Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Macon and Barfard said....

Started by micali, May 11, 2016, 06:54:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

King Kong

Quote from: razoredge178 on May 13, 2016, 11:21:11 am
Had you heard the interview you might have a different perspective.

I heard the interview and I don't have a different perspective

yocdaddy

According to Bo Mattingly and his research, not a single juco transfer has been one and done to the NBA draft since 2000. Something like 950 draft picks, zero juco transfers that were drafted after 1st year.  So, I'm thinking neither will be drafted in the NBA draft.  Both may leave after one year, it wouldn't surprise me.
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

HoopS

I agree with some of these others. Dang you Mike for signing such high end talent that we have to worry about them leaving! <shaking fist at Mike>

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: King Kong on May 13, 2016, 11:29:40 am
I heard the interview and I don't have a different perspective

Neither did I

JayBell

BJ and Fortson both came in as freshmen.  Macon and Barford are coming in as juniors.  They'll have been college players for three years who have been eyeing the NBA.

The information about JUCO transfers never being one and done is interesting.  I'm guessing that has more to do with the fact that the vast majority of them need at least a full season to adjust to the higher level of competition.  Weems did, Clarke did, Durham did.

That's kind of the reason I've taken issue with everyone expecting Barford and Macon to just barnstorm into the SEC.  They may be amazing, but JUCO transfers rarely apparently never do that.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: JayBell on May 13, 2016, 09:14:05 am
Another year with Arkansas losing 4 of 5 starters and 6-7 players overall.  So 17-18 is going to be fun.

Do yourself and us a favor and don't follow hogs BB until we get a new coach.

HoopS

JayBell

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on May 13, 2016, 03:10:23 pmDo yourself and us a favor and don't follow hogs BB until we get a new coach.

I'm so tired of this stupid attitude.  Ever since Anderson has been here, if you're not worshipping him, then you're not worthy of being a fan.

Pushback against Anderson is nothing compared to the hate aimed at previous Arkansas coaches, yet anything negative about him is met with such insolence.

Win and I'll be happy.  I said I expect them to be good next year, but just because you refuse to acknowledge the many problems with the program doesn't mean I have to.

azhog10

Quote from: JayBell on May 13, 2016, 02:58:39 pm
BJ and Fortson both came in as freshmen.  Macon and Barford are coming in as juniors.  They'll have been college players for three years who have been eyeing the NBA.

The information about JUCO transfers never being one and done is interesting.  I'm guessing that has more to do with the fact that the vast majority of them need at least a full season to adjust to the higher level of competition.  Weems did, Clarke did, Durham did.

That's kind of the reason I've taken issue with everyone expecting Barford and Macon to just barnstorm into the SEC.  They may be amazing, but JUCO transfers rarely apparently never do that.
I haven't seen many who say Macon will "barnstorm" the SEC. A good number of people expect Barford to do very well early on.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: JayBell on May 13, 2016, 03:17:07 pm
I'm so tired of this stupid attitude.  Ever since Anderson has been here, if you're not worshipping him, then you're not worthy of being a fan.

Pushback against Anderson is nothing compared to the hate aimed at previous Arkansas coaches, yet anything negative about him is met with such insolence.

Win and I'll be happy.  I said I expect them to be good next year, but just because you refuse to acknowledge the many problems with the program doesn't mean I have to.

And if you already know the next season will be .500 or below, then why subject yourself to watching and just being cynical? Hence the "do yourself a favor" and wait for happier times.

PonderinHog

Seems like Ronnie Brewer, Sr., Darrell and Alvin adjusted fairly quickly their first year.  Weren't they all JUCO's?

HoopS

Yes. But worrying about jucos adjusting isn't misplaced. It can take time. We are blessed to have the trip and extra practices.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: HoopS on May 13, 2016, 06:50:13 pm
Yes. But worrying about jucos adjusting isn't misplaced. It can take time. We are blessed to have the trip and extra practices.

That really will be big for evaluation and team chemistry.

songofthesword

Honeatly if Macon  develops a consistent jumper I can see it. He will be the best athlete on the team and he can get to the rim at will now. His jumper is his issue but he'll never be a lotto type guy too small

songofthesword

also that stay is misleading. a few have gone straight from juco to the nba. off the top of my head qiyntel woods to the blazers and he was legit

edit: jamal Tinsley did it

songofthesword

lol that's like the worst wrong stat ever. Steve Francis did it, and was the number 2 pick

songofthesword

Shawn marion did it. 9th pick to the suns

songofthesword

and he'll Joe Johnson was basically one act point away from having to so it

JenksHawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 11, 2016, 08:04:29 pm
Uh, what's the problem? Players know your draft value typically goes down the older you get and they're already going to be 21 by the time next year's draft rolls around. They will enter their names like Moses did and see where the feedback takes them. I don't get the impression that they will defy NBA feedback and go pro if the verdict is similar to Moses. And if they're first round or solid second round talents, good for them. They should go. If they're good enough to get drafted next year, we probably done had a good year. Will look good for the program to have 3 guys drafted.
but according to Hogville everyone should stay 4 years, and everyone that's ever left early has made a mistake.

Hawg Red

Quote from: songofthesword on May 16, 2016, 01:27:00 am
Shawn marion did it. 9th pick to the suns

Quote from: songofthesword on May 16, 2016, 01:25:42 am
lol that's like the worst wrong stat ever. Steve Francis did it, and was the number 2 pick

The post clearly stated "since 2000" and Steve Francis and Shawn Marion were both drafted in 1999.

Hawg Red

Quote from: songofthesword on May 16, 2016, 01:17:57 am
also that stay is misleading. a few have gone straight from juco to the nba. off the top of my head qiyntel woods to the blazers and he was legit

edit: jamal Tinsley did it

No offense, but you suck at this. Jamaal Tinsley was drafted as a senior after two years at Iowa State.

And I'm not sure what qualifies as "legit," but Qyntel Woods played 167 games in the NBA. That's about the equivalent of two full seasons. Sorry, but that's a flame-out. He was definitely not "legit."

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: songofthesword on May 16, 2016, 01:14:43 am
Honeatly if Macon  develops a consistent jumper I can see it. He will be the best athlete on the team and he can get to the rim at will now. His jumper is his issue but he'll never be a lotto type guy too small

I thought his strength was his shooting? Lots of range?

yocdaddy

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 13, 2016, 06:15:52 pm
Seems like Ronnie Brewer, Sr., Darrell and Alvin adjusted fairly quickly their first year.  Weren't they all JUCO's?

How long ago has that been?
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

Hawg Red

Quote from: yocdaddy on May 16, 2016, 09:41:21 pm
How long ago has that been?

There are posters here who were not born yet.

Hell, let me check the dates to see if I was. I'm 33.

Hawg Red

I indeed was not born when those players transitioned to the NCAA. I have a gray hair in my beard.

Nipsey Mussle

And I'm tired of gross overstatements from people like you to try to get your point across. "If you're not worshipping him..." is complete and utter nonsense. If you repeatedly turn things against him and focus almost exclusively on the negative, people are going to get annoyed. I've rarely seen anyone called out on here that wasn't an overly persistent hater.

Were you happy during/after the 27 win season or looking more at the negative? Hint: I already know the answer.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 16, 2016, 05:51:50 pm
No offense, but you suck at this. Jamaal Tinsley was drafted as a senior after two years at Iowa State.

And I'm not sure what qualifies as "legit," but Qyntel Woods played 167 games in the NBA. That's about the equivalent of two full seasons. Sorry, but that's a flame-out. He was definitely not "legit."
This is just a side note, but I don't think Tinsley played high school basketball. How many people in our lifetime (I'm 2 years older than you with no grey in my beard) could we say that about?

JayBell

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 17, 2016, 12:00:16 amAnd I'm tired of gross overstatements from people like you to try to get your point across. "If you're not worshipping him..." is complete and utter nonsense. If you repeatedly turn things against him and focus almost exclusively on the negative, people are going to get annoyed. I've rarely seen anyone called out on here that wasn't an overly persistent hater.

It's not a gross overstatement if it's true.  Anyone who brings up anything negative against Anderson gets attacked.  It's been happening for three years.  He got a free pass from the fan base for the first two years and Long gave him a three-year pass.  Those are facts.

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 17, 2016, 12:00:16 amWere you happy during/after the 27 win season or looking more at the negative? Hint: I already know the answer.

No you don't.  You're assuming, but you're not making an ass out of me, just yourself.  I was very happy, but I was also very aware that Qualls and Portis were leaving.  If I knew it was likely, the coaching staff probably should have prepared for it too.

PorkRinds

Quote from: JayBell on May 17, 2016, 09:34:38 am
It's not a gross overstatement if it's true.  Anyone who brings up anything negative against Anderson gets attacked.  It's been happening for three years.  He got a free pass from the fan base for the first two years and Long gave him a three-year pass.  Those are facts.

No you don't.  You're assuming, but you're not making an ass out of me, just yourself.  I was very happy, but I was also very aware that Qualls and Portis were leaving.  If I knew it was likely, the coaching staff probably should have prepared for it too.

You're confusing fact with your opinion.

JayBell

EDIT: I'm tired of arguing this stuff.  Everybody is entrenched and no one is going to change their opinions.  That became very obvious this last year when the team regressed and nothing changed.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 16, 2016, 10:52:43 pm
I indeed was not born when those players transitioned to the NCAA. I have a gray hair in my beard.
My sole point in bringing up those players is that they were pretty damn good in their time and I hope Barford is cut from the same cloth.

I have a few dark hairs in my beard.

rzrbackramsfan

[tweet]731271733114748928[/tweet]

rzrbackramsfan

songofthesword

Quote from: songofthesword on May 16, 2016, 01:14:43 am

Iwastherein1969

I hope they blow the top off of Bud Walton and are lottery picks leading us to the Final Four. In today's college basketball, you can't plan for the future. One has to make hay while the sun is shining.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.