Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squirrel

Started by NEA_Hogfan1, November 16, 2013, 09:11:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NEA_Hogfan1

Ok, this is a weird question and I Didnt know where else to post this, this forum seemed logical. We are having a Medieval Feast, because we just finished a unit on Medieval literature, next week at the school where I teach. And a few of my students have told me they were bringing a dish with squirl brains. At first, I thought they were joking with me because that's the type these two are. But they went into detail on how the prepare it. Now, I'm a little scared that they are seriously thinking about bringing this to school. Is there even such a thing as a recipe involving squirrel brains? I asked my husband because he's a Louisanna Coon A$$ native, but he just laughed.  I'm afraid they will actually bring a dish that had this and not tell anyone that's what's in it as a class joke. So if people actually make this what would it consist of? I told these boys they could make deer chili, but they seemed pretty gun hole about the squirrel thing.
Above all else, I'm a Hog lover.
After that, I'm  a Tiger hater.

sooieet

People do eat squirrel brains, but I have no idea how they are prepared.

NEA_Hogfan1

Quote from: sooieet on November 16, 2013, 09:27:47 am
People do eat squirrel brains, but I have no idea how they are prepared.

I have a pretty good rapport with these students, and we joke around. So maybe hopefully they are joking. I guess I will know next Wednesday.

dagnamit

;D they are not joking. Squirrel brains was my mother n laws favorite dish.... think scramble eggs.  8)

Wayne Watson

Try this....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CEAQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgammyshouse.com%2FRecipes%2Fseasonal%2Fhalloween%2FScrambledSquirrelBrains.pdf&ei=X-2HUtLMJYfQ2wWH9IDIDg&usg=AFQjCNEcKRxVqPVCLGz9p3lJ1dDXCMY_wA
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

NEA_Hogfan1

Quote from: Wayne Watson on November 16, 2013, 04:17:44 pm
Try this....

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CEAQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgammyshouse.com%2FRecipes%2Fseasonal%2Fhalloween%2FScrambledSquirrelBrains.pdf&ei=X-2HUtLMJYfQ2wWH9IDIDg&usg=AFQjCNEcKRxVqPVCLGz9p3lJ1dDXCMY_wA

Oh, that makes me feel much better lol. These kids are seniors too they will probably try to pull it off.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: NEA_Hogfan1 on November 16, 2013, 04:26:12 pm
Oh, that makes me feel much better lol. These kids are seniors too they will probably try to pull it off.

We don't rent pigs

kodiakisland

Quote from: NEA_Hogfan1 on November 16, 2013, 09:11:18 am
Ok, this is a weird question and I Didnt know where else to post this, this forum seemed logical. We are having a Medieval Feast, because we just finished a unit on Medieval literature, next week at the school where I teach. And a few of my students have told me they were bringing a dish with squirl brains. At first, I thought they were joking with me because that's the type these two are. But they went into detail on how the prepare it. Now, I'm a little scared that they are seriously thinking about bringing this to school. Is there even such a thing as a recipe involving squirrel brains? I asked my husband because he's a Louisanna Coon A$$ native, but he just laughed.  I'm afraid they will actually bring a dish that had this and not tell anyone that's what's in it as a class joke. So if people actually make this what would it consist of? I told these boys they could make deer chili, but they seemed pretty gun hole about the squirrel thing.

Squirrel brains in scrambled eggs is or was a pretty common way of eating them.  Nothing too sinister about it.
Also, I think you meant gung ho and not gun hole. 
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

1highhog

Are you kidding me? Have any of y'all never had squirrel brains?  Hell man, where are y'all from?  I was born and raised in the South, when we killed squirrel, we had all of him besides his entrails laying on the table.

DeltaBoy

I skinned the heads out and left them on for my Grandmother she lived to be 100.  She just fryed the head on with the rest of the Squirrel.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NEA_Hogfan1

Well, they didn't make it thank goodness. Everything went smoothly.

AcornHunter

'fan 1,

It's wonderful to read about a teacher having such good rapport with her students about such interesting subjects–history and prepared squirrel brains.

I understand that you are writing just a post on a board, nevertheless, I believe, a teacher–especially one who teaches literature–should be more diligent to avoiding errors.  What if your students should happen to read your posts?  But this is Arkansaw.

I like them fried in the head, but find the jowls and the tongue more succulent.

AcornHunter

NEA_Hogfan1

November 21, 2013, 07:28:17 am #14 Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 07:49:10 am by NEA_Hogfan1
Quote from: AcornHunter on November 21, 2013, 06:32:30 am
'fan 1,

It's wonderful to read about a teacher having such good rapport with her students about such interesting subjects–history and prepared squirrel brains.

I understand that you are writing just a post on a board, nevertheless, I believe, a teacher–especially one who teaches literature–should be more diligent to avoiding errors.  What if your students should happen to read your posts?  But this is Arkansaw.

I like them fried in the head, but find the jowls and the tongue more succulent.

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at this. I'm usually in a hurry when I'm on here let alone struggle with my iPhone changing words on me and don't bother proof reading. Also, I doubt any of my students are on here let alone care if I make a mistake. After all, this is not exactly a professional setting now is it. Last, if reading my mistakes bother you so much then don't read my posts. I'm sure you never make a mistake typing either do you my dear.

dagnamit

cbhawg03

Quote from: NEA_Hogfan1 on November 21, 2013, 07:28:17 am
I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at this. I'm usually in a hurry when I'm on here let alone struggle with my iPhone changing words on me and don't bother proof reading. Also, I doubt any of my students are on here let alone care if I make a mistake. After all, this is not exactly a professional setting now is it. Last, if reading my mistakes bother you so much then don't read my posts. I'm sure you never make a mistake typing either do you my dear.

+1. Posting on Hogville is more like taking an English examine than anything.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Squirrel and dumplings at my house, when I was a kid, included the heads which were fished out of the pot, then broken open by whacking them with the handle end of a dinner knife to access the brain.  My dad loved them, me.....not so much.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

DeltaBoy

Dad taught me to go for head shots so I had to adjust my shooting to get Grandma the ones she wanted.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Razor63

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 18, 2013, 12:44:13 pm
I skinned the heads out and left them on for my Grandmother she lived to be 100.  She just fryed the head on with the rest of the Squirrel.

Thats how you do em. Crack the head open and the brain comes right out
on the tip of a fork. Have ate em all my life.

AcornHunter

"I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at this. I'm usually in a hurry when I'm on here let alone struggle with my iPhone changing words on me and don't bother proof reading. Also, I doubt any of my students are on here let alone care if I make a mistake. After all, this is not exactly a professional setting now is it. Last, if reading my mistakes bother you so much then don't read my posts. I'm sure you never make a mistake typing either do you my dear."

"+1. Posting on Hogville is more like taking an English examine than anything."

'fan 1 and '03,

It makes me happy that at least one of you got a chuckle.

From the way y'all's posts read, y'all might give more consideration to tongue anatomy.  Mine was in my cheek.

How were the brains?

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

NEA_Hogfan1

Quote from: AcornHunter on November 23, 2013, 06:11:56 am
"I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at this. I'm usually in a hurry when I'm on here let alone struggle with my iPhone changing words on me and don't bother proof reading. Also, I doubt any of my students are on here let alone care if I make a mistake. After all, this is not exactly a professional setting now is it. Last, if reading my mistakes bother you so much then don't read my posts. I'm sure you never make a mistake typing either do you my dear."

"+1. Posting on Hogville is more like taking an English examine than anything."

'fan 1 and '03,

It makes me happy that at least one of you got a chuckle.

From the way y'all's posts read, y'all might give more consideration to tongue anatomy.  Mine was in my cheek.

How were the brains?

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

I don't know since they didn't bring any to the feast. One of them made deer chili which was great. It was a great feast. The kids had fun dressing up and participating in the traditions of medieval flare. By the way, how is my grammar this time? Just joking.  I keeping typing faster than my phone is picking it up.

biggest one

Real simple on the squirrel brains.  We ate them as kids.  You fry the entire head just like the rest of the pieces, then you take the heavy blunt end of your knife and crack the skull open.  Inside you will find the most tasty treat you can imagine.  Is he really a coon a#$ and never had squirrel brains??  Come on!

twistitup

Squirrel heads and gravy - good stuff!

Good song too
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Rzbakfromwaybak

Hunted squirrels & ate them....but never the brains.  Afraid to.  A man down the road ate squirrel year round.  Said the brains were the best part, & he had been eating them ever since he was a kid.  Drove by his house one day in the fall.....he was up in an oak tree in his front yard, sitting on a big limb...eating acorns.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

AcornHunter

Quote from: NEA_Hogfan1 on November 23, 2013, 09:42:56 am
I don't know since they didn't bring any to the feast. One of them made deer chili which was great. It was a great feast. The kids had fun dressing up and participating in the traditions of medieval flare. By the way, how is my grammar this time? Just joking.  I keeping typing faster than my phone is picking it up.

good enough grade on grammar excellent plus grade on the most important thing care about the kids

CPO Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 18, 2013, 12:44:13 pm
This is how I always at them.

BassinHawg

"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

HogBreath

Quote from: 1highhog on November 17, 2013, 01:42:04 am
Are you kidding me? Have any of y'all never had squirrel brains?  Hell man, where are y'all from?  I was born and raised in the South, when we killed squirrel, we had all of him besides his entrails laying on the table.
Sounds like y'all were very gun hole!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

pigture perfect

I always boiled squirrel brains and put them with dumplings. Oh, my goodness.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

kodiakisland

Quote from: BassinHawg on November 25, 2013, 06:16:46 pm
Gun hole? Ha Ha!

I thought maybe it was her way of saying they were a bore.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

LSUFan

#1 Squirrel Tongue
#2 Hog Brain and Scrambled Eggs
#3 Squirrel Brains, bacon, in Poke Salad!
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: kodiakisland on November 26, 2013, 10:57:56 pm
I thought maybe it was her way of saying they were a bore.
A bore hog?
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

DeltaBoy

It is all good but I tryed them 3 times and never liked them , Now the rest of the Squirrel well I can eat 2 whole fryed Fox Squirrels by my self.

OldCoot

Pa ate them growing up. Not smart to eat brains of anything these days. Not advised either. You can get diseases that are the most dangerous of any.

Wayne Watson

We don't rent pigs

DeltaBoy

Fying them in hot oil kills every microbe there. 
Eat and enjoy!

OldCoot

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 18, 2013, 02:50:10 pm
Fying them in hot oil kills every microbe there. 
Eat and enjoy!

Transmissible spongiform encephalopathy can't be cooked out.

AcornHunter

Quote from: Dude on December 02, 2013, 07:39:58 pm
Pa ate them growing up. Not smart to eat brains of anything these days. Not advised either. You can get diseases that are the most dangerous of any.

I need to waste some waist away . . . but I need to keep, at least, my modicum of strength or energy.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Dude on December 18, 2013, 06:52:41 pm

OK don't eat them then.  My Grandma did and lived to be 100 years old.

RazorBassin

Have eaten them quite a few times.  Always just fried them in the deep fryer with the rest of the squirrel.  Also have had squirrel tongue.  Will have to say I haven't eaten them as an adult, but many times as a kid. 

pigture perfect

Is that the sa
Quote from: Dude on December 18, 2013, 06:52:41 pm
Is this the same as Chronic Wasting disease? And is that similar to Mad Cow?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

OldCoot

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 23, 2013, 02:49:02 pm
Is that the sa Is this the same as Chronic Wasting disease? And is that similar to Mad Cow?

It's similar to Creutzfeldt-Jakob / Mad Cow.  They are all types of a real nasty brain encephalitic disorders.  A college bio teacher told me he was more scared of it than a LOT of other things.  I can't give blood because I lived in Europe when it was prominent.   I'm not sure if it is part of the wasting disease.  There's even a form of it that cannibals get. 

It probably wasn't something we knew or were worried about in the day when my grandpa ate the brains out of anything on the farm. Calf, pig, squirrel, etc.  Don't know if didn't exist or just pure population increases caused it.  You just shouldn't eat the brains of anything anymore.

DeltaBoy

Just eat more Squirrel.  :razorback:

LSUFan

Quote from: Dude on December 02, 2013, 07:39:58 pm
Zombies don't think so.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.