Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas picked #34 in CollegeFootballNews.com's 2006 Pre-preseason Rankings

Started by GrizzledHogFan, February 11, 2006, 10:08:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzledHogFan

Here's what they had to say:

34. Arkansas
2005 Record: 4-7
Why to get excited: The record might have been ugly, but the team played well over the second half of the season and has many of the key parts returning, especially at running back. Darren McFadden and Felix Jones might be the nation's best 1-2 rushing punch as the year wears on, while the defense has the potential to be a rock with the return of LB Sam Olajabutu. The line should be a killer, while the return game will be among the SEC's best.
Why to be grouchy: Will hotshot recruit Mitch Mustain be ready to take over at quarterback? With no production to speak of from the passing game, if there isn't anyone ready to lead the offense by the time the UL Monroe game comes around, it could be an ugly start to the season with USC, at Vanderbilt, Alabama, and at Auburn ahead.
The number one thing to work on is: Improving the passing game is priority one. That goes hand in hand with being better on third downs, which the Hogs had problems with converting just over 36%. Considering how amazing the ground game was, the number should've been closer to the low 40s.
Biggest offensive loss: C Kyle Roper
Biggest defensive loss: SS Vickiel Vaughn

Here's a link to the beginning of the list:  http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5278702
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

HawgLover08

I'm pretty happy with that. I think we'll surprise a lot of people next year.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Man, I hate to say it but I am surprised they are giving us props like that.  Hope we can live up to (and exceed) the hype.  Go Hogs!

razorbackfan4life

So if those rankings are true, we will be opening our season against #3 USC. WOW! what a starting game, lol.

berryhog

Quote from: gmb_79 on February 11, 2006, 10:08:46 pm

34. Arkansas
Why to get excited: The record might have been ugly, but the team played well over the second half of the season and has many of the key parts returning, especially at running back. Darren McFadden and Felix Jones might be the nation’s best 1-2 rushing punch as the year wears on, while the defense has the potential to be a rock with the return of LB Sam Olajabutu. The line should be a killer, while the return game will be among the SEC’s best.
Why to be grouchy: Will hotshot recruit Mitch Mustain be ready to take over at quarterback? With no production to speak of from the passing game, if there isn’t anyone ready to lead the offense by the time the UL Monroe game comes around, it could be an ugly start to the season with USC, at Vanderbilt, Alabama, and at Auburn ahead.
The number one thing to work on is: Improving the passing game is priority one. That goes hand in hand with being better on third downs, which the Hogs had problems with converting just over 36%. Considering how amazing the ground game was, the number should’ve been closer to the low 40s.

Here's a link to the beginning of the list:  http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/5278702

Good find.  I am also surprised at the respect they are showing us, especially after last year.  That being said, looking at those first five games we could realistically be 4-1 depending on how quickly our offense develops.

Foots

I'm not gonna get my hopes up like I did last year. Always expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed.

Hog_from_Tulsa

I don't know about anyone else.....but I'd love 1-4 if the win is against USC....especially with that CLASSLESS jerk Pete going for it on 4th down while he's up by 40......otherwise...... 3-2 would be fine.....the Vandy fiasco won't happen this time......and Tuberville should go back to being the choking dog he really is.....
"We can't get no reform when we're the incumbent" - Pappy O'Daniel

CiriusPorker

man, i can't believe they didn't rank us no. 1.  Don't they know what Gus can do? 

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

94 Hawg

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

NCGatorBait

taintlint

Speaking of Football......went to Austin last weekend. Decided to raise a little hell on 6th street and the home of the big bad Longhorns.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jabohog

Quote from: Hog_from_Tulsa on February 11, 2006, 10:46:28 pm
I don't know about anyone else.....but I'd love 1-4 if the win is against USC....especially with that CLASSLESS jerk Pete going for it on 4th down while he's up by 40......otherwise...... 3-2 would be fine.....the Vandy fiasco won't happen this time......and Tuberville should go back to being the choking dog he really is.....
CFN has always given us some love.
Tuberville has some assistants doing the coaching that can recruit and coach so don't expect Auburn to be anything less than top of the line for several years to come.

taintlint

Quote from: jabohog on February 11, 2006, 11:30:33 pm
Quote from: Hog_from_Tulsa on February 11, 2006, 10:46:28 pm
CFN has always given us some love.
Tuberville has some assistants doing the coaching that can recruit and coach so don't expect Auburn to be anything less than top of the line for several years to come.

CFN kinda has a Brokeback thing going for us. I'm not sure why. They always seem to lean towards a positive UA outlook.

GrizzledHogFan

Here's how they ranked all of the teams in the SEC:

2.  Florida
4.  LSU
6.  Auburn
9.  Tennessee
20. Alabama
21. Georgia
34. Arkansas
35. South Carolina
72. Vanderbilt
78. Kentucky
82. Mississippi St.
84. Ole Miss

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: 94 Hawg on February 11, 2006, 11:13:49 pm
we play #'s 3, 4, 6, 9 & 20! 

At least we've got the Mississippi teams to make us look good, if all else fails.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: NCGatorBait on February 11, 2006, 11:23:07 pm
WOW..UF is definitely over rated in that poll!

Maybe.  I can definitely see Florida being a top 5, or at the very least, a top 10 team this year.

Smithian

GrizzledHogFan

HognotinMemphis

Great. 34th in the country. Hello 7-5 and 4-4 in SEC and hello Independence Bowl and a date with the Golden Gophers again.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 12, 2006, 10:21:13 am
Great. 34th in the country. Hello 7-5 and 4-4 in SEC and hello Independence Bowl and a date with the Golden Gophers again.

Maybe we'll actually beat them this time around.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: gmb_79 on February 12, 2006, 10:22:36 am

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

JackJohnson

Quote from: berryhog on February 11, 2006, 10:38:52 pm
Quote from: gmb_79 on February 11, 2006, 10:08:46 pm

34. Arkansas
Why to get excited: The record might have been ugly, but the team played well over the second half of the season and has many of the key parts returning, especially at running back. Darren McFadden and Felix Jones might be the nation’s best 1-2 rushing punch as the year wears on, while the defense has the potential to be a rock with the return of LB Sam Olajabutu. The line should be a killer, while the return game will be among the SEC’s best.
Why to be grouchy: Will hotshot recruit Mitch Mustain be ready to take over at quarterback? With no production to speak of from the passing game, if there isn’t anyone ready to lead the offense by the time the UL Monroe game comes around, it could be an ugly start to the season with USC, at Vanderbilt, Alabama, and at Auburn ahead.
The number one thing to work on is: Improving the passing game is priority one. That goes hand in hand with being better on third downs, which the Hogs had problems with converting just over 36%. Considering how amazing the ground game was, the number should’ve been closer to the low 40s.

Good find.  I am also surprised at the respect they are showing us, especially after last year.  That being said, looking at those first five games we could realistically be 4-1 depending on how quickly our offense develops.

CFN just tells it like it is. they have picked our record EXACTLY as we have finished 3 of the last four years!!  Their secret- they pick based on nutts tendencies- beat the teams we are supposed to, lose to those we are not.  Which is exactly what we have done during that time.  It is simple really- if we are overmatched talent wise, we will lose a HDN can't outcoach anyone.  If we have more talent, you take coaching out of it and we win.  Go back and look at their projections of us and how we did.  They are right on the mark and are more of a gospel when it comes to how we will finish than the ark "media" ever dreamed of being...

jrw11475

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jrw11475 on February 12, 2006, 11:19:11 am
Where does their hard-on for Tennessee come from?

Probably has something to do with that NC they won a few years ago.

pfrg999

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 12, 2006, 11:22:54 am
Quote from: jrw11475 on February 12, 2006, 11:19:11 am
Where does their hard-on for Tennessee come from?

Could be But there is that Ungodly love fo Phat Phil and the Vols... no matter what... There records was no better than our last year
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

PiggoBitttys

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on February 12, 2006, 12:00:40 pm

Didn't help them much last year.

Not talking about their onfield performance here, friend. Talking about the love they get from publications due to their tradition...much like my Longhorns. And like the Longhorns, the Vols have talked the talk and walked the walk, unlike the Hogs. Thus, the Horns and Vols get attention, sometimes more than they deserve.

taintlint

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 12, 2006, 12:10:43 pm

Not talking about their onfield performance here, friend. Talking about the love they get from publications due to their tradition...much like my Longhorns. And like the Longhorns, the Vols have talked the talk and walked the walk, unlike the Hogs. Thus, the Horns and Vols get attention, sometimes more than they deserve.

Speaking of Longhorns, glad to see the stadium is going to be renovated. That place is a real dump. Every set of stands is a different shade of "rust". I hope they address the place being an eye sore along with adding seats.

TDHog

BLAH BLAH BLAH, LONGHORNS, BLAH BLAH BLAH, The BIG 12 is a tough conference, BLAH BLAH BLAH Take your a$$ to your "Beloved Longhorns" board.  Blah Blah Blah, your Longhorns have a losing recored against Nutt with my Razorbacks and 1 out of the last 4, yeah they rock

taintlint

Quote from: TDHog on February 12, 2006, 12:17:59 pm

BLAH BLAH BLAH, LONGHORNS, BLAH BLAH BLAH, The BIG 12 is a tough conference, BLAH BLAH BLAH Take your a$$ to your "Beloved Longhorns" board.  Blah Blah Blah, your Longhorns have a losing recored against Nutt with my Razorbacks and 1 out of the last 4, yeah they rock

I tend not to stick up for Longhorns but outside of the fact that they play football in a dump, I would sure like to be in their shoes right now.

murray-vegas

I hate to defend the Horns here but Nutt has 3 wins vs Texas. Texas has a national title. I'll have what Texas is having.

HognotinMemphis

If you want to live in the past, then why not talk about the '64 NC? That was before you were alive so guess it's too far back for you. I'm thinking more of the present...you know, the Longhorns' NC this year, the Hogs 4-7 season, off a 5-6 season the year before. I'd take the Longhorns' success in the last few years and gladly have them lose to the Hogs in '03. And even after the Hogs beat them in '03, the Hogs finished out of the top 25 at season's end...in other words, not a damn thing to show for it. Nice going, Nutt.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 12, 2006, 10:23:17 am
Quote from: gmb_79 on February 12, 2006, 10:22:36 am

I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

I wish you would
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

hoggystyle78

I for one miss the days when the Hogs were in the top 25 preseason poll. Now it seems there are a few on here who are happy with being ranked 34th?, must be the hugger faction. I will not be happy until my beloved Hogs are back in their rightful place, in the top 25. I'm like an earlier poster on here who said, "great, another 7-5 record and a trip to the Mudflap bowl.", that's not acceptable to me, but for the huggers it will be a mythical national championship!

LA HAWG

The problem is you guys look at this like it is a good thing when in all actuality they are picking us 4th in the west.  Not acceptable.

HighOnHogs

I bet we move up in the polls pretty quick after our 4-0 start.   ;)

LA HAWG

Quote from: HighOnHogs on February 13, 2006, 08:29:55 am
I bet we move up in the polls pretty quick after our 4-0 start.   ;)

You are talking about baseball, right?

ejay286

Anybody notice this quote in the Tennesee section?

"Cal, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, LSU and Arkansas are all on the schedule and all will spend time in the top 25, if not the top 15."