Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best stock AR15

Started by Catfish Joe, February 07, 2014, 04:15:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Catfish Joe

I'm looking to get an  AR15 but I'm unsure of the platform I want to start out with.
I've been looking at Black Rain Ordinance,  Colt, and Rock River... anyone have any advice as to which or maybe another brand that would good?

Thanks
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

RazrRila99

Black rain is an amazing piece.  I'm wanting to sell my M&P15 so I can get a cmmg.

95_alum

Colt, Noveske, BCM, Daniel Defense.

pigture perfect

Colt is an excellent piece and if you ever decide to resell it, it will hold the best value.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

kodiakisland

How much do you want to spend and what type model?  Stock ARs really run the gamut of mild to wild in many, many different configurations.  I guess I consider a stock AR to be one most similar to an M16A2, but some may consider stock to mean anything you can by over the counter without customizing.

The brand I would most consider for myself is Noveske.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Old Tusk

Daniel Defense or a Lincoln Machine Tool.  You shound consider building up a rifle. It is easy and you really get to know the AR.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

Harley_Hawg

For your first AR i would go with a Colt 6920. If you are new to the AR platform i would suggest lurking around at ar15.com. They have several great picture threads and lots of useful info about various manufacturers. Once you get the black rifle disease there is no turning back. You will be building your own in no time.

CallThemHawgs!

All depends on your price point.

For a no frills, good value, Mil Spec AR .. the Palmetto State Armory line cannot be beat.

Catfish Joe

Colt 6920 ended up being the rifle for me. When you compare price ($999.00) with what you get in any colt firearm the choice was pretty clear. 
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

cdohogfan

I want a Daniel Defense. They're awfully pricey tho.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: cdohogfan on February 14, 2014, 09:53:22 pm
I want a Daniel Defense. They're awfully pricey tho.

DDs are the most overpriced and overrated guns on the market

Old Tusk

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 15, 2014, 11:21:11 am
DDs are the most overpriced and overrated guns on the market

Strongly disagree with this.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Old Tusk on February 15, 2014, 11:54:17 am
Strongly disagree with this.

So you think they are worth their hefty price tag?

I would like to hear why

Old Tusk

I have owned three and used their components in some builds. I have always found them to be top quality. Cheap guns are cheap for a reason.

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Old Tusk on February 15, 2014, 09:10:28 pm
I have owned three and used their components in some builds. I have always found them to be top quality. Cheap guns are cheap for a reason.

Not really, in todays market with all of the new AR mfgs and vet owned startups you can usually get better parts and guns built for half the price if you know where to look.

I can get nice billet receivers from SWAT in Texas thats as nice or nicer than anything DD has ever put on the market for 1/2 their price or less.

I just could never warrant buying a DD at retail, not when other companies like Palmetto are putting out complete Mil Spec rifles that are just as nice for less than half.

CallThemHawgs!

Now im not saying DD does not have nice stuff, I am just saying that its not LaRue, or Knights Armament, or HK. But often times its damn near the price.

Old Tusk

What is different between DD and the ones you list. Why are they better?

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: Old Tusk on February 16, 2014, 08:50:10 am
What is different between DD and the ones you list. Why are they better?

Well, LaRue makes some of the most accurate ARs on the market. Usually sub MOA out of the box. HKs are gas piston driven, and the reliability is legendary. Knights Armament uses their own bolt design, better gas system, etc to create an amazing handling gun that has virtually no recoil. Almost scary.

Now, each of those guns does cost more than a DD. But, if you just straight up want an incredible AR platform gun, knock yourself out.

DDs are expensive, middle of the road guns. Not great. Not awful. But IMO and based on what I have seen and heard, just not worth the coin.

Like I said, just way too many smaller guys making insanely good products right now. The market has changed a TON in the past couple years.

CallThemHawgs!

Im not calling you out Old Tusk, so dont think that please. Just relaying information and opinion based on what I have seen.

Daniel Defense still makes a fine gun!

titsonboar

Build your own if you can

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: CorkscrewU on February 16, 2014, 02:32:30 pm
Build your own if you can

Right now, that is definitely the best route

TuffTusk

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on February 09, 2014, 10:19:07 pm
All depends on your price point.

For a no frills, good value, Mil Spec AR .. the Palmetto State Armory line cannot be beat.

^^^This.  I just bought an AR my buddy built to sell at a gun show this weekend.  PSA lower and a BCM upper.  Really nice piece.
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time