Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jacorey Williams ready to rock for Blue Raiders

Started by FineAsSwine, October 31, 2016, 07:36:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Jacorey Williams was recently interviewed during CUSA's basketball media days. He gave some interesting comments regarding his time off from basketball, his time at Arkansas and his appreciation for his new opportunity.

I think he could have a really nice end to his basketball career there. The Blue Raiders knocked Tom Izzo and Michigan State out of the dance last year and they have a great shot at making the tourney again this year.

Hope we don't run into them in the dance. Jacorey would be chomping at the bit for a shot at the Hogs.

https://youtu.be/nNldqbfk1Kk

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Carl Lazlo

Ha put his no free throw making shot at the line and crash the boards. 

HOGINTENNESSEE

Dr. Starcs

Hope his teammates are ready to crash the boards.

98hogs

3kgthog

I'm just waiting for his first shoe toss of the season. It's sad that that moment was his Hog highlight (or lowlight).

Little Lady Back

Quote from: 3kgthog on November 01, 2016, 04:45:01 am
I'm just waiting for his first shoe toss of the season. It's sad that that moment was his Hog highlight (or lowlight).

Will never forget that. That's one of those "he did not just do that" moments...
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Pistol Pig Maravich

I not scare of Jacorey one bit!!  He is a strong candidate for worst bball player in hog history. Nothing good ever happened when he had his hands on the ball.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Pistol Pig Maravich on November 01, 2016, 10:01:35 am
I not scare of Jacorey one bit!!  He is a strong candidate for worst bball player in hog history. Nothing good ever happened when he had his hands on the ball.

We needed him last year big time, much better record with him behind or alongside Moses

Pistol Pig Maravich

Can't dispute we needed support behind Moses, but man....he was tough to watch. Always looked so confused, clumsy.

FineAsSwine

He looks a little more muscular now. If he could reign in some that athleticism and add some fluidity to his game, along with an improved shot, he could be pretty good for that team. They have some kid from Arkansas who played with Malik Monk starting at PG this year and have some other nice pieces coming back from what was a pretty good team last year.

Will be interesting to see if Jacorey has learned from his mistakes and if he will be able to take his game to the next level mentally, which is something he didn't accomplish here.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

Big Nasty 34

Jacorey would've fit well with some of those early Stan Heath teams. Good compliment to Rashard Sullivan and Larry Satchell lol

navyhog24

I was so glad when this guy got kicked off the team. How this dude got a scholarship offer still boggles my mind

Biggus Piggus

The quote from Kermit Davis (who is an excellent coach):

"I think one guy ... JaCorey Williams, has made a big jump. He had a productive redshirt year. I love the way his game has improved. I think he will tell you he has matured on and off the court in a great way. He has really established himself as a good leader on our team. JaCorey has been maybe the most consistent practice player we've had to date in fall camp."

MTSU player Reggie Upshaw, asked which player had made the most improvement:

"I would have to say JaCorey (Williams). I know he didn't play last year, but just seeing how he practiced last year and how he's practiced this year he brings a lot more intensity to practices. He's always one of the loudest guys and you can always count on him to uplift the team."

Quote from JaCorey Williams:

"First of all, I want to give credit to Coach Davis and our Athletic Director, because they gave me a second chance. I think getting away from the game was good for me, because I got to see another side of myself. I'm used to playing under the lights, my whole life I've never been away from the game, but sitting on the sidelines gave me time to look at myself in the mirror and grow up. I also got to work on my game. I had a lot of flaws in my game and working with a guy like Coach Davis, he pays attention to a lot of details, so as far as working on my game and paying attention to details, sitting out was the best thing that could've happened to me."

"I don't think I shot the ball as well as I could have at Arkansas. Obviously, like I said, sitting out helped me a lot. It helped me really expand my game because now I can hit the open three. Before, I was just a face up mid-range player, which I still am, that's the strength of my game, but as far as working on myself, I can hit the outside three now which helped me."

Williams was asked about what he took from Arkansas that he could use at MTSU:

"The intensity that I play with. We played with intensity for the whole game at Arkansas. When I got here I felt like the guys played with a lot of intensity, but I felt like I could help them open up a little bit and play loose. At Arkansas, that's what we were known for. We were really known for playing loose up there. Playing with a mixture of intensity and paying attention to detail under Coach Davis, you can't go wrong with that combination."
[CENSORED]!

skinnypig

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 01, 2016, 11:38:10 am
I was so glad when this guy got kicked off the team. How this dude got a scholarship offer still boggles my mind
I feel that is the risk in recruiting "athletes" sometimes you get a Qualls and other times you get Jacorey a who is gifted athletically but never develops the ball skills to go with it

PonderinHog

Biggus Piggus

Kermit Davis also said Williams had gained 15 pounds in MTSU's weight program.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: skinnypig on November 01, 2016, 12:30:19 pm
  I feel that is the risk in recruiting "athletes" sometimes you get a Qualls and other times you get Jacorey a who is gifted athletically but never develops the ball skills to go with it

Some guys need more hands-on coaching than others do.
[CENSORED]!

azhog10

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 01, 2016, 12:37:43 pm
Some guys need more hands-on coaching than others do.
Some guys need an extra year to actually focus on the fundamentals that they are lacking in. Jacorey was spending too much time fighting bouncers than working on his game.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: azhog10 on November 01, 2016, 12:55:15 pm
Some guys need an extra year to actually focus on the fundamentals that they are lacking in. Jacorey was spending too much time fighting bouncers than working on his game.

I think it's mostly this.

1hawgballer2

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 31, 2016, 07:36:40 pm
Jacorey Williams was recently interviewed during CUSA's basketball media days. He gave some interesting comments regarding his time off from basketball, his time at Arkansas and his appreciation for his new opportunity.

I think he could have a really nice end to his basketball career there. The Blue Raiders knocked Tom Izzo and Michigan State out of the dance last year and they have a great shot at making the tourney again this year.

Hope we don't run into them in the dance. Jacorey would be chomping at the bit for a shot at the Hogs.

https://youtu.be/nNldqbfk1Kk

Comments-
I remembered receiving feedback from a friend who's nephews were up there attending CMA basketball camp.both reported that summer 2015 there were two players that stood out in the razorbacks basketball scrimmages. Hannah who rarely misses shooting 3's and Jacorey that was a beast, unstoppable down low that did not miss 3-15ft out. I remembered thinking what that team might have looked like with Bell, Kingsley and Hannah surprised play plus Durham and another strong scoring piece Williams at 6'8 that could defend as well, NCAA postseason play...I started to reach out to Mike about Williams summer play before he was suspended from the team at that point it was all water under the bridge

hogwood

One of my favorite moments from the 14-15 season is a fast break during the SMU game. Durham is coming down the floor and at half-court spots a flashing Williams and he lobs that ball up there for a ferocious alley-oop throw down by Williams. It was so energetic. I was stunned. It was our first game as a ranked team in a long time and we were throwing it down on the road! So awesome.

gogamer

Quote from: hogwood on November 01, 2016, 06:11:41 pm
One of my favorite moments from the 14-15 season is a fast break during the SMU game. Durham is coming down the floor and at half-court spots a flashing Williams and he lobs that ball up there for a ferocious alley-oop throw down by Williams. It was so energetic. I was stunned. It was our first game as a ranked team in a long time and we were throwing it down on the road! So awesome.

Yeah but that flying tennis shoe.....

FineAsSwine

Richard Davenport

No one more surprised with his issues at Arkansas than me. His mother and stepfather are really good people. I bet his mom lit into him when was kicked off the team. She's a no nonsense type.

Glad to see him mature.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I've heard he's developed a signature move called the B Slap
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

sigpooie

He would have helped in a tough way we needed in that year. Good for him, always seem like a nice kid.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Letsroll1200

We had to depend of Keaton Miles and at times Manny Watkins to play the 4 position. Jacorey would have made a huge difference for the hogs last season.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 03, 2016, 07:41:37 am
We had to depend of Keaton Miles and at times Manny Watkins to play the 4 position. Jacorey would have made a huge difference for the hogs last season.

Agreed, home vs. Auburn last season comes to mind.

Drop the Mike

navyhog24

niels_boar

I hope Jacorey has a good season.  Every coach has strengths and weaknesses.  Hence, it can help a player to see another system.  That may be why so many transfers take off at new locations, or maybe they just got impatient at their first stop until natural progression set in.  That said, a lot of similar things were said by Mickelson.  No evidence ever materialized on the court.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: niels_boar on November 04, 2016, 11:44:19 am
I hope Jacorey has a good season.  Every coach has strengths and weaknesses.  Hence, it can help a player to see another system.  That may be why so many transfers take off at new locations, or maybe they just got impatient at their first stop until natural progression set in.  That said, a lot of similar things were said by Mickelson.  No evidence ever materialized on the court.

It sounds like Williams was improving before he had to exit. Anybody would benefit from being coached by Kermit Davis, though.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 04, 2016, 01:01:15 pm
It sounds like Williams was improving before he had to exit. Anybody would benefit from being coached by Kermit Davis, though.
And Kermit Washington could certainly help him with his sucker punch...

husker71

I just got my Blue Ribbon basketball guide last week   and I like this Blue Raider team    he really fits in with his skills   good luck to him

FineAsSwine

Quote from: husker71 on November 07, 2016, 01:55:16 pm
I just got my Blue Ribbon basketball guide last week   and I like this Blue Raider team    he really fits in with his skills   good luck to him

I think they will be better than last years team and that team last year was pretty good. Hope they make the tourney and make a little noise, just as long as its not against us.

hawkhawg

Quote from: husker71 on November 07, 2016, 01:55:16 pm

Their starting point guard is a true freshman from Arkansas, Tyrik dixon.

Biggus Piggus

Williams started in MTSU's first exhibition, had 14 points (5-6 shooting), 6 rebounds, 5 assists in 18 minutes.
[CENSORED]!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 07, 2016, 06:57:48 pm
Williams started in MTSU's first exhibition, had 14 points (5-6 shooting), 6 rebounds, 5 assists in 18 minutes.

By comparison Nick Babb, who is the Vin Ascolese of Jump Ball, had the following stat line against DII University of Sioux Falls the other night:

FG-FGA 2-6; 3-Ptr   0-0; FT-FTA  1-2; Reb  4 (1 off 3 def); Total Points 5; Assists   3;
TO   1; Steals   3; Mins   24.

Only 5 points in 24 minutes against a DII school. Didn't seem to be very aggressive, only got to the line  one time.

poloprince

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 08, 2016, 07:30:15 pm
By comparison Nick Babb, who is the Vin Ascolese of Jump Ball, had the following stat line against DII University of Sioux Falls the other night:

FG-FGA 2-6; 3-Ptr   0-0; FT-FTA  1-2; Reb  4 (1 off 3 def); Total Points 5; Assists   3;

Only 5 points in 24 minutes against a DII school. Didn't seem to be very aggressive, only got to the line  one time.

Some will swear him not playing is the reason the Hogs didn't get that 28th win.
$PoLoPrInCe$

FineAsSwine

Quote from: poloprince on November 08, 2016, 07:57:13 pm
Some will swear him not playing is the reason the Hogs didn't get that 28th win.

3rd year sophomore and still looking at being the 8th or maybe even the 9th option off of the bench. Not sure how this was an improvement in his situation. That is what is so frustrating about some of today's youth. If things don't go your way, right away. Take your ball and go home.

Jacorey Williams was a much greater loss for our team and he will have a much bigger impact for the Blue Raiders this season than Babb will have for the Cyclones.

Now, his current coach is saying "of all the kids on the team, Babb has the most pro potential". Some have said that about C.J. as well but I don't see C.J. having to develop for three years before having more impact than what Babb is having on Iowa State's rotation in his third year.

Little Lady Back

LMAO!! Too funny.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

azhog10

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 09, 2016, 08:02:12 am
3rd year sophomore and still looking at being the 8th or maybe even the 9th option off of the bench. Not sure how this was an improvement in his situation. That is what is so frustrating about some of today's youth. If things don't go your way, right away. Take your ball and go home.

Jacorey Williams was a much greater loss for our team and he will have a much bigger impact for the Blue Raiders this season than Babb will have for the Cyclones.

Now, his current coach is saying "of all the kids on the team, Babb has the most pro potential". Some have said that about C.J. as well but I don't see C.J. having to develop for three years before having more impact than what Babb is having on Iowa State's rotation in his third year.
Maybe CMA was right. He's a hell of a practice player. But when he gets on the floor he goes into a shell.

FineAsSwine

21 points in 23 minutes in his first game. Off to a great start.

WorfHog

I had multiple page arguments after he left arguing that it wasn't much of a loss. Mike haters were using it as their cudgel of the week though so...

FineAsSwine

Quote from: WorfHog on November 11, 2016, 09:34:56 pm
I had multiple page arguments after he left arguing that it wasn't much of a loss. Mike haters were using it as their cudgel of the week though so...

6 points in 21 minutes off the bench tonight.

hogwood