Started by MGB1229, October 22, 2016, 10:32:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MGB1229

At least they were new to me.

Darius Hall

Khalil Garland

Hog 5 workout

MGB1229

Anybody heard if we are recruiting Franklin anymore?  He is the perfect fit for us. Freakish

azhog10

I always thought one of the knocks on Henderson was his athleticism. He looked way more explosive than Perry. Obviously he was going harder but he had plenty of bounce.

MGB1229

Quote from: azhog10 on October 22, 2016, 11:01:43 am
I always thought one of the knocks on Henderson was his athleticism. He looked way more explosive than Perry. Obviously he was going harder but he had plenty of bounce.

I had heard that as well, but he looks to be the most athletic of the bunch to me. Pretty effortless. 

hogwood

Darious Hall looks like a MAN! Looks strong and dominant.

Garland looks like he can get to the hoop at will.

Henderson can fly!!!

And Franklin looks sick! We are about to be loaded on wings though. He would be a good option for the 4th spot this class if we decide to use it.

poloprince

Quote from: azhog10 on October 22, 2016, 11:01:43 am

I remember some saying that, but I told them Henderson has major hops and Quick jumping ability.
$PoLoPrInCe$

MGB1229

Quote from: hogwood on October 22, 2016, 11:44:01 am

Man he looks good.  Smooth and athletic.  Great handle and the shot is coming along. 

azhog10

Quote from: hogwood on October 22, 2016, 11:44:01 am

Garland looks like he can get to the hoop at will.

Henderson can fly!!!

And Franklin looks sick! We are about to be loaded on wings though. He would be a good option for the 4th spot this class if we decide to use it.
Also, rankings don't agree but how is Hall lower ranked than Garland??????

azhog10

Quote from: poloprince on October 22, 2016, 12:14:44 pm
I remember some saying that, but I told them Henderson has major hops and Quick jumping ability.
I almost spit my morning coffee out when I saw him take off. As has been said, kid can fly.

RealHog

Love the highlights, all of them look good. Loved the ball handling of Hall and the jump shots thrown in. For Garland, looks like he gets to the hoop at will, which is great. I do think that won't be as easy at High Major level. I hope he has or develops a dependable jumper to go along with that rim attacking. Maybe the highlight guy just didn't include it.

MGB1229

Quote from: RealHog on October 22, 2016, 01:49:13 pm
Love the highlights, all of them look good. Loved the ball handling of Hall and the jump shots thrown in. For Garland, looks like he gets to the hoop at will, which is great. I do think that won't be as easy at High Major level. I hope he has or develops a dependable jumper to go along with that rim attacking. Maybe the highlight guy just didn't include it.

Here is another on on Garland.  Shows he is working on it.

The_Iceman

Nothing wrong with Garland's shot. Short and compact. With his excellent driving and finishing ability, he doesn't have to be a great shooter to be effective.

Also, never saw that kind of athleticism from Ethan Henderson prior to that video. Holy cow. That is elite. When was the last forward we had that had that kind of explosiveness?

MGB1229

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 22, 2016, 04:50:59 pm
Nothing wrong with Garland's shot.

I agree on Garland.  Nice looking stroke and will no doubt improve. Henderson seems to be just as explosive off one as he is off two legs.  I have no idea what the rest of his game looks like but he can get up. Not sure what others are seeing that were posting about his lack of athleticism. 

The_Iceman

I'm trying to think of the last player we had that played like Henderson. 6'8"-6'9" lean forward with that level of explosion?

MGB1229

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 22, 2016, 08:29:29 pm
I'm trying to think of the last player we had that played like Henderson. 6'8"-6'9" lean forward with that level of explosion?

Hood

Big Nasty 34

I watched this video of Henderson recently and was very underwhelmed with his athleticism

https://youtu.be/aVFIHH5A1x0

However the Hog 5 workout shows he's very explosive. I guess he just doesn't jump very high on jumpers? Kinda odd with a guy with his explosiveness.

Jonteviosk

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 22, 2016, 11:23:51 pm
I watched this video of Henderson recently and was very underwhelmed with his athleticism

https://youtu.be/aVFIHH5A1x0

However the Hog 5 workout shows he's very explosive. I guess he just doesn't jump very high on jumpers? Kinda odd with a guy with his explosiveness.

No its not jump shot is not about how high you get but release point same as any perimeter shooting watch Steph Currys release point then you will understand better.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Jonteviosk on October 23, 2016, 12:51:40 am
No its not jump shot is not about how high you get but release point same as any perimeter shooting watch Steph Currys release point then you will understand better.

Please inform me why people jump to shoot and don't just shoot set shots, then?

I understand you don't have to jump 2+ feet on every jump shot. I was really commenting on why some said he didn't look athletic. It's probably because he barely jumps outside of dunking. I just thought it was strange for someone that athletic to barely get off the ground.

And about Steph curry, I'm sure if he were more athletic he would get higher off the ground when he shoots, as well. He's not winning a vertical leaping contests any time soon.

The_Iceman

Taller guys don't jump as much on their shots because it requires so much more touch for them.

The_Iceman

Quote from: MGB1229 on October 22, 2016, 10:14:28 pm
Hood

Hood was more like Qualls in that he was a power dunker. Henderson kind of glides and is smooth in the way he leaps.

azhog10

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on October 23, 2016, 08:13:22 am
Please inform me why people jump to shoot and don't just shoot set shots, then?

I understand you don't have to jump 2+ feet on every jump shot. I was really commenting on why some said he didn't look athletic. It's probably because he barely jumps outside of dunking. I just thought it was strange for someone that athletic to barely get off the ground.

And about Steph curry, I'm sure if he were more athletic he would get higher off the ground when he shoots, as well. He's not winning a vertical leaping contests any time soon.
With big guys especially, the less they jump on their jump shot the better. As a game wears, so do your legs. The less you use them in your normal shot, the less you tend to miss short late in the game.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 23, 2016, 08:35:14 am
Hood was more like Qualls in that he was a power dunker. Henderson kind of glides and is smooth in the way he leaps.
I was gonna say he's kinda like Michael Washington. A bit more explosive, but Michael glided through the air as well. I remember him leaping from well outside the lane line and would throw down some nice two handers off two feet.

MGB1229

If you guys haven't checked out Franklin's video above.  That dude is a nasty dunker.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: azhog10 on October 23, 2016, 09:08:43 am
With big guys especially, the less they jump on their jump shot the better. As a game wears, so do your legs. The less you use them in your normal shot, the less you tend to miss short late in the game.

Again, the real point of my original post was that if you only watched the short highlight video that I posted, you would be a little underwhelmed by his athleticism. BUT, after watching the hog 5 workout, it's clear he can really fly. That was very encouraging to me and I feel much more positive about him really contributing someday.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: azhog10 on October 23, 2016, 09:09:37 am
I was gonna say he's kinda like Michael Washington. A bit more explosive, but Michael glided through the air as well. I remember him leaping from well outside the lane line and would throw down some nice two handers off two feet.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Little Lady Back

Quote from: MGB1229 on October 22, 2016, 10:32:37 am
At least they were new to me.

Darius Hall

Khalil Garland

Hog 5 workout

Thanks for sharing!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Redbug

just watched the first two....watch the Hog 5 later....

Hall reminds me of a thicker stronger Downtown Tony Brown....maybe not as long of arms....but the word that comes to mind is SMOOTH....maybe not the most flashy athletic guy....but athletic enough just comes off as extremely smooth and in control...nice handle and size...can get anywhere he wants to on the court....SMOOTH not quite effortless...but you'd think he's going 1/2 or 3/4 speed and bam he's gone by you or worked you just like he wanted to and scores...

Garland reminds me of countless Duke guards of the 90's that just KNOWS HOW to PLAY the GAME...not overly flashy...the guy that comes off of Coach K's bench as the 6th or 7th guy as a frosh or soph and gets meaningful minutes increasing midseason on and is an integral part of a championship club...by his Jr and Sr seasons he is the calm yet driving force that characterizes and carries the team on another championship drive....

(note: not a duke homer fan...he just reminds me of those type of QUALITY players...)

FineAsSwine

Loved the Garland and Hall highlights. Some really good talent headed our way.

010HogFan

Quote from: Redbug on October 23, 2016, 04:28:03 pm
just watched the first two....watch the Hog 5 later....

Hall reminds me of a thicker stronger Downtown Tony Brown....maybe not as long of arms....but the word that comes to mind is SMOOTH....maybe not the most flashy athletic guy....but athletic enough just comes off as extremely smooth and in control...nice handle and size...can get anywhere he wants to on the court....SMOOTH not quite effortless...but you'd think he's going 1/2 or 3/4 speed and bam he's gone by you or worked you just like he wanted to and scores...

Garland reminds me of countless Duke guards of the 90's that just KNOWS HOW to PLAY the GAME...not overly flashy...the guy that comes off of Coach K's bench as the 6th or 7th guy as a frosh or soph and gets meaningful minutes increasing midseason on and is an integral part of a championship club...by his Jr and Sr seasons he is the calm yet driving force that characterizes and carries the team on another championship drive....

(note: not a duke homer fan...he just reminds me of those type of QUALITY players...)

Same thing I was thinking watching Garland. He looks like a Duke player. Reminds me of Tyus Jones or Devon Booker from Kentucky

Hawg Red

Garland is freaking good.

I thought he was maybe a marginal kind of prospect when he committed Memphis (maybe I was just butthurt). I was wrong. Very thankful he came back and picked the Hogs. He's going to be a very, very big player for the Hogs.

So much talent on the books right now.  :razorback:

Razorod

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 24, 2016, 03:15:55 pm
Garland is freaking good.

I thought he was maybe a marginal kind of prospect when he committed Memphis (maybe I was just butthurt). I was wrong. Very thankful he came back and picked the Hogs. He's going to be a very, very big player for the Hogs.

So much talent on the books right now.  :razorback:
Isn't it nice!
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

MountieDawg

SEC!

The_Iceman

I know we all want to see Garland continue to improve his shooting, but let's not overlook the value of a guard his size that can get to the basket and finish. That will collapse the defense and open up passing lanes, it will draw fouls and get us on the free throw line, and also provide higher percentage looks.

ballhogger

Quote from: MGB1229 on October 22, 2016, 10:14:28 pm
Hood

When is that video from?  I am with you because he looks like a different kid.  With kids like that 1 year can make a huge difference.

ballhogger

Quote from: MGB1229 on October 22, 2016, 10:44:44 am
Anybody heard if we are recruiting Franklin anymore?  He is the perfect fit for us. Freakish

Wow, I figured he would be exactly what we are looking for.  That kid is one of the more explosive kids I have seen us have.  If we get these guys on campus and run the floor like mike does we will give people fits.

The_Bionic_Pig

He going to have to demonstrate some semblance of a outside shot at 6'6. 

It doesn't matter if you have a 50' vertical if 99% of your Offense has to come from the interior.

You can't play the PF/C position at 6'6 180lbs
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Swinesong1

Quote from: ballhogger on October 25, 2016, 09:56:32 am
Wow, I figured he would be exactly what we are looking for.  That kid is one of the more explosive kids I have seen us have.  If we get these guys on campus and run the floor like mike does we will give people fits.
I'm confused!  Every time the Hogs lose a game, the "we don't need athletes, we need ball players" crowd comes out in full force.  Yet, this kid is basically a dunker and nothing else right now.  But, people want him.  Note..this isn't necessarily directed at you.  I just need clarification.

HardingHog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 25, 2016, 10:21:45 am
I'm confused!  Every time the Hogs lose a game, the "we don't need athletes, we need ball players" crowd comes out in full force.  Yet, this kid is basically a dunker and nothing else right now.  But, people want him.  Note..this isn't necessarily directed at you.  I just need clarification.

A) "Ball players" don't have fun and exciting highlight videos like this kid does

It's all about whatever fits the narrative/agenda. When we are winning because we're forcing lots of turnovers and getting easy buckets: "This is Hawg Ball. Running by and jumping over the other team WPS"
When we lose because we can't hit a shot and rotate poorly on D: "We can't win by just running around with our heads cut off trying to press everyone. We need a team full of 7 footers and 3pt shooters. Mike ain't Nolan. This style doesn't work anymore"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HardingHog on October 25, 2016, 09:40:11 pm
A) "Ball players" don't have fun and exciting highlight videos like this kid does

It's all about whatever fits the narrative/agenda. When we are winning because we're forcing lots of turnovers and getting easy buckets: "This is Hawg Ball. Running by and jumping over the other team WPS"
When we lose because we can't hit a shot and rotate poorly on D: "We can't win by just running around with our heads cut off trying to press everyone. We need a team full of 7 footers and 3pt shooters. Mike ain't Nolan. This style doesn't work anymore"

Pretty much sums it up

ballhogger

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 25, 2016, 10:21:45 am
Anyone that athletic can be taught to be a good defender and runner.  We need some of those guys unless we are changing our philosophy.  He has great length, can run and jump.  Nolan's teams had role guys like that.  I think he could be an asset if used properly.  That is kinda what Cory Brewer was for the Gators.  Although he was a couple of inches Taller he affected the game.  Most of his points came on fast break dunks and defensive plays.

ballhogger

Quote from: HardingHog on October 25, 2016, 09:40:11 pm

Now there is some truth to this.  Officiating is making it harder to play our style of ball and guys like this may not be as valuable as they used to be but he is a great athlete that fits a mold of what we have had success with.

azhog10

Quote from: ballhogger on October 26, 2016, 11:09:20 am
Now there is some truth to this.  Officiating is making it harder to play our style of ball and guys like this may not be as valuable as they used to be but he is a great athlete that fits a mold of what we have had success with.
I think part of it is that because we tend to foul more, or play more aggressive that we also need someone who can draw fouls. Last year we didn't have a guard that could put pressure on a defense and get them into foul trouble early. I think Barford can do that, and I think Garland can do that as well. IF we can get teams to get to their bench we will have success. We can afford to go to our bench because of our style and the depth we now have. In the past, we didn't recruit that depth and in games where we got in foul trouble, and weren't able to return the favor, well it became a long night.

Point is, we need guards who can get to the rim and put pressure on teams. This will allow us to set up our press, and keep the game at a pace we want it to be at.