Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What program is Arkansas similar to?

Started by Raiserback, June 13, 2006, 10:29:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Raiserback

If you could pick any other college athletic program, which one would you consider to be most comparable to the Razorbacks?  Maybe this will give some perspective on where we stand as compared to everyone else.

OklaU

Minnesota?  I don't mean it as a knock or anything.  One "king of the hill" university in the state, historicall had pretty good football teams.  Though their basketball teams haven't been very good, they seem to have pretty good hockey teams. 

But I only think they're only similar in football for the most part.

"Just because you had the last word, doesn't make it anymore true."

sasnakrafan

IOWA? A threat some years mostly playing the spoiler roles. Consistently good in basketball.

OklaU

Quote from: sasnakrafan on June 13, 2006, 10:39:04 pm
IOWA? A threat some years mostly playing the spoiler roles. Consistently good in basketball.

You know I was thinking that one as well.  But then you have a good in-state rival in Iowa State.  Arkansas doesn't have that.

nwarazfan

Iowa is who I thought of too.  Good history in both football and basketball.  Good fan support and emphasis on both. Few schools have the tradition, athl dept emphasis and fan support in both sports.  Michigan comes to mind except they have of course better football tradition.  No SEC school is really comparable except maybe Florida  (unless you go by athl dept budgets and then we don't compete) or maybe LSU.

OklaU

Quote from: nwarazfan on June 13, 2006, 10:46:08 pm

Iowa is who I thought of too.  Good history in both football and basketball.  Good fan support and emphasis on both. Few schools have the tradition, athl dept emphasis and fan support in both sports.  Michigan comes to mind except they have of course better football tradition.  No SEC school is really comparable except maybe Florida  (unless you go by athl dept budgets and then we don't compete) or maybe LSU.

If your looking at SEC schools then perhaps Ole Miss.  Once again historically speaking...they've had pretty good success at times.

sickboy1138

For some reason I think of Maryland.  Solid football program and a really good basketball program.  Maybe because I am only in my early 20's and have really just known maryland druing the late 80's and 90's but hey Maryland brought home a National Championshim in Basketball and have at least always been a middle of the road football team.

nwarazfan

Quote from: OklaU on June 13, 2006, 10:48:30 pm
Quote from: nwarazfan on June 13, 2006, 10:46:08 pm

If your looking at SEC schools then perhaps Ole Miss.  Once again historically speaking...they've had pretty good success at times.

Are you trying to be funny?  OM has won I believe 3 NCAAT games ever.  Football, yes we are kind of similar as far as once being among the elite and having been to a similar number of bowls.  However, over the last 30 years, they don't come close especially in New Year's Day appearances.  Baseball we are both close even though we have more recent CWS appearances.  But basketball is where the athl dept's seperate and there is no comparison. 

Zen_Hog

Maryland is a good comparison actually.

CiriusPorker

Arkansas is more like the AA program.  Just when you think things are good enough to stop drinking, everything goes to crap, then you have to start drinking again. ;D

Joe-T

nwarazfan

Quote from: Dmac4Heisman on June 13, 2006, 10:56:36 pm
Maryland is a good comparison actually.

As far as competitive success and support in multiple sports, so is Ga Tech.  Another once good football school. 

Its actually tough to find too many schools that have an all time Top 10 basketball program, Top 25 football program and Top 25 baseball program(we could make the arguement we are all 3 based on postseason appearances, championships, CWS/F4s/NY's Bowls) that invest in all 3, emphasize all 3 as important and have very strong fan support for all 3.  For northern schools, trade hockey or lacrosse with our baseball.  Then of course we have track with the support and tradition.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Arizona would probably be pretty close.  They edge us in basketball.  We probably edge them in football.  Baseball is pretty close probably.

Hog Ma n Pop

"If I had a Prozac right now the size of Alabama I would chew that fu*ker till dawn." - Phyllis from Mulga

Richard_white

I would say West Virginia or Louisville.

Seems to me they haven't done much in the past except for mid major bowls.  They are making there run in this decade.

hawg23

"Was like a full crowd scene at the food lines"

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Northwest Arkansas Community College
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

#1HeadHog

Quote from: sickboy1138 on June 13, 2006, 10:52:55 pm
For some reason I think of Maryland.  Solid football program and a really good basketball program.  Maybe because I am only in my early 20's and have really just known maryland druing the late 80's and 90's but hey Maryland brought home a National Championshim in Basketball and have at least always been a middle of the road football team.

You stole ever word out of my mouth.......lol  I agree 100% with wut u said, maybe its because we're both young??? I'm finna be 17 tho so ur alittle older
"Always root for the winner. That way you won't be disappointed."

ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS

Hogstocking

Table Rocker

RedSatinHog

Syracuse.  They've been to a few final fours, won an NC, and they got repeatedly shunned in successful years in football.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Rooster Hawgburn

June 14, 2006, 12:53:43 am #21 Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:46:20 am by Rooster Hawgburn
CLEMSON!!! Same stuff every other year.... DIFFERENT STORY LINE!!! SAME OUTCOME!!!  A "BOWDEN BOY"...been there for years ,,, About the Same Overall Record as NuttButter!

"CLEMSON" ... would be MY pick!

Agree or Disagree ???

Oklahawg

Missouri. Primary school in the state. Modest success in both major sports over the past 30 years.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Le Hogtre

How about NC State

Football - a minor bowl game ( 7-5 the Car Care Bowl)
Basketball - an NCAA tournament birth
Baseball - a regional birth (knocked out Texas, then blown out by Stanford)

ClubChubby

Nebraska? West Virginia? I'm thinking of schools that would be equally hard to recruit to.

Tater Salad

Our fans act like we're supposed to be similar to UNC and Duke in basketball and Miami and USC in football

the donger

Hopefully, like Springdale High Schools program last year.

Hog Ma n Pop

"If I had a Prozac right now the size of Alabama I would chew that fu*ker till dawn." - Phyllis from Mulga

TulsaFan

Colorado?  Occasionally good, very seldom real good.  But always a good question mark.

THROWITDEEP

PigMan

Well actually Nebraska.

Set the championship period aside and you have Arkansas. No in-state competion and ups and downs in winning.

hogfan064

Quote from: Rooster Hawgburn on June 14, 2006, 12:53:43 am
CLEMSON!!! Same stuff every other year.... DIFFERENT STORY LINE!!! SAME OUTCOME!!!  A "BOWDEN BOY"...been there for years ,,, About the Same Overall Record as NuttButter!

"CLEMSON" ... would be MY pick!

Agree or Disagree ???

Definitely Clemson.  Both have had Ford and Hatfield as coaches. Terry Don Phillips is another thing we got in common Nutt and Bowden have almost identical records.  Both have been to many bowls, have 1 NC, and have been a powerhouse at some point.  Both are located in a NW portion of a state in the mountains. 

rzrbaxfan

Just in the BCS era, picking another team that has never been to a BCS bowl, at most a 9 win season, and maybe a losing record in there too, and no major in state competition..man thats tough.

Clemson: at least was above .500 since 99
Iowa, Maryland, Colorado, Nebraska:  at least have seen a BCS bowl
Mich St, Ok St, Mizzou: at least 4 losing seasons in the last 7

I agree with NC St.  Although they have an in state rival, how about Ga Tech, Virginia, or AZ St?

JJHog

18. Washington
19. Arkansas
20.Texas A&M
21. Colorado
22. Michigan State
23. Clemson
24 PItt
25 Iowa

IN THE ALL TIME AP POLL HERE ARE SOME SCHOOLS CLOSELY RANKED TO UofA

" Think Right, Do Right"

werehog

West Virginia, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Virginia Tech and maybe Clemson. They all represent small populations, have somewhat limited resources. Missouri is the only major university in its state, but the state has almost three times the population of Arkansas. They had good football teams when Don Faurot was the coach and good teams under Dan Devine and fair teams lately. They had basketball success under Norm Stewart, but not much lately Mizzou has at least one college world series title and almost always has a strong baseball team. However, Mizzou is really an underachiever -- great campus, great town, great facilities -- so-so teams in a state that has much more D1 talent in basketball and football than Arkansas does.

Biggest overachiever in recruting -- Nebraska. How can the Corncobbs get so much D1 talent from California to go to a hole like Lincoln. Now, Ole Miss is scouring California for D1 talent. If we don't expand our recruiting in FB, Ole Miss is going to bury us in a couple of years. LSU doesn't really fit because they have had much more succfess in football and baseball. They have a slight edge in basketball in spite of never having won a NCAA title and they have a competitive track team every year. Also, Lousiana produces more NFL players per captita than any other state. What makes their high school football so good?

cbaker

rzrbaxfan

QuoteUAPB

Mo Forte is on his way to your house right now  ;D

pbjones81

Ive always thought we were comparable to Minnesota and West Virginia (which are both very competitive teams when they want to be).

DirectorM

I agree with Colorado.  Maybe Mizzou as well.  Although ( maybe just because I am a fan) I would put the hogs a litlle head of both.

rzrbaxfan

In case you missed it, scroll back up and look at Tata Instagata's pic at the bottom of his post....that is some funny crap. ;D +1

trufanofhogs

Quote from: werehog on June 14, 2006, 03:32:17 pm
LSU doesn't really fit because they have had much more succfess in football and baseball. They have a slight edge in basketball in spite of never having won a NCAA title
How in the world do you figure LSU has a slight edge in basketball? Actually, it is not even close. Arkansas is considered by many non partisan national observers to be an all time Top Ten program. LSU is not. Except for a period of approximately 15-20 years from the late 50's until the arrival of Eddie Sutton in the middle 70's, Arkansas has always been extremely successful in basketball. Arkansas was the winningest program in SWC history, having won more conference titles than any other school. For 28 years, while being coached by 2 hall fame coaches (Sutton and Richardson) Arkansas has consistently been one College Basketball's best. In head to head competition with Arkansas, LSU has mostly not fared well. I think we had been in the SEC for about 10 years before they beat us even once. Over the last 3 or 4 years they have won a few games, but the series has been very competitive. Arkansas's brief down spell is over. For most of the whiny p**s ants on here who don't believe it, I say HIDE AND WATCH      As for what School we are most similar to??  Hard to say.  Hmm?  How about Georgia?   

Richard_white

hawkeyefan17

I have said many times throughout my time posting here that I see many similarities between Iowa and Arkansas. Neiter state has a major league sports franchise and is on the western edge of its conference. Both schools have to overcome the "its in the middle of nowhere" argument that teams no doubt use in recruiting. Both schools have a national championship awarded to them by the Football Writers Association, Iowa in 1958 (7-1-1) and of course Arkansas (11-0-0). In basketball, both schools ran the same press defense in the 1990's (Iowa under Dr. Tom Davis and Arkansas under Nolan Richardson. Both schools have a miracle play in football against LSU (Arkansas, "The Miracle on Markham" Jones to Birmingham in the fight for the SEC West title and Iowa "The Music City Miracle" Drew Tate to Warren Holloway to end the Capital One Bowl. Both schools has/had a dynasty in a third college sport (Arkansas, track and field and Iowa in wrestling)

The differences are pretty clear however. Iowa has in state rivals  (Iowa State, Drake and Northern Iowa). Iowa has not changed conferences in 100 years, unlike Arkansas. Arkansas has a recent history (recent in the last 50 years) of being very successul in baseball, Iowa does not. Iowa fans travel better to road games and bowl games...Iowa plays for three legitimate game trophies (Cy-Hawk trophy vs. Iowa State....Heartland Trophy vs. Wisconsin and the Floyd of Rosedale..a pig...vs. Minnesota....all of these games are long standing rivalries, something Arkansas lacks because of having switched conferences and not playing in state games. Of course Arkansas has a national championship in basketball and Iowa does not, both schools have been to final fours. Iowa has been to a BCS bowl and January bowls as of late, Arkansas has no BCS bowl.

I see similarities but differences as well...it's for you to decide how similar you (Arkansas) are to Iowa.

I used to believe that Arkansas should play Arkansas State in all sports because they are an in state Division I school but I now believe that Iowa vs. Iowa State (in football) is a case study of why Arkansas and Arkansas State should not play.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

HognotinMemphis

Okla St, but not in basketball as they are much better in that sport.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

mountainhog

What , no one has mentioned Murray st.?    :o

werehog

LSU has eras of dominance in basketball -- the Bob Petit era -- the Pistol Pete Maravich era -- the Shaq era -- and now the Big Baby era. The Hogs have never had the basketball superstars that LSU has had. The Hogs have had good players, but not great ones.

PigKahuna

Seriously, more like a NC State.  Basketball and football.

JJHog

Quote from: Raiserback on June 13, 2006, 10:29:00 pm
If you could pick any other college athletic program, which one would you consider to be most comparable to the Razorbacks?  Maybe this will give some perspective on where we stand as compared to everyone else.

Taking into consideration the all time AP college football poll and all time NCaa basketball records, here is who we match up best against:

football rank  all time ncaa hoops reciord thru 2001

Ark  19               39-25
LSU  16              19-19
Syr   32              39-27
MichST 22           29-13
Iowa  25             26-21 
Ok St  57            30-16
TTech 60             5-11
A&M 20               3-7
" Think Right, Do Right"

oldbooniehog

MrSpook1352

University of Hawaii.  The campus is situated in a paradise and people at one end of the state have $%*#@ of a time driving to see the games.  ;)