Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

They Need to Let Him Go Today

Started by NaturalStateReb, November 05, 2017, 10:19:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalStateReb

There's no more point in waiting. Yesterday was a win, but it wasn't a victory. For those who said they didn't want to play ASU, they were right--ASU would kill this team right now. Arkansas nearly lost to a team that A-State blew out 51-17.

There's nothing more that Bielema can do here. The buyout doesn't drop again before the regular season is over. Can him now, and you're at least in the market fairly early. It also lets him get in the market.

There's no point in waiting. Everyone knows it's over, it's just a matter of time. Keeping him around is the functional equivalent if staying married for the kids. They need to pull his cork today.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

ricepig

You just want him gone because he beats your Landsharts....

hoghearted

There is nothing to be gained by not announcing he is done at the end of the season. If Long announced it, it would quiet the fan base and inspire some hope for the future.

He needs to do it sooner than later.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: ricepig on November 05, 2017, 10:21:41 am
You just want him gone because he beats your Landsharts....

Can you imagine how much worse his record would be without Ole Miss?  I'd argue that Ole Miss is the only thing keeping him in brownies right now.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 05, 2017, 10:19:39 am
There's no more point in waiting. Yesterday was a win, but it wasn't a victory. For those who said they didn't want to play ASU, they were right--ASU would kill this team right now. Arkansas nearly lost to a team that A-State blew out 51-17.

There's nothing more that Bielema can do here. The buyout doesn't drop again before the regular season is over. Can him now, and you're at least in the market fairly early. It also lets him get in the market.

There's no point in waiting. Everyone knows it's over, it's just a matter of time. Keeping him around is the functional equivalent if staying married for the kids. They need to pull his cork today.

Too much sense.

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 05, 2017, 10:24:11 am
Can you imagine how much worse his record would be without Ole Miss?  I'd argue that Ole Miss is the only thing keeping him in brownies right now.

Thus, my point, haha.

rzrbackramsfan

Agree, I was all for letting him finish the year before CC, now he should be fired, things are tailspinning quick.

Dark Helmet Hog

One would think Long would want to get all this negative spin under control as soon as possible. Continuing a tailspin can't be good for anyone.

MuskogeeHogFan

I would suggest that if Bielema is actually already gone at the end of the season, the word among select Agents is already out. Eventually it will filter back to us. Long won't do it during the season because that doesn't set a positive precedent for any potential future HC's. Long will probably allow Bielema to resign on his own. And that too will eventually be leaked. Long can look like he made his decision before the end of the season (which would probably be true) so he looks like a strong enough AD to get the dirty job done, yet compassionate enough to treat a HC with respect publicly.

That's just my opinion of how this will be handled.
Go Hogs Go!

The Pulse

November 05, 2017, 10:31:43 am #9 Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:54:52 am by The Pulse
He need to be gone today.

Tusks

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on November 05, 2017, 10:29:30 am
One would think Long would want to get all this negative spin under control as soon as possible. Continuing a tailspin can't be good for anyone.

It's good for Jeff Long.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tusks

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on November 05, 2017, 10:30:35 am
I would suggest that if Bielema is actually already gone at the end of the season, the word among select Agents is already out. Eventually it will filter back to us. Long won't do it during the season because that doesn't set a positive precedent for any potential future HC's. Long will probably allow Bielema to resign on his own. And that too will eventually be leaked. Long can look like he made his decision before the end of the season (which would probably be true) so he looks like a strong enough AD to get the dirty job done, yet compassionate enough to treat a HC with respect publicly.

Golf claps to you.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

oldhawg

And the appropriate way to handle it IMO.

HoggyCat

There's a reason LONG hasn't fired him...
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HoggyCat

BS.  If a coach is worried about being fired in the middle of a season, then he doubts himself. And we don't need that.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

theFlyingHog

Firing him today does no good. Look at Florida.

toxichog

Waiting three weeks will not hurt in hiring the next coach at all.......and firing a college coach in the middle of a season does not make your program look good.  You don't have to wait three weeks to start back channel conversations to gauge a candidates interest ( or not ).  That way you are not starting from scratch or behind the competition in hiring a coach. 
There is nothing to be gained from parting ways today instead of at seasons end........
Florida may have been a little different........as the Coach exhibited some bizarre behavior and made crazy statements, which allowed them to save some buyout money. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 05, 2017, 10:42:02 am
BS.  If a coach is worried about being fired in the middle of a season, then he doubts himself. And we don't need that.

You either meant to quote someone else or completely misunderstood what I posted.
Go Hogs Go!

solitons

fire him at the end of season, CBB would have 3 more losses on his resume.

phadedhawg

Firing the coach today vs tomorrow or next month makes little difference to me.  This season is over for us we are just playing out the side.

buldozer

Sometimes you just have to rip the bandaid off and this is one of those times. Negotiate a settlement with him and let both parties get on with their futures now!

Atlhogfan1

I would have no issue with a buyout agreement being made today and Rhoads becoming interim.  The reason I suggest Rhoads is our D is not good and there is no chance he would be considered the next replacement.  He is an emotional coach who the players like and may would play hard for the last 3 games.  It is time to part ways. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

porkrindjimmy

He doesn't care. He thinks Bret will pull up on the controls....just like he thought Pelphrey would.

Judy had to be forced to fire Pelphrey...and then had to be forced to hire Mike. He isn't gonna show Bret the door by himself. Ain't gonna happen.

PRJ

porkrindjimmy

Quote from: buldozer on November 05, 2017, 01:02:20 pm
Sometimes you just have to rip the bandaid off and this is one of those times. Negotiate a settlement with him and let both parties get on with their futures now!

And lay down and have a good bleed.....

PRJ

farmhawg

Quote from: tusked on November 05, 2017, 10:32:43 am
It's good for Jeff Long.
That is all it's about, Jeff Long. He doesn't give a crap about this program.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

EulessHog

Quote from: farmhawg on November 05, 2017, 01:13:10 pm
That is all it's about, Jeff Long. He doesn't give a crap about this program.

It is about Jeffie and Bert... sitting in a tree...
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

lakecityhog

I honestly don't know the correct way to handle this, but I do believe that JL remaining silent is causing damage to both the fan base and the coaching staff. I also know that his continued references to "win-at-all-cost" programs and "doing-things-the-right-way" gives fans the idea that he is happy with the situation.

If he truly is satisfied with BB and the BOT has to step in things will get really ugly and the University doesn't need that. His integrity campaign will reflect badly on the University if he is basically forced out over BB. Regardless of what he thinks it would also damage him in the long run. Not very many schools would consider hiring an AD that is comfortable with a 40% win rate.

I do believe that the way that this whole situation is handled by JL will tell the tale of his career. Surely he is smart enough to get out in front of this fiasco if for no other reason than self preservation!

ricepig

Quote from: lakecityhog on November 05, 2017, 07:18:59 pm
I honestly don't know the correct way to handle this, but I do believe that JL remaining silent is causing damage to both the fan base and the coaching staff. I also know that his continued references to "win-at-all-cost" programs and "doing-things-the-right-way" gives fans the idea that he is happy with the situation.

If he truly is satisfied with BB and the BOT has to step in things will get really ugly and the University doesn't need that. His integrity campaign will reflect badly on the University if he is basically forced out over BB. Regardless of what he thinks it would also damage him in the long run. Not very many schools would consider hiring an AD that is comfortable with a 40% win rate.

I do believe that the way that this whole situation is handled by JL will tell the tale of his career. Surely he is smart enough to get out in front of this fiasco if for no other reason than self preservation!

The BOT isn't going to "step in", that isn't how the chain of command works.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 05, 2017, 10:25:26 am
Agree, I was all for letting him finish the year before CC, now he should be fired, things are tailspinning quick.

Same Here. It's time.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

lakecityhog

Rice, are you saying that keeping BB is solely JL's decision? If we wind up 4-8, which is a very real possibility, and JL decides that injuries played a large enough role to convince himself to keep BB thru 2018 that the BOT will sign off on it?

I always kinda thought that those higher up "in-the-chain-of-command" were there to make sure that those below them were handling their job correctly and to maybe provide "some assistance" when required????

If you are indeed correct, we are truly screwed! BB will be back next year and with that schedule win maybe 7 games and we are truly reliving HDN II!!!!!

STLhawg

It also lets him get in the market.
I don't think Arkansas getting in the market early really gets them anything.  Florida only did so because their coach gave them a reason to fire him with cause and avoid the buyout (but the instead used it to leverage a much lower figure to make the split amicable).  Now if BB wants to leave early and agrees to a lower buyout then by all means let him go early!  Otherwise make him finish the year because you paying him to do that either way.

hotdog hog

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 05, 2017, 10:40:25 am
There's a reason LONG hasn't fired him...
You are correct! He hasn't been mathematically eliminated from a bowl yet! I believe he will be, but I think he's giving him that 6-6 lifeline.

Athog

Sounds like a stupid plan and giant overreaction! I am not saying keep him but pulling the trigger now would be stupid.

Hawgzinbowlz

JL needs to work out a negotiated settlement and avoid the drama which would surround the firing of CBB before the season ends.

CBB is NOT a fit at Arkansas...Along with his preconceived notions of what will, and won't, work in the SEC.

He doesn't get it and is getting paid very well for on the job training.

Negotiate a parting of ways JL.

" GO HOGS "

HoggieStyle

okrazorback

They need to let him go and hire Gus. I do not say Gus is the best. but I think he is better than anyone that has been mentioned here except Steve Spurrier and I don't think we can get him. Fire him now.

Hoggish1

There's no more point in waiting.

The point in waiting is to play out the last three games while moves behind the scenes are made that benefit all parties.  Obviously you can't see that.  You want to FIRE somebody, but that's often not necessary.

moses_007

He does need gone right now.  That would give us a jump start on A&M and Tennessee at the very least.

Hoggish1

Quote from: moses_007 on November 05, 2017, 08:58:22 pm
He does need gone right now.  That would give us a jump start on A&M and Tennessee at the very least.

No it wouldn't.  No coach is going to take a job while his team is still playing.  His agent may make the deal but it is behind the scenes and agreed to without an announcement while the season is still playing out.

Deals are done but announcements wait till the last second has ticked off of the regular season.  This is football 101.

hawg1221

I do wonder if CBB's status when coming to the UA will have a big effect on getting rid of him. Will he get another year, let him resign, or actually fire him. I would say if he was a no name coach coming in here, it would make JL's job easier. Just wondering. 

grayhawg

Quote from: hawg1221 on November 05, 2017, 09:06:14 pm
I do wonder if CBB's status when coming to the UA will have a big effect on getting rid of him. Will he get another year, let him resign, or actually fire him. I would say if he was a no name coach coming in here, it would make JL's job easier. Just wondering. 
He will probably resign with golden handcuffs like HDN. ;)

okrazorback

Like Houston Nutt. Nutt is a better coach than Brett

grayhawg

Quote from: okrazorback on November 05, 2017, 09:18:11 pm
Like Houston Nutt. Nutt is a better coach than Brett
But not a better person.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on November 05, 2017, 01:12:27 pm
He doesn't care. He thinks Bret will pull up on the controls....just like he thought Pelphrey would.

Judy had to be forced to fire Pelphrey...and then had to be forced to hire Mike. He isn't gonna show Bret the door by himself. Ain't gonna happen.

PRJ
I agree PRJ. The bro love is just too strong with those two.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

sigpooie

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson