Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For the Gus Bus folks.....

Started by DallasHogFan, November 09, 2017, 08:43:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DallasHogFan

Look, you can never take away an appearance in national championship game. Hard as hell to get there. Now, The kick 6 that essentially got them there was insane, but that's football. However, since 2014, Gus has gone:

8-5
7-6
8-5
7-? (I would guess this will be an 8-4/mid level bowl year with Georgia, Bama, ULM left to play)

Since 2013, Auburn has pulled in a top 10 national recruiting class (24/7) every single year.

He has yet to really develop a QB out of all those athletes to run his system correctly.

What makes people think his Arkansas results will be better, much less the same?
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Scott7703

Will you all support him if/when he's named coach?

Rudy Baylor

DallasHogFan

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 09, 2017, 08:58:27 pm

Do you think given his time at Auburn he would have more success at Arkansas?
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

Rudy Baylor

Scott, call Gus and tell him we said no

grayhawg

If Gus leaves Auburn, he will go to another conference.JMHO

Tick Hog

I'm not on the Gus Bus, but would absolutely support the hire and know we could do a lot worse. Gus is a good coach

lakecityhog

Sure, let's not count a 12-2 season! I mean after all we wouldn't want to be fair about it. The "kick6" was actually pretty darned smart on his part, without having a guy back there it could NEVER have happened. And by the way, I think the score was actually tied so he had overtime as a backup.

He has played Clemson in back-to-back seasons as a part of his 4 terrible losses, he plays Georgia EVERY year and the same SEC West schedule that we play. EVERY year HV talks about our "brutal" schedule, but Gus loses a couple and he is a terrible coach, amazing!

I would take Gus today. Then again I would STILL take Butch today so I already know that my thoughts are not at all popular. But, I can live with that just fine.

Marshfieldhog

Be cool to get Gus and Butch Davis as DC

MikePiazza

Like the previous poster just said, those 8-5 finishes at Auburn are like going 9-4 or 10-3 here. Tough non-con, playing UGA every year, it's not easy going 8-5 on the Plains competing with the juggernaut in-state.

Inherited a team that went 3-9 and won 12 with it. Bielema inherited a team that went 4-8 and won 3 with it. There you go.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

The Hawg Marshal

If we hire him, he has to pay for his own chewing gum.

clutch

Quote from: MikePiazza on November 09, 2017, 10:07:26 pm
Like the previous poster just said, those 8-5 finishes at Auburn are like going 9-4 or 10-3 here. Tough non-con, playing UGA every year, it's not easy going 8-5 on the Plains competing with the juggernaut in-state.

Inherited a team that went 3-9 and won 12 with it. Bielema inherited a team that went 4-8 and won 3 with it. There you go.

That team only went 3-9 because of the switch in playing styles that Chizik was trying to implement. When they returned to Gus's system, it was what that team was built for, so it was an easy transition. So I don't think his and Bielema's situation were exactly the same when they took their positions. Still going 12-0 was a great year, even with the kick 6 and the absolute gift on the hail mary at Georgia. However, that team was closer to a 10 win team talent wise than they were to a 3 win team.

DallasHogFan

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 09, 2017, 10:03:08 pm
Sure, let's not count a 12-2 season! I mean after all we wouldn't want to be fair about it. The "kick6" was actually pretty darned smart on his part, without having a guy back there it could NEVER have happened. And by the way, I think the score was actually tied so he had overtime as a backup.

He has played Clemson in back-to-back seasons as a part of his 4 terrible losses, he plays Georgia EVERY year and the same SEC West schedule that we play. EVERY year HV talks about our "brutal" schedule, but Gus loses a couple and he is a terrible coach, amazing!

I would take Gus today. Then again I would STILL take Butch today so I already know that my thoughts are not at all popular. But, I can live with that just fine.

I recognized the 12 win season. That was 5 years ago. He hasn't sniffed it since. Maybe let's look at Larry Coker, he actually WON a championship back in 2000. Do you agree that Auburn will consistently have MUCH better recruiting classes than we get year in and out at Arkansas? It's not a "poor ole Arkansas" thing, it's a geographical thing. If that subtract from the win total, then maybe it neutralzes the "playing Georgia" every year. In the last 4 years, Gus is 16-14 in the SEC. With Bama and Georgia left to play, I'd bet money he ends up at 16-16. I guess you can hire him based on the 2013 season and hope, but there hasn't been anything to write home about since.

rhog1

Quote from: DallasHogFan on November 10, 2017, 09:21:42 am
I recognized the 12 win season. That was 5 years ago. He hasn't sniffed it since. Maybe let's look at Larry Coker, he actually WON a championship back in 2000. Do you agree that Auburn will consistently have MUCH better recruiting classes than we get year in and out at Arkansas? It's not a "poor ole Arkansas" thing, it's a geographical thing. If that subtract from the win total, then maybe it neutralzes the "playing Georgia" every year. In the last 4 years, Gus is 16-14 in the SEC. With Bama and Georgia left to play, I'd bet money he ends up at 16-16. I guess you can hire him based on the 2013 season and hope, but there hasn't been anything to write home about since.
The Malzahn cheerleaders will never admit he is an average to bad coach. He has been mediocre at Auburn, he would be terrible here.

ipigsooie

I actually hope he wins this weekend and then it becomes pointless. No way he gets fired if he wins one of those 2 big games.

(notOM)Rebel123

I recognized the 12 win season. That was 5 years ago. He hasn't sniffed it since. Maybe let's look at Larry Coker, he actually WON a championship back in 2000.
Do you agree that Auburn will consistently have MUCH better recruiting classes than we get year in and out at Arkansas? It's not a "poor ole Arkansas" thing, it's a geographical thing. If that subtract from the win total, then maybe it neutralzes the "playing Georgia" every year. In the last 4 years, Gus is 16-14 in the SEC. With Bama and Georgia left to play, I'd bet money he ends up at 16-16. I guess you can hire him based on the 2013 season and hope, but there hasn't been anything to write home about since.

Hold it...you say Gus's 12 win season was 5 yeas ago, but then throw out Larry Coker who won the title in 2000? From 2011-2015, Coker was 26-32 at UT- San Antonio.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

DallasHogFan

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 10, 2017, 11:46:34 am
Hold it...you say Gus's 12 win season was 5 yeas ago, but then throw out Larry Coker who won the title in 2000? From 2011-2015, Coker was 26-32 at UT- San Antonio.

I think you are proving my point. The Larry Coker comment was in sarcasm. I don't think either would be a good fit as they both have proven to have lack luster recent results.

monty hawg

I live in Montgomery.  A lot of Auburn fans have hopes that he will leave.  Lot of rumors that it will be Arkansas, hope not.  If he doesn't beat Georgia and Alabama, he may not be kept.  It depends on how soon they replace their AD who is worse that Long.

clutch

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 10, 2017, 11:46:34 am

Look up. That's his post, going right over your head.

Hawginj

Quote from: rhog1 on November 10, 2017, 11:06:17 am
The Malzahn cheerleaders will never admit he is an average to bad coach. He has been mediocre at Auburn, he would be terrible here.
preach it!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: clutch on November 10, 2017, 01:06:59 pm
Look up. That's his post, going right over your head.

Followed by mine going over yours.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: DallasHogFan on November 10, 2017, 11:49:46 am
I think you are proving my point. The Larry Coker comment was in sarcasm. I don't think either would be a good fit as they both have proven to have lack luster recent results.

Exactly.

Maddhog

Nothing about GM excites me but I would reluctantly accept it.   
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

riccoar

Quote from: rhog1 on November 10, 2017, 11:06:17 am
average, bad, and mediocre coaches don't make it to the NC game once, let alone twice.  If given the choice between bringing Coke back or getting Gus, I'm going Coke.  But no way you can classify the guy with either of those 3 tags.

colbs

Quote from: riccoar on November 10, 2017, 01:29:44 pm
average, bad, and mediocre coaches don't make it to the NC game once, let alone twice.  If given the choice between bringing Coke back or getting Gus, I'm going Coke.  But no way you can classify the guy with either of those 3 tags.
Why are Chizik, Miles, and Coker not considered good coaches?

clutch

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 10, 2017, 01:14:50 pm
Followed by mine going over yours.

So if you are proving his point for him, you are arguing both for and against Gus at the same time.

jackflash

no not Gus I do look for to find work out of the SEC

riccoar

Quote from: colbs on November 10, 2017, 01:43:54 pm
Why are Chizik, Miles, and Coker not considered good coaches?
I would say all 3 are good coaches.  Miles and Coker are probably outside the age range if you are wanting long term commitment.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: clutch on November 10, 2017, 01:43:58 pm
So if you are proving his point for him, you are arguing both for and against Gus at the same time.

ok. Whatever you say....

rhog1

Quote from: riccoar on November 10, 2017, 01:29:44 pm
Only one year did he make the NC as a head coach and it was his first at Auburn. Bad coaches have average results with top talent year in and year out that makes him a Bad coach. Without a generational talent transfer in Cam Newton of which Gus had next to nothing to do with developing he would have already been fired at Auburn.

NoogaHog

That is a silly question. Me as a lifelong fan, I have nothing invested in this program other than my fanhood. Some will now dismiss me offhand because I don't have season tickets, even though I live halfway across the country.

That being said, I will support who ever the coach is. I will hope that who ever the coach is will be successful, even if that is CBB next year. Personally, I don't think CBB should be the coach next year, but I have nothing to do with that decision.

I hope the Hogs throttle LSU tomorrow and do the same to MSU and Mizzou and who ever the bowl opponent will be. But I am certainly not going to root for the Hogs to lose any games just so the coach gets fired.

I certainly have my favorites as to who I think the next coach should be, and Gus is way down on that list. I will hope for my favorites right up until the press conference naming the new coach. But once a coach has been named, and he puts on that hat and calls the Hogs, I will be pulling for them to do well*, until they don't. Then we can talk about who the NEXT next coach will be.

*OFFER NOT VALID FOR ART BRILES
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

The Hawg Marshal

Yeah I can't get excited about a Gus hire. But we may not have a choice.

Scott7703

Quote from: DallasHogFan on November 09, 2017, 09:20:10 pm
Do you think given his time at Auburn he would have more success at Arkansas?

I think he can have as much success here as Nutt or Petrino.

Hawginj

Maddhog

Quote from: Scott7703 on November 10, 2017, 04:32:33 pm

I think he can have as much success here as Nutt or Petrino.

I guess I had hoped that we would set the bar higher this time. 
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Hawginj

Quote from: Maddhog on November 10, 2017, 07:05:43 pm
Excatly  but looks like most people have mediocre outlook and tastes.

DeltaBoy

The Gus Bus beat those Dawgs today!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tusks

Quote from: Maddhog on November 10, 2017, 07:05:43 pm

If someone can duplicate BP's success then the program will be doing great.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hawginj

Quote from: tusked on November 11, 2017, 08:41:23 pm
If someone can duplicate BP's success then the program will be doing great.
Duplicate? Why don't we shoot a little higher!

IMABIELEMA

He'll only coach for us if Auburn wants him gone.  Would be incredibly dumb to leave a top program like Auburn for a rebuild job.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on November 11, 2017, 09:09:35 pm
He'll only coach for us if Auburn wants him gone.  Would be incredibly dumb to leave a top program like Auburn for a rebuild job.

Except he knows he will get 5 years here. If he has a couple back to back 7 win seasons at Auburn he will be gone. His grace period is gone there.

GuvHog

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 11, 2017, 09:41:03 pm
Except he knows he will get 5 years here. If he has a couple back to back 7 win seasons at Auburn he will be gone. His grace period is gone there.

Not after today. Auburn will lock him up.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Ironhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on November 11, 2017, 10:36:19 pm
Not after today. Auburn will lock him up.

If he could win the Iron Bowl after beating UGA, Auburn will just back up a dump truck full of money to his front door.

GuvHog

Quote from: Ironhawg on November 11, 2017, 10:46:12 pm
If he could win the Iron Bowl after beating UGA, Auburn will just back up a dump truck full of money to his front door.

Exactly. Since the Iron Bowl just happens to be played in Auburn this year, his chances of winning are high.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: GuvHog on November 11, 2017, 10:51:57 pm
Exactly. Since the Iron Bowl just happens to be played in Auburn this year, his chances of winning are high.

Hey Guv.....

If Gus WANTS the job, it is his.

PRJ

duckman

Tusks

Can hog fans trade JL to Auburn for GM?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

colbs

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 11, 2017, 11:01:13 pm
Hey Guv.....

If Gus WANTS the job, it is his.

PRJ
No doubt about that.  It will just depends if he wants to leave Auburn because he isn't getting fired now.  New AD could be big too.