Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why won't Brewer pass to Townes

Started by jlmnjem, February 08, 2006, 10:47:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jlmnjem

Regardless of what his beef is with Townes, a true leader would leave it in the dorm. The Hogs will never win big games if we don't maximize our inside game. If our minutes leader won't feed our best inside threat, we will continue to lose. Incidentally, right after this photo was taken, Brewer drove the ball to the FT line and got fouled. It should have been another dunk for Townes.

Pig Pumper

Well, Brewer had this injury when he was a kid that messed up his elbow.

That makes it hard.

1836hog

Quote from: jlmnjem on February 08, 2006, 10:47:45 pm
Regardless of what his beef is with Townes, a true leader would leave it in the dorm. The Hogs will never win big games if we don't maximize our inside game. If our minutes leader won't feed our best inside threat, we will continue to lose. Incidentally, right after this photo was taken, Brewer drove the ball to the FT line and got fouled. It should have been another dunk for Townes.

Don't attempt to sir up sh&t for your own enjoyment.  The last thing wordto describe Ronnie Brewer is selfish.  I've watched him play since he was in the 8th grade at woodland junior high and he'll put anything ahead of himself for a win.  It's cute that you can post pictures from the TV and all but don't go out of your way to be an a$$.

Go Hogs!

taintlint

Quote from: 1836hog on February 08, 2006, 11:06:18 pm

Don't attempt to sir up sh&t for your own enjoyment.  The last thing wordto describe Ronnie Brewer is selfish.  I've watched him play since he was in the 8th grade at woodland junior high and he'll put anything ahead of himself for a win.  It's cute that you can post pictures from the TV and all but don't go out of your way to be an a$$.

Go Hogs!

Then he must be frustrated after 26 road losses?

jlmnjem

Quote from: 1836hog on February 08, 2006, 11:06:18 pm

Go Hogs!

How many times did Brewer pass to Townes tonight? You probably didn't even pay attention but I did. The answer is Zero. By the way, I didn't call him selfish. He has no problem passing to anyone else, just not to Townes.

jlmnjem

Quote from: TaintNuttinToIt on February 08, 2006, 11:54:01 pm
how many times does Townes pass out of the box?

I'm not saying Townes doesn't have any room for improvement. Our inside game would undoubtedly be better if there was an inside-out game. But Townes was 5 for 6 from the field tonight so I don't blame him for shooting every time he touched it. Nonetheless, there is no way Ronnie didn't see him on this particular play and, for whatever reason it is, the result is that the team suffers.

_Collin1

Dont let people bash you on this post. I love ALL the Razorbacks and tonight was a tough loss.  At that exact moment you froze the screen....  I thought the same thing.

I still can't figure out why Charles Thomas leads the team in FT percentage and isnt shooting it...  or why Ronnie isnt... what about a senior like Ferguson or Modica on the road to shoot them....

Tough loss.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

jlmnjem

QuoteDont let people bash you on this post.

Oh, I don't let that bother me. It's apparently a personal issue to that one guy, but it's pretty hard to deny the photo evidence. I have a friend who has been complaining about the Brewer/Townes issue since last year. After a while, I started looking specifically for instances where Ronnie pointedly did not pass to Darian. If you look for it, it will become obvious. The play in the photo is by far the most dramatic example I've seen and I thought it was worthwhile to post the pic and see if anyone else has noticed this happening.

Townes definitely needs to bone up on parts of his game. But when a player is so blatantly ignored on the offensive end of the floor, it's hard not to resent that and take on the attitude of, "If you (Brewer) aren't going to pass me the ball on offense, you can get your own damn rebounds on the defensive end of the floor." I don't know that is what Townes is feeling, but I'm drawing from my own experience.

I played center in college, and we had a guard that was a very good player. We didn't like each other, on the floor or off. I shot 58% from the field my senior year, but I can't tell you how many times he passed me by when I was open to force his own shot. I had no problem leaving him on his own under the boards with the trees on the other end of the floor. I enjoyed watching him get pounded. Twenty years later, I see that this was immature, but remember these guys are 20 years old, and alot of 20-year olds are immature. I can certainly empathize with Townes, though, and don't blame him for being upset.

Most people see college basketball as a game, and feel that the players should have some noble sense of loyalty to the betterment of the team. Perhaps they should, but college basketball is big business and it simply becomes a job to some players. The fact is, some players don't enjoy it and are simply using it as a means to an end...finishing school and getting an education. Again, I don't know that this is what Darian is thinking, but I'm just sharing my own experience and suggesting that he might be feeling the same way.

Biggus Piggus

You're dead on with those comments.  It has been hard for Heath to get these guys to play together the last couple of years.  Much longer story there.
[CENSORED]!

hawgjowls

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 09, 2006, 08:48:54 am
You're dead on with those comments.  It has been hard for Heath to get these guys to play together the last couple of years.  Much longer story there.
What is the story there?  does it have something to do with olu?

Razorod

the story is that heath doesn't have control over this team. they play as individuals. heath is not a very strong coach folks, the sooner we accept it and move on the better. but i still say we win the next four.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

hogsanity

Why wont Brewer pass to Townes?  I dont know, because when it goes into Townes it never comes out, unless it is in the hands of the opponents?  While we are asking questions, why does Modica continue to pass up open 3's even though he has been hotter than hades lately?  Why did McGowan start last night.  Our starting lineup consisted of Hill, McGowan, Jefferson Brewer and Modica.  3 of those guys are absolutley no threat to score.  Is it any wonder we got down 10-1.  Why does it seem McCurdy, in those rare moments he plays, is never guarding ANYONE.  Why do teams, not just the Hogs, forget there is a 3pt line when they have a slim lead late.  They ar so scared of giving up a 2 that they completely forget about the 3 pt line. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jlmnjem

Quotebecause when it goes into Townes it never comes out, unless it is in the hands of the opponents

As I said, if our inside game was and inside-out game, it would be better overall. But Townes shoots 53% from the field, which leads the team. If a guy hits better than half his shots, but he doesn't know when he'll get it next if he passes it out, what do you expect him to do?

Brewer is shooting 43%, and only 47% of his 2-point attempts. That sounds to me like an argument, as someone mentioned earlier, to get Townes more shots and Brewer less. Our offense will never develop if our "go to" play is to give it to Brewer and clear out. You can see where that got us in the last 10 seconds of the game last night.

As far as the implication that Townes turns the ball over alot, he averages a turnover every 15.27 minutes. Brewer turns it over every 14.7 minutes. Brewer is clearly the most valuable player on the team. He makes plays. But he also is supposed to be the team leader, and he could make the team better overnight by simply putting his differences with Townes aside when they step on the court, but he apparently is not willing to do that.

fineswine

Townes is truly a vacuum.  The ball goes in and does not come back out.  He's a weak rebounder, and seems to be self-serving (a common theme with this group).   

The McGowan starting thing is strange, but so Heath-like.  Wenbos Mekubu would go several games in a row without playing, and then would magically appear in the starting lineup.  I've never understood this phenomenon.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: fineswine on February 09, 2006, 01:36:04 pm
Townes is truly a vacuum.  The ball goes in and does not come back out.  He's a weak rebounder, and seems to be self-serving (a common theme with this group).  

The McGowan starting thing is strange, but so Heath-like.  Wenbos Mekubu would go several games in a row without playing, and then would magically appear in the starting lineup.  I've never understood this phenomenon.

Townes - Offense
Hill - Defense

Neither is great at the other.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: fineswine on February 09, 2006, 01:36:04 pm

I was not displeased Heath pulled a Biley, but it sure seemed to backfire didn't it.
[CENSORED]!

fineswine

"Pulling a Biley" LOL! The greatest 2 minutes of Ken's life.  "Here son, go guard Grant Hill".  Hopefully, Ken Biley is currently successful in his endeavors.  He always seemed like a good guy.

silvertip

Quote from: jlmnjem on February 09, 2006, 12:06:12 am
Quote from: TaintNuttinToIt on February 08, 2006, 11:54:01 pm
how many times does Townes pass out of the box?

I'm not saying Townes doesn't have any room for improvement. Our inside game would undoubtedly be better if there was an inside-out game. But Townes was 5 for 6 from the field tonight so I don't blame him for shooting every time he touched it. Nonetheless, there is no way Ronnie didn't see him on this particular play and, for whatever reason it is, the result is that the team suffers.

Look at the score. Maybe you can even see the clock on your equipment.

This was during the time when Brewer literally put the team on his back and carried us to the lead.

Your technological skill is impressive. Maybe you should slow down on that & work on other skills.

silvertip

February 09, 2006, 04:37:35 pm #18 Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 04:46:22 pm by silvertip
Quote from: jlmnjem on February 09, 2006, 11:37:36 am
Quotebecause when it goes into Townes it never comes out, unless it is in the hands of the opponents

As I said, if our inside game was and inside-out game, it would be better overall. But Townes shoots 53% from the field, which leads the team. If a guy hits better than half his shots, but he doesn't know when he'll get it next if he passes it out, what do you expect him to do?

Brewer is shooting 43%, and only 47% of his 2-point attempts. That sounds to me like an argument, as someone mentioned earlier, to get Townes more shots and Brewer less.

As far as the implication that Townes turns the ball over alot, he averages a turnover every 15.27 minutes. Brewer turns it over every 14.7 minutes.

There is more to offensive productivity to than shooting %.
Townes shoots a higher % than Brewer, but they are about equal in points/shot at about 1.28---because Brewer hits more 3s and draws a ton of fouls.

So, even though they are equal in points/shot, Brewer's offense is better because he gets his team into shooting the "bonus FTs," while at the same time getting the other team's players in foul trouble.

Yes, the team needs to go inside more. But the people who need to shoot less are Eric & Pookie. Look at these stats from last night:

Eric,Pookie: 9-23;39% FGs; 1.15 pts/shot (4-11 on 3s)
Hill, Townes, Thomas: 9-15, 60% FGs, 1.60 points/shot

Almost half a point/shot more if we go inside. Sure, Pookie had a good night for him, but I combine him with Eric because that is a typical profile of how this team's offense is run. To improve our inside game, we need:
(1) Eric(especially) & Pookie shooting less, and
(2) Townes & Hill getting to the FT line, which is the same as saying quit playing "soft" under the basket.

EDIT:  As far as minutes/turnover. That is a useful stat---for comparing big men to big men, or for comparing guards to guards.
You can't use it to compare guards to big men. Guards handle the ball a lot more & will usually have more TOs, but also a lot more assists. A negative or barely above "1.0" assts to turnover ratio---such as Eric & Pookie have---indicates poor guard play. While a negative assist/TO ratio for big men is typical.

For the Pookie fans out there---he looks a LOT better if you call him a forward, rather than a guard.

fineswine

Don't get on Pookie.  If you want to throw stats, remember 33% from the 3 point line is equivalent to 50% from 2 point land.  Pookie's one of the top field goal percentage guys in the conference, all from a non-post player.

silvertip

Quote from: fineswine on February 09, 2006, 04:41:41 pm
Don't get on Pookie.  If you want to throw stats, remember 33% from the 3 point line is equivalent to 50% from 2 point land.  Pookie's one of the top field goal percentage guys in the conference, all from a non-post player.

First, off, it I want to "get on" any player, I will do so without your permission, thanks. Go tell several hundred posters to quit "getting on" DJ, Townes, or whoever they want to whine about THIS TIME.

I was replying to a poster who was "getting on" Brewer. Is that OK with you? The discussion was about offensive productivity, of which shooting % is just a part. Points/shot is obviously a better measure of offensive skills.

If you look at the games we lost this season, you will see usually one or sometimes both these guards shooting a very poor points/shot average. Dragging the total team offense down---but it doesn't seem to motivate them to shoot less & get more shots for the big men. Pookie last night shot 15 times, which equals the shot total for Townes, Thomas and Hill. He got 20 points and they got 24. He got 1.3pts/shot and they got 1.6. In a game decided by 1 point. So, who do YOU think should be shooting more?

Last night was a very good night for Pookie and a typical night for Eric. Pookie's very good night was typical of what Brewer does almost every game. So returning to the original point---YES, the big men need more shots--but NO, not by Brewer shooting less. We have at least 2 guards that need to shoot less & get more assists. In their fourth year.

fineswine

I suppose with your twisted logic, that you would prefer Thomas and Hill to have more attempts per game than Modica?  Nothing against these guys, but the object of the game is to score more points than the opponent.  I suppose that Dontell taking less than two shots a game is proper guard etiquette by your standards.

jlmnjem

silvertip, you make some good points. Going back to my original point, though, whatever is up between Brewer and Townes is hurting the team. Whether Brewer shoots more or less is not as much the issue as him blatantly ignoring his best offensive big man. We all can eventually find a statistic or ratio to support whatever point we are trying to make. My intent with the turnovers/minute and shooting percentage is simply this: Townes not passing the ball out of the post doesn't hurt the team as much as Brewer not passing it in to him to start with...when it goes in to him, the outcome is positive more often than not. And I would be willing to bet if it went in more often, it would come back out every now and then.

silvertip

Quote from: jlmnjem on February 09, 2006, 06:55:17 pm
silvertip, you make some good points. Going back to my original point, though, whatever is up between Brewer and Townes is hurting the team. Whether Brewer shoots more or less is not as much the issue as him blatantly ignoring his best offensive big man. We all can eventually find a statistic or ratio to support whatever point we are trying to make. My intent with the turnovers/minute and shooting percentage is simply this: Townes not passing the ball out of the post doesn't hurt the team as much as Brewer not passing it in to him to start with...when it goes in to him, the outcome is positive more often than not. And I would be willing to bet if it went in more often, it would come back out every now and then.

Thanks for a logical discussion. If as you say, Brewer will not pass to Townes, then that is a problem. I'm not convinced that it's that big of a problem.

In the picture you show, you say Townes had a sure dunk. I wonder. Townes is either stationary or moving away from the basket. While Big Baby is coming full steam from inside the FT line. Given that Big Baby is quicker than Townes, I can easily forsee a fall away jump-shot at best for Townes. With no foul drawn on the Big Baby.

Further, you say that Brewer drove to the FT line & got fouled. What was the outcome of that? If Brewer hits 2 FTs, then those 2 points would be better than Townes 2, since Brewer also drew a foul on (who?)
As is all too common, Townes did not shoot a FT all night. Ferguson also shot zero FTs in 21 minutes while getting 7 points on 8 shots. 14 shots by Townes & Eric while drawing ZERO fouls.

LSU is not deep. In the 1st half, 3 of their starters got 2 fouls each. None of them fouled out. It would have been HUGE to get the Big Baby fouled out, or sitting a while with 4 fouls & having to play tentative. Since Townes plays like a girl on offense, I'm for letting Brewer drive to the paint and draw fouls.

Townes got 6 shots in 20 minutes, a good pace. It is also Eric's & Pookie's & DJ's job to get the ball to Townes. Maybe Brewer has to get selfish because there are several "black-holes" on this team that won't give the ball up.

So, yeah, I agree there is a problem IF indeed Ronnie won't feed Townes. I think some of that may be because Ronnie needs to take his chances when he gets the ball. Brewer is still our #2 assist man as well.

And I say the excessive shooting by our guards is a more serious problem. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not counting Brewer as a "guard" in this discussion. I don't think he's a forward either. 

bigred7987

the main problem with that freeze frame is up at the bottom left of the screen....

silvertip

Quote from: fineswine on February 09, 2006, 05:31:39 pm
I suppose with your twisted logic, that you would prefer Thomas and Hill to have more attempts per game than Modica?  Nothing against these guys, but the object of the game is to score more points than the opponent.  I suppose that Dontell taking less than two shots a game is proper guard etiquette by your standards.

Actually, my logic is not twisted at all. You are chasing the old wild goose.

At no time did I say that Hill and Thomas should have more shots per game than Modica. I did say that Hill, Thomas AND Townes should take more shots than Modica. And that Eric especially needs to shoot less. And that both of them need to get more assists which is the same thing as feeding the big men.

Townes shoots .530, Thomas .500, and Hill .500 While Modica shoots .488. Thomas shoots a lot more FTs than Modica and shoots a better FT %. In the game last night, the 3 Bigs got 1.6pts/shot and Modica got 1.3. This is typical for a couple of years---with 2 of our guards taking more shots than 3 or 4 bigs & the team's offense suffering for it.

Take 6 shots away from the 2 guards & give them to the 3 Bigs and we would have 3 more points. The drama at the end doesn't even happen. Look at the Bama game & you see the same thing.

That logic is strightforward as can be. It's not the least bit "twisted" when it leaves my computer. Who know's what happens after that?

fineswine

No matter what you say, your numbers are still skewed.  Hill's shooting percentage does not come from the flow of the offense, it is from stick-backs.  Thomas, who is one of my favorites, has his own dilemma...he stuggles with his back to the basket (undersized), and is not a good enough shooter to face up from 15 feet.  Townes, although an outstanding low post scorer, is such a liability in every other facet, he negates the one thing he does well.  Besides, there field goal percentages would be lower if they took more shots.  I concur that the guards should have more assists, but when Brewer and Modica are your only real consistent offensive threats, I think they can be excused to a certain degree.

CiriusPorker

i'm glad some of you guys have dvr..it helps us poor folk see what REALLY happened..thanks..

by the 1836, i like your name..it's thoughtful!

hog caller

i don't want to bash any one but I'm not as high on Ronnie that a lot of folks are. he stands around to much and forces the ball inside when he actually shouldn't. i still don't understand why they don't try to get the ball to Hill more. most teams with a 7 footer keep him so busy he will lose 15 lbs per game. why don't we put him to work on the offensive end. Ronnie i think you are a great young man and no offence intended

JIHawg

Glmgm-I agree with you 100%.  I was screaming for Brewer to throw it to Townes at that moment.  I'll start looking for this schism more.

silvertip

Quote from: hog caller on February 09, 2006, 09:24:21 pm
i don't want to bash any one but I'm not as high on Ronnie that a lot of folks are. he stands around to much and forces the ball inside when he actually shouldn't. i still don't understand why they don't try to get the ball to Hill more. most teams with a 7 footer keep him so busy he will lose 15 lbs per game. why don't we put him to work on the offensive end. Ronnie i think you are a great young man and no offence intended

Yeah, I get aggravated with Ronnie because he seems to "disappear" for long stretches. But I think he might have to conserve energy.

Aside from offense, he works hard on defense & rebounds as much as anybody else. 1st in steals, 2nd in assists, 2nd(?) in rebounds, plus takes a constant pounding from driving to the paint & getting fouled. So, his 38 mins/game is a lot more than most players 38 minutes.

You will see him "take over" a lot of games after a slow 1st half. But then he doesn't quite have it at the end. Might be fatigue. Doesn't make the clutch game-winner. But then again, neither does anyone else.

carhog

Silvertip

You say Pookie needs to pass more.  In last game he lead the team in assists.  Since sec play has started he has a 1 to 1 assist to t/o ratio the same as Brewer.  He is our best shooter from 3 and from the foul line at 43.5% and 81.6 % respectively.  He has taken the 2nd most foul shot behind Ronnie.  Also he is averaging 17.6 pts per game that is also second only to Ronnie.  You say that Thomas is a better shooter from the line and he is 63.6% from the line in Sec play.  Over all for the year he is shooting 71.4% and Jonathon is shooting 70.9% and yes Charles has gotten to the line more but he is really not a better shooter.  I dont think that Pookie or Ronnie need to shoot less as a matter of fact.  If you think that Pookie shoots too much then surely you must think that Ronnie must shoot too much as well.  Ronnie has taken 320 shots and made 137 and Jonathon has taken 248 and made 121.  Anyone can see that Ronnie is shooting a much lower % since you like to use stats.  Also in SEC play the have made the same number of shots and Ronnie has taken 17 more.  Ronnie has gone to the line much more that Jonathon but I think that you will find that Pookie is trying to get to the line more.

Numberhawg

Quote from: silvertip on February 09, 2006, 05:12:48 pm

First, off, it I want to "get on" any player, I will do so without your permission, thanks.

If you look at the games we lost this season, you will see usually one or sometimes both these guards shooting a very poor points/shot average. Dragging the total team offense down---but it doesn't seem to motivate them to shoot less & get more shots for the big men. Pookie last night shot 15 times, which equals the shot total for Townes, Thomas and Hill. He got 20 points and they got 24. He got 1.3pts/shot and they got 1.6. In a game decided by 1 point. So, who do YOU think should be shooting more?

Silvertip, you just can't leave it alone can you.

As you make your points without permission, I will feel free to make mine.

First of all, the thread is entitled "Why won't Brewer pass to Townes" and somehow, someway, you find an opportunity to try and throw Jonathon and others under the bus on a thread that's completely unrelated to them!

Your quote above (thanks for suggesting that I use that feature) talks about your choice regarding "getting on players" when you have told me personally that you hate it when others do that.  However, you just can't stop yourself.

A later quote of yours mentions that Thomas shoots a higher percentage of free throws than Pookie yet you fail to mention that CT's YTD percentage is .714 while JM's is .709, a difference of .005.  In conference play, Pookie is shooting .816 while CT is shooting .636.  Also, while CT has shot more free throws early in the year, it is Pookie who has been more productive in conference playing getting to the line 38 times while Charles has gotten there 33 in conference play.

While again, trying to direct attention where YOU believe it is appropriate you mention that failure of others to pass the ball into Townes ("several black holes")while not citing any specifics, only a destructive general comment.  Do you have any idea what JM's Assist:Turnover ration is in the last 3 games?  It's 4:1.

Finally, the most humorous part of your statistical logic is your reasoning to combine Eric WITH Pookie to achieve your desired result.  You sir, are a person who has your answer predetermined and then creates the logic to support that answer (just as I did above).

My post is not intended to rail on any player but do diffuse your strange attempt to take a thread regarding Brewer and Townes and turn into into an attack on other players...something which you say you dislike, but can't refrain from doing personally.

I can make the statistics say most anything that I want through grouping and combinations.  You can too.  You're not impressed with mine and sir, I don't understand your obsession.

Remember the quote, "There are liars, damn liar and statistics."

hawgjowls

this team will be better off next year without 3 players in particular
d jefferson due to his tentativeness and lack of playmaking abitlity
e ferguson due to his tunnel vision on the court and just not a very good bb player
j modica all this boy can or will do is shoot the ball, plays very little defense and nil on the boards, has been better lately with the latter but that is all. i'm also tired of watching him drive into the lane and either fumble the ball away or get it blocked (due to his rather short verticle leap)
with the addition of a true pg (ervin) and a better all around sf (weems) this team will be leaps and bounds better plus a pf in washington that WILL rebound the sky may be the limit next year.

carhog

j modica all this boy can or will do is shoot the ball, plays very little defense and nil on the boards, has been better lately with the latter but that is all. i'm also tired of watching him drive into the lane and either fumble the ball away or get it blocked (due to his rather short verticle leap)

Jonathon has the highest verticle of anyone on the team.  Many people talk bad about him now but wish we will have him next year. 

PennHOG

In the last losing seconds who was that that Brewer could have passed to in stead of force that shot?  I remember there was someone down there trying to get open and Brewer never looked at him.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

hogfankb

Quote from: carhog on February 10, 2006, 11:36:42 am

Jonathon has the highest verticle of anyone on the team. 

HUH? If he does it sure doesn't show.

hawgjowls

February 10, 2006, 01:57:33 pm #37 Last Edit: February 10, 2006, 02:02:29 pm by hawgjowls
Quote from: carhog on February 10, 2006, 11:36:42 am

Jonathon has the highest verticle of anyone on the team.  Many people talk bad about him now but wish we will have him next year. 
what is modica's vertical?  who on the team is the largest? player and vertical leap please.

carhog

If I am not mistaken Pookie has the highest verticle on the team and it is either 36 or 38. 

hogfankb

Quote from: carhog on February 10, 2006, 02:00:50 pm
If I am not mistaken Pookie has the highest verticle on the team and it is either 36 or 38. 

Wow. don't really think so but i don't have any evidence otherwise except from what i have seen in the games so you may be right. I would like to see some hard numbers for the whole team.

My guess is the top verticle is probably Jefferson.

jlmnjem

Quote from: PennHOG on February 10, 2006, 01:46:59 pm
In the last losing seconds who was that that Brewer could have passed to in stead of force that shot?  I remember there was someone down there trying to get open and Brewer never looked at him.

With about 10 seconds remaining, Modica had a smaller man one on one on the block, then Thomas got open rolling to the basket after setting a pick for Brewer.

twistitup

Jefferson might have the highest verticle- if he could only dribble
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

jlmnjem

Although Townes did get the ball from Brewer twice in the Auburn game (once on an inbounds play and again on a blind pass past three defenders), plays like this continue to amaze me. You can't convince me that Ronnie doesn't see him.

Wess Moore

I just watched the game again to watch for Ronnie dissing Townes.  I didn't see it.  In fact Ronnie gave Townes the ball twice.  Once in the first half for a short jumper.  The second time in the second half when Ronnie whipped the ball to Townes for a layup that he missed but was fouled.
A few notes...
A) Townes didn't play a lot... 18 minutes.
B) Ronnie wasn't in the game for a potion of Townes playing time
C) On some cases Townes wasn't posing up or wasn't open when Ronnie had the ball.
There was one time when Ronnie missed a wide open Townes.  The entire arena saw it, but Ronnie didn't. I don't think Ronnie didn't give it up because there is something going on between them.
I will be watching in future games to see if there is something to it, but as of now I'm not buying it.

chiefsfan

February 12, 2006, 11:18:43 pm #44 Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 11:20:15 pm by chiefsfan
QuoteThere was one time when Ronnie missed a wide open Townes.

the announcer even pointed that one out...

I dont think Brewer is intentionally not hitting townes however...But this board isnt the only one to mention it within the last 2 games...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

mpeacock

It doesn't seem to be that Brewer won't pass to Townes, but that he refuses to make any post-entry pass from the wing out of our half-court offense. I have been complaining of this all season. If we are going to win some of the bigger upcoming games, Townes has got to receive the ball on offense more in the second half.