Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs stick by disheartened teammate (Article)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, February 10, 2006, 10:17:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

Sean McCurdy's teammates rallied around him the loss at LSU. "You can't isolate somebody just because they made a mistake and missed a shot," Brewer said. "If that's the case, they can do that to me because I missed the last shot of the game."

Don't know about you guys but I can't freaking wait to get Auburn on the court!!!!

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

This article got me fired up!!!  Arkansas scores 90+ in this game at home. What do you guys think...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

Sounds like a team, now if we can just find a coach.

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

othermac

lets give them plenty of support sat nite, they could take off like a rocket.
"opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work" Thomas Edison

hogsanity

By the time they get to this level every player on that team has had chances to make a big play late and NOT GOTTEN IT DONE.  If any of them had said anything about McCurdy I would have wanted to smack them.  Of course at 36 5'8" 180 that would have been plain stupid.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: hogsanity on February 10, 2006, 10:55:31 am
By the time they get to this level every player on that team has had chances to make a big play late and NOT GOTTEN IT DONE.  If any of them had said anything about McCurdy I would have wanted to smack them.  Of course at 36 5'8" 180 that would have been plain stupid.

lol

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

can we say silver lining?  Here's hoping the TEAM (coach included) rallies together to line em up and knock em down the rest of the season.

HogInaStrangeLand

That is very encouraging...

As for McCurdy, I do hope he gets more playing time and I do hope he makes good with it.

(I just get tired of over critical people regarding coaches...)

hogtheball

I think this game might be the best thing that's happened to these guys the last two years. This article and the way the team has been since the loss show that they are finally becoming a team. After that loss, the team was either going to go fold up or come together.  I wouldn't want to be Auburn tomorrow.    Brewer is starting to become a leader, and that could be HUGE.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: hogtheball on February 10, 2006, 11:09:57 am
    Brewer is starting to become a leader, and that could be HUGE.

After reading that and a couple of other quotes from RB I think we are ready to turn a major corner, hell maybe take the on ramp.  If we begin to play like a team as much as they are sounding like a team, LOOK OUT
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

taintlint

February 10, 2006, 11:37:55 am #10 Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 12:01:19 pm by taintlint
I need to go vomit now. THIS IS THE EXACT REASON HEATH WILL STICK AROUND. All it takes is the slightest bit of sunshine pumping, spin doctoring, rick schaeffer speech, promise of a hot recruit, or any other amount of rah rah sis boom bah bu.llshit and Razorback fans are all excited again. This is pathetic. And how convienient is it that this new found motivation is at the exact same point that Auburn is in the batters box?!!?! Just wonderul. We will spank the shiite out of a bottom feeder and it's all of that "turn the corner crap" again. I really wish we would have a team lined up for this saturday that is at least floating around "mediocre" so that this coaching staff would get blown out, booed, and we can finally put the nail in this coffin. Regardless, here we come winning streak!!!!! Huggers rejoice!!!!!

NATEHOGG216

put the FINALLY nail in this coffin, hmmm.  Ok I am far from a hugger, ask anyone on this board.  I am excited piss on you if you don't like it.  Don't get me wrong, Im not callin JFB to extend Stan's contract.  What I am saying is all freaking year I and a lot of others on here(possibly you) have been wishing all year for our team to get some fire and play like a team.  So yes when I hear quotes from players(not SH b/c they don't mean shiite) especially RB who is SUPPOSED to be the leader that sound as if He is pissed, not sad, pissed.  That is all I have wanted all year, PLAY WITH FREAKIN HEART.  And ya it sounds as if someone gave RB a heart transplant and he is ready to go.  As RB goes, so goes the HOGS.
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: taintlint on February 10, 2006, 11:37:55 am
I need to go vomit now. THIS IS THE EXACT REASON HEATH WILL STICK AROUND. All it takes is the slightest bit of sunshine pumping, spin doctoring, rick schaeffer speech, promise of a hot recruit, or any other amount of rah rah sis boom bah bu.llshit and Razorback fans are all excited again. This is pathetic. And how convienient is it that this new found motivation is at the exact same point that Auburn is in the batters box?!!?! Just wonderul. We will spank the shiite out of a bottom feeder and it's all of that "turn the corner crap" again. I really wish we would have a team lined up for this saturday that is at least floating around "mediocre" so that this coaching staff would get blown out, booed, and we can put the finally nail in this coffin. Regardless, here we come winning streak!!!!! Huggers rejoice!!!!!

Dang man chill a little, we gotta grasp what straws is out there!!

NATEHOGG216

good call bogarto, the only way tomorrow means anything at all is if lose or RB or Modica, or SM goes off and score 50. 

hogsanity

Well 7 to go.  Bama, Ole Miss Ms St Aub should be wins

Fla at home, but they are good.

To me GA is the key game.  On the road.  If this was at home we would be saying it is a lock.  Win the 4 listed as "should win" and steal this one on the road and the hogs go to the SECT at 9-7.  Losing to Fla at home would not be nearly as bad as losing to GA on the road.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

taintlint

Quote from: NATEHOGG216 on February 10, 2006, 11:44:55 am
put the FINALLY nail in this coffin, hmmm.  Ok I am far from a hugger, ask anyone on this board.  I am excited piss on you if you don't like it.  Don't get me wrong, Im not callin JFB to extend Stan's contract.  What I am saying is all freaking year I and a lot of others on here(possibly you) have been wishing all year for our team to get some fire and play like a team.  So yes when I hear quotes from players(not SH b/c they don't mean shiite) especially RB who is SUPPOSED to be the leader that sound as if He is pissed, not sad, pissed.  That is all I have wanted all year, PLAY WITH FREAKIN HEART.  And ya it sounds as if someone gave RB a heart transplant and he is ready to go.  As RB goes, so goes the HOGS.

I fixed it for you. I forgot that we have some literary critics on here, such as yourself, that can create wonderful pieces that rival Hemmingway, Twain, and the Apostle Paul. Forgive me. Regardless, there was nothing in that article that would lead one to believe that this team has a hardcore desire to win. The whole article was based on how emotionally soft and sensitive the team has been towards McCurdy. Wow! Brewer said it was his fault, not McCurdys! Hand me a freakin tissue. If that does not sound like a bunch of pissed off men, what does?

HognotinMemphis

If I were the head coach and gave McCurdy a shot at stardom and he blows it like he did, I would not play McCurdy again in crunch time the rest of this season.

McCurdy should be castigated for missing those FT's. They are called "FREE throws" for a reason...they are easy. And to miss 2 of them in a row at that point in that kind of game is unforgiveable.

Brewer missing a last second shot is not a big deal.

As far as I am concerned, McCurdy lost the game for the Hogs. Is he a SEC basketball player or is he a lower level player? If the former, then he should have hit at least one of those FT's.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

taintlint

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 10, 2006, 12:08:10 pm
If I were the head coach and gave McCurdy a shot at stardom and he blows it like he did, I would not play McCurdy again in crunch time the rest of this season.

McCurdy should be castigated for missing those FT's. They are called "FREE throws" for a reason...they are easy. And to miss 2 of them in a row at that point in that kind of game is unforgiveable.

As far as I am concerned, McCurdy lost the game for the Hogs. Is he a SEC basketball player or is he a lower level player? If the former, then he should have hit at least one of those FT's.

A white boy clanking two in a row from the charity stripe is kinda like Jordan slamming the front of the rim on a dunk. There is just something wrong about it.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Bogarto on February 10, 2006, 12:15:02 pm
So you would cut a freshman off and hang him out to dry after pullling him off the bench and having him shoot 2 free throws? I agree he should have at least made one, but you don't just crush someone for making a mistake. If every freshman that screwed up were benched the rest of the year there would be very few ever develop. I wouldn't pull McCurdy off the bench anymore just for clutch situations but I would definetely still play him. Cut the kid some slack.

I would crush him for making that mistake. I'd give him another chance next season in critical times of games.

I didn't say I would bench him. Can you people read?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

taintlint

Quote from: Bogarto on February 10, 2006, 12:15:02 pm
So you would cut a freshman off and hang him out to dry after pullling him off the bench and having him shoot 2 free throws? I agree he should have at least made one, but you don't just crush someone for making a mistake. If every freshman that screwed up were benched the rest of the year there would be very few ever develop. I wouldn't pull McCurdy off the bench anymore just for clutch situations but I would definetely still play him. Cut the kid some slack.

I for one have never said that slack should not be extended. But, there should not have been a player in that back/mid court area that could not nail a free throw. A freshman in college, a DIVISION ONE SCHOOL at that, should hit a dang free throw. There are 10 year old girls that can sit in their driveway and hit at least one out of two. A point guard at a D1 school should do the same. By 18 or 19 years old, you either can do it or you can't. There is no difference in 18 or 34.

JUMPIN JAHOGSAPHAT

Just curious HoginMemphis, what exactly do you mean by, "I would crush him?"

NATEHOGG216

taintlint

DOGALUM

Quote from: JUMPIN JAHOGSAPHAT on February 10, 2006, 12:23:51 pm
He means..."I'm a pusssy but I can sure run my mouth from behind my keyboard."   

A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

johnny cash

They should rally behind him they are a team.  Everyone makes mistakes look at Hog in Memphis's .longhorn emblem.  Surely a Hog fan wouldn't put that there on purpose.

OrvilleRedenporker

Whoever would like to watch as the hogs rally around McCurdy needs to purchase my six tickets since I can't go tomorrow.  All are downstairs and are great seats.  Call me at 479-754-0459 if you are interested.

Thunderhog Jr

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 10, 2006, 12:50:53 pm

Good call.

HogInaStrangeLand

Ouch...interesting interpretation
(probably right on though, just I myself wouldn't climb out on the limb that far DogAlum, but
again, probably right on target.)

Nice Post Nate regarding a team sounding like a team.

Adam Stokes

Though I disagree wit

I have to agree to some point, he needs more gametime experince before we should put him in crucial parts of the game.  Another instance like wednesday and McCurdy might get into the fetal position.  I don't blame him for missing the freethrows though I do believe it is what ultimately cost us the game, (besides the 3-pointer).  If I were Stan I would've done the same thing putting McCurdy in, but now we know not to do that unless he gets to play more.  But we can't expect him to be great in the clutch if he isn't playing and gaining experience during the game.

wupigsuey

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 10, 2006, 12:50:53 pm

I dont care who you are thats funny right there...karma galore!!
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

NATEHOGG216

TDHog

Where to start on this one.  First I have been luke warm on Stan all year, but the paper said Ronnie called or talked to Sean 3-5 times because he was concerned the first couple didn't get through.  From the Military I learned when you are completely broken down (which I think this team was Wed night) you either rally together or fall apart, this seems to be signs of Ronnie taking the lead and getting the team to rally together, I refuse to have anything but hope for my hogs, I will continue to cheer them on and believe they will turn the corner, I refuse to hope they loose or hope we get a new coach, I prefer to hope this coach can get it together because thatr means we are winning.

Second - all of you people acting like those free throws were the same as a Jr. High Girls game are out of your minds.  5 year losing, reputation for not being able to win on the road, possibly the hopes for the first NCAA birth since 2000ish, one of teh most pivital games to this point at LSU's arena

Yeah that is about the same as shooting free throws in your driveway.
He is a fresman and made a mistake, let it go.  He alone did not loose this game the RAZORBACKS LOST THIS GAME.

hogtheball

Quote from: taintlint on February 10, 2006, 12:13:37 pm

A white boy clanking two in a row from the charity stripe is kinda like Jordan slamming the front of the rim on a dunk. There is just something wrong about it.

Jordan did that a few times in his career.  He used to make Sportscenter every time he missed a dunk.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

jlmnjem

I played with a guy in college who was the best free throw shooter I have ever seen. Once a week at the end of practice, everyone would have to MAKE 100 free throws, and record the number of shots it took. This guy did it in 101 once, and NEVER took more than 112. He would be out of the shower and eating in the dining hall before the next guy to finish would get through. He rarely played, but if the game was on the line, coming in cold or not, I would want him shooting the FT's. Every one of my teammates would, too.

I don't know this to be fact, but perhaps McCurdy is by far the best fundamental free throw shooter on the team. Maybe, if you had polled the team beforehand who they would want shooting the shots, every one of them would have sent McCurdy to the line. I doubt there is a single person who is criticizing Sean McCurdy who has ever been on the FT line in a more difficult situation. If you have, let us know your real name because we have probably heard of you.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jlmnjem on February 11, 2006, 11:18:58 am
I played with a guy in college who was the best free throw shooter I have ever seen. Once a week at the end of practice, everyone would have to MAKE 100 free throws, and record the number of shots it took. This guy did it in 101 once, and NEVER took more than 112. He would be out of the shower and eating in the dining hall before the next guy to finish would get through. He rarely played, but if the game was on the line, coming in cold or not, I would want him shooting the FT's. Every one of my teammates would, too.

I don't know this to be fact, but perhaps McCurdy is by far the best fundamental free throw shooter on the team. Maybe, if you had polled the team beforehand who they would want shooting the shots, every one of them would have sent McCurdy to the line. I doubt there is a single person who is criticizing Sean McCurdy who has ever been on the FT line in a more difficult situation. If you have, let us know your real name because we have probably heard of you.

I don't get a free education to shoot FT's in a pressure situation. McCurdy does, but he can't do it.

ridgeback

The more minutes for McCurdy, the less pressure he feels in crunch time .  Reddick of the Puke Poo Devils doesn't have the greatest D skills but his coach does understand what he brings to the table. Heart, hustle, points, assists, team chemistry,etc. Let him play more please Mr. Heath!!

hogtheball

The kid has enough pressure on him without comparing him to the best player in the country (at least one of the two best).  And Reddick is actually known for being a very good defensive player.  Read the NBA scouting reports. 

hoggystyle78

We should've never been in that position anyway! I'm sure NOBODY feels worse than McCurdy about missing the free throws. I will be looking today vs. Auburn to see how the team responds, hopefully it will be positive. We've still got a little BB to play so let's hope the boys go out and kick some Tiger tail!   GHG

ridgeback

I didn't mean  to imply that he is the next JJ . I would just like to see him get a few more minutes under his belt. He does seem bring a different energy to the game . My bad on JJ's  D. I thought the TV guru's mention that about JJ's D. I try not to watch to much Puke U. ball, just when the hogs were spanking them back in the day.

HogBaptist

HoginMemphis never told us what he meant by "I would crush him"

DOGALUM

Quote from: HogBaptist on February 11, 2006, 02:35:46 pm
He didn't need to......I translated for him.  ;)

HognotinMemphis

I was using the same phrase that the poster to whom I was replying to used. Re-read that guy's post. Whatever he meant is what I meant.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DOGALUM on February 11, 2006, 02:48:02 pm
He didn't need to......I translated for him.  ;)

Easy, young one.

HogHeathen

jlmnjem

QuoteI don't get a free education to shoot FT's in a pressure situation. McCurdy does, but he can't do it.

My point is that even the best shooters can miss two in a row. I've seen Ronnie Brewer miss two in a row, yet you're not calling for his scholarship. You even go so far as to say that Brewer missing the last shot is not a big deal. Actually, his taking the last shot was more of the issue, since two of his teammates were open for better shots than he took.

QuoteThey are called "FREE throws" for a reason...they are easy.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Clearly, you have never been in that situation.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

February 11, 2006, 03:55:44 pm #45 Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 04:03:48 pm by notshavintilnuttgo
How is this rallying around McCurdy going to help us again, today against Auburn???

Is he going to be more confident when he high-fives the guys coming off the court from a timeout?  Will he be more confident when he passes a towel down to someone who just sub'd out?  Or is it that he'll be able to drink his gatorade more confidently, without spilling any on his warm-up suit???

If Heath gives McCurdy more minutes today than the usual 1 or 2 at STRANGE, RANDOM times in the game, this will be MIND-BOGGLING and will make me question his sanity.

Will it be because he feels sorry for him b/c he missed those free throws, OR b/c he regrets putting him in cold in that situation and wants to make up for it?

Heath should have been playing McCurdy ALL ALONG b/c he is THE BEST overall PG we have and he has shown that in the few chances he has been given.

As much as I want McCurdy to play more, if he gets a substantial amount of minutes tonight I will officially have to declare Stan Heath as having NO PLAN whatsoever and no good reasoning behind the decisions he has made.

Stewie, I understand and somewhat feel your enthusiasm.  I don't disagree with the power of this type of locker room rallying.  It can be a very powerful, unifying force.  Unfortunately, logic superseeds the good feelings in this situation, IMO. 
:razorback: :(
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: jlmnjem on February 11, 2006, 03:39:17 pm
QuoteI don't get a free education to shoot FT's in a pressure situation. McCurdy does, but he can't do it.

My point is that even the best shooters can miss two in a row. I've seen Ronnie Brewer miss two in a row, yet you're not calling for his scholarship. You even go so far as to say that Brewer missing the last shot is not a big deal. Actually, his taking the last shot was more of the issue, since two of his teammates were open for better shots than he took.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Clearly, you have never been in that situation.

I've been in a ton of pressure situations in my previous work as a banker and a lawyer. I understand pressure.  I don't have to have ever stood at a FT line with a game on the line to understand that pressure. That boy didn't execute...he choked. 

DOGALUM

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 11, 2006, 04:49:41 pm

I've been in a ton of pressure situations in my previous work as a banker and a lawyer. I understand pressure.  I don't have to have ever stood at a FT line with a game on the line to understand that pressure. That boy didn't execute...he choked. 
Everybody has been under pressure.  But to say banking pressure or law pressure is comparable to free throw pressure is stupid.  Not that it's less or more, but it is different.  You understand your pressure, but you don't understand his. 

As for your "Easy, young one" post.......I'm quite comfortable saying what I said.  No worries here!

jlmnjem

February 11, 2006, 05:12:40 pm #48 Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 05:15:29 pm by jlmnjem

Sure, he choked. I don't think anyone is disputing that. But it's not unforgiveable, and it's by far not the only factor in the loss. To say Sean McCurdy single-handedly cost us the game is simply not true. We were WINNING when he missed those shots, and we were WINNING when Brewer didn't fight over the screen and allowed Mitchell to shoot an uncontested 3-pointer. All of these things, and many others not mentioned, factored into the loss. Pinning it all on McCurdy is just scapegoating.

hogtheball

A banker. That explains a lot.