Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What if LSU and Bama...

Started by hogball30, August 30, 2016, 03:42:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogball30

Lose to Wisconsin and USC opening weekend?  I know...the lines are good for both games to favor the SEC (LSU -10 and Bama -11.5)...but how bad could 2 loses hurt the strength of the SEC West in the national picture?

hogball30

Not to mention Ole Miss dropping to FL State on Monday!

RME

Quote from: hogball30 on August 30, 2016, 03:42:43 pm
Lose to Wisconsin and USC opening weekend?  I know...the lines are good for both games to favor the SEC (LSU -10 and Bama -11.5)...but how bad could 2 loses hurt the strength of the SEC West in the national picture?

Yeah it'll be a real shame if Arkansas runs the table and wins a National Championship but there's an asterisk next to it denoting that the SEC West was down that year.

Arkansas - 1964, 2016*

*The SEC West was considered "weaker" this year.

Sed76

If it happens Paul Finebaum will be doing his annual routine of wondering if Nick Saban is done. LSU fans will be ready to fire Les all over again. It's the first game of the year, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Both teams will have the whole season to play their way back into playoff contention.

SPAL

IT would be catastrophic from a national stand point.

Steef

Auburn vs Clemson this weekend also.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: Sed76 on August 30, 2016, 04:02:31 pm
If it happens Paul Finebaum will be doing his annual routine of wondering if Nick Saban is done. LSU fans will be ready to fire Les all over again. It's the first game of the year, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Both teams will have the whole season to play their way back into playoff contention.

Totally disagree.

It will hurt the SEC's image.
It would make their climbing back up the rankings difficult, and the loser of their head to head is out (assuming they both stay undefeated though out the remainder of the season).

Also, it could drop some of the middle SECW teams down a notch or two come bowl season.

The fans that wish for all the other SEC teams to lose, don't seem to understand the rising waters concept.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hogball30

Quote from: Steef on August 30, 2016, 04:10:38 pm
Auburn vs Clemson this weekend also.

Agreed...I don't really like Auburn against Clemson...

FineAsSwine

It could happen. These other teams and coaches get so pumped about getting a chance to stick it to just about any SEC team but especially the SEC West teams. It's like a litmus test for the players from other conferences manhood or something. They got something to prove. SEC is always the hunted and usually has the most to lose and if SEC team wins in big time interconference matchups, not that noteworthy and almost expected. Creates an added layer of pressure for top SEC teams in the nonconference which sometimes impacts performance.

bigred223

Quote from: hogball30 on August 30, 2016, 04:19:00 pm

You shouldn't. They will get killed, and it won't be surprising.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hogball30 on August 30, 2016, 03:42:43 pm

Then let the SEC Barbeque commence. It would be merciless.
[CENSORED]!

MissippHog

IMO, the SEC needs any 3 of these 5 teams to win their first game:  Bama, Ole Miss, LSU, A&M, and Auburn. 

Bigmac2

It would cost Arkansas a national title if Arkansas runs the schedule. Not even a playoff berth. National media would declare SEC inferior compared to the other P5s.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: MissippHog on August 30, 2016, 05:10:15 pm
IMO, the SEC needs any 3 of these 5 teams to win their first game:  Bama, Ole Miss, LSU, A&M, and Auburn.

I kind of think Texas A&M might really be a toss-up with UCLA (the game is at Kyle Field and the line only favors UCLA by three), but I expect Alabama to win, LSU to win (although being at Lambeau it may be tougher than it looks on paper). I think Auburn and Ole Miss will both be crushed regardless of the fact that the spread shows both close. We could get three or maybe only two of those, and if either Auburn or Ole Miss win, the SEC West race will suddenly be tightly packed (but I don't think they do).
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

PorkSoda

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 30, 2016, 03:56:20 pm
Yeah it'll be a real shame if Arkansas runs the table and wins a National Championship but there's an asterisk next to it denoting that the SEC West was down that year.

Arkansas - 1964, 2016*

*The SEC West was considered "weaker" this year.
its almost a guarantee that if we win the SEC it will be considered a down year for the SEC.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

is it wrong that I like the chances of them getting killed.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

holeinthewall

You forgot Georgia North Carolina play this weekend. 6 games

hogball30

Quote from: holeinthewall on August 31, 2016, 07:02:13 am
You forgot Georgia North Carolina play this weekend. 6 games

Good point...could be a very tough week.

GoHogs1091

Here is the starting Line of Scrimmage match-ups for the Clemson/Auburn game.  The measurables are from the Depth Charts from the Game Notes.

Clemson OL                                                                           Auburn DL                                               

LT:  Mitch Hyatt   6'5"  295 lbs.  So.                                   DE:  Carl Lawson   6'2"  253 lbs.  Jr.
Freshman All-American last season
#1 ranked OT in the nation coming out of H.S.

LG:  Taylor Hearn   6'5"  325 lbs.  Rs.So.                          DT:   Dontavius Russell   6'3"  308 lbs.  So.

C:    Jay Guillermo   6'3"  310 lbs.  Rs.Sr.                          DT:  Montravius Adams   6'4"  309 lbs.  Sr.
#1 ranked C in the nation coming out of H.S.   

RG:  Tyrone Crowder   6'2"  340 lbs.  Rs.Jr.
                                                                                                 DE:  Marlon Davidson   6'3"  273 lbs.  Fr.
RT:  Jake Fruhmorgen   6'5"  290 lbs.  So.
#8 ranked OT in the nation coming out of HS.

Clemson DL                                                                            Auburn OL

DE:  Richard Yeargin   6'5"  260 lbs.  Rs.So.                      LT:  Austin Golson   6'5"  314 lbs.  Jr.

DT:  Carlos Watkins    6'3"  305 lbs.  Rs.Sr.                       LG:  Alex Kozan   6'4"  310 lbs.  Sr.
ESPN Preseason All-American 
                                                                                                  C:    Xavier Dampeer   6'2"  310 lbs.  Sr.                           
DT:  Christian Wilkins   6'4"  310 lbs.  So.                               
#6 ranked DT in the nation coming out of H.S.               RG:  Braden Smith   6'6"  300 lbs.  Jr.

DE:  Clelin Ferrell   6'5"  265 lbs.  Rs.Fr.                            RT:   Robert Leff   6'6"  299 lbs.  Sr.

Positional Advantage

QB:  Huge advantage for Clemson.  Watson was a Heisman Finalist last season.

RB:  Huge advantage for Clemson.  Gallman rushed for 1,500+ yards last season.

WR:  Huge advantage for Clemson.  Perhaps the best WR corps. in all of College Football.  Williams (who is an ESPN Preseason All-American) is back from missing almost all of last season because of a freak injury.  Scott and Cain (Cain missed the CFB Playoff and is back) are NFL talents.  The sure handed Renfrow (Oklahoma probably remembers him) is back.  Thompson and Powell could probably be starting for a lot of other teams.  Clemson also has a True Freshman WR, Overton, who is 6'5".

TE:  Advantage for Clemson.  Leggett was a Mackey Award Finalist last season.

OL:  Advantage for Clemson.  Clemson does have 2 new starters this season (Hearn and Fruhmorgen), but they return 3 starters that were part of a line that for the most part controlled the Alabama Defensive Front 7 (the supposed greatest of all-time Alabama Defensive Front 7).  Left Offensive Tackle, Hyatt, was a Freshman All-American last season.

DL:  Going to call this equal.  The DL is by far Auburn's greatest strength.  Auburn has the advantage at the DE position as Clemson is starting 2 new DEs.  Clemson has the advantage at the DT position.  Watkins is an ESPN Preseason All-American, and Wilkins could start for most, if not all, SEC teams.

LB:  Advantage for Clemson.  Clemson is returning Linebacker, Ben Boulware, who had 138 tackles last season.  Clemson also has 2 True Freshmen LBs, Smith and Lamar, who are Alabama type LBs.  Smith is 6'2" 240 lbs. and Lamar is 6'3" 240 lbs.

Secondary:  Advantage for Clemson, especially since Roberts is not available for Auburn.  Clemson does have 3 new starters in their Secondary, but they are returning Cornerback, Tankersley, who was 3rd Team All-ACC (Media and Coaches) last season.  One of their new starting Safeties is Johnson, who has played 571 snaps over 39 games (with 2 starts) during his career at Clemson.  Their other new starting Safety is Van Smith, who played 75 snaps over 14 games last season.

Special Teams:  Advantage for Auburn, primarily because Place Kicker, Daniel Carlson, is one of the best Kickers in the nation.

Coaching:  Huge Advantage for Clemson.  Clemson has Assistant Coaches who have coached in a total of 10 National Championship games (Venables 5, Brooks 2, and Pearman 3).