Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What program is Arkansas similar to?

Started by Raiserback, June 13, 2006, 10:29:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogtheball

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on June 15, 2006, 06:00:32 pm
I have said many times throughout my time posting here that I see many similarities between Iowa and Arkansas. Neiter state has a major league sports franchise and is on the western edge of its conference. Both schools have to overcome the "its in the middle of nowhere" argument that teams no doubt use in recruiting. Both schools have a national championship awarded to them by the Football Writers Association, Iowa in 1958 (7-1-1) and of course Arkansas (11-0-0). In basketball, both schools ran the same press defense in the 1990's (Iowa under Dr. Tom Davis and Arkansas under Nolan Richardson. Both schools have a miracle play in football against LSU (Arkansas, "The Miracle on Markham" Jones to Birmingham in the fight for the SEC West title and Iowa "The Music City Miracle" Drew Tate to Warren Holloway to end the Capital One Bowl. Both schools has/had a dynasty in a third college sport (Arkansas, track and field and Iowa in wrestling)

The differences are pretty clear however. Iowa has in state rivals  (Iowa State, Drake and Northern Iowa). Iowa has not changed conferences in 100 years, unlike Arkansas. Arkansas has a recent history (recent in the last 50 years) of being very successul in baseball, Iowa does not. Iowa fans travel better to road games and bowl games...Iowa plays for three legitimate game trophies (Cy-Hawk trophy vs. Iowa State....Heartland Trophy vs. Wisconsin and the Floyd of Rosedale..a pig...vs. Minnesota....all of these games are long standing rivalries, something Arkansas lacks because of having switched conferences and not playing in state games. Of course Arkansas has a national championship in basketball and Iowa does not, both schools have been to final fours. Iowa has been to a BCS bowl and January bowls as of late, Arkansas has no BCS bowl.

I see similarities but differences as well...it's for you to decide how similar you (Arkansas) are to Iowa.

I used to believe that Arkansas should play Arkansas State in all sports because they are an in state Division I school but I now believe that Iowa vs. Iowa State (in football) is a case study of why Arkansas and Arkansas State should not play.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

I thought the question was "what program IS Arkansas similar to?"  I don't need to look back 60 years for that assessment.  In basketball, my first reaction is Wisconsin - although they've had a better record than us lately.  In football, I wish we were as good as Wisconsin.  I think we're actually on par with Okie State in football (but they have had a much better b-ball program the last ten years or so.   Missou is probably the closest - although I might put us with Nebraska if we have a good f-ball season this year.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

big boes

michigan st- claim 1 national title and own a similar winning percentage and overall wins.

hogtheball

Quote from: big boes on June 16, 2006, 03:47:38 am
michigan st- claim 1 national title and own a similar winning percentage and overall wins.

...except Michigan State has had the best basketball program in the country over the last 8 years.  We've never been as good at anything, ever, as Michigan State's basketball success.  In the last seven years, they've been to the final four FOUR TIMES - and have one national championship.  They've been to the elite eight four of the last five years.  The next closest school has only been twice. 

Michigan State has a better basketball program than even Duke and North Carolina right now.  I only wish we were similar to them.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

trufanofhogs

Quote from: werehog on June 15, 2006, 06:31:29 pm
LSU has eras of dominance in basketball -- the Bob Petit era -- the Pistol Pete Maravich era -- the Shaq era -- and now the Big Baby era. The Hogs have never had the basketball superstars that LSU has had. The Hogs have had good players, but not great ones.             "eras of dominance" ???   GET REAL  that is 4 players you have mentioned. Shaq's great, you bet. But he couldn't beat the May Day Oliver Miller Hogs when he was at LSU. When Pistol Pete was at LSU they were barely at .500, never played in the NCAA tourney, never won any Championships. Big Baby is a great player - Superstar??  Greater than Corliss Williamson? I wouldn't bet on it. Just like Corliss, he is a tweener. Great college player, but one who will be average at the next level. But where is his National Championship ring? His NCAA Tournament MVP award? Corliss has those. See the post from JJHOG re: the NCAA tourney records for the 2 schools. LSU has no NC. They have been to 2 final fours - Arkansas has been to 7 of them. Arkansas has been a NC and NCAA runnerup. More than one National Publication has included Arkansas in the all time top ten, rated as high as number 8. No one views LSU this favorably. Arkansas has had only "good" players, not great ones? Sidney Moncrief was a 2 time 1st team All American and a 6 time NBA All Star. Alvin Robertson was an All American, an Olympic Gold Medalist, and a perennial NBA All Star. Joe Kleine was an All American, Olympic Gold Medalist, and 12 year NBA veteran. He was the 6th player chosen in the NBA draft after his Senior year. At Arkansas, all of these players led great teams that were highly ranked and regarded. Moncrief's teams were 3 time Conference champs and went to the Final 4 and Elite 8. Two of the LSU players you mentioned (Shaq and Maravich) never won any championships in college.

LSU better than Arkansas in basketball all time? Are they even close? NO WAY!!
Arkansas has only one "all time" rival or "peer" in the SEC - and that is the Kentucky Wildcats, College basketball's all time #1

hogtheball

Yea, LSU's b-ball program isn't even close over history.  I'm sure you're not saying Big Baby is a better ball player than Sidney, Corliss, or Alvin.  Kleine would have schooled Big Baby at the post and so would Oliver Miller.  Now Pete and Shaq and Petit were all great, but their teams weren't.

Adam Stokes

I think Washington.  Once in a blue moon they have success in football, basketball team has it ups and down.

trufanofhogs

Quote from: hogtheball on June 16, 2006, 06:35:20 pm
Yea, LSU's b-ball program isn't even close over history.  I'm sure you're not saying Big Baby is a better ball player than Sidney, Corliss, or Alvin.  Kleine would have schooled Big Baby at the post and so would Oliver Miller.  Now Pete and Shaq and Petit were all great, but their teams weren't.
Hey, hogtheball - I hope you realize I screwed up trying to quote werehog - I hope you could tell my response from his previous post

hogtheball

Quote from: trufanofhogs on June 16, 2006, 06:55:39 pm
Quote from: hogtheball on June 16, 2006, 06:35:20 pm
Hey, hogtheball - I hope you realize I screwed up trying to quote werehog - I hope you could tell my response from his previous post

Yea, I could tell - I mess up that quote thing often myself.

trufanofhogs

Yes, Kleine could probably have more than held his own with Big Baby - Kleine's big rival in his days at Arkansas was Hakeem "the Dream" Olajuwon - and brother, did they ever have some battles!! Yeah, I think Joe would probably teach Big Baby a thing or 2.

hogtheball

Quote from: trufanofhogs on June 16, 2006, 07:22:31 pm
Yes, Kleine could probably have more than held his own with Big Baby - Kleine's big rival in his days at Arkansas was Hakeem "the Dream" Olajuwon - and brother, did they ever have some battles!! Yeah, I think Joe would probably teach Big Baby a thing or 2.

I always like watching big Joe battle with Jon Koncak at SMU as well as "the dream."  Fun times.

ghg1

"LSU has eras of dominance in basketball -- the Bob Petit era -- the Pistol Pete Maravich era -- the Shaq era -- and now the Big Baby era. The Hogs have never had the basketball superstars that LSU has had. The Hogs have had good players, but not great ones."

Yea, LSU has had some great stars over the years....which begs the question why they haven't been more successful.  Do you rate an entire program by individuals?  No, you rate it  by success of the TEAM.  LSU basketball history isn't even on the same planet as Arkansas's.  It's not remotely close.  UA ranks in the Top Ten in Final Four appearances, NCAA Tourney appearances, NCAA Tourney wins and All-Time Win Percentage.  LSU isn't even on that radar screen.  In Street & Smith's recent ranking of the greatest basketball programs of all time, Arkansas came in at #8.  And where was LSU?......

At a stellar #50.

Guess they just didn't get your memo that LSU is the better program.

Adam Stokes

Glen Davis doesn't have an era.  If he was good enough for an era he'd be in the draft this year.

Boss Hogg

University of Phoenix Online   8)

No, seriously...
Miami...no...Texas...uhmm...Duke...nah...Florida...negative...   :'(

Probably closer to...
USC...that's University of South Carolina...maybe Missouri at their best...but closer to Maryland, I'd say.   ::)

Rooster Hawgburn

I still say Clemson! Didn't Hatfield leave us for Clemson ???

The modern day "Bowden Boy" is probably better recieved than "our" HDN! Didn't Ford also coach at Clemson ???

:P Isn't our next AD supposed to be from Clemson?  :P

Nutt and Da Bowdy Boy's record is about the same...  :-\

Clemson should be the shoe-in!!!  :'(   :'(   :'(