Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I need some knowledge here!!!!

Started by lunchbox72703, February 12, 2006, 05:19:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lunchbox72703

I don't pretend to be a basketball scholar.  Football is my sport.  Can any one explain to me why our defense scheme in basketball allows for Steven Hill to be out around the three point arc defending someone, and not under or around the basket poising for the block or rebound?

Not trying to start an argument here, just trying to educate myself.

Tater Salad

I'm still trying to figure out why Hill is in the backcourt while we're shooting freethrows

Brutalis

Hill is slow, his transition is obviously slow as well to the basket. Maybe you're seeing him to high screens for the guards? I'm not sure. But if he keeps up the improvement, and learns some offense he will be real popular amoung NBA scouts considering the NBA has a loooot of crappy big men and are in desperate need.
God, please let the my Hogs be just half as good as my Spurs. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh meeennnnnnnnnnn

hogfan98

on defense, if your man is setting a screen, you generally want to hedge.  what that means is to go above the screen that your man is setting to create some sort of diversion and slow the guy down who is being screened for.  a lot of times, it's stephens man that is setting screens for the point at the top of the key to start the offense, which is why you always see stephen up there.  he generally does a good job of doing hedging.  however, there was one time last night were he came out too high and got beat when his man rolled the pick, meaning cut to the basket after setting the screen.  but this is not all stephens fault.  there should have been someone on helping in that case, and there wasn't.  the hedge is something that is taught since junior high.  watch other teams, most of their players will do it also.  the only difference is they don't look as clumsy doing it like stephen does.  it's purpose is to keep guys from coming off of screens and driving straight to the basket or pulling up and shooting.  the other night against lsu was a perfect example of why you hedge.  mitchell came of a screen set by i think charles' man at the top of the key.  instead of hedging, charles laid back at about the free throw line.  mitchell read him and pulled up.  the rest is history.  sorry if it seems like i dumbed it down for you.  just trying to make it easy to understand.

baumsquad

Quote from: lunchbox72703 on February 12, 2006, 05:19:10 am
I don't pretend to be a basketball scholar.  Football is my sport.  Can any one explain to me why our defense scheme in basketball allows for Steven Hill to be out around the three point arc defending someone, and not under or around the basket poising for the block or rebound?

Not trying to start an argument here, just trying to educate myself.
I don't think that is the actual plan, but the other team whoever he is guarding is pulling him out on the floor!
JUST WIN BABY!!

lunchbox72703

Quote from: hogfan98 on February 12, 2006, 09:00:41 am
on defense, if your man is setting a screen, you generally want to hedge.  what that means is to go above the screen that your man is setting to create some sort of diversion and slow the guy down who is being screened for.  a lot of times, it's stephens man that is setting screens for the point at the top of the key to start the offense, which is why you always see stephen up there.  he generally does a good job of doing hedging.  however, there was one time last night were he came out too high and got beat when his man rolled the pick, meaning cut to the basket after setting the screen.  but this is not all stephens fault.  there should have been someone on helping in that case, and there wasn't.  the hedge is something that is taught since junior high.  watch other teams, most of their players will do it also.  the only difference is they don't look as clumsy doing it like stephen does.  it's purpose is to keep guys from coming off of screens and driving straight to the basket or pulling up and shooting.  the other night against lsu was a perfect example of why you hedge.  mitchell came of a screen set by i think charles' man at the top of the key.  instead of hedging, charles laid back at about the free throw line.  mitchell read him and pulled up.  the rest is history.  sorry if it seems like i dumbed it down for you.  just trying to make it easy to understand.

nope, it was dumbed down to perfection for me!!!   Thanks.  Applaud for you!

Porkahontas

I'm having a hard enough time figuring out why Darian Townes and Steven Hill average so few rebounds per game at their size.

Perplexing as hell.

hogfan98

Quote from: Porkahontas on February 12, 2006, 12:00:40 pm
I'm having a hard enough time figuring out why Darian Townes and Steven Hill average so few rebounds per game at their size.

Perplexing as hell.

while being tall helps, it's not everything with rebounding.  a lot of it is instinct.  some people can just see the shot and know which direction its going off too.  it also doesn't hurt being to jump really high, which stephen and darian can't do.  so someone who's vertical is several inches higher than their's will even out them being several inches shorter.  not making excuses for them though.

hogtheball

Steven can't jump very high.  Somebody should tell all the inside players who can't get a shot over him.  That guys gets his hands up super high - whether he's jumping or 9 ft. tall doesn't really matter.   His ability to block shots so well means his timing and coordination are exceptional, so there is another problem on rebounding.

First, Hill focuses on blocking shots so much that he is often not ready for a rebound.  He is coming down from block attempt while other players are jumping.  Second, Hill blocks out his man too well.  You'll often see a shot coming off the board and Hill is 8 ft. away from the hoop blocking out his man.  When you're 7 ft. tall, blocking out just isn't that important.  Get the ball.   

That being said, he's getting better at everything all the time.  I though he played real well against Auburn and had a few boards he wouldn't have gotten a few weeks ago.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

HouTxRzbck

Hill's the best ball handler and three point shooter we have. ;)
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

Whataboar™

Quote from: HouTxRzbck on February 12, 2006, 02:09:25 pm
Hill's the best ball handler and three point shooter we have. ;)
Have always wondered why we don't get it to him more often when facing back court pressure.  ;) :)
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

CiriusPorker

wow!  this is a great thread...i am realyl inept at understanding basketball philosophy...and some of these things explaining the 'hedging' was really interesting..thanks!