Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WGC-Mexico

Started by ricepig, March 01, 2018, 10:33:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 05, 2018, 09:17:29 am
I bought one of the better push carts 3-4 years ago, one of the 3 wheel jobbies...........

and have yet to use it even once........lol

Mainly because the courses (Greystone, or CCofA) I usually play around here only charge the one fee which includes a cart. Sure they will let you walk if you want but you're still paying the same price as those who use the carts. So unless I can walk and pay less, then screw it. I suppose if I ever try to play the public courses in LR/NLR  such as Rebsamen or Burns Park......or maybe Southern Oaks in Jacksonville I can use the push cart there. All three of those are pretty easy for walking.

I bought one of the Clicgear 3 wheel deals and it serves my purpose well.  I'm a member at PV in Fayetteville and we have a two tier membership plan.  I pay about $160 a month but if I pay a year in advance I only pay for 11 months and the last one is free.  They have another plan where it includes unlimited cart and range ball usage but it's another $70 or so a month more and PV is an easy course to walk and I need the exercise.  Another good deal about PV is it's easy to skip holes or start on different ones. 

The most I've ever played in one day was at the old Ft Smith CC when my brother and I walked 63 holes one day and threw our bags across our backs and took off.  It was one hot mother but I was also a helluva lot younger and in much better shape back then. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

EastexHawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 05, 2018, 10:23:44 am
What a major pus s to quit after that 9 holes at the end.  haha

It was a 9 hole course but you're right, that was a lot of walking even for an 18 year old.  I think darkness was the main reason we quit, though.  I worked doing manual labor at that course and we got free golf when we weren't working.

Wildhog

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 05, 2018, 11:43:45 am
It was a 9 hole course but you're right, that was a lot of walking even for an 18 year old.  I think darkness was the main reason we quit, though.  I worked doing manual labor at that course and we got free golf when we weren't working.

I worked at the Lions Club in El Dorado growing up, and we'd play ALLLLLL day on our off days.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

EastexHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on March 05, 2018, 12:22:18 pm
I worked at the Lions Club in El Dorado growing up, and we'd play ALLLLLL day on our off days.

Years ago my sister was a manager of a Beall's store.  Beall's/Stage was one of the sponsors of whatever the minor league version of the Senior Tour was at the time.  I'm thinking maybe it was something like the Sunshine Tour but I don't remember.  Anyway, she had something like four passes to play as amateur partners in an event in Marshall, Texas.  She asked if I wanted to play and if I knew anyone else who would play.  The pro-am was the next day.

I asked the guy who is my fishing partner right now.  I hadn't played in a month and I wasn't really all that good...maybe mid to upper 80s on average...but I was better than he was.  We decided we needed to practice so we went out and played 36 that day.

We showed up at the tournament and the two pros in our group were Mouse Bruner and Jim Pinkham.  Oh, my goodness.  To say that we played terribly would be an understatement.  We were slicing like Ginsu knives that day.  So were the other two amateurs who were actually worse than we were.  On one tee Pinkham asked something about how much we played and my buddy said we had played 36 the day before.  The guy asked, "36, huh?"  My buddy said, "Yeah, but it was 36 BAD." 

On about our 16th hole, after watching all the slices all day, we got to a short par 4 that doglegged pretty sharply to the right.  Pinkham turned to the four of us and said, "I don't even want to see any of you setting up and TRYING to hit a fade."  It was brutal.

userpick

Quote from: Wildhog on March 05, 2018, 12:22:18 pm

Rumor has it, you quit practicing your senior year.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 05, 2018, 09:30:43 am
I remember walking 63 holes one day in high school.  The first 54 holes of bad golf just weren't enough.
The most I've ever walked was 54 holes in one day.

Anyone else ever walk Granada at the Village? That's a trek.

onebadrubi

Quote from: userpick on March 05, 2018, 03:59:54 pm
Rumor has it, you quit practicing your senior year.

Oh burn. 

Use to come down there in high school and play a tournament every year

widespreadsooie

Am I the only one who thinks Thomas made an effort to not make that par putt in the playoff?

userpick

Quote from: onebadrubi on March 05, 2018, 09:36:14 pm
Oh burn. 

Use to come down there in high school and play a tournament every year

Oh I'm just messing with him. I've known him for a while. He focused on "other things" his last year.

ricepig

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 05, 2018, 09:42:14 pm
Am I the only one who thinks Thomas made an effort to not make that par putt in the playoff?

Yes, you are.

onebadrubi

Quote from: userpick on March 05, 2018, 10:10:08 pm
Oh I'm just messing with him. I've known him for a while. He focused on "other things" his last year.

I figured, but couldn't pass it up.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ricepig on March 06, 2018, 07:29:20 am
Yes, you are.

I think it was more a combination of a sorry lie and the guy with the camera stepping in front of him and almost stepping on his ball and he was a bit rattled.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 06, 2018, 07:52:15 am
I think it was more a combination of a sorry lie and the guy with the camera stepping in front of him and almost stepping on his ball and he was a bit rattled.

This probably makes the most sense. The putt had no chance from the start and Thomas had a very nonchalant reaction to it. It wasn't a hard putt at all.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 05, 2018, 09:42:14 pm
Honestly, I thought about it as well, but its not logical.  The win is probably about half million or more difference.  Plus, I believe 550 Fed Ex points, plus OGWR points.  He wants to be the number one player in the world, and a win here may have moved him to two.  I doubt he lost on purpose. 

EastexHawg

Ah, a conspiracy theory.  Now the tournament wrap-up is complete.

The make percentage on that putt was well under 50%, but maybe the guys who had tried it earlier intentionally missed it, too.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 06, 2018, 08:47:23 am
Ah, a conspiracy theory.  Now the tournament wrap-up is complete.

The make percentage on that putt was well under 50%, but maybe the guys who had tried it earlier intentionally missed it, too.

Chill. It was just a thought.

EastexHawg

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 06, 2018, 12:23:56 pm
Chill. It was just a thought.

Why would you even think it?  It has never crossed my mind that a player at that level has tried to miss a putt.  If the idea was to let Mickelson win for sentimental reasons why did he bother to shoot 64 Sunday and 62 the day before?

As someone already pointed out, Thomas is #2 in the world and wants to be #1.  Winning a WGC would be a good step in that direction.

widespreadsooie

Quote from: EastexHawg on March 06, 2018, 12:37:51 pm
Why would you even think it?  It has never crossed my mind that a player at that level has tried to miss a putt.  If the idea was to let Mickelson win for sentimental reasons why did he bother to shoot 64 Sunday and 62 the day before?

As someone already pointed out, Thomas is #2 in the world and wants to be #1.  Winning a WGC would be a good step in that direction.

The putt didn't have a chance off the club and he didn't show one ounce of agony. My initial comment was made in jest. I understand the ramifications of finishing second instead of first and that it would make very little sense to throw a match. The effort on the chip and putt, followed by the reaction, seemed quite abnormal for him.

Boarcephus

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 06, 2018, 12:46:54 pm
The putt didn't have a chance off the club and he didn't show one ounce of agony.

I think the reason for his "nonchalant" reaction was he knew from the get go that no way in hell was the putt going in and the party was over.  Had it been as close as Phil's first putt, he'd have been on his knees pounding the green in agony. 

kingofdequeen

Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 06, 2018, 12:46:54 pm
The putt didn't have a chance off the club and he didn't show one ounce of agony. My initial comment was made in jest. I understand the ramifications of finishing second instead of first and that it would make very little sense to throw a match. The effort on the chip and putt, followed by the reaction, seemed quite abnormal for him.

it's over.  WTH else was he supposed to do?   it wasn't that hard a putt in grand scheme of things (other than it was for scrillions of dollars), and he shouldn't have been in that position to begin with.  Lost match on tee box. 

he didn't get too pissed at the putt b/c it wasn't the putt that lost it.

PonderinHog

Quote from: kingofdequeen on March 06, 2018, 04:06:43 pm
it's over.  WTH else was he supposed to do?   it wasn't that hard a putt in grand scheme of things (other than it was for scrillions of dollars), and he shouldn't have been in that position to begin with.  Lost match on tee box. 

he didn't get too pissed at the putt b/c it wasn't the putt that lost it.
Probably more pissed at that cameraman. 

kingofdequeen

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 06, 2018, 06:14:09 pm
Probably more pissed at that cameraman. 

#karma for throwing dude out last week for daring to cheer against him.