Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ticks!!

Started by twistitup, March 11, 2014, 08:30:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

After a bad winter....they are still thriving in NWA. I cut back some fence rows today and found 5 on me. How?

Ticks suck, no way around it
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

pigture perfect

That doesn't bode well for Turkey season.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

grayhawg

Permethrin works for me, spray cloths until damp and let them dry overnight and it will last a couple of weeks and a light washing or two. Dick's Sporting goods has a brand called "Sawyers" and its the best I have ever used, seems to last longer and it kills the little buggers.

pigture perfect

Yeah. Sawyers Is good.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

twistitup

Thanks for the tip in Sawyers. Hopefully cabelas or academy carries it, no Dicks around here I don't think

LSUFan

We don't have ticks in S. La, the damn fire ants eat them, the rest probably wind up in a gumbo.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: twistitup on March 11, 2014, 08:30:53 pm

After a bad winter....they are still thriving in NWA. I cut back some fence rows today and found 5 on me. How?

Ticks suck, no way around it

Ticks, the first part of March?  Right after another dose of snow & ice?  You better stay out of those fence rows & woods this Spring & summer, or we won't be seeing any posts from you by Fall.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

twistitup

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on March 11, 2014, 10:49:04 pm
Ticks, the first part of March?  Right after another dose of snow & ice?  You better stay out of those fence rows & woods this Spring & summer, or we won't be seeing any posts from you by Fall.....

I couldn't believe it either.....I looked down and saw the first one - then screamed into the air-  Nooooooooooo

We've had the worst winter in years, those little devils are survivors for sure

showhimthewhip

Natural Selection at its finest.

cal34

The Permanone or Sawyers works great,  been using it for years.  I can walk through high grass & no seed ticks.  Best place to get it is at Dick's.  The cans there are cheaper than the pump bottle at Walmart.  I don't think the winter has much effect on the bugs or snakes.  Snakes have been out pretty good on the warm days.  I was hand holding my Gopro filming a Water snake from the Kayak Monday afternoon and he struck it,  lightning fast!  My first strike with the Gopro!  Hopefully many more to come.

CampuspostmanHOG

Wife killed a mosquito yesterday.

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

showhimthewhip

Ive been finding ticks ALL winter.  Not at a high rate, but enough.  I'd be willing to bet a found at least one tick every other week all winter.  But I raise and train squirrel dogs, and have around 4 dogs to hunt (one at a time) at any given time, so I spend more time in the woods than most.  I hypothesize that they are becoming more hardy, cold doesn't do to them what it used to.

twistitup

Quote from: showhimthewhip on March 13, 2014, 08:45:57 am
Ive been finding ticks ALL winter.  Not at a high rate, but enough.  I'd be willing to bet a found at least one tick every other week all winter.  But I raise and train squirrel dogs, and have around 4 dogs to hunt (one at a time) at any given time, so I spend more time in the woods than most.  I hypothesize that they are becoming more hardy, cold doesn't do to them what it used to.

A bit off topic but...
What age do you start taking your dogs to the woods? I just got a 9 wk old rat terrier I'm going to train. What do you do w/ young pups to get them on the right track?

showhimthewhip

I usually start taking them on SHORT walks through the woods at about 6 months.  Emphasizing short because the quickest way to get a dog to shut down is to let them get bored.  When they get bored, they tend to come follow you instead of go out hunting.  I call from 6 months to a year the "exploration" stage.  Every trip to the woods is a fun exploration for the pup.  I don't expect much out of them other than for them to stay gone farther and for longer increments at a time with each trip.  The most important tip I can give you is to go to a place there is a lot of squirrels.  A lot of people try to train squirrel dogs in a little patch of woods where there aren't many squirrels.  Sometimes, this requires driving somewhere and leaving the trusty deer hunting patch of woods behind.  There are a few good WMAs around.  Let me know if you would like that info.

DeltaBoy

Sulfur works use an old baby powder bottle and dust your ankles ,socks and waist good .I mix it 60% Sulfur and 40% Sevin dust.

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

grayhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 13, 2014, 09:00:58 pm
Sulfur works use an old baby powder bottle and dust your ankles ,socks and waist good .I mix it 60% Sulfur and 40% Sevin dust.

That will work, but the side effect is deer smell the sulphur and leave the area.

DeltaBoy

Deer might but what about those deer in parts of ARKANSAS where the water got sulfur smell.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.