Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4 Strait games of 18,000 falls short

Started by hogfan13, February 11, 2006, 09:31:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan13

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Not too bad considering the weather and the team we were playing though, not to mention the game being on TV.

CiriusPorker

well, when we start playing like winners again, and not mediocre, that arena will fill up.

Boarcephus

Quote from: CiriusPorker on February 11, 2006, 10:19:04 pm
well, when we start playing like winners again, and not mediocre, that arena will fill up.

Not necessarily true...I-40 was slick enough that folks turned around and headed back tonite.  I personally know of several folks who passed through the tunnel and said "screw it", not worth it and headed back south.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

RAZ FAN

Its hard to believe that a few years ago there was a waiting list for tickets. It was one of the hardest tickets to get in college basketball. Man I hope we get there in the near future.

CiriusPorker

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 11, 2006, 10:33:33 pm

Not necessarily true...I-40 was slick enough that folks turned around and headed back tonite.  I personally know of several folks who passed through the tunnel and said "screw it", not worth it and headed back south.

i wasn't referring only to today.  the long term pattern is that the attendance has been low...and i think it's because nothing special ever comes out of our games...except modica's 37 performance.

Boarcephus

Quote from: CiriusPorker on February 11, 2006, 10:42:50 pm
i wasn't referring only to today.  the long term pattern is that the attendance has been low...and i think it's because nothing special ever comes out of our games...except modica's 37 performance.

I have to agree but an attendence of 17,000+ was not bad for a bad night up here.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hogblade

realtorhog

silvertip

Well, semi-Cirius porker guy---the facts do not support your erroneous assertion that "the long term pattern is that the attendance has been low." I read an article months ago which quoted JFB about attendance & he says it's growing the past few years.

I also read an article which gave specific numbers that said attendance has increased every year since Stan arrived.

The only reason that I don't give you those facts is that I don't have them right here on my desk right now.

Would you like to have a "fact battle" on your assertion that "the long term pattern is that the attendance is low."
I think I have a newspaper article quoting JFB a few months ago---which will quote the attendance stats that will blow your statement out of the water.

But, hey, you're the one who said that says "the long term pattern is that our attendance pattern is low." Why should I thrash around bringing facts to prove you wrong? You're the one who said that. IF you have the facts that support that statement, then it should be real easy to lay it out right now. Within a very few minutes. I mean, really, you must have known what you were talking about, right?

I say you're wrong & I challenge you to prove what you say. Could it just be that your mouth wrote a check that you can't cash? As far as I'm concerned, the only way you can escape is by defining "long term pattern." Be careful trying that, because if you get too "long term", you will get back to the era of our best coach, Sutton. I'll hang up & listen.

CiriusPorker

Quote from: silvertip on February 12, 2006, 12:50:41 am

Well, semi-Cirius porker guy---the facts do not support your erroneous assertion that "the long term pattern is that the attendance has been low." I read an article months ago which quoted JFB about attendance & he says it's growing the past few years.

I also read an article which gave specific numbers that said attendance has increased every year since Stan arrived.

The only reason that I don't give you those facts is that I don't have them right here on my desk right now.

Would you like to have a "fact battle" on your assertion that "the long term pattern is that the attendance is low."
I think I have a newspaper article quoting JFB a few months ago---which will quote the attendance stats that will blow your statement out of the water.

But, hey, you're the one who said that says "the long term pattern is that our attendance pattern is low." Why should I thrash around bringing facts to prove you wrong? You're the one who said that. IF you have the facts that support that statement, then it should be real easy to lay it out right now. Within a very few minutes. I mean, really, you must have known what you were talking about, right?

I say you're wrong & I challenge you to prove what you say. Could it just be that your mouth wrote a check that you can't cash? As far as I'm concerned, the only way you can escape is by defining "long term pattern." Be careful trying that, because if you get too "long term", you will get back to the era of our best coach, Sutton. I'll hang up & listen.

man, you gottsta chill!

silvertip

Quote from: CiriusPorker on February 12, 2006, 12:53:42 am

man, you gottsta chill!

I'm totally chilled, dood. While you're copping out.

You said attendance was suffering. I called you out & said prove it. As I expected, you were blowing smoke.

Your bluff was called. You have no facts to back up your BS. The best you can do is, "You gotta chill."

I'll tell you about "chill." I was stone cold serious in calling your bluff. No high blood pressure, no adrenaline rush. Cold blooded I knew you were wrong & I knew you had no facts to back up your stupid Heath-bashing BS to start with.

I don't need to chill at all, youngster. I was stone cold-blooded when I called you out and I'm stone cold right now.
Advice--YOU chill out, step back, get your stuff together before you make a bold statement that is so EASY to refute.

You want to whine about Heath's program---you are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to your own reality. Now you chill, dood.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: silvertip on February 12, 2006, 03:01:53 am

man, you gottsta chill!

You said attendance was suffering. I called you out & said prove it. As I expected, you were blowing smoke.

Your bluff was called. You have no facts to back up your BS. The best you can do is, "You gotta chill."

I'll tell you about "chill." I was stone cold serious in calling your bluff. No high blood pressure, no adrenaline rush. Cold blooded I knew you were wrong & I knew you had no facts to back up your stupid Heath-bashing BS to start with.

I don't need to chill at all, youngster. I was stone cold-blooded when I called you out and I'm stone cold right now.
Advice--YOU chill out, step back, get your stuff together before you make a bold statement that is so EASY to refute.

You want to whine about Heath's program---you are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to your own reality. Now you chill, dood.

Silver,

Do you realize you said, "stone cold" 4 times?  Add that to my list on the other thread about sayings or phrases that are annoying.

I can't speak for Cirius or what he intended to say...However, we don't sell out every game.  While the attendance (may) be on the rise (according to you), there are still many empty seats.  I missed the Auburn game tonight...it was the first that I have missed all year at home.  But I can tell you in all but a couple of the games that I have been to this year, i was surprised at how many empty seats there were.  My buddy and I have season tickets and we have yet to have anyone sit in the two seats on either side of us (with one exception...the game that Razorwire and Karma came down and set next to us.).  So, throw me your stats Silver (or should I say Steve Austin) because until you actually come to a game and see the empty seats, and the fact that we don't sell games out anymore...YOU GOT NOTHING YOUNGSTER! 

So, like Cirius said...Chill out.
Retired Radio Host

silvertip

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 12, 2006, 03:34:26 am
Quote from: silvertip on February 12, 2006, 03:01:53 am

man, you gottsta chill!

Silver,

Do you realize you said, "stone cold" 4 times?  Add that to my list on the other thread about sayings or phrases that are annoying.

I can't speak for Cirius or what he intended to say...However, we don't sell out every game.  While the attendance (may) be on the rise (according to you), there are still many empty seats.  I missed the Auburn game tonight...it was the first that I have missed all year at home.  But I can tell you in all but a couple of the games that I have been to this year, i was surprised at how many empty seats there were.  My buddy and I have season tickets and we have yet to have anyone sit in the two seats on either side of us (with one exception...the game that Razorwire and Karma came down and set next to us.).  So, throw me your stats Silver (or should I say Steve Austin) because until you actually come to a game and see the empty seats, and the fact that we don't sell games out anymore...YOU GOT NOTHING YOUNGSTER! 

So, like Cirius said...Chill out.

Well, hello uglyuncle. I don't remember talking to you before. Although I have been semi-impressed with the things you post. Until now.

You think it's at all meaningful that I said "stone cold"  4 times? Well, you have to be AWARE of what was going on. Cirius was saying "chill out." As a way of avoiding the fact that he was called out to produce attendance figures to support his lame assertions. He couldn't do it. So my 'stone cold" was just throwing it in his face that I was "chilled out" but he still couldn't produce the facts to justify his lame assertions.

WHY in the world, uncle, should I care about your list of annoying phrases on some other thread out there in the message board wasteland? Do you think I hang on your every thread? But more important, WHAT IN THE WORLD does your personal list of annoying phrases have to do with the discussion of attendance at games? I'll give you a hint---NOTHING.

Furthermore, what does your vague impression of game attendance have to do with the question of attendance trends over the years? Hint---NOTHING.

Who the hell is "Steve Austin"? And what does your Steve Austin have to do with attendance at games? Hint---NOTHING.

You say"Show me your stats." I say why? I'm not the one that said attendance long term is down. I don't have to show you or Cirius jack. You're the one's whining about attendance. It's up to you to show me what you got to support your lame arguments. I say show me your stats on attendance & tell me where you got the numbers.

Your vague impressions of BWA attendance is crap. Why should I believe that you have any ability at all to estimate the crowd? All you know is that BWA is not full. And that "razorwire & karma" came & sat next to you. WELL, now I'm impressed. I can take your vague impression of reality & add TWO.

So, BWA is not sold out "anymore." Which you also say is that's " all you know, blah blah blah..."

And finally, like the Nutt-huggers, you ask me to give you the stats. I say get it yourself. It's you and Cirius that come out with your unsupported assertions that attendance is suffering. Well, bring it. Fact is you make these lame claims without doing the work to find out the reality. And then you lamely challenge someone to do your research for you. And then, when your bluff is called, you resort to the classic Nutt-hugger excuse of "well, I just know what I saw."

I say to you, uglyuncle, and to Cirius Porker, that your assertion of poor attendance is false. I say that before you make such a claim, you should have the facts in your hand. I say that I have seen evidence in the press to the contrary. And I say it is not my job to make your case for you. YOU made the statement, you should have had your facts in hand before you made it. EVEN now, 30 minutes of google or hogwired or secsports research should give you the facts. I say you were blowing smoke & I say now you are either too lazy or perhaps afraid to examine the reality.

Now, YOU chill, dood. I am absolutely cold-blooded serious. Add THAT to the list of phrases that you want to whine about. Bottom line---I have now challenged you & Cirius to produce the facts to support your points. BOTTOM LINE, I don't think you can or will take the effort to do it. Reality is a biotch, isn't it? 

Ugly Uncle

Actually Silver, we have talked before...but that is okay, sometimes, I am very forgetable.

I do feel bad that my last post was the first one that you have not been impressed with.  That may say something more about you than my post...most of my post are not very impressive.

Most of what I said was tongue and cheek.  However, I noticed that you seemed to be in a very cross mood last night and seemed to jump all over Cirius.  The whole "stone cold" thing was me kidding you about your apparent bad mood.  Steve Austin was a reference to a guy that calls himself Stone Cold Steve Austin (and to be honest, I am not even sure I got the name Steve Austin correct).  As far as the phrase comment I made...that was made for the sake of Cirius, since he is the one that started that other thread.  I should have addressed that to him.

Secondly, I didn't say, "show me your stats"  I said, throw me your stats, as in "you can throw your stats around, but until you actually come to some of the games and see all the empty seats..."
   I have noticed that you are a real stat guy...and I admire that.  I am a baseball guy so stats are something that I love.  Sometimes, however, stats don't tell the whole story.  So, I will say again, rising attendance doesn't mean that there has not been a lag in people actually filling up BWA.  I wasn't asking you to do any research for me, I was just stating that there are always many, many empty seats.

You mentioned that you question my ability to estimate a crowd.  Which is incorrect sir.  You are doubting my eye sight.  My eye sight, because I can SEE that there are empty seats.  Unless I read Cirius incorrectly, he was talking about the fact that there has been a long term lag in attendance.  I agree, because I remember the days when there was standing room only.  There may be some fans that are starting to come back...as your stats you say you read may indicate.  But they are not flooding back as you seem to imply.  There are simply on the rise.  But reality is, there are still plenty of good seats available...if you do ever decide to actually come to a game.

Retired Radio Host

jrw11475

Boy you guys are making alot a darn about attendance.  I mean we win and the ass'es are in the seats.  Shut up already.

CiriusPorker

February 12, 2006, 02:15:08 pm #16 Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 02:21:18 pm by CiriusPorker
I'm not quite sure what silvertip was drinking last night...or smoking, but in this thread i said nothing bashing Heath.  I just said we've been a mediocre team.  Mediocre teams don't fill up seats like great teams.  THAT was my point.  Silver, you really need to take a look at what someone says before you embarrass yourself trying to disprove someone's statement.  I came in with a post to add to discussion, you came in with a post to refute.  Grow up.  I don't know or care how old you are, but you are obviously not mature enough to read what i wrote for what is, but you assumed because all i said was "chill out" that I was backing out of an argument because I couldn't verify stats.

I backed out ONLY because it would be an argument with someone who only chose to argue, not to discuss...and because you demonstrated a real lack of maturity and self control in your original posts in this thread last night, I am glad I didn't read any more of this crap until today.

Where are your "press' statistics?  seriously, you kept saying you could back them up.  There was an article in the Dem-Gaz where Frank Broyles said the bottom line was fine...  How is that great attendance?  the bottom line was fine?  He said this in response to concerns about LOW attendance.  Unlike you, I remember those days when BWA was constantly sold out.  I was a student when you had to camp just to get student tickets. 

Defend Heath all you want, I don't care.  I have nothing personal against him.  READ my original post before claiming that I ever bashed him.  You WILL SEE that what you did was the most embarrassing thing you have done for yourself in a while.  I used to respect your posts...that has changed.

WilsonHog

Actually, we are all entitled to our own reality.

silvertip

Quote from: uglyuncle on February 12, 2006, 01:03:55 pm
Actually Silver, we have talked before...but that is okay, sometimes, I am very forgetable.

I do feel bad that my last post was the first one that you have not been impressed with.  That may say something more about you than my post...most of my post are not very impressive.

Most of what I said was tongue and cheek.  However, I noticed that you seemed to be in a very cross mood last night and seemed to jump all over Cirius.  The whole "stone cold" thing was me kidding you about your apparent bad mood.  Steve Austin was a reference to a guy that calls himself Stone Cold Steve Austin (and to be honest, I am not even sure I got the name Steve Austin correct).  As far as the phrase comment I made...that was made for the sake of Cirius, since he is the one that started that other thread.  I should have addressed that to him.

Secondly, I didn't say, "show me your stats"  I said, throw me your stats, as in "you can throw your stats around, but until you actually come to some of the games and see all the empty seats..."
   I have noticed that you are a real stat guy...and I admire that.  I am a baseball guy so stats are something that I love.  Sometimes, however, stats don't tell the whole story.  So, I will say again, rising attendance doesn't mean that there has not been a lag in people actually filling up BWA.  I wasn't asking you to do any research for me, I was just stating that there are always many, many empty seats.

You mentioned that you question my ability to estimate a crowd.  Which is incorrect sir.  You are doubting my eye sight.  My eye sight, because I can SEE that there are empty seats.  Unless I read Cirius incorrectly, he was talking about the fact that there has been a long term lag in attendance.  I agree, because I remember the days when there was standing room only.  There may be some fans that are starting to come back...as your stats you say you read may indicate.  But they are not flooding back as you seem to imply.  There are simply on the rise.  But reality is, there are still plenty of good seats available...if you do ever decide to actually come to a game.

Well, uglyuncle, I do regret getting too hostile with you. I get worse after Saturday night games. Too much adrenaline from the game mixed with too much Budweiser makes a bad boy. Sorry. After all these years, I still can figure out the minimum # of Buds needed to guarantee a Hog win. I don't want to put out a half-way effort, especially for an SEC game.

I see that we are talking about 2 different kinds of attendance. I'm talking about "official" attendence which I "think" is released by the U of A & I think that means "tickets sold"(?) I have long been aware that the actual crowd is usually less.

You are talking about the crowd on hand. No doubt you can get a feel for that. I "think" the crowds are less than Nolan's glory days. But "long term"--my "theory" is that the it started down before Nolan left and it's now rising. So, I took offense at using attendance as just another Heath-bashing tool. Well, enuff

Does anyone know the minimum # of beers needed to insure a Hog win? I'm wandering in the wilderness out here without a map.

silvertip

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 12, 2006, 02:17:58 pm
Actually, we are all entitled to our own reality.

Oh. No wonder me & you can't agree much. Thanks, that explains a lot :)

CiriusPorker

Does anyone know the minimum # of beers needed to insure a Hog win?

I think its an entire 12 pack, and a shot of whiskey.

RAZORBART

Did the U of A put season tickets up for sale within the last few years for the first time in several years ? what would that indicate ?

CiriusPorker

how many beers does it take to get the attendance back up?

McKdaddy

Quote from: CiriusPorker on February 12, 2006, 02:58:17 pm
How many beers did it take to get me through this thread?   ;)
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

CiriusPorker

Quote from: McKdaddy on February 12, 2006, 03:09:32 pm
How many beers did it take to get me through this thread?   ;)

how many shots did it take to get you to 407 posts?

McKdaddy

Quote from: CiriusPorker on February 12, 2006, 03:10:08 pm
Quote from: McKdaddy on February 12, 2006, 03:09:32 pm
How many beers did it take to get me through this thread?   ;)

how many shots did it take to get you to 407 posts?
I'd post more if I drank less.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

silvertip

Quote from: CiriusPorker on February 12, 2006, 02:15:08 pm
I'm not quite sure what silvertip was drinking last night...or smoking, but in this thread i said nothing bashing Heath.  I just said we've been a mediocre team.  Mediocre teams don't fill up seats like great teams.  THAT was my point.  Silver, you really need to take a look at what someone says before you embarrass yourself trying to disprove someone's statement.  I came in with a post to add to discussion, you came in with a post to refute.  Grow up.  I don't know or care how old you are, but you are obviously not mature enough to read what i wrote for what is, but you assumed because all i said was "chill out" that I was backing out of an argument because I couldn't verify stats.

I backed out ONLY because it would be an argument with someone who only chose to argue, not to discuss...and because you demonstrated a real lack of maturity and self control in your original posts in this thread last night, I am glad I didn't read any more of this crap until today.

Where are your "press' statistics?  seriously, you kept saying you could back them up.  There was an article in the Dem-Gaz where Frank Broyles said the bottom line was fine...  How is that great attendance?  the bottom line was fine?  He said this in response to concerns about LOW attendance.  Unlike you, I remember those days when BWA was constantly sold out.  I was a student when you had to camp just to get student tickets. 

Defend Heath all you want, I don't care.  I have nothing personal against him.  READ my original post before claiming that I ever bashed him.  You WILL SEE that what you did was the most embarrassing thing you have done for yourself in a while.  I used to respect your posts...that has changed.

Tap dance around it all you want. You can run, but you can't hide. You said something like "long term attendance is down." I said prove it, bring your facts, etc.

Now I am embarassed about being so repetitious about the "bring the facts" thing. But the rambling repitition is the only thing I'm embarassed about.

Meanwhile, you continue to throw out a bunch of drivel, while evading the fact that you don't have, never did have the facts before you jumped out there with your "long term attendance is down" BS.

This could go on for days, weeks, whatever---and you will never produce the facts nor admit that you just made it all up to support your agenda.

Lando Calrissian

47%

That's the percentage of the 18,000 (averaged out over the course of the season thus far) that are asleep by halftime.

Only 13% are in REM sleep by halftime.  That's down slightly from last season's 18% mark.

In conference play, only 35% of people attending the game (that's what people do now, "attend" the game) were sleeping by halftime.

That means that the other 65% were at least half-way paying attention to the edge-of-your seat on-court basketball action!
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Pioneer Fan

There were rows and rows of empty seats. Doesn't Bud Walton hold right around 20K? If it does, there were more like 15K there.

I thought ticket sales and attendance were two totally different things. Do they get the attendance numbers by actually counting people? Someone please clarify this because season ticket holders that don't show up shouldn't be counted as attendees.
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.