Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Archie Goodwin

Started by crabeyes, October 25, 2012, 01:02:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 14, 2014, 10:22:10 am
Because you're posting in a thread about him.

A post on a message board is about as far as I'll go.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawg Red

Quote from: Wildhog on May 14, 2014, 10:22:57 am
A post on a message board is about as far as I'll go.

Understood.

But it's at least at a minimal level of caring.

twistitup

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 14, 2014, 10:20:30 am
Or he could have come back, not blown a knee out, and been a lottery pick.

We can play this game all day long, but he still made a questionable decision. If we were talking about him netting 10 million, I'd be with you. But we're talking about a million bucks that's honestly going to get spent pretty quick between cars, houses, clothes and jewelry. I just feel like people are arguing in favor of a relatively short-term, marginal gain over a certainly obtainable long-term gain.

Also, who has their career derailed in college nowadays anyway?

Interesting article:

http://deadspin.com/marcus-smart-did-the-right-thing-and-look-where-it-go-1546498463
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Hawg Red

Quote from: twistitup on May 14, 2014, 11:12:59 am
Interesting article:

http://deadspin.com/marcus-smart-did-the-right-thing-and-look-where-it-go-1546498463

Smart should have went pro last year. That was the consensus before this past season even happened. Would have been the #2 overall pick. No need to come back. Not even in the same boat as Archie Goodwin.

As for the notion that players don't improve from freshman to sophomore year -- look at Otto Porter, Victor Oladipo, Michael Carter-Williams (Rookie of the Year), Alex Len, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Trey Burke, etc. just from this last year's draft. Horsesheet.

twistitup

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 14, 2014, 11:19:35 am
Smart should have went pro last year. That was the consensus before this past season even happened. Would have been the #2 overall pick. No need to come back. Not even in the same boat as Archie Goodwin.

As for the notion that players don't improve from freshman to sophomore year -- look at Otto Porter, Victor Oladipo, Michael Carter-Williams (Rookie of the Year), Alex Len, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Trey Burke, etc. just from this last year's draft. Horsesheet.

It's a risk vs reward scenario - there will always be detractors.

Hawg Red

Quote from: twistitup on May 14, 2014, 11:26:10 am
It's a risk vs reward scenario - there will always be detractors.

Agreed.

But my point is that Archie was a fringe 1st rounder at best. At 18 years old, I think you owe it yourself to play another year in school and try to move up into a more stable and lucrative position. If you're already 2-3 years into your college career, I don't fault guys for going pro with no assurances of being a first rounder or even drafted.

Maybe Archie makes something out of this and gets an opportunity. But it doesn't look good from a numbers standpoint right now. Maybe someone gets traded or injured and he gets in there. I don't know. Phoenix seemed like a good spot for him before the season because they were supposed to be a cellar dweller and the logic was he'd get to develop all season. Then they ended up almost making the playoffs and they have 3 really good guards ahead of him. D-League can only do so much for a guy.

Corkscrew Johnson

8 Wheels is no joke.  I went to a birthday party there in 85 and saw a boy with a rat tail steal some nachos

outlawhogeywells

Did he have the option to come back to Kentucky?  I don't think Cal was going to renew his scholarship

Hawg Red

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on May 14, 2014, 11:59:09 am
Did he have the option to come back to Kentucky?  I don't think Cal was going to renew his scholarship

That's entirely different discussion. It's possible he was not welcome back. That makes the decision easier but not entirely solid.

However, seeing how many guys Cal let come back for next season (and Alex Poythress was just as much in Cal's doghouse as Archie), I think he would have been welcomed back.

PorkRinds

I was listening to Stoerner, Craft, and Ruskin this morning and they were talking about it.  It was hilarious.  Ruskin was saying "What the heck does a millionaire basketball player have going on at the skating rink?  He should be hanging out with other rich people'.  Stoerner's classic response was "Guarantee you, without a doubt, it starts with an F and ends with an E.  He got that text saying we're going to be at the roller rink and was like BET, who's going with?".  It was amazing.  I was cracking up while driving to work.

GS99

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 14, 2014, 12:01:09 pm
I think he would have been welcomed back.
to sit on the bench behind the freshmen and totally ruin his draft stock.

Hawg Red

Quote from: GS99 on May 14, 2014, 12:06:59 pm
to sit on the bench behind the freshmen and totally ruin his draft stock.

Or not. No way to know. I think he's every bit as talented as James Young. Just didn't play on as good of a team as Young so more was put on him (thus he got more criticism).

Nosboar Accubond

This will be cleared up in 10 - 12 days...

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 14, 2014, 12:06:53 pm
I was listening to Stoerner, Craft, and Ruskin this morning and they were talking about it.  It was hilarious.  Ruskin was saying "What the heck does a millionaire basketball player have going on at the skating rink?  He should be hanging out with other rich people'.  Stoerner's classic response was "Guarantee you, without a doubt, it starts with an F and ends with an E.  He got that text saying we're going to be at the roller rink and was like BET, who's going with?".  It was amazing.  I was cracking up while driving to work.
What starts with an F and ends with an E?

TheOtherColombia

MountieDawg

Does anyone know the odds of 5 star athletes from Little Rock being arrested at some time?

Archie
Dyer
DMAC
SEC!

Hawg Red

Quote from: MountieDawg on May 14, 2014, 04:38:40 pm
Does anyone know the odds of 5 star athletes from Little Rock being arrested at some time?

Archie
Dyer
DMAC

Tenpenny.

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: Breems on May 13, 2014, 02:56:26 pm
He is skating on thin ice.
The wheels are starting to come off.

Big Papa Satan

Wonder what occurred to Archie's noggin that required a big bandage?

twistitup

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on May 14, 2014, 07:19:41 pm

Skating rink fall

PorkRinds

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Big Papa Satan on May 14, 2014, 07:19:41 pm

Probably got fouled by one of them Roller Rink Females.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

rusvegashog

I find it humerous that I If I was to start a thread about Mitch Mustain or Rotnei Clarke it would be darn canned to General Sports about as quick as you could say hurry up no huddle, yet this thread about a guy who has zero connection to the Razorbacks whatsoever is still in Jump Ball. I'm not sweating it in the least I just think its a bit amusing.

secfan30

Quote from: Karma on May 14, 2014, 02:17:04 pm

Fat a@@ big girl for Archie

Oh wait that was Dyer...

PonderinHog

Quote from: Karma on May 14, 2014, 02:17:04 pm
In this particular instance I'd go with "femme fatale."

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 14, 2014, 09:14:21 am
I get what you're saying, but look at it this way -- after taxes and agent fees, 2 million dollars isn't what it sounds like. Definitely not enough to live on for very long. He's found himself in a situation where he's behind two All-Star caliber guards in Goran Dragic and Eric Bledsoe, as long as a 3rd double-digit scorer in Gerald Green (P.J. Tucker also gets minutes in the backcourt). The Suns are suddenly a team looking to move into the playoffs. They're going to start thinking about adding veteran players going forward instead of giving time to developing players. Archie was a borderline 1st round leading up to the draft, and many felt he'd fall into the 2nd round. It's very reasonable to argue that he made a bad decision, whether it be leaving Kentucky early or even going to Kentucky in the first place. Granted, we're using total hindsight here, but still -- he'd be in a much better position, theoretically, if he had entered the draft at a more opportune time.

I don't even care about Archie, but I will say it's crazy what Hornacek did with his guards in one season. Bledsoe, Green, Dragic showed major improvement. Dragic all of a sudden became a 20 and 6 guy? I'm not a Suns fan, but I felt Horny deserved Coach of the Year.

That is all, sorry for intruding on anyone's Archie obsessions..carry on.

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 15, 2014, 10:29:54 am
I don't even care about Archie, but I will say it's crazy what Hornacek did with his guards in one season. Bledsoe, Green, Dragic showed major improvement. Dragic all of a sudden became a 20 and 6 guy? I'm not a Suns fan, but I felt Horny deserved Coach of the Year.

That is all, sorry for intruding on anyone's Archie obsessions..carry on.

Definitely COY. That Suns team was projected to be as bad as any other team in the league. The seeding rules that will be in place in 2-3 years were in place this year, they would have made the playoffs. Remarkable. All this with their top 5 pick, Alex Len, essentially not playing.

Delicious~Dreams

twistitup

Fertile Female

Hey Archie....I need to tell you something, you might want to sit down

acey33

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 13, 2014, 02:39:11 pm
Disorderly conduct. The cops outside wanted him to stop cussing and being rowdy, & he didn't comply fast enough for their liking. Silliness.

On his part...if you walk like a duck and quack like a duck

rusvegashog

Wow my first deleted post on Hogville. Couldn't be prouder.

Foshodo

so the arkansas tatt on his chest didnt save him?

dhornjr1

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 15, 2014, 10:39:04 am
Definitely COY. That Suns team was projected to be as bad as any other team in the league. The seeding rules that will be in place in 2-3 years were in place this year, they would have made the playoffs. Remarkable. All this with their top 5 pick, Alex Len, essentially not playing.
Len looks like a major bust. He said the game was too fast for him and plans to work hard over the summer but...yikes.

We'll see if the Suns keep free agent Bledsoe and if they can land someone like a Kevin Love who I would say is all but gone from Minnesota at this point.

If the Suns were in the East and played that schedule, they likely could've been the 3 seed....or better?

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 16, 2014, 01:12:04 pm
Len looks like a major bust. He said the game was too fast for him and plans to work hard over the summer but...yikes.

We'll see if the Suns keep free agent Bledsoe and if they can land someone like a Kevin Love who I would say is all but gone from Minnesota at this point.

If the Suns were in the East and played that schedule, they likely could've been the 3 seed....or better?

Never been high on Len. But I'll cut him some slack since he was injured most of the year. Never understood what the infatuation was with him, though. Not big on a guys like that lack fire.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 16, 2014, 01:36:24 pm
Never been high on Len. But I'll cut him some slack since he was injured most of the year. Never understood what the infatuation was with him, though. Not big on a guys like that lack fire.
Agree completely. Last year's draft was so weak that I can somewhat understand it. A top 5 pick in this year's draft will be held in much higher esteem.

While we're at it, I'll point out I hope the Heat can somehow find a way to win it all this year. I'm just not feeling it at the moment.

Your "Rockettes" should've been better, man (although they statistically beat Portland, and just couldn't close out games).

Hawg Red

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 16, 2014, 04:18:17 pm
Agree completely. Last year's draft was so weak that I can somewhat understand it. A top 5 pick in this year's draft will be held in much higher esteem.

While we're at it, I'll point out I hope the Heat can somehow find a way to win it all this year. I'm just not feeling it at the moment.

Your "Rockettes" should've been better, man (although they statistically beat Portland, and just couldn't close out games).

Hard for me right now as a Rocket fan. I hate Dwight Howard and James Harden so much. And the front office wants to make a run at Carmelo Anthony?? I'm being tested as a fan right now.

husker71

I (and Bill Simmons) think that those cheap ass Thunder trading Hardin for basically nothing IMHO, was stupid.  Great article on Grantland about the window closing on them.

Arazorbackguy1

I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: husker71 on May 17, 2014, 01:26:08 pm
I (and Bill Simmons) think that those cheap ass Thunder trading Hardin for basically nothing IMHO, was stupid.  Great article on Grantland about the window closing on them.
In the NBA it's not always about being cheap, though. With the salary cap and pricier fees for luxury tax, it's just not feasible to have 3 (arguably) top 10 guys on your team. Lebron took a pay cut to go to Miami. KD, Westbrook, Harden weren't quite so willing.

SuperSid4Ever

Ran into the guy last night at a Burger King in NLR.  Very pleasant young man to talk to.

Arazorbackguy1

Cool beans. I saw him sitting the bench in PHX last season.  Seemed nice enough, but didn't want to distract him from getting water for starters.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

HAWG MAFIA

Is he still on NBA roster?

SuperSid4Ever

Yes, I believe he is still on the Phoenix roster.  As I said before, very polite young man.

I don't hate on him because he went to UK.  He did what he felt was best for himself, although I would have rather seen him wearing a Razorbacks uniform, and I told him as much.

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 10h10 hours ago

Archie Goodwin got in a fight on the sidelines of his NBA game tonight after his teammate attacked him: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/nba-cats/archie-goodwin-gets-in-a-scuffle-on-the-sideline/ ...  (Vine of incident at link)

QuoteDuring a timeout in tonight's game against the Warriors, Markieff Morris shoved and choked former Wildcat Archie Goodwin while he was sitting on the bench.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: jbcarol on February 11, 2016, 07:00:50 am
Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 10h10 hours ago

Archie Goodwin got in a fight on the sidelines of his NBA game tonight after his teammate attacked him: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/nba-cats/archie-goodwin-gets-in-a-scuffle-on-the-sideline/ ...  (Vine of incident at link)

Sounds like Markieff was channeling his inner Latrell Sprewell.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

schmeck

February 11, 2016, 11:40:40 am #897 Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:39:07 pm by schmeck
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14757505/markieff-morris-archie-goodwin-phoenix-suns-get-shoving-match-out

SIAP

I really could care less how a former Kentucky Wildcats NBA career goes, but I did find it interesting the he can't get along with current team members.  Now, Morris has so much negative pub lately and most teammates can't stand him, but when you fight with each other during a game, its going to be noticed by cameras.
Deny everything and make counter-accusations.

CallMeAl

And to think this guy won the Heisman Trophy twice.....just disgraceful!
Hog since birth.

Wild Bill Hog