Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to make your picks...

Started by GolfNut57, March 16, 2014, 04:02:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

March 16, 2014, 04:02:50 pm Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:10:05 pm by GolfNut57
Ok let's see em. Your picks for the division winners through to the WS winner.

AL East- Boston
AL Central- Indians
AL West- Rangers

AL Wildcards- Tampa Bay
                 - Oakland

AL WC Winner- Oakland

ALDS- Boston over Cleveland
       - Oakland over Rangers

ALCS- Oakland over Boston

NL East- Atlanta
NL Central- Cinncinatti
NL West- AZ.

NL Wildcards- Washington
                 - Pittsburgh

NL WC winner- Pittsburgh

NLDS- Atlanta over Cinncinatti
       - Pittsburgh over AZ.

NLCS- Atlanta over Pittsburgh

World Series- Braves over the Oakland in six games.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ucahogfan

AL East - BoSox
AL Central - Tigers
AL West - Rangers

AL Wild Card - Rays
AL Wild Card - Athletics

WC Winner - Rays

ALDS Winners - BoSox and Tigers
ALCS Winner - Tigers

NL East - Braves
NL Central - Cardinals
NL West - Dodgers

NL Wild Card - Nationals
NL Wild Card - Reds

WC Winner - Nationals

NLDS Winners - Braves and Nationals
NLCS Winner - Braves

WS Winner - Braves!

AL MVP - Mike Trout
AL Cy Young - King Felix

NL MVP - Freddie Freeman
NL Cy Young - Clayton Kershaw

jrulz83

March 16, 2014, 04:50:51 pm #2 Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:50:15 pm by jrulz83
AL East: New York
AL Central: Detroit
AL West: Oakland

AL WC: Texas
AL WC: Boston

AL WC Winner: Texas

ALDS Winners: Texas/Detroit

AL Champion: Detroit

NL East: Washington
NL Central: St. Louis
NL West: Los Angeles

NL WC: San Fran
NL WC: Atlanta

NLDS: Winners: St. Louis/Los Angeles

NL Champion: St. Louis

World Champions: St. Louis
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

yraciv

AL East- Boston
AL Central- Detroit
AL West- Angels

AL Wildcards- Yankees
                 - Oakland

AL WC Winner- Oakland

ALDS- Boston over Oakland
       - Tigers over Angels

ALCS- Tigers over Boston

NL East- Atlanta
NL Central- Cardinals
NL West- San Fran.

NL Wildcards- Washington
                 - Dodgers

NL WC winner- Dodgers

NLDS- Atlanta over LA
       - Cardinals over Giants

NLCS- Atlanta over Cardinals

World Series- Braves over Tigers in 6

GolfNut57

So three picks for the Tigers to make it to the World series WITHOUT Jim Leyland and Prince Fielder? Going to be a tough row to hoe for the Motor City team.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

jrulz83

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 16, 2014, 05:07:22 pm
So three picks for the Tigers to make it to the World series WITHOUT Jim Leyland and Prince Fielder? Going to be a tough row to hoe for the Motor City team.

Pitching... They did lose Iglesias yesterday though.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 16, 2014, 05:13:52 pm
Pitching... They did lose Iglesias yesterday though.
You only have one WC for your NL teams.

Losing Iglesias is huge for the Tigers considering they let Peralta walk to St. Louis (which Peralta shouldn't be a major league SS IMO) and probably means they have to sign Drew now.

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 16, 2014, 05:07:22 pm
When you have the reigning Cy Young award winner, the reigning ERA winner, and Justin Verlander on the same staff, people tend to pick you more often than not.  And don't forget they still have the greatest hitter alive in Miggy although he won't have Prince protecting him this year, but does have a full year of V-Mart.

And why do you have the ChiSox winning the AL Central?  They are clearly in rebuilding mode on the South Side and will be lucky to be above .500 this year.  Also, why don't you have the Dodgers winning the NL West?  The West doesn't have a terrible team, but Kershaw and Grienke were the 2 best pitchers in the league after the All-Star Break.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 16, 2014, 05:35:34 pm

Losing Iglesias is huge for the Tigers considering they let Peralta walk to St. Louis (which Peralta shouldn't be a major league SS IMO) and probably means they have to sign Drew now.
When you have the reigning Cy Young award winner, the reigning ERA winner, and Justin Verlander on the same staff, people tend to pick you more often than not.  And don't forget they still have the greatest hitter alive in Miggy although he won't have Prince protecting him this year, but does have a full year of V-Mart.

And why do you have the ChiSox winning the AL Central?  They are clearly in rebuilding mode on the South Side and will be lucky to be above .500 this year.  Also, why don't you have the Dodgers winning the NL West?  The West doesn't have a terrible team, but Kershaw and Grienke were the 2 best pitchers in the league after the All-Star Break.

I started to go with the Tigers in the AL Central but I just don't see them making it with the losses of Fielder and Leyland. The ChiSox were only picked as the best of the rest in that division because I don't see the Twins, Royals or Cleveland doing alot. I could be wrong though. The Indians may surprise me. As for the NL West I just have a feeling about the D'Backs. Grienke? mehhh.....I think he is going to have a mediocre year this season.

btw, I could see Drew going to the Tiger.....which would be ironic. Drew was supposedly going to be replaced by Iglesias in Boston last year and now it appears he could be Iggy's replacement in Detroit. IF they could convince Boras to take the one year deal. And for one year Boston may be willing to sign Drew.

jrulz83

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 16, 2014, 05:35:34 pm

Oops, meant to have Atlanta, thanks for catching that. Peralta does have defensive "issues" at SS. We'll see what happens, the Cardinals know that he has poor range. If he catches what he is supposed to catch; the bat upgrade over Kozma will hopefully offset the defense. I'd prefer the good defense though...

jrulz83

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 16, 2014, 05:47:04 pm
I started to go with the Tigers in the AL Central but I just don't see them making it with the losses of Fielder and Leyland. The ChiSox were only picked as the best of the rest in that division because I don't see the Twins, Royals or Cleveland doing alot. I could be wrong though. The Indians may surprise me. As for the NL West I just have a feeling about the D'Backs. Grienke? mehhh.....I think he is going to have a mediocre year this season.

btw, I could see Drew going to the Tiger.....which would be ironic. Drew was supposedly going to be replaced by Iglesias in Boston last year and now it appears he could be Iggy's replacement in Detroit. IF they could convince Boras to take the one year deal. And for one year Boston may be willing to sign Drew.

The White Sox had me scratching my head. How does a Cleveland team with no major roster losses that finished 92-70 last year not get a pick over the 99 game loser White Sox?

Ray Piggers

AL EAST: New York Yankees
AL CENTRAL: Kansas City Royals
AL WEST: Oakland Athletics

AL WC: Texas Rangers
AL WC: Baltimore Orioles

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera
AL CY YOUNG: Felix Hernandez

AL Champ: Yankees

NL EAST: Washington Nationals
NL CENTRAL: St. Louis Cardinals
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers

NL WC: San Francisco Giants
NL WC: Cincinatti Reds

NL MVP : Yadier Molina
NL CY YOUNG: Adam Wainwright

NL Champ: Cardinals

WS: Cardinals in 7
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

GolfNut57

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 16, 2014, 06:13:30 pm
The White Sox had me scratching my head. How does a Cleveland team with no major roster losses that finished 92-70 last year not get a pick over the 99 game loser White Sox?

Hey.....if I could make every pick correctly i would be a lottery winner by now.  8)

ucahogfan

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 16, 2014, 05:47:04 pm

Like jrulz said, I just don't see a 99 loss team from 2013 making that big of a jump when their biggest roster addition is Jose Abreu who is completely unproven at the big level and plays the same position as their top 2 power hitters in Konerko and Dunn.  They do have one of the best young starters in the game in Sale, but not much after him.

The White Sox are probably the worst team in the AL Central IMO.  The Twins added a few mid level rotation guys and have Mauer who could hit .400 this year not having the trouble of being behind the plate.  The Royals might have the best pen in the game (best in the AL for sure) and added a couple of hitters in Aoki and Infante to improve their offense and still have Big Game James headlining their rotation.  The Indians were a playoff team a year ago and really only lost Kazmir and Jimenez off their pitching staff.

The DBacks probably lost their ace for the 2014 season in Corbin who tore his UCL.  That is a huge loss and they gave up a lot of their top young prospects and added Mark Trumbo to be their cleanup guy.  Yeah, he will probably hit 40 HRs, but is also a sub .300 OBP guy.

Grienke had something crazy like a 1.63 ERA in his last 16 starts.  He just seems to be a dominant #2 behind Kershaw and is getting paid like an ace.  He could actually be the Cy Young winner this year much like Scherzer was for Detroit last year as their #2.

The only reason why Drew and Iglesias aren't Red Sox right now is because of Xander Boegarts who is headlining the next group of great SSs like the A-Rod, Jeter, Nomar, and Miguel Tejada group of about 20 years ago.  He will develop into a 30 HR type guy in his mid 20s, but right now is probably more of a doubles threat.  It would be funny if Drew replaced Iglesias in Detroit because Iglesias almost replaced him in Boston before being shipped off for Peavy.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 16, 2014, 06:47:49 pm
Like jrulz said, I just don't see a 99 loss team from 2013 making that big of a jump when their biggest roster addition is Jose Abreu who is completely unproven at the big level and plays the same position as their top 2 power hitters in Konerko and Dunn.  They do have one of the best young starters in the game in Sale, but not much after him.

The White Sox are probably the worst team in the AL Central IMO.  The Twins added a few mid level rotation guys and have Mauer who could hit .400 this year not having the trouble of being behind the plate.  The Royals might have the best pen in the game (best in the AL for sure) and added a couple of hitters in Aoki and Infante to improve their offense and still have Big Game James headlining their rotation.  The Indians were a playoff team a year ago and really only lost Kazmir and Jimenez off their pitching staff.

The DBacks probably lost their ace for the 2014 season in Corbin who tore his UCL.  That is a huge loss and they gave up a lot of their top young prospects and added Mark Trumbo to be their cleanup guy.  Yeah, he will probably hit 40 HRs, but is also a sub .300 OBP guy.

Grienke had something crazy like a 1.63 ERA in his last 16 starts.  He just seems to be a dominant #2 behind Kershaw and is getting paid like an ace.  He could actually be the Cy Young winner this year much like Scherzer was for Detroit last year as their #2.

The only reason why Drew and Iglesias aren't Red Sox right now is because of Xander Boegarts who is headlining the next group of great SSs like the A-Rod, Jeter, Nomar, and Miguel Tejada group of about 20 years ago.  He will develop into a 30 HR type guy in his mid 20s, but right now is probably more of a doubles threat.  It would be funny if Drew replaced Iglesias in Detroit because Iglesias almost replaced him in Boston before being shipped off for Peavy.

Re ChiSox making that huge of a jump. Look at the Red Sox and the jump they made from 2012 to 2013. From worst to first and no one saw that coming either. It is baseball where anything can happen.

Re the point of Drew replacing Iggy. Yeah I mentioned the irony of that in an earlier post above.

GolfNut57

Btw, is there a chance one of the Mods could please pin this thread to the top of the forum so we can refer back to it during the season without having to search for it through multiple pages?

ucahogfan

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 16, 2014, 06:55:05 pm
Re ChiSox making that huge of a jump. Look at the Red Sox and the jump they made from 2012 to 2013. From worst to first and no one saw that coming either. It is baseball where anything can happen.

Re the point of Drew replacing Iggy. Yeah I mentioned the irony of that in an earlier post above.
Except the Red Sox had a lot of talent and just horribly underperformed in 2012 while the White Sox have very little talent.  Horrible comparison.  That would be like saying the Astros are going to win the AL West because of that example.

Baseball Hog

Braves
Cards
Dodgers
Nationals

Red Sox
Tigers
Angels
Rangers

Dodgers over Red Sox.

GolfNut57

After doing a little more research on the ChiSox I guess I will have to rethink my pick for the AL Central. None of the teams in that division impress me all that much but I guess I will go with the Indians.

pigture perfect

Sox
Tigers
A's
Angels/O's

Nat's
Cards
Dodgers
Giants/Braves

O's over Tigers
A's over Sox
A's over O's

Cards over Giants
Dodgers over Nats
Dodgers over Cards

Dodgers over A's
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dropkick

AL East- Tampa
AL Central- Tigers
AL West- Angels

AL Wildcards- Red Sox
                 - Rangers

AL WC Winner- Red Sox

ALDS- Tigers over Red Sox
       - Angels over Rays

ALCS- Tigers over Angels

NL East- Nationals
NL Central- Cardinals
NL West- Dodgers

NL Wildcards- Braves
                 - Diamondbacks

NL WC winner- Braves

NLDS- Cardinals over Braves
       - Nationals over Dodgers

NLCS- Cardinals over Nationals

World Series- Tigers over Cardinals in 7 games.

PorkerOinker

Red Sox
Tigers
Rangers

Braves
Cards
Dodgers

AL WC- A's and Rays

NL WC-Nats and Dbacks

ALCS-Tigers/Rangers

NLCS-Dodgers/Cards

WS-Rangers over Dodgers
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Oklahawg

I love these threads - it means the season is "right here". Baseball from Down Under this weekend, right?

AL East: Tampa Bay
AL Central: Kansas City
AL West: Texas
AL WC: Detroit
AL WC: Baltimore

NL East: Washington
NL Central: St. Louis
NL West: Los Angeles
NL WC: Cincinnati
NL WC: San Francisco

Texas vs St. Louis in a rematch

AL MVP: Evan Longoria
AL Cy Young: King Felix
AL ROY: Jose Abreu

NL MVP: Joey Votto
NL Cy Young: Clayton Kershaw
NL ROY: Javier Baez

I am out on a limb with Tampa Bay but I think Longoria finally has a career year and leads them forward.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ucahogfan

Quote from: Oklahawg on March 19, 2014, 10:24:29 pm
I love these threads - it means the season is "right here". Baseball from Down Under this weekend, right?

I am out on a limb with Tampa Bay but I think Longoria finally has a career year and leads them forward.
Yep, the Dodgers and the DBacks are about to open the season on Saturday at like 4 AM ET and then 11 PM ET.

And picking Tampa Bay is not going out on a limb IMO.  They have like 6 seasons in a row where they have won at least 90 games which is crazy to think about.  Longo finally has some protection in the lineup with Wil Myers who should have a big sophomore season.  That pitching staff has 2 legit aces in Price and Moore (if he throws strikes) and Cobb is looking like another Shields for that staff.

Concerning your ROYs, it is very much in the air for me.  The NL had a ton of great rookies last year in Fernandez who won the ROY and could potentially win multiple Cy Youngs, Puig, Teheran, and several Cards.  I've been really impressed with Baez from the little I have seen of him and can see the bat speed comp with Gary Sheffield and he might hit 40 HRs playing in the NL Central, but he needs to learn how to play 2B right now.  Castro is the Cubs starting SS and Kris Bryant is the 3B of the future.

Jose Abreu seems like a good choice for AL ROY.  He'll probably hit 30+ HRs playing on the South Side if he gets consistent ABs with Konerko and Dunn also being in the lineup, but I don't see the White Sox paying him $68 million without playing him.  Masahiro Tanaka is another potential ROY.  The Yankees probably overpaid for him as he got King Felix money when you add in the posting number and Tanaka's ceiling is that of a #2 according to those in the know.

GolfNut57

Thinking I missed on my Boston pick.  :-\

ucahogfan

If I looked at this correctly, no one picked the Royals or Giants to make the WS.  Most people who picked the Cy Young for the NL was right with Kershaw, but he might win the next 10.  King Felix was a good bet as well because no one saw Kluber having the year he did.

lefty08

AL East- Boston
AL Central- Tigers
AL West-  Mariners

AL Wildcards-  Orioles
                 -  As

AL WC Winner-  Orioles

ALDS-  Tigers over Orioles
       .      Red Sox over Mariners

ALCS- Tigers over Red Sox

NL East- Nationals
NL Central-  Cardinals
NL West-  Giants

NL Wildcards-  Dodgers
                 -  Cubs

NL WC winner-  Cubs

NLDS-  Nationals over Cubs
       -  Giants over Cardinals

NLCS-  Nationals over Giants

World Series-  Tigers over Nationals in 5
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ChicoHog

It would be nice to get this thread started again for 2016 predictions.  Let's hear them!

GolfNut57

April 03, 2016, 07:16:23 am #27 Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 03:11:11 pm by GolfNut57
Sighhh...my picks always suck but WTH......I guess I will try again.

ALE- Orioles
ALC- Royals
ALW- Astros
AL WC's- Jays and Angels

AL Champion- Astros

NLE- Mets
NLC- Cardinals
NLW- Dodgers
NLWC's- Cubs and Nats

NL Champion- Mets

WS Champions- Mets in seven games

ChicoHog

April 03, 2016, 09:10:28 am #28 Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:58:11 pm by ChicoHog
ALE  Blue Jays
ALC  Royals
ALW  Rangers
Wild cards  Yankees and Astros
AL champ Rangers

NLE  Mets
NLC  Cubs
NLW  Dodgers (more heart than brain pick)
wild cards  Dbacks and Pirates
NL champ Cubs
WS champs Rangers

As long as the giants don't pull another wild card world series win out of their arse I will be happy.

yraciv

April 03, 2016, 01:58:56 pm #29 Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:01:58 am by yraciv
AL East- Boston
AL Central- Indians
AL West-  Rangers

AL Wildcards-  Blue Jays
                 -  Royals

AL WC Winner-  Blue Jays

ALDS-  Blue Jays over Rangers
       .      Red Sox over Indians

ALCS- Red Sox over Blue Jays

NL East- Mets
NL Central-  Cardinals
NL West-  Giants

NL Wildcards-  Dodgers
                 -  Cardinals

NL WC winner-  Cardinals

NLDS-  Cubs over Mets
       -  Giants over Cardinals

NLCS-  Cubs over Giants

World Series-  Red Sox over Cubs

GolfNut57

Quote from: yraciv on April 03, 2016, 01:58:56 pm
AL East- Boston
AL Central- Indians
AL West-  Rangers

AL Wildcards-  Blue Jays
                 -  Royals

AL WC Winner-  Blue Jays

NL East- Mets
NL Central-  Cardinals
NL West-  Giants

NL Wildcards-  Dodgers
                 -  Cubs

NL WC winner-  Cubs

NLDS-  Cubs over Mets
       -  Giants over Cardinals

NLCS-  Cubs over Giants

Guessing you meant the Cubs as the NL WC winner.  ;)

Oliver

My prediction is the Mets won't win the WS because they spent zero money addressing their team needs in the offseason. 

Outside of that I don't really care.  Oh alright Cubs win it all because they actually did the opposite of what the Mets did. 

GolfNut57

Quote from: yraciv on April 03, 2016, 01:58:56 pm
AL East- Boston
AL Central- Indians
AL West-  Rangers

AL Wildcards-  Blue Jays
                 -  Royals

AL WC Winner-  Blue Jays

NL East- Mets
NL Central-  Cardinals
NL West-  Giants

NL Wildcards-  Dodgers
                 -  Cardinals

NL WC winner-  Cardinals

NLDS-  Cubs over Mets
       -  Giants over Cardinals

NLCS-  Cubs over Giants

Oops... Now you have the Cards winning both the central AND a WC slot. And you have the Cubs in the WS without qualifying for the postseason. Been a long day huh.  ;D