Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

good 1st game

Started by hogsanity, November 11, 2016, 09:54:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

much better outing than the 1st game last year, against a much better team too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RazorPiggie

Thankfully we shot 50+% and they only shot 36%. Got a lot of improvement to make.

PorkRinds

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 11, 2016, 09:55:51 pm
Thankfully we shot 50+% and they only shot 36%. Got a lot of improvement to make.

Gotta find the dark cloud in an otherwise silver lining.  ;D

RazorPiggie

Quote from: PorkRinds on November 11, 2016, 09:56:47 pm
Gotta find the dark cloud in an otherwise silver lining.  ;D

It's known that I'm not a big MA guy (mainly because his recruiting up until recently has been absolutely terrible). But I'd say this regardless who the coach was.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: RazorPiggie on November 11, 2016, 10:09:01 pm
It's known that I'm not a big MA guy (mainly because his recruiting up until recently has been absolutely terrible). But I'd say this regardless who the coach was.

Fair assessment, but this would be true of just about every other team after the first game.

Bigmac2

As with any Richardson/Anderson team the rebound disparity will rear its ugly head. The ability to not get sucked into the paint and getting back out to the perimeter shooters while on defense showed itself. Dustin has the tangibles to be really really good in this system. Macon showed flashes as shooter but I was impressed by his ability to flash inside as well as Barford. Kingsley can take over offensively if necessary. I believe the second half they decided to use him more in the paint. Was surprised to see the turnover/steal numbers stay even with Fort Wayne until the final 7 minutes. Overall good first game however have a lot of things to work on but the difference this year is they also have a lot of things to work with.
Go Hos

JIHawg

They outrebounded us four times to make a basket one trip down the floor.  We have to rebound better, but what else is new.

I like the way this team attacks the basket.  We do have some shooters.  The junior college boys will take a while to get comfortable, but the talent is there.

Lots of fouling tonight.  That has to get better. 

We struggled on offense at times to get into a rhythm.  Hopefully time will take care of that.

A lot of teams will not be able to stop Moses.  We just have to remember he's there.

poloprince

Last season a game when Moses scores 9 points and Dusty only makes one three pointer they don't win I know that. 1-0  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

Bigmac2

Quote from: poloprince on November 11, 2016, 10:31:45 pm
Last season a game when Moses scores 9 points and Dusty only makes one three pointer they don't win I know that. 1-0  :razorback:

I honestly believe we have the supporting cast to step up as more options. They are young and this is their first D1 game although not opponent but I believe the Jucos will only get better as time goes on as well as the transfer.

Knot2brite

This years team seems to be quite a bit more athletic ability than what we have had before. The new guys took a little while to get into the flow of the game but when they played well they scored quickly. Having bigger more physical guard helped the pressure defense. Got to learn to put a butt in the gut on rebounds and quit just reaching for the ball. Overall it was a typica first game for a team full of guys that have only been together for a couple months. Plus is was a win and that is always good
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 11, 2016, 09:54:29 pm
much better outing than the 1st game last year, against a much better team too.

You don't want to get ahead of yourself, but they look like a different team than anything else Mike has put on the floor, including BP's team.. not saying...

hobhog

I was there and thought the new guys played scared early then settled down. Refs were horrible. Hope we find another shooter or two or this is going to be an average team. Dusty and Moses will need help. Lots of possibilities....

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hobhog on November 11, 2016, 10:46:41 pm
I was there and thought the new guys played scared early then settled down. Refs were horrible. Hope we find another shooter or two or this is going to be an average team. Dusty and Moses will need help. Lots of possibilities....

thanks for insight.. hoping Macon and Jones pick up some outside slack, along with better mid range from others.... we lost Antwon, I think we're stronger with the shot...

sickboy

Macon had a nice first game. Like the pieces that are in place. This is a much more versatile team from last year. Looks like we're only going to get better the next few seasons.

WhenPigsFly

Jerry Palm has this team and UTA projected in the NCAA Tournament.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: sickboy on November 11, 2016, 10:59:19 pm
Macon had a nice first game. Like the pieces that are in place. This is a much more versatile team from last year. Looks like we're only going to get better the next few seasons.

runich

Was there tonight also...a few observations:

Refs were absolutely horrible from my vantage point (maybe the tv shows a better view...).  Mostly one sided also.  Hard to get in a rhythm with those refs.

Our defense looked horrible on quite a few trips....allowing baseline penetration was the worst....we have to do a better job stopping that penetration.  3 point defense looked bad the whole game.

On offense guys don't move much....this has been something I've noticed with all of MAs teams.  On offense we don't have movement ....too many times we have guys just standing around ....not rolling to the ball....not setting picks.

The new guys looked pretty good...they look athletic as well.  Thomas is going to be a beast for us...Macon looked amazing.  wasn't as impressed with barford but think he was having an off night perhaps.

IPFW looked good....they will win a lot of games this year....they had a couple of very nice shooters and #55 was very good.  Thank goodness they didn't shoot free throws well....

Officiating was VERY bad....I know I already mentioned that....but it was bad.

Overall I was expecting to see an awesome team, based around all the hype and I wasn't overly impressed (sadly).  Hopefully they will gel better and get the first game woes behind them and rock some worlds this season....I can still totally see that happen....I definitely was able to see the potential that those guys have.

Rawker

This was a game that might have only been won by one other CMA Hog team.  They are definitely in the "gelling" phase, and there will be rebounding and perimeter defense issues that will cost games, but I'll stick with the positive and say that the pieces are much more versatile, and that won this game where last year's and other CMA teams might have stumbled.  Personally I think that Macon will be one of the few real "Hawgball" players that Anderson has had so far (Qualls was one other one), and he showed it already by making a shot right off the bat, then immediately stealing the ball and putting in another.  That was 1990's stuff.  I initially thought that Thomas looked on the surface like the unspectacular role player, but he made three technical low-post moves that only good players are consistent with, and they came at clutch times, so even he is the kind of upgrade that might have been the difference in many close games last year.  Thompson seems to have improved confidence, and that will also add to the difference.  I think we all know his progression will continue to be this steady, slow climb, but he'll do something great this year, like Watkins did last year when he hit that buzzer beater.  Watkins didn't save the season with that, but Thompson might save this season with something.  He's growing into that potential.  Barford was definitely shell-shocked (maybe by the sorry crowd), but good things seemed to happen when he was out there, and I think we all know he's a strong dude that just needs that switch-on game to get his confidence going.  I think the Hogs have the full team now where a grand moment - like THE Qualls dunk, or a Watkins buzzer beater - won't just be a fun moment ultimately meaning nothing, it will mean going to the tourney or changing the seed.  If you think a positive assessment after a Fort Wayne game is "getting ahead of myself," I strongly disagree. When all is said and done, the Dons are probably more likely to be in the tourney than the Hogs, given their conference and their quality, so this win was a good one, over a team that was 8-wins and a postseason better than the Hogs a season ago.  But now it's in the books, so let's go get win number 2!!!

ShadowHawg

They shot 36% because we ran their legs out from under them by halftime. We also did a much better job on d in the second half making nearly every shot a contested shot. They still got some open looks, but that will happen from time to time.

I was extremely impressed with Kingsley's passing tonight. Thompson's ability to finish around the rim. Thomas kept a lot of balls alive on the offensive end.

They also played with better chemistry than I expected. There are more shooters on this team than MA has had since returning. There are guys that we can isolate and just go get a bucket when we need one. Hannahs has added getting to the line to his game.

They also played with poise after IPFW took a lead in this game. They didn't panic and forced very little. Surprising from a group that hasn't played together. This team has a chance to be a salty bunch by February.

Letsroll1200

This team is developing chemistry on the offensive end of the court but struggled with defense in the first half.

1. Play through Kingskey when the game slows down. Kingskey play in the second half was the difference.

2. Barford is not one and done. He had some bone head plays for his first game but that 3 ball that he hit to extend the lead was critical.

3. Macon and Hannah! When these guys get going on the same night is going to be a scary duo. Kudos to Beard for his solid play on both ends. Thought he played with confidence and under control.

Kevin

good first game against a quality mid major. they are no cupcake.

rebounding is always going to be an issue, so no sense in looking for a change in that area.

the big flaw to me was keeping the ball out of the paint on the dribble. the defense was constantly in a scramble mode because of dribble penetration
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Kevin on November 12, 2016, 06:55:09 am
good first game against a quality mid major. they are no cupcake.

rebounding is always going to be an issue, so no sense in looking for a change in that area.

the big flaw to me was keeping the ball out of the paint on the dribble. the defense was constantly in a scramble mode because of dribble penetration

I was at the game. That was an issue in the first half, not so much in the second half. We are much improved as a rebounding team in terms of our bigs. The guards are going to have to become a part of that equation and it will get better.

azhog10

Also lucky they were horrid from the free throw line.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: azhog10 on November 12, 2016, 11:07:54 am
Also lucky they were horrid from the free throw line.

Hannah and Macon where 3-12 on the 3 ball and we still won.

songofthesword

Maccon might very well be one and done

Breems

Quote from: songofthesword on November 13, 2016, 01:14:03 am
Maccon might very well be one and done

Seems like Macon is producing at the level we expected from Barford and vice versa. According to preseason talk, their stats are reversed. What's going on?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

The Hogfather

Macon should not be one-and-done.  In fact, no JUCO should ever be.

Also, don't forget CJ Jones didn't play.  I think he will provide good scoring for us at times.

HF#1

2nd chance points were disturbing. However I enjoyed how we dominated points in the paint. Fort Wayne is a good basketball team. I was happy they were able to give us a good test.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Breems on November 13, 2016, 07:48:12 am
Seems like Macon is producing at the level we expected from Barford and vice versa. According to preseason talk, their stats are reversed. What's going on?

I think Barford simply isn't forcing the issue. He doesn't have to be the stud like he was at the JUCO level. I think he is focusing on being more of a pass first point guard that CMA wants. I bet he still has some big games when needed.

Big Nasty 34

I didn't think the new guys, especially Macon played scared. He had big shots early on.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: The Hogfather on November 13, 2016, 08:01:11 am
Macon should not be one-and-done.  In fact, no JUCO should ever be.

Also, don't forget CJ Jones didn't play.  I think he will provide good scoring for us at times.

Barford is busy facilitating the Offense instead of putting up 20-25 shot a game.  CJ Jones is looking more to fill it up once he returns (instant Offense)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Biggus Piggus

Fouls were Arkansas 29, Fort Wayne 24. Fort Wayne got 40 free throw attempts to Arkansas's 24.

It was one-sided. The Hogs are going to have to deal with this all season. Refs anticipate stuff. They know Arkansas is "supposed" to be the target of these officiating changes.
[CENSORED]!

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 13, 2016, 08:32:26 pm
Fouls were Arkansas 29, Fort Wayne 24. Fort Wayne got 40 free throw attempts to Arkansas's 24.

It was one-sided. The Hogs are going to have to deal with this all season. Refs anticipate stuff. They know Arkansas is "supposed" to be the target of these officiating changes.
I don't disagree. However the refs let a lot of IPFW fouls go bc we had a small advantage. To me when we have put them into the bonus as fast as we did I want the refs to call everything. Don't give us an advantage when they are already shooting two at the line for every foul. That's my problem with officials. They anticipateone way, -'d then let the advantage play when I want the fouls called on them too. Especially when we were shooting free throws better.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 13, 2016, 04:06:40 pm
I think Barford simply isn't forcing the issue. He doesn't have to be the stud like he was at the JUCO level. I think he is focusing on being more of a pass first point guard that CMA wants. I bet he still has some big games when needed.

This.

HognitiveDissonance

I do think Fort Wayne will be a good team.

Ultimately this Hog team will go as far as the jucos develop along.
Barford looked totally lost at times, but did make a couple nice plays at the end. I won't say anything yet, cause I remember a guy named Thurman having a terrible first game against Memphis then going out to Arizona and getting 28 in a huge road win. I don't expect that from Barford, but I do expect him to get more comfortable as we go along. I usually don't expect too much from jucos until their second year, but one can hope for an exception to the rule.

On the other hand, Macon had a nice game, good stat line. He looked more comfortable in the flow right away.

Cook looked lost.

Hannahs and Kingsley I hope average 30 min each. They're obviously the guys that are missed the most when they're not on the floor. At times it seemed no one was capable of scoring or getting a rebound otherwise.

Rebounding is never a strong suit, but it was particularly bad in this game. That has to improve somewhat.

Beard I think will get back to his freshman, solid play level. He never regained anything after his trouble last year, but he had a very nice game Friday. I expect him to continue that.

Big Nasty 34

I think some of Barford's "Lost" look was being new to the system. We had 3 new starters and rotations and switches weren't too sharp. It will take some time to be as cohesive as we need to be to really compete. It doesn't help that Dusty jumps every time his man looks at the rim putting us in a lot of scramble situations.

hogsanity

Quote from: runich on November 11, 2016, 11:43:16 pm

Refs were absolutely horrible from my vantage point (maybe the tv shows a better view...).  Mostly one sided also.  Hard to get in a rhythm with those refs.

Officiating was VERY bad....I know I already mentioned that....but it was bad.

Oh good already starting with the refs stuff, even in a win.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

I was there and thought the new guys played scared early then settled down.

Macon scored like 7 of our first 9 points.

Hawg Red

Do agree that Barford did not look comfortable, but the stat line was solid. 4/9 from the field, 10 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists. That's what we're all calling an off game. That's good. When this kid gets comfortable in his skin, he's going to be hard to handle.

I loved this game from Moses Kingsley. I loved it because we didn't give him the ball and he still put his stamp on the game. That one play where he absolutely hounded the Fort Wayne player for a loose ball.....that had to be intimidating. This kid is such a nice guy off the court but he is scary on the court. He's mean. He's aggressive. He has a snarl to him. I hope we run more offense through him tonight. Guy had a near triple double without being the focal point. I think he's going to find a place in the NBA somehow.

Loved Beard, Trey and Manny off the bench. Beard is the X-factor for this team. He's got to be a tide-turner for us when things aren't going well. He did that in the first half.