01:17:49 am

Since Moncrief graduated, what other player has worn number 32?  No one I can remember.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

dana caldwell

i was actually thinking that moncrief's is the only BKB number retired.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: dana caldwell on June 15, 2006, 08:26:48 am
i was actually thinking that moncrief's is the only BKB number retired.

Dana, you're right.  It WAS retired at the LR banquet honoring Moncrief after he graduated.  When Sutton presented Sidney his playing jersey, he made a statement along the lines of how the University agreed that no one else should ever be able to wear that number in a Razorback uniform.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Chappeee

Quote from: Sao Ming on June 15, 2006, 01:17:49 am

I thought Moncrief's number was retired at halftime of a game against Rice in 89 or 90.

Chappeee

Corliss Williamson's number 34 should be retired.

blake

I vote Charles Balentine, anyone that can hold Jordan under 10 points gets my vote.

dana caldwell

got to be real selective with these, as the UA has, bc kids want their HS numbers. it can be a big deal to them.

that said, i'd agree on corliss. adding to what he did, he's homegrown, like sid.

blake

Arazorbackguy1

Heck, let's just retire all of Razorback sports...  there have been so many, why should anyone be able to wear a number these days!?

Retiring Jersey numbers is so stupid!
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on June 15, 2006, 09:54:36 am
Heck, let's just retire all of Razorback sports...  there have been so many, why should anyone be able to wear a number these days!?

Retiring Jersey numbers is so stupid!

Wow...speaking of a negative nanny.

Burlsworth, Sid, Steve Little...that is it?  I don't' think that is too many. 

As far as hurting recruiting...you are Dana...we probably do want to be careful...but it might also impress future recruits if they see a number of a legend hanging from the rafters...or displayed in the stadium.  The only problem is, we really haven't had that many that should have been retired.  I think the ones we have are great...I'm hoping for a 5 and 1 and 16 to be retired in about 5-6 years.
Retired Radio Host

Hollywood_HOGan

Big Nasty's number most def should be retired.

Anyone who can carry Arkansas to two FFs and a championship, should have his number in the rafters.

I cant remember anyone wearing 34 since Corliss left though.

Sao Ming

Moncrief's is retired?  Is it just not a tradition to hang them from rafters or what? 

MrSpook1352

Maybe we could retire a player's name.  We retire Corliss Williamson and no other player is allowed to use that name when he plays for us.  I'm kidding, but it is a thought - you don't have to retire numbers completely to hang a jersey in the rafters and recognize your heroes.

fineswine

Quote from: blake on June 15, 2006, 08:54:03 am
I vote Charles Balentine, anyone that can hold Jordan under 10 points gets my vote.
He didn't.  Jordan had about 25.

blake

I thought he held him to 9 points when we played NC at UAPB

ThisLittlePiggie

Quote from: fineswine on June 16, 2006, 06:04:25 am
Quote from: blake on June 15, 2006, 08:54:03 am
He didn't.  Jordan had about 25.

21 for Jordan...Balentine hit the game winner from 8 feet over Sam Perkins.

blake

Man, I was really wasted that day.

Hawgz4Life

heathshogs

Retiring numbers can be tough because there are a limited number especially in basketball where you can only use digits 0-5 in college. But there is not problem in doing like most schools where they reire jerseys. They put the greats' jerseys up in rafters to honor them without any exclusion of future players wearing the number. Between Brewer and Day #10 should definitely be up there.
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

FayettenamHog

Quote from: Sao Ming on June 15, 2006, 08:05:16 pm
Moncrief's is retired?  Is it just not a tradition to hang them from rafters or what? 

I could be wrong, but I think there is a banner with his name and number on the east rafters in BWA. 
Max, can you earmuff for me?

We are going to get so much ass here, it's going to be sick. I'm talking like crazy, boy band ass.

hogmary

Technically, #12 was retired for Clyde Scott.  That's why Joe Ferguson wore #11 when he played at Arkansas...he was 12 in high school and in the pros.  When Steve Little came along, Frank really wanted him and Steve really wanted #12.  Frank called Clyde Scott and he agreed to un-retire the number just for Steve Little.  When Little finished his eligibility, 12 was retired again.

trufanofhogs

I'm not sure about any football jerseys, but I am absolutely certain Sidney Moncrief's number 32 is retired. IMO he is absolutely the greatest athlete, competitor and performer in the history of the University of Arkansas in any sport. I guess people who never saw him play just don't understand. What he meant to the university, the basketball program, and the entire state was incredible. His combination of talent, athleticism, work ethic, leadership skills, and integrity are the standard by which I measure all who have followed him. So far, no one has quite measured up. He was a great All-American in every way. I'll bet if you were to ask Eddie Sutton, he would still say that Sidney was the greatest player he ever coached. 

AFWarrior83

I know it would be 10 years from now, but do you think #9 could get retired? He was the best athelete I remember watching in the south the past 5 years. I figure a lot has to do with how he makes it in the Pro's, which I believe will be pro bowl material in another year or two.
Hogville member since 2005.

trufanofhogs

Matt is a great athlete for sure. And a fine fella I'm sure. But retire his number? I don't think so scooter.

MrSpook1352

Quote from: trufanofhogs on June 16, 2006, 05:08:06 pm
Matt is a great athlete for sure. And a fine fella I'm sure. But retire his number? I don't think so scooter.

I agree.  Great player, but I don't think "retire the number" great.

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 16, 2006, 05:04:10 pm
I know it would be 10 years from now, but do you think #9 could get retired? He was the best athelete I remember watching in the south the past 5 years. I figure a lot has to do with how he makes it in the Pro's, which I believe will be pro bowl material in another year or two.

It isn't a popularity contest.  Whether it was his or HDN's fault, it doesn't matter now, he didn't accomplish enough to merit this..

Ugly Uncle

I don't think Matt's number should be retired either.  But I think Spook, or someone else mentioned retiring jersey's...not the number...but just hanging the jersey somewhere in honor.  I like that idea.  I think Matt might be elibible for that.  Maybe we should just retire the jerseys (again, not the number...just a jersey in honor of) of all of our 1st team All-Americans that we have had.  Maybe a ring of honor in football like the Cowboys do.

The reason I started this thread was I would like to find away to remember that we once were a great team in both football and basketball...so some of the younger fans will know that we have a proud history.  Give the current players and future players something to shoot for...the hope that their name or jersey will be displayed somewhere.  Everytime they step on to the court or field they know they play for a school that had and has a proud tradition.

So, yes, Corliss...Day...Boot...Montegomery...Ferguson...Gary Anderson...Thurman...Billy Ray Smith....Dan Hampton...Grovey...Steve Little...Brandon Burlesworth...Sid...Delph...

Maybe don't retire numbers...but display names or jerseys that show we once were...and will be again...great.
Retired Radio Host