Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CALL ME A HUGGER if you want...

Started by hogtheball, February 12, 2006, 01:04:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogtheball

When we lose a B-ball game, the message boards are hopping with fire Heath, change the starting lineups, Hire Anderson, Bring back Nolan and Sutton, and even worse when it comes to players.  As someone who is guilty of negativity during these times, I feel compelled to voice positives when they appear as well.

Did you watch the Auburn game?  I saw some positive things during that game that I haven't seen around this team ever before.  Granted Auburn isn't a great team, but we all know that there isn't a terrible team in the SEC.  Let's examine the positives and HOPE a little.

First, Brewer looks like he's becoming the team leader we all know he should be.  He took McCurdy under his wind during a rough week, and took full responsibility for the LSU loss (the true sign of a leader).  Then, during the game he showed a couple of things we haven't seen before:  Brewer had 6 assists during the game!!!  He made some great passes and got a lot of players involved in the offense that we need to get involved.  He looked like an NBA point guard at times.  On at least two occassions, he passed up open looks to get better shots for a team-mate.  Second, he played intense defense for the entire game.  It's the best game he's had at Arkansas.

McCurdy, DJ, and Ferguson all got decent minutes and seemed to take a lot of pressure off each other.  Did you guys notice the high fives that McCurdy and DJ were giving each other coming in and out of the game and during timeouts.  They were genuinely supportive of each other and it showed in their play.  They both made mistakes, but did some good things as well.  And DJ hit a couple of great shots and made Auburn respect him on D (just like a PG should do).

Also, it looked like Townes and Heath have a better attitude about each other.  And Townes played hard at both ends of the court.  Hunter gave the Hogs some good minutes and showed some of the things the players see him do in practice.   Steven Hill had 4 rebounds in 20 minutes in addition to 4 points and 3 blocks (I could have sworn he had 5).  He's getting his timing down on the boards.

We all have to admit that this team is just two or three points here and there from being undefeated in the SEC, even with all our problems.  They don't have to get much better to be the best in the SEC.  I, for one, am excited about the possibilities.  Brewer being less selfish with the ball, Hill learning how to rebound, Townes playing hard like he wants to win, McCurdy and DJ supporting each other and showing good things on the court...  This seaons isn't over - and neither is my support for this team and this coach.  Not yet.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

TDHog

I agree there were some positves to take away from last night, I will keep hope alive.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

NATEHOGG216

Sorry you told me to do it.  I agree.  We do have some positives
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

hogtheball

Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

CiriusPorker

brewer will lead this team to great things next year...with or without stan.

petro pig

I'm glad we won.  Congrats to the kids, but it's still uglyyyyy basketball win or lose.  Heath has certainly brought a "unique" style with him.

NATEHOGG216

Brewer less selfish?  Are we watching the same team.  OK maybe sometimes he does some dumb things with the ball in his hands when it could be passed up.  But I for one want him to be more assertive, not necessarily less selfish

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: petro pig on February 12, 2006, 01:59:26 pm
I'm glad we won.  Congrats to the kids, but it's still uglyyyyy basketball win or lose.

Ditto.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

three

I'm sorry, but I just can't find positives from a game that involved being outrebounded by a much smaller team (33-32), with only 4 blocked shots, and 16 turnovers.  If we had played anyone else in this league that game would have been a loss, Auburn just had an off night.  How many point blank shots did that team miss last night?  Most nights, those shots fall, and most nights, that game's a loss. 

You're right about Brewer.  He did show great leadership off the court all week long, and he showed great composure in the days following another heartbreaking loss, as did Modica.  Both guys have adopted the "We'll carry our team to the postseason" attitude, and that's  what this team needs.  And I loved Ronnie's second half game.  Here comes more negative.  He's got to bring that game for a full 40 minutes, not 20.  Until he does so, this team will continue to beat the Auburns, South Carolinas and Vanderbilts at home, while losing to most everyone else.  I'd like to be positive, but I can't find a reason, too.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

hogtheball

Had they shot 50% from the field, we still win by 8. 

three

Quote from: hogtheball on February 12, 2006, 04:47:40 pm
Fine, then, are you comfortable beating the worst team in the league by 8 when you're at home?  I'm not saying the game was DIScouraging, I just didn't find it ENcouraging.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.

pfrg999

Quote from: three on February 12, 2006, 05:03:07 pm
Fine, then, are you comfortable beating the worst team in the league by 8 when you're at home?  I'm not saying the game was DIScouraging, I just didn't find it ENcouraging.

We didn't win by 8 we won by more.... alot more ...if... then... means nothing...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Adam Stokes

I'm personally happy whenever we when by 20, maybe it's just me.

Razorback88

Quote from: ajs15razorman on February 12, 2006, 05:26:18 pm
I'm personally happy whenever we when by 20, maybe it's just me.
Same here.  I'm not a "a win is a win" kinda guy(the Texas St. game was pitiful), but a 20 pt. win is a 20 pt. win no matter how bad you play. 

PigMan

At times three it is okay to just give our guys a pat on the back without putting the proviso on the end.  No one will fault you if occasionally you just say, "Hey great job guys."

three

Quote from: PigMan on February 12, 2006, 06:19:58 pm

At times three it is okay to just give our guys a pat on the back without putting the proviso on the end.  No one will fault you if occasionally you just say, "Hey great job guys."
Don't get me wrong, I thought they played a very, very good second half.  I thought Ronnie played the most complete game I've seen him play in a very long time.  He was on the glass, in the passing lanes, he was stroking it, yes, stroking it from beyond the arc, and he was creating for his teammates.  I thought Dontell seemed much more composed in the second half, and really played well.  I thought the team played a very good second half.  My worry is that people will be more distraught, and possibly nastier to the players as a result, if they come out and perform poorly against Ole Miss due to the fact that they've come off a win at home.  I know these kids well enough to know they can sometimes take good pub and run with it, getting overconfident.  It is my belief they play better when they feel they have something to prove, especially Ronnie and Jonathon.  I certainly don't mean to seem pesimistic, just trying to be realistic.

hogtheball

so you were just being negative for the players sake? I had you wrong. I apologize.