Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bledsoe back on defense, for a while..

Started by Boarcephus, February 12, 2006, 08:25:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Found this article by Bob Holt in the demozette this morning.  Appears Nutt, Herring, and Rocker are fed up with Fred and this is his last go around based on their comments.  I clipped some of the article and just supplied the quotes.   Enjoy..

Bledsoe back on defense
It's time for Bledsoe, who is back at defensive tackle after switching to offense for the final five of the 2005 season, to "grow up or grow out" of the program, Arkansas defensive coordinator Reggie Herring said.

"Fred needs to really truly grow up and have very good listening skills here for the next few weeks... and do everything right," Nutt said. "We'll know here in the next six weeks if he really wants to be a Razorback."  Nutt said he, Herring and defensive line coach Tracy Rocker are set to "make or break" Bledsoe.

"He has the ability to be one of the most dominating tackles in the [SEC]," Nutt said. "But he's got to be totally committed for that to happen."

"Fred has all the talent in the world — talent has never been a question with him," Nutt said. "But he does have a cut-off switch whenever there's a little bit of strain involved, whether it be in the weight room, the study hall or the field.  We're going to try and teach him that he needs to push through that."

Herring said Bledsoe is getting "his last chance to do something. He's running out of eligibility and we're all running out of the same old slogan —'Boy, he sure is pretty and looks good.' So what?
   "We've supplied him with everything we can. Now it's his job to get it done."
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

JIHawg

This is something wonderful that Herring brings, a coaching toughness.  It's refreshing.

An old hog fanatic

As the old saying goes, "some will, some won't, so what?  NEXT!"  Fred seems to be one of those who still wants to think and act like an immature 15 year-old.  I heard that the coaches were ready to throw him off the team during the season last year but HDN overruled them and put him on offense.  Bledsoe has been given a lot more chances than most coaching staffs would have blessed him with.  I personally don't think he has it in him (based on his past performances) to do what it takes to be a winner but I hope I'm wrong.  One thing I do know...the day will come when he will wish to heaven he HAD done the hard things, the right things, the things that could have taken him to the top...but then it will be too late.  It just takes some people longer to grow up and accept responsibility than others.  Some NEVER accept it.  Looks like Bledsoe may be one of those.  Too bad.  There are a lot of kids who would LOVE to have his natural talent and would do something with it.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

JackJohnson

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 12, 2006, 08:25:09 am
Found this article by Bob Holt in the demozette this morning.  Appears Nutt, Herring, and Rocker are fed up with Fred and this is his last go around based on their comments.  I clipped some of the article and just supplied the quotes.   Enjoy..

Bledsoe back on defense
It’s time for Bledsoe, who is back at defensive tackle after switching to offense for the final five of the 2005 season, to “grow up or grow out” of the program, Arkansas defensive coordinator Reggie Herring said.

“Fred needs to really truly grow up and have very good listening skills here for the next few weeks... and do everything right,” Nutt said. “We’ll know here in the next six weeks if he really wants to be a Razorback.”  Nutt said he, Herring and defensive line coach Tracy Rocker are set to “make or break” Bledsoe.

“He has the ability to be one of the most dominating tackles in the [SEC],” Nutt said. “But he’s got to be totally committed for that to happen.”

“Fred has all the talent in the world — talent has never been a question with him,” Nutt said. “But he does have a cut-off switch whenever there’s a little bit of strain involved, whether it be in the weight room, the study hall or the field.  We’re going to try and teach him that he needs to push through that.”

Herring said Bledsoe is getting “his last chance to do something. He’s running out of eligibility and we’re all running out of the same old slogan —‘Boy, he sure is pretty and looks good.’ So what?
   “We’ve supplied him with everything we can. Now it’s his job to get it done.”

another case of burning a redshirt that kills the player- ala Gary Hobbs and Gary Brashears.  Sometimes theses kids just mentally aren't ready, and we damn sure don't seem to care to throw them out there for a few plays for the ENTIRE season instead of putting them on the shelf for a year.

here's an idea- REDSHIRT BLEDSOE THIS YEAR!  LET HIM GET IN SHAPE (LIKE HE WOULD'VE DURING A REDSHIRT YEAR HIS FIRST YEAR) AND GET HIS darn STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 12, 2006, 09:03:21 am
Quote from: Boarcephus on February 12, 2006, 08:25:09 am
Found this article by Bob Holt in the demozette this morning.  Appears Nutt, Herring, and Rocker are fed up with Fred and this is his last go around based on their comments.  I clipped some of the article and just supplied the quotes.   Enjoy..

Bledsoe back on defense
It’s time for Bledsoe, who is back at defensive tackle after switching to offense for the final five of the 2005 season, to “grow up or grow out” of the program, Arkansas defensive coordinator Reggie Herring said.

“Fred needs to really truly grow up and have very good listening skills here for the next few weeks... and do everything right,” Nutt said. “We’ll know here in the next six weeks if he really wants to be a Razorback.”  Nutt said he, Herring and defensive line coach Tracy Rocker are set to “make or break” Bledsoe.

“He has the ability to be one of the most dominating tackles in the [SEC],” Nutt said. “But he’s got to be totally committed for that to happen.”

“Fred has all the talent in the world — talent has never been a question with him,” Nutt said. “But he does have a cut-off switch whenever there’s a little bit of strain involved, whether it be in the weight room, the study hall or the field.  We’re going to try and teach him that he needs to push through that.”

Herring said Bledsoe is getting “his last chance to do something. He’s running out of eligibility and we’re all running out of the same old slogan —‘Boy, he sure is pretty and looks good.’ So what?
   “We’ve supplied him with everything we can. Now it’s his job to get it done.”

another case of burning a redshirt that kills the player- ala Gary Hobbs and Gary Brashears.  Sometimes theses kids just mentally aren't ready, and we damn sure don't seem to care to throw them out there for a few plays for the ENTIRE season instead of putting them on the shelf for a year.

here's an idea- REDSHIRT BLEDSOE THIS YEAR!  LET HIM GET IN SHAPE (LIKE HE WOULD'VE DURING A REDSHIRT YEAR HIS FIRST YEAR) AND GET HIS Shiite STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The truth is, Bledsoe is to the point of either getting it done or getting out.  It would seem that Herring knows whether or not a redshirt year would make a difference and has decided it would not.  There are many players who have the physical stats in high school who just can't make it on the next level.  The mental maturity it takes to play on a D-1 football team is just too much of a stretch for some.  At this point a redshirt for Bledsoe won't change his work ethic and his deciding to make good decisions off the field.  I like Herrings attitude...get good or get gone.  It is a throwback to Bear Bryant and other coaching greats.  While things have changed a bunch in coaching philosphy the one thing that can never change is a players desire to use his God given talent...or to just throw it away.  Obviously Fred is on his last chance at Fayetteville.

Boarcephus

Fred will wind up on the streets of LR or pulling a job like Shabazz.  Shame, all that talent and not an ounce of "want to".   I still remember that circus of a signing  day he had.   Should have know then he was flaky as hell.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 12, 2006, 09:41:09 am
Fred will wind up on the streets of LR or pulling a job like Shabazz.  Shame, all that talent and not an ounce of "want to".   I still remember that circus of a signing  day he had.   Should have know then he was flaky as hell.

Yep, me too.  I also remember (with much regret) how I slobbered all over the place when he did it and cheered like a fanatic! 

hogman64

AANNNNNDDDDDDDDD   THEEEE   TSHIRTTTTTT  ISSSSSSS........  ARKANSASSSSSSSSSSS

and the difference that decision made is zero....recruiting is fun to follow , but I would like to see the days of the fake outs on hats and tshirts banned.....

Boarcephus

Quote from: mid-georgia-hogfan on February 12, 2006, 09:56:37 am
Yep, me too.  I also remember (with much regret) how I slobbered all over the place when he did it and cheered like a fanatic! 

Know what you mean.  Hate that part about me but I am getting better.   

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 12, 2006, 10:11:20 am
Quote from: mid-georgia-hogfan on February 12, 2006, 09:56:37 am

Know what you mean.  Hate that part about me but I am getting better.  

One of my New Years resolutions was to do better in that area.  Almost made it...but the Mustain and Williams announcements sent me right back into re-hab.

ENHOG

I sure hope the kid can get it together!  We really need all the help we can get.
\\\"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.\\\"

Boarcephus

Quote from: mid-georgia-hogfan on February 12, 2006, 10:15:08 am
One of my New Years resolutions was to do better in that area.  Almost made it...but the Mustain and Williams announcements sent me right back into re-hab.

This recruiting year never really bothered me because I was just holding out hope that a bad, bad recruiting year would lead to Nutt's departure.   Then they screwed around and hired Gus and I'm back on board.  Damn.  ;)