Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

will nolan coach again?

Started by big boes, February 11, 2006, 06:19:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

big boes

except for utep a few years ago, i haven't heard nolan's name mentioned for any jobs.  is he not pursuing them or does no one want him?  it's hard to imagine that guys like dave bliss and larry eustachy can get jobs again but that a guy like nolan can't.  who wouldn't want a guy who won at every level including a national title and 3 final 4's?  any chance missouri would contact him?

HogDodging

Nolan's not going to take any job until he has every last bit of money he can get from the UA.
Sure, someone might be able to afford to hire him.  But, could they afford to fire him?

Tater Salad

Part of the court ruling was that he's supposed to look for another coaching job

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 11, 2006, 06:21:09 pm
Nolan's not going to take any job until he has every last bit of money he can get from the UA.
Sure, someone might be able to afford to hire him.  But, could they afford to fire him?

That seems to be the situation.  AD's do not want to hire a coach who very well might sue them.  Nolan's reputation for being trouble is much larger than his record as a D-1 basketball coach.  Whether you like Nolan or not, it is just a fact that he dug a hole and then covered himself up in it. 
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

the donger

Who would be stupid enough to hire that potential race card pulling piece of sh..?

Tater Salad

I heard he was coaching Panama's national team

big boes

hey mid-georgia-hogfan.  isn't that failure quote usually attributed to dan quayle.

big boes

tater salad, thanks for the update on nolan.  he took the panama national gig last summer.

HogDodging

Quote from: Tater Salad on February 11, 2006, 06:29:26 pm
I heard he was coaching Panama's national team

Wasn't that just temporary and for no pay?

berryhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 11, 2006, 06:35:49 pm
Wasn't that just temporary and for no pay?

I think you are right.  I don't think he received any "compensation" for that job.

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: big boes on February 11, 2006, 06:32:14 pm
hey mid-georgia-hogfan.  isn't that failure quote usually attributed to dan quayle.

You got me.  I picked it up in an article about stupid quotes.  Heck, it does sound more like something Quayle would say.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

turbo2000

Would like to see him take a nba coaching job. Bet he would do good.

HatfieldHog

If you guys think that this is anything but "Fear" on the part of other AD's over hiring someone who just sued his former employer over "race" allegations, then you don't understand big-business college athletics.  Anyone with the tag "litigation" attached to his name is not gonna get many offers! The school that you see hire Nolan will also have "desperate" written all over their program.

Just the truth,   See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

whatsshakinbacon

Don't be surprised to see him pick up a permanent overseas gig when his money runs out.  It is entirely up to him, however, as he's at the age now where he may want to fade into the sunset.

Bacon out...

hogman64

He was pretty well faded into the sunset his last few years at arkansas as far as I was concerned...sometimes people  give the impression he was coming off back to back final game appearances when he was fired and would be  a hot commodity in the coaching market, if he only wanted to be.......... his job performance pretty well sucked after the Corliss group left... Major universities have many  more reasons than just his mean spirited lawsuit to keep them from being interested in him.......

silvertip

Quote from: Mountainboar on February 11, 2006, 08:50:29 pm
Our great former coach is doing exactly the same as any other human would do and take the money and wait to take a job when it runs out.  Only an idiot would coach and take the same pay vs. just taking the pay.  Nolan doesn't have to coach again...he's financially secure.  I just hope I'll get the chance to see one of his teams play again.  The only thing that matters to me for coaches is what they do from game start till game end.  I hate politics.

Mountainboar, I think you have a good chance of seeing your Hero coach again. Just subscribe to the ESPNversion 6.2--for-those-who-worship-the-bottom-third-of-the-NCAA-BB-World--DOT COM.

Nolan took himself from a NCAA black coach hero down to a NCAA coaching PARIAH. ( I'll look it up if you will)

What you think of as Nolan's " great career" is a sad & pitiful joke in the world of NCAA coaching opportunities.

Nolan "says" he wants to coach again. That reminds me of the time years ago when I told the "Unemployment office" that I was really looking for a job, for $200 a week.

Well, I can't wait for Nolan to get off his $500,000 a year
welfare check. Let him see then what his market value is.
He best draw his Social Security check & go out & change the world with all his fame & money. He is less employabe than even Bobby Knight or Woody Hayes. Just as usual my ever-humble-opinion.

Boarcephus

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 11, 2006, 09:23:17 pm
Don't be surprised to see him pick up a permanent overseas gig when his money runs out.  It is entirely up to him, however, as he's at the age now where he may want to fade into the sunset.

Bacon out...

Hope he doesn't plan on riding into the sunset, someone might shoot his horse out from under him!

Nolan not only did he coach the Panamanian team to a gold medal but in true Nolan fashion, took full credit.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 11, 2006, 09:39:05 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 11, 2006, 09:23:17 pm

Bacon out...

Hope he doesn't plan on riding into the sunset, someone might shoot his horse out from under him!

Nolan not only did he coach the Panamanian team to a gold medal but in true Nolan fashion, took full credit.

I said "fade into the sunset" in hopes that no one would make a lame horse joke.  Thanks man.

Bacon out...

baumsquad

JUST WIN BABY!!

jkelly107

It is blasphemy to put great coaches like Bobby Knight and Woody Hayes in the same category as a piece of $hit like Nolan

silvertip

February 11, 2006, 09:53:36 pm #20 Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 09:59:01 pm by silvertip
Quote from: hogman64 on February 11, 2006, 09:34:38 pm
He was pretty well faded into the sunset his last few years at arkansas as far as I was concerned...sometimes people  give the impression he was coming off back to back final game appearances when he was fired and would be  a hot commodity in the coaching market, if he only wanted to be.......... his job performance pretty well sucked after the Corliss group left... Major universities have many  more reasons than just his mean spirited lawsuit to keep them from being interested in him.......

A big +karma for you, hogman64!

PERFORMANCE, & lack thereof, was the problem. As you say, once Corliss was gone, the glory was gone. I have posted those exact words before.

So many people think Nolan was a genious. As far as I'm concerned, Sutton was a much better coach. The difference between Eddie & Nolan was Corliss. Put Corliss on a Sutton coached team & we would get 2 NCs out of the Big Nasty instead of just one. Corliss was a force of nature like Hurricane Andrews---and in both cases, coaching was irrelevant.

You will notice that all the Nolan fans constantly talk about the '94 & '95 teams. They act as if his his pitiful last 6 years never happened. Nolan took the proud program that Sutton built into the gutter.

Fact is, Nolan played the race card to the hilt in order to hang on for a few years, when his performance should have got him fired. Congrats, Nowin, for getting a couple million bucks by playing the race card.     

Boarcephus

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 11, 2006, 09:40:26 pm

I said "fade into the sunset" in hopes that no one would make a lame horse joke.  Thanks man.

Bacon out...
[/quote]

Sorry man...too many Jack and Cokes.   I'll do better next time. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 11, 2006, 09:59:44 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 11, 2006, 09:40:26 pm

Bacon out...

Sorry man...too many Jack and Cokes.   I'll do better next time. 
[/quote]

I forgive you...but Nolan and his horse are not amused.

>:(

Bacon out...

Boarcephus

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 11, 2006, 10:03:03 pm

Bacon out...

I never got my quota man...this is the first comment I've made about the horse.  Let me just get one gig in and I'm through.  Later....

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 11, 2006, 10:07:46 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on February 11, 2006, 10:03:03 pm

Bacon out...

I never got my quota man...this is the first comment I've made about the horse.  Let me just get one gig in and I'm through.  Later....

Applause... ;D

Bacon out...

silvertip

Quote from: HatfieldHog on February 11, 2006, 09:14:56 pm
If you guys think that this is anything but "Fear" on the part of other AD's over hiring someone who just sued his former employer over "race" allegations, then you don't understand big-business college athletics.  Anyone with the tag "litigation" attached to his name is not gonna get many offers! The school that you see hire Nolan will also have "desperate" written all over their program.

Just the truth,   See ya

Exactly, Hatfield, A big + karma for you.( although I bet you don't care about the karma BS)

Texas Tech was pretty desperate (eager) to hire a head case like Bobby Knight. BUT, I think they accurately figured he could throw chairs, threaten students, & stuff Hispanics into trash cans in LUBBOCK-by-gawd-Texass and the MEDIA would never even notice.  WHILE making Tx Tech a basketball power. They underestimated what recruits would see when they actually saw Lubbock.

Boarcephus

silvertip

Quote from: jkelly107 on February 11, 2006, 09:45:43 pm
It is blasphemy to put great coaches like Bobby Knight and Woody Hayes in the same category as a piece of $hit like Nolan

Do you even know how Woody Hayes went out? No disrespect intended. But maybe you're a bit younger than those like me(57) who actually saw the final Woody Hayes self-distruction. On national TV.  Which, like Knight's Indiana melt down, was obviously coming on for a couple of years.

I don't buy the "blasphemy" BS.  I don't care what the W-L record of Woody, Bobby, and Nolan were. Fact is, they all self-destructed due to a lack of class.

Tell us---do you know about the nationally televised incident which ended Woody Hayes career? I saw it live on TV & it was SHOCKING!! And I said to my buddies watching the game with me--"That's it for Woody. Stick a fork in him, he's done."

Now, I agree that Nolan is a piece of xxx who should go back down to El Paso--or anywhere else. What I disagree with is thinking that Woody & Knight are any better.   

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: silvertip on February 11, 2006, 10:39:43 pm
Quote from: jkelly107 on February 11, 2006, 09:45:43 pm

Do you even know how Woody Hayes went out? No disrespect intended. But maybe you're a bit younger than those like me(57) who actually saw the final Woody Hayes self-distruction. On national TV.  Which, like Knight's Indiana melt down, was obviously coming on for a couple of years.

I don't buy the "blasphemy" BS.  I don't care what the W-L record of Woody, Bobby, and Nolan were. Fact is, they all self-destructed due to a lack of class.

Tell us---do you know about the nationally televised incident which ended Woody Hayes career? I saw it live on TV & it was SHOCKING!! And I said to my buddies watching the game with me--"That's it for Woody. Stick a fork in him, he's done."

Now, I agree that Nolan is a piece of xxx who should go back down to El Paso--or anywhere else. What I disagree with is thinking that Woody & Knight are any better.  

The three of them make for pretty good bedfellows.  (there's a word we don't use much anymore)

I didn't see Hayes flame out live on tv, but man when he went he went big.

Idiot.

Bacon out...

Hog_from_Tulsa

I always loved Nolan's antics on the court.......but then he turned his antics back onto the fans.......Pardon the paraphrase....but when he said no one knew what it was like to be like him.........HE'S RIGHT.....I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE TO BE A MILLIONIARE......and.....if you paid me millions to coach a basketball team.....anyone of you could criticize all you want.....after all....fans are the customers.....it's not like the school is paying the coach with tuition money (we hope)
"We can't get no reform when we're the incumbent" - Pappy O'Daniel

Athog

HogInGermany

February 12, 2006, 10:22:48 am #31 Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 10:25:35 am by HogInGermany
You guys prove Nolan right everyday on this board. He was a great coach and deserves respect and appreciation. All of you that are calling him a piece of Shiite and making fun of his horse being shot need to reexamine your life and leave Nolan alone. Go worship Gus or whatever else it is that you do.