Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBS hoops rankings 1-351...

Started by Swinesong1, October 19, 2016, 05:27:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swinesong1

This is exhibit A as to why you can't get caught up in preseason rankings.  There is a laughable assessment here.  See if you can find it:   74. Arkansas
Moses Kingsley is one heck of a name for one heck of a player. He's not alone. Mike Anderson has underwhelmed at Arkansas, but this season the Hogs will be dangerous on given nights because Kingsley has senior shooting guards Dusty Hannahs and Manuele Watkins spacing the floor. Should be a team

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Swinesong1 on October 19, 2016, 05:27:46 pm
This is exhibit A as to why you can't get caught up in preseason rankings.  There is a laughable assessment here.  See if you can find it:   74. Arkansas
Moses Kingsley is one heck of a name for one heck of a player. He's not alone. Mike Anderson has underwhelmed at Arkansas, but this season the Hogs will be dangerous on given nights because Kingsley has senior shooting guards Dusty Hannahs and Manuele Watkins spacing the floor. Should be a team

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/duke-kentucky-kansas-top-cbs-sports-1-351-college-basketball-rankings/

"Mike Anderson has underwhelmed at Arkansas"  That is going to hurt some feelings.  Good thing he doesn't post here.

Should have mentioned Barford and Macon and realized this will be the first "Anderson" style team he has had here. 

About 40 spots too low probably although I think the Hogs get ranked in the top 25 during the season due to record.  The non conf wins aren't going to excite outsiders like this.  Need to beat Texas and Houston and would be a huge help to beat UK in conf. Otherwise the view from outsiders will be lukewarm like it was for our 2014-15 season. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

Manny is one heck of a shooter......

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on October 19, 2016, 06:17:50 pm
Manny is one heck of a shooter......

That 0-8 for his career from 3 impressed Norlander.  I guess when you have 351 teams, you aren't going to do much research after UK and Duke. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2016, 06:19:45 pm
That 0-8 for his career from 3 impressed Norlander.  I guess when you have 351 teams, you aren't going to do much research after UK and Duke.
He had to pick someone.....I guess

Dr. Starcs

I think teams should double team manny. Pick him up at half court for sure.

Atlhogfan1

UK 2
Texas 17
A&M 28 - "The SEC is weak again...."  insight perhaps to our #74 spot

Houston 72 - ouch for our non conf if this is how it is respected, at least opinion won't have bearing on RPI

LR 114 - good for them, pretty good for a Sun Belt team

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2016, 06:09:30 pm
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/duke-kentucky-kansas-top-cbs-sports-1-351-college-basketball-rankings/
"Mike Anderson has underwhelmed at Arkansas"  That is going to hurt some feelings.  Good thing he doesn't post here.

Small potatoes compared to the nonsense spouted by some of the more strident negative posters  who frequent this board. 

PonderinHog

Manny is a shooting guard?  I did not know that.

Jonteviosk

Yeah we need to Dusty to have a couple of huge games so that teams wont double team Manny and he can take us to the tourney.
You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 19, 2016, 06:09:30 pm

Should have mentioned Barford and Macon and realized this will be the first "Anderson" style team he has had here. 

While I am sure that quote makes you giddy, the rest of us considered the source once he mentioned Watkins as a guy that would help spread the floor.

Pork Twain

I would rather start the season with low expectations and sneak up on everyone.  By the time SEC play begins, everyone will know what we are though.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 19, 2016, 10:45:41 pm
Small potatoes compared to the nonsense spouted by some of the more strident negative posters  who frequent this board.

That's the truth!! There are a few who have been absent lately but I am sure they will be back soon enough. Whatever...
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Ironhawg

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 19, 2016, 11:33:31 pm
Manny is a shooting guard?  I did not know that.

Shhh.  Secret weapon!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 20, 2016, 03:03:51 am
While I am sure that quote makes you giddy, the rest of us considered the source once he mentioned Watkins as a guy that would help spread the floor.

Yeah, you could tell he was in a hurry to get that out there...

hogwood

Manuale Watkins spacing the floor? Wow this guy is poorly researched. Also we can't expect any analyst to credit our JUCO's. People just don't scout them that well or really respect them, especially not the guys that are putting out these kind of rankings or pre-season accolades. For this reason we will surprise many.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pork Twain

Seeing this much JUCO talent really takes me back to the Nolan glory days.  I hope these guys all mesh well and perform as expected.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Pork Twain on October 21, 2016, 05:19:20 am
Seeing this much JUCO talent really takes me back to the Nolan glory days.  I hope these guys all mesh well and perform as expected.

Me too, Pork. We will see soon and I can't wait!!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Jonteviosk

You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

Smalltownhog95

I heard Manny beat Steph Curry in a 3 point contest.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Dr. Starcs

If it was this year's playoffs, he probably did.

Breems

Was standing outside today and suddenly saw a basketball swish through my hoop. Was quite confused, but then I saw Manny standing a few hundred yards away.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HogFoo

October 26, 2016, 02:47:24 am #23 Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:52:43 am by HogFoo
I was taking my dog for a walk this afternoon,  and I heard this strange noise.  It sounded like when the planes would break the sound barrier years ago out of Fort Chaffee. It'd make this boom and shake the glass.  Well, as I was walking the dog, i heard the distinct noise of a sonic BOOOOOOM!........ and as I turned to see what it may have been, that's when I first saw it.  It was majestic, it was captivating as it flew.  It was mesmerizing even, you just couldn't take your eyes off of it.  I stood there and just watched it as it came closer.  Like an outfielder waiting on a monster flyball.  And there it came headed south from the mountains of the Ozarks downwards towards fort smith.  As others saw me, and took notice, it was as if life stood still for those 15mins or so that it took for this ball to make its trek.  People just stared in wide eyed wonder as it just sailed reaching full arc perhaps around i would guess Mt.Burg.  then proceeded downwards slightly,  kissing the clouds, as it skipped thru breezes,  I'd never seen anything with such precision,  such grace, as it drew closer and closer towards what I could only guess was in my vicinity,  i could hear whistling,  humming noise, it was almost like a voice of an angel singing as it came nearer, "mannnnnyyyy watkins",  it was like very clearly you heard this, as if someone whispered in your ear!!  Then!  with a mighty thunder!  And cracking of clouds behind it that caught up to the ball spinning, it glowing red with a razorback on it, roaring, as creating whirlwind behind, it came closer and closer , everyone saw and knew it's directory at this point.  I had just put up a new basketball goal for my little girl to practice hoops on and it had never been christened yet with a ball thrown thru the hoop, but that was about to change as this impossible, unthinkable, unfathomable,  shot was being climaxed , and as the trees swooshed and the grass swayed, and mommas held their babies,  with the greatest of might, someone yelled "hear it comes!"  with a great delight, and all at once as quickly as it became......... SWISH......... nothing but net.....

The goal itself shown like a beacon in the driveway with dandelions spreading thru the air.  Everyone that had been still and left in amazement dared asked the question...  who could have thrown such a ball?  Then, oft in the distance you hear a voice , not in wonder or disbelief, "oh, that was just Manny Watkins, he's one heck of a shooter I've read"...........
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

PonderinHog

HogFoo, your dramatic license has been suspended.

010HogFan

Quote from: HogFoo on October 26, 2016, 02:47:24 am
I was taking my dog for a walk this afternoon,  and I heard this strange noise.  It sounded like when the planes would break the sound barrier years ago out of Fort Chaffee. It'd make this boom and shake the glass.  Well, as I was walking the dog, i heard the distinct noise of a sonic BOOOOOOM!........ and as I turned to see what it may have been, that's when I first saw it.  It was majestic, it was captivating as it flew.  It was mesmerizing even, you just couldn't take your eyes off of it.  I stood there and just watched it as it came closer.  Like an outfielder waiting on a monster flyball.  And there it came headed south from the mountains of the Ozarks downwards towards fort smith.  As others saw me, and took notice, it was as if life stood still for those 15mins or so that it took for this ball to make its trek.  People just stared in wide eyed wonder as it just sailed reaching full arc perhaps around i would guess Mt.Burg.  then proceeded downwards slightly,  kissing the clouds, as it skipped thru breezes,  I'd never seen anything with such precision,  such grace, as it drew closer and closer towards what I could only guess was in my vicinity,  i could hear whistling,  humming noise, it was almost like a voice of an angel singing as it came nearer, "mannnnnyyyy watkins",  it was like very clearly you heard this, as if someone whispered in your ear!!  Then!  with a mighty thunder!  And cracking of clouds behind it that caught up to the ball spinning, it glowing red with a razorback on it, roaring, as creating whirlwind behind, it came closer and closer , everyone saw and knew it's directory at this point.  I had just put up a new basketball goal for my little girl to practice hoops on and it had never been christened yet with a ball thrown thru the hoop, but that was about to change as this impossible, unthinkable, unfathomable,  shot was being climaxed , and as the trees swooshed and the grass swayed, and mommas held their babies,  with the greatest of might, someone yelled "hear it comes!"  with a great delight, and all at once as quickly as it became......... SWISH......... nothing but net.....

The goal itself shown like a beacon in the driveway with dandelions spreading thru the air.  Everyone that had been still and left in amazement dared asked the question...  who could have thrown such a ball?  Then, oft in the distance you hear a voice , not in wonder or disbelief, "oh, that was just Manny Watkins, he's one heck of a shooter I've read"...........

note the time of day that this was posted. Hope you got some sleep lmao :D

PonderinHog

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 26, 2016, 10:52:51 am
note the time of day that this was posted. Hope you got some sleep lmao :D
Nothing good happens after midnight.  Wait, nevermind!  That was awesome!

Biggus Piggus

The college hoop media guys seem to have collaborated on that negative MA take. It's popping up with all the usual suspects.

Nobody ever seems to ask why MA has not done as well at Arkansas as he did at UAB and Missouri.

Conference-only records for MA:

UAB - 42-20 (68%)
Mizzou - 43-37 (54%)
Arkansas - 48-40 (55%)

Waaaaait a minute. You mean MA's SEC record is better than his Big 12 record was?

I'll put this down for the umpteenth time. At Arkansas, MA badly needed to scrap the inherited roster and start over, but he couldn't. And it's not as easy to recruit jucos in the SEC. Harder to get them eligible. That kept him from fixing the backcourt as soon as he needed to do it. The current team has the best guards by far that MA has had at Arkansas.

MA's first team might have been decent, had Marshawn Powell not been injured. That team won 18 games and lost four close ones.

One thing MA has to get fixed. His teams lost in the first round of the SECT four times in five seasons.
[CENSORED]!

Razorod

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 26, 2016, 01:20:13 pm

One thing MA has to get fixed. His teams lost in the first round of the SECT four times in five seasons.
Pertaining to your last comment there, I'd say it's the lack of depth since we've also tended to lose season finales under Anderson as well. We just haven't had the depth Anderson needs not only to wear the other team down in an individual game, but to keep from wearing ours down over the course of the season. Hopefully, this season will see a distribution of minutes much more like Nolan's teams in front half of the nineties.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

MountieDawg

Everyone needs to feel bad about picking on Manny, he was the leading scorer of the Red/White game...
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Razorod on October 26, 2016, 01:37:10 pm
Pertaining to your last comment there, I'd say it's the lack of depth since we've also tended to lose season finales under Anderson as well. We just haven't had the depth Anderson needs not only to wear the other team down in an individual game, but to keep from wearing ours down over the course of the season. Hopefully, this season will see a distribution of minutes much more like Nolan's teams in front half of the nineties.

Lost in 1st R of B12 tournament 3 out of 5 seasons too. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 26, 2016, 01:20:13 pm
The college hoop media guys seem to have collaborated on that negative MA take. It's popping up with all the usual suspects.

Nobody ever seems to ask why MA has not done as well at Arkansas as he did at UAB and Missouri.

Conference-only records for MA:

UAB - 42-20 (68%)
Mizzou - 43-37 (54%)
Arkansas - 48-40 (55%)

Waaaaait a minute. You mean MA's SEC record is better than his Big 12 record was?

I'll put this down for the umpteenth time. At Arkansas, MA badly needed to scrap the inherited roster and start over, but he couldn't. And it's not as easy to recruit jucos in the SEC. Harder to get them eligible. That kept him from fixing the backcourt as soon as he needed to do it. The current team has the best guards by far that MA has had at Arkansas.

MA's first team might have been decent, had Marshawn Powell not been injured. That team won 18 games and lost four close ones.

Could be a lack of respect for the conference as a whole too.  Seems to be some disdain towards SEC basketball outside of UK. 

"At Arkansas, MA badly needed to scrap the inherited roster and start over, but he couldn't. And it's not as easy to recruit jucos in the SEC. Harder to get them eligible. That kept him from fixing the backcourt as soon as he needed to do it. The current team has the best guards by far that MA has had at Arkansas."
Agreed.  Lacked the guard quality and depth needed.  Still wonder about some of his guard recruiting choices and whiffs. 

Our in conference schedule couldn't have been much weaker the last few seasons for a "power" conference program.  That helped the record some. 

You are correct in your sentiment regarding the hoop media people, they seem to be missing on this Arkansas team and what should be different vs the last 5 seasons. 

HoopS

Let them snooze on us.

But I see a lot of wins this season. And many seasons to follow.

SpeedyHog

Quote from: HoopS on October 27, 2016, 09:36:02 am
Let them snooze on us.

But I see a lot of wins this season. And many seasons to follow.
I hope You're right. WOO Pig.
Call Me Trumpton.

bolo1010

Manny Watkins might not be the best shooter on the team but I gaurantee you nobody will outwork or out hustle him!  He's one of those high energy guys and a role player that knows what his job is and he will go out and do it.  May end up being my favorite player by the end of the season.

CaddoHog

You guys are killin me with the Manny Watkins jokes
LOL
:D
-    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -    -

CaddoHog:  the most hated member on Hogville.net
(for the reasons of _______________________ )

j-mann

if we can get off to a 13-1 12-2 nonconf    and win 12 in conf     we can be a 4 seed  but    if we are 9-5 or so and only win 10 in the SEC  then we are nit bound    we are between   29-105      overall    we need 2 NCAA Tourm  win sweet 16 or bust     
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

ShadowHawg

Quote from: j-mann on November 05, 2016, 08:52:49 pm
if we can get off to a 13-1 12-2 nonconf    and win 12 in conf     we can be a 4 seed  but    if we are 9-5 or so and only win 10 in the SEC  then we are nit bound    we are between   29-105      overall    we need 2 NCAA Tourm  win sweet 16 or bust   

So a program with only 2 NCAA tournament wins in the last 20 years is a Sweet 16 or BUST situation? Since 2000 we have as many NCAA tournament wins as UAPB.

It amazes me both how far this program fell and how few of our fans have a clue about it.

https://johngasaway.com/2014/11/06/seven-teams-account-for-25-percent-of-all-tournament-wins-since-2000/