Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Saban was our coach...........

Started by online-with-swine, November 10, 2013, 10:48:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Athog

Quote from: Kevin on November 10, 2013, 06:08:50 pm
Hogville would want him fired

Yeah that was what I was thinking. He would not win pretty enough.

thefisher

QuoteIf Saban was our coach...........

1. The Hogs would currently have a 4-6 record
2. The Hogs would not be going to a bowl game this year
3. The same geniuses on Hogville that rip on CBB would be also be calling for Saban to be fired immediately. They would also insist that he be replaced by someone that had a modern football style as opposed to this old man stuff Saban runs.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

redeye

It takes a year to absorb most systems, even if you have the RIGHT players. The time is less for spread offenses, but so is the payoff.

If you don't have the right players, then you have to recruit them first. We saw this with Petrino and we're seeing it with Bielema.

I don't actually think our talent level is bad, but it's not great and, most importantly, it's not the right talent for Bielema's system.

SPAL

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on November 10, 2013, 12:51:18 pm
If Coach Saban were here he would be finding athletes to fit into his system.  The one thing he requires most of all is  players who fit into the "plan".  Been very successful at doing so.

Call it the Nick Saban doctrine of recruiting. It is meticulous, methodical and relentless in every single aspect of the recruiting process.

"Saban's model is based on what I would call a series of critical factors," said ESPN's national director of football recruiting, Tom Luginbill. "Those factors are some traits like athletic ability and a player's personality. They measure their conduct [off the field] as well. It's a whole set of parameters position by position when they recruit. It's very similar to the [Bill] Belichick mold of fitting guys into spots or positions that work best for them."

Belichick, Bill Parcells and other player pro directors all influenced Saban and his recruiting approach. It's a five-phase process that first begins with identifying needs of your current personnel based on attrition two to three years down the line out of a five-year player cycle.

Second, Saban sets a standard at each position, identifying key characteristics within each position with the offensive and defensive systems that he runs. Each prospect who is recruited, depending on the position, has to meet certain measurables (height, weight, speed, etc.), among other criteria. Rarely will Saban deviate.

"They take some heat publicly because there could be a big-time guy that may not meet their critical factors," Luginbill said. "It doesn't mean he's not a great player. It just means he's not the right fit for Alabama. You know if Alabama takes a corner under 5-foot-11 he better be so good in the other critical areas he meets because of how they run their scheme. They would have to be so convinced. There are undersized linebackers that can run all around college football. They can be great players and big recruits but they may not meet Alabama's height, weight standard for the position."

Thirdly, he watches the tape and identifies the standards of that particular recruit and the position he plays.

Next, the real evaluation process begins with the new recruits. Names of prospects are put into a system and lots of tape is evaluated. The area coach gets first look, then it's passed on to the position coach, then to the coordinator and finally to the head coach.

The fifth and final phase is a nonstop 12-month cycle of looking at the recruiting board and talking about all the player's critical factors. Some of those factors include size, speed, character and academics, but other things are brought into consideration as well. Have they been on campus? Do they have a connection to Alabama or has a family member attended the school?

Over the course of a recruiting cycle, the staff will meet roughly four times a week between the months of February and August and a few times a week for the duration to discuss the recruiting board. It's fluid and there's always movement of recruits depending on information uncovered -- positive or negative. Movement on the board can also be impacted based on what happens with players already on the team, including injuries or late bloomers, etc. It varies day to day and meeting to meeting.

You also have to find out what's important to each recruit. What about their character? Are they a student in the classroom? Are they a student of the game? Do they love football or just like to wear the uniform? To be honest, recruiting is more like the NFL because it has been so intensive. We are pretty darn thorough."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/news/story?id=6403943

This is obviously the right response to the post. I wondered why people have so much trouble understanding then I realized its a lot like algebra. They just don't see there being a point in getting it because it didn't effect their major, or in this case, agenda....so they just gave up and started mouthing off about it. It's easier to criticize something you can't grasp than it is to look at it and try to understand.

KCRazorbackfan

Quote from: MiHogsMi on November 10, 2013, 10:55:46 am
I know, I know, I know.  I've heard 3 years,  then 3-4 years and most recently conventional wisdom is saying 3-5 years.

BTW...I really get tired of hearing we don't have "talent on the field".  We do.  Quit bashing the players.

People are bashing the players when THEY SHOULD BE QUESTIONING the logic of the coaching staff.  Every day we read (in different posts just said a different way} that the players don't fit the current system; they may not, but they are talented players, why don't the coaches play to the strengths of the talented players they have rather than trying to re-invent the wheel?
Life took me to Central Florida, but I'll always be a Razorback.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: KCRazorbackfan on November 10, 2013, 07:01:17 pm
People are bashing the players when THEY SHOULD BE QUESTIONING the logic of the coaching staff.  Every day we read (in different posts just said a different way} that the players don't fit the current system; they may not, but they are talented players, why don't the coaches play to the strengths of the talented players they have rather than trying to re-invent the wheel?

Do you think a running attack plays to the strength of Collins and Williams?  What defensive scheme would you run that would allow our back seven to play better?  I am curious to know what system you think would provide winning ball games with the talent present today.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

redeye

Quote from: KCRazorbackfan on November 10, 2013, 07:01:17 pm

I suspect we're already doing a lot of this and it's some of our problem. For example, our corners likely play back because our secondary lacks the skills to play man-to-man. On offense, we're probably throwing more passes because our line isn't developed enough to dominate an entire game. That our passing game is struggling only makes it worse.

We could try to emulate what the players know (i.e. Petrino's system), but Bielema isn't Petrino. He knows this and probably thinks it would be more valuable to use the time getting players familiar with his system, so next year they'll react without thinking. Likewise, if Petrino had been hired at Wisconsin, he'd almost certainly be installing his system, rather then making use of Wisconsin's talent for a dominate running game.

Bardicer

Quote from: MiHogsMi on November 10, 2013, 10:55:46 am
I know, I know, I know.  I've heard 3 years,  then 3-4 years and most recently conventional wisdom is saying 3-5 years.

BTW...I really get tired of hearing we don't have "talent on the field".  We do.  Quit bashing the players.

There's talent, then there's TALENT.  Do you think a sumo wrestler would be a good ballet dancer?  Not saying anyone lacks talent (or doesn't) on the team... but it appears their talents aren't suited for the style being implemented?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSS1zh45Fts

Closest thing I could find... warning, don't view while eating or drinking.

HF#1

When they talked about Lake being our starting MLB, we were in for a long few seasons.  Poor guy has been third string his entire career and then bam, he's a starter. 

LB, S, CB, WR, are all positions we lack depth and talent.  3-5 year rebuild, we are.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Bardicer on November 10, 2013, 09:33:55 pm
There's talent, then there's TALENT.  Do you think a sumo wrestler would be a good ballet dancer?  Not saying anyone lacks talent (or doesn't) on the team... but it appears their talents aren't suited for the style being implemented?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSS1zh45Fts

Closest thing I could find... warning, don't view while eating or drinking.

It's more that our talent isn't suited for the SEC.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15