Jeff Long

Started by Hogs-n-Roses, September 10, 2017, 01:38:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Is he the man for the AD job at Arkansas

Yes , And needs to keep Bret B.
72 (14.3%)
Yes, just needs to hire a new head coach
103 (20.5%)
No, he is on a seperate page from the fanbase,hire someone new.
327 (65.1%)

Total Members Voted: 501

jcbville

Quote from: DeltaBoy on September 12, 2017, 11:08:25 am
Send the Carpet Bagger packing Tarred and Feathered on a Northbound Train.

The Civil War ended like literally over a century ago. Thats more than a hundred. 152 years ago to be exact.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War

Jeff Long isnt trying to sneak in your house at night to steal your wife or your southern manhood. You can put down the muzzle loader. Its over. Its ok. Its ok...

WilsonHog

I'm amazed that educated people still use the term "carpetbagger" to refer to someone.

Says more about them than the person they're trying to insult.

bondhue

Quote from: bigeasyhog on September 14, 2017, 06:03:57 am
Personally, I find it extremely weak on Jeff Longs' part to make the quick leap to the " win at all costs.." comment. Clearly, he's insinuating, by this somewhat veiled comment, that either you have to be willing to cheat in order to win at a high level, or our conference rivals sell out to that in order to achieve high level winning results. Actually, I think it's probably both.
That said, outside of Ole Miss currently, I'm not aware of any other SEC program under serious investigation? Although, I have always considered Auburn to be the SMU of the SEC ( no , I can't prove anything).

What's strange is, I hadn't noticed any chatter about fans or alumni promoting a " win at all costs..." agenda prior to his remarks earlier this week.
The last time I can even recall us having any issues was at the end of the Ford tenure. There was an alum in the Dallas area that was employing some players, and apparently, he was being a little generous with the compensation.
When I look back to various periods under coaches like Holtz, Hatfield and even Nutt and Petrino, we have been able to win , at times, at a high level ad garner national recognition. And, for the most part, we've done it the right way.
I don't think it's unrealistic to have higher expectations than what we are receiving. I believe Arkansas is a program , with the right coach, that can compete and should be able to be in the running for the division occasionally , and actually get to the tote game, which we've already done three times.
( que the excuse makers here with rival issues, etc in 95 or 02, whatever)
Lastly, if we're going to place academics over on the field success, then why are we investing top 20 finances in coaches and facilities? And in that vein, it appears that if our priority is on academics, etc there's half a dozen conference rivals beating us there AND on the field, so apparently we're not that competitive in any arena. Jeff Long is not, and never will be"fully invested " personally in our program, because,simply he's not one of us; he's not a native or an alum. It's just a career position for him. He doesn't have to walk out of the luxury box during a close game like Broyles did, because he doesn't live and die with every play, nor will he ever.
Thank you so much for this post.  I heard on the radio that JL was tweeting this we aren't a win at all cost program crap.  He is creating a false dichotomy, a false "narrative."   Either you support him and CBB or you are a "win at all cost type of guy."  Some on here are parroting that line.  First I've ever heard of it at Arkansas. 

We want football played with passion.  Is that too much cost?
We want players who know their assignments?  Is that too much cost?
We would like to score some points in the second half of games.  Is that too much cost?
We would like offensive adjustments at half time.  Is that too much cost?
We would like competent special teams.  Is that too much cost?

Thank you Coach Rhodes.  Your guys were ready to play.  I dare say the cost was not to much.  Thank you defensive players for your effort against TCU.  I know the cost was not too great for you.  It was what you came here to do.

Let us hear no more of this false narrative of "win at all cost fans" at Arkansas.  It debases and demeans the greatness we have seen from Razorback players all of our lives, and makes it seem greatness can only be accomplished at too great a cost.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 22, 2017, 08:27:26 pm
I'm amazed that educated people still use the term "carpetbagger" to refer to someone.

No doubt. +1
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

IronHog

I'd say the carpetbagger problem is worse than ever 😄

That being said Long is an EXCELLENT athletic director outside of hiring football coaches.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

PorkSoda

just another word for yankee.  I doubt anyone who uses it on this site has any clue as to the origination of the term.

its not like hogville is known for its linguistic expertise.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hawgon

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 22, 2017, 09:06:34 pm
just another word for yankee.  I doubt anyone who uses it on this site has any clue as to the origination of the term.

Of course, everyone knows the origin of the term.  And no, it is not just another term for Yankee.  It has a specific connotation.

forrest city joe

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 10:49:47 am
It shouldn't have been necessary to make a hire then because there shouldn't have been a vacancy. Firing BP was a major mistake. A competent AD doesn't fire a Head coach who just led his team to a #12 and #5 final national ranking in back to back seasons while running a clean program that isn't even close to being investigated ny the NCAA, he handles it in house. Suspend him for a couple of months and dock his pay? Yes, but don't fire him.
+1000. it's what i was posting here 5 years ago. what i feared would happen to the program after CBP was fired has come true. and i get no pleasure out of it. in fact i wish i had been wrong.we went 6 and 2,in the sec two years in a row. 21 and 5,for those 2 years. only losses were to Alabama twice.Lsu who finished in the top 5 that year.Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl.and Auburn who won the NC with Cam Newton.we beat everyone else.finished 12th and 5th in the nation in back to back years.if nothing else,CBP proved Arkansas can be good in football again.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: forrest city joe on September 22, 2017, 10:03:07 pm
+1000. it's what i was posting here 5 years ago. what i feared would happen to the program after CBP was fired has come true. and i get no pleasure out of it. in fact i wish i had been wrong.we went 6 and 2,in the sec two years in a row. 21 and 5,for those 2 years. only losses were to Alabama twice.Lsu who finished in the top 5 that year.Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl.and Auburn who won the NC with Cam Newton.we beat everyone else.finished 12th and 5th in the nation in back to back years.if nothing else,CBP proved Arkansas can be good in football again.
Now Joe the Jeffies are gonna come on here n tell you how ignorant  you are and Petrino had to be fired. Lets not talk about those good times in front of them. There's a few signature comebacks they'll have n you've mentioned one. Couldn't beat bama. I like the way you penned it. But I might add that nobody in the nation was beating them much at that time. Good to see you back on here.

wachhog

Quote from: gchamblee on September 12, 2017, 11:37:19 am
The truth is...

1. If JL hires an up and comer to see if he can be the next lightning in a bottle and doesn't work out these idiots would say "He is an idiot and can't be trusted to hire coaches!!!!"

2. If JL hires a successful coach away from a P5 conference with multiple titles and premier bowl appearances and he doesn't work out these idiots would say "He is an idiot and can't be trusted to hire coaches!!!!"

3. If JL hires a coach that wins a lot of games these idiots would say "He didn't hire him, he fell into his lap. He just got lucky!!!!"
You are absolutely correct. Once Long hired and then fired Petrino.  it was over for him . He couldn't win with the fans. For him to hang around  is stupid.

radar

Long was force fed Petrino, he wanted to hire Grobe or Bowden. The man has not hired a successful football coach at any school he worked.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: radar on September 22, 2017, 11:36:14 pm
Long was force fed Petrino, he wanted to hire Grobe or Bowden. The man has not hired a successful football coach at any school he worked.
This is true.

Hogs-n-Roses

Hogs-n-Roses

Still about 2/3 of those voted feel Jeff Long is not the guy we need.

Hoggish1

I don't know what CBB's fate will be (I want him to succeed here), but Long needs to go away.  He just doesn't have the IT factor.  Very smarmy character.

Hoggish1

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 09:47:23 am
Sounds real impressive until you realize 8 SEC schools finished in the Top 25 of the Directors Cup and at 20, Arkansas was still 6th in the SEC.  And, of course, the best AD award is from two years ago and the main accomplishments listed in the write up were serving on the playoff committee, firing Petrino, and hiring Bielema.

So, as for the Directors' Cup, his performance is right in line with any middle of the pack SEC AD.  And as for the other...lol

Yes, and along with all that mediocrity we get a smarmy individual.  What's not to like?

Dark Helmet Hog

Jeff Long was White's hire to change the direction of athletics at Arkansas. White picked him because he fit his vision. What else do you need  to know?

Hoggish1

Quote from: hawgon on September 11, 2017, 09:47:23 am
Sounds real impressive until you realize 8 SEC schools finished in the Top 25 of the Directors Cup and at 20, Arkansas was still 6th in the SEC.  And, of course, the best AD award is from two years ago and the main accomplishments listed in the write up were serving on the playoff committee, firing Petrino, and hiring Bielema.

So, as for the Directors' Cup, his performance is right in line with any middle of the pack SEC AD.  And as for the other...lol

Lefty08 said:
You guys do pretty well with this hindsight thing. Bielema was a homerun hire when the hire was made. It hasnt worked out for sure, but Long no doubt made a good hire at the time. He is also really good at his job, which involves much more than hiring football coaches. This is a dumb thread
-----

I think you should go back and read Hawgon's post (No. 4 after the OP—shown above), so you can see that Long is not what he'd like everyone t believe he is...

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 24, 2017, 01:21:48 pm
Lefty08 said:
You guys do pretty well with this hindsight thing. Bielema was a homerun hire when the hire was made. It hasnt worked out for sure, but Long no doubt made a good hire at the time. He is also really good at his job, which involves much more than hiring football coaches. This is a dumb thread
-----

I think you should go back and read Hawgon's post (No. 4 after the OP—shown above), so you can see that Long is not what he'd like everyone t believe he is...

Please describe just how good Long is at his job. Whst exactly has he done to stand out? Was Bielema's buyout included as part of that good job?  Listening?

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on September 24, 2017, 01:11:09 pm
Jeff Long was White's hire to change the direction of athletics at Arkansas. White picked him because he fit his vision. What else do you need  to know?

The same "I need a shower John White" ?

Hoggish1

Quote from: tusked on September 12, 2017, 10:13:55 am
Can someone explain to me what Jeff Long does that is so damn magical.  Tell me something he does that is outside his job description.  Is being competent in what he's getting paid to do all of a sudden makes him a rock star?

He drew up a facilities plan and had the lawyers issue some bonds (borrow money) to pay for it.  He's convinced alumni to help out the athletic department with donations.  Ok, well there were names on the facilities before JL got to the hill so it's not like that was an earth shaking concept.

It's not like the hogs had a bad balance sheet and he had some special financial insight and balanced the budget or found a new line of revenue.  Pro teams have been hitting up fans during the game for years.

Someone tell me what is so great about him, other than doing the job he was hired for.

The same questions could have been asked about John White.  John White hired Jeff Long.  Hope that answers your very good questions.

Hoggish1

Quote from: lefty08 on September 12, 2017, 10:24:54 am
Its because Bjelema was a good hire at the time, they just dont want to admit it.mi have no clue why people hate Long short of ignorance. The dude does his job as well as anyone for what he has to work with

The dude does average for the SEC.  He is nothing special, only average.  And yes, CBB was a good hire at the time and I hope he turns this year around. 

But, CBB asked to be hired and that flattered JL.  JL is nothing special.  If you are a great AD you make chicken salad out of chicken sheet...

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Hoggish1 on September 24, 2017, 01:50:32 pm
The dude does average for the SEC.  He is nothing special, only average.  And yes, CBB was a good hire at the time and I hope he turns this year around. 

But, CBB asked to be hired and that flattered JL.  JL is nothing special.  If you are a great AD you make chicken salad out of chicken sheet...
I had problems with the hire of BB from the beginning. I thought we were onto,Patterson,Petersen or Gundy. These Offenses would have been an easier transition.

Hogs-n-Roses

gchamblee

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 25, 2017, 07:45:48 pm
Bump

this must be your best thread. you have requested it be stickied and now youre bumping it lol.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: gchamblee on September 25, 2017, 08:41:10 pm
this must be your best thread. you have requested it be stickied and now youre bumping it lol.
People are still voting against your boy every day. 2 weeks and you Jeffies are still wanted gone by 2/3 of the people. Have a nice day.

code red

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on September 11, 2017, 10:27:08 am
Got no issues with Long, per se. However, the extension and buyout were suspect when they were given. It wasn't a sound business decision based on performance.
And.  In this world of hunh. Why would you have to protect Bret Bielema?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

mckinneyhog5

What I like most about JL is that he drives the dipshits crazy..
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on September 25, 2017, 08:46:17 pm
What I like most about JL is that he drives the dipshits crazy..
Jeffies n dipshats, what a crew. :)

jkstock04

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 25, 2017, 08:45:28 pm
People are still voting against your boy every day. 2 weeks and you Jeffies are still wanted gone by 2/3 of the people. Have a nice day.
It's an interesting poll...I'm actually surprised by the numbers. Not surprised to see the usual suspects whine and cry about it. They have been dead wrong about nearly everything concerning Jeff Long and Bielema...this poll hurts their feelings.

I'm glad some eyes are beginning to open up about the current culture of our program. This gives me slight hope maybe someday things will change.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

secfan30

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 11, 2017, 09:55:22 am
29-43

I don't care one way or the other for Long, but I am curious what's this record you're speaking of? It seems to omit what Petrino did. Long hired Petrino.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 22, 2017, 09:06:34 pm

No it isn't. Ironic since in some parts of the world the word Yankee refers to all Americans. In the US it generally is used by people that are from or born in the south that want to be a little insulting to northern Americans and still want to live in the past.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on September 25, 2017, 09:56:56 pm
Jeffies n dipshats, what a crew. :)

Quick, trademark that name.......

logic

Quote from: GuvHog on September 12, 2017, 09:28:24 amI'll admit that I gave him high marks for hiring Bret Bielema, he sure fooled me with that one. I really believed Bret would turn things around.
Most of us did.  However, almost none of us would have given BB a big raise and increase the buyout by about $11 million after several years of losing football games.

logic

Quote from: lefty08 on September 12, 2017, 09:55:30 am
Garbage! Even the drunk off the street wouldn't have increased the buyout by $11 million after several year at or near the bottom of the SEC.

logic

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on September 12, 2017, 10:55:14 am
4-8 vs 3-9
8-5 vs 7-6
8-5 vs 8-5
8-5 vs 7-5

Those are his win totals by year at UNC. He would be eaten alive here for those numbers.
Are you blind?  3 out of 4 years were better at UNC and only a tie for the other year.

longtimeHogfan

With a few notable exceptions hiring coaches is a crap shoot.  They may possess the qualifications, experience, resume, personality and answer all the questions in the right way....and then not cut it.  Or they may do something that activates that 'for cause' clause.  So I don't fault Jeff Long for hiring CBB.  Or Jimmy Dykes.  Not everyone hits a grand slam every time at the plate.   

What I fault JL for is the contract extension and buy-out he gave CBB.  That's borderline criminal and by itself cause to replace him.  And we need to do that first....before any coaching changes.  The next candidate for the head job won't feel comfortable considering the job until he knows who his boss is going to be.   

So long, (pun intended) it's been good to know ya...
So long, it's been good to know ya....
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

logic

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 12, 2017, 03:20:28 pm
I love Hatfield, one of my favorite people, and very good coach.
The reason I put Nutt slightly ahead was because of SEC vs SWC. They both did some very good things at times, and you could argue Nutt had a little more difficult road.
I liked Hatfield too. Hatfield did very well regular season because one week wasn't enough time to prepare for the wishbone or flexbone as Hatfield called it since few if any other teams ran the wishbone.  However, Hatfield was lousy in bowl games because teams had plenty of time to prepare.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: logic on September 26, 2017, 07:58:58 am
I liked Hatfield too. Hatfield did very well regular season because one week wasn't enough time to prepare for the wishbone or flexbone as Hatfield called it since few if any other teams ran the wishbone.  However, Hatfield was lousy in bowl games because teams had plenty of time to prepare.

Most of Ken's conference opponents had five years to figure out how to defense his offense.  So, time to prepare?  Not sure I buy that.   
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 26, 2017, 06:43:58 am
No it isn't. Ironic since in some parts of the world the word Yankee refers to all Americans. In the US it generally is used by people that are from or born in the south that want to be a little insulting to northern Americans and still want to live in the past.

It's also the name of a prominent Professional baseball team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

logic

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on September 26, 2017, 08:09:43 am
Most of Ken's conference opponents had five years to figure out how to defense his offense.  So, time to prepare?  Not sure I buy that.   
That is true for the coaches, but it's not true for the players. In any event, as I recall, Hatfield did good regular season but not in the bowl games.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: logic on September 26, 2017, 08:38:48 am
That is true for the coaches, but it's not true for the players. In any event, as I recall, Hatfield did good regular season but not in the bowl games.

Has a familiar ring doesn't it? 

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: secfan30 on September 25, 2017, 11:16:30 pm
I don't care one way or the other for Long, but I am curious what's this record you're speaking of? It seems to omit what Petrino did. Long hired Petrino.
That's our record prior to Saturday and Bobby P. isn't on the title . Lots of ways to spin the Bobby thing. He's been gone 6 years and is a POS.

My opinion for the 47th time.
1.  Jeff did not understand the SEC in football
2.  As proof of #1, he would not have considered Bret and his power run offense at all for the job if he understood the SEC
3.  Jeff didn't understand the recruiting power of Arkansas as opposed to the SEC, though he should have.
4,  You didn't have to know any more than #2 to realize Bret wasn't the one for us.
5.  As AD, I believe he upped the buyout and increased the length of contract after a the 3-9 season, but admit, I am not sure, could been the following year.  Still not smart.
6.  I did read most of the notes Long made during the Petrino thing.  I don't consider asking Petrino to tell why he shouldn't fire him as giving him an opportunity to stay.  It's my personal opinion that Long couldn't stand Petrino and his ego attitude.   Its further my opinion that Long seen Petrino as proof that about anyone could win here.  Afterall an ego bound, [CENSORED] could so why not.
7.  Long didn't expect the positive press he got from firing Petrino.  Very few ADs would have fired the Guy but  none could publicly state that after Long did it. 
8.  Long should have reworked Petrinos contract dismissed his girlfriend and claimed he didn't know and reopened the job for applicants.
9.  Petrino would have been given a tighter contract as to who run the operation and how things worked and would have been given the opportunity to refuse it. 
10.  Many here still believe firing Petrino saved the University lawsuits.  The damage had already been done previous to Petrino being fired.  Any lawsuits that could have been filed  still could have been filed and truthfully, maybe still could be filed depending on statutes of limitations.

hassettsportsman

Quite simply, changes are required at the top.  I suggest Chuck Dicus or Bill Montgomery as the new AD.  Frankly, Long is not one of us.  What are the powers that be waiting for?  After all, isn't this a business?  This business model isn't working.  And, when the Allen era ends, Cole Kelley deserves a head coach that fits his style.  I suggest Holtz at La Tech or the Memphis coach. 

jacobp

That's where you're wrong. The "business model" is working just fine.

Why rock the boat when you're still pulling in all that $$

hassettsportsman

From that viewpoint...quite true!  All those skyboxes are filled, but the cheap seats remain quiet..especially in LR.  That's what we need skyboxes in LR for the elite class!

HawgnCorona

Quote from: jacobp on September 26, 2017, 05:43:32 pm
That's where you're wrong. The "business model" is working just fine.

Why rock the boat when you're still pulling in all that $$

Some people do operate their business at a loss for tax purposes, yes?
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Tusks

I have absolutely no confidence in the 'powers that be' at the UA.  I don't see them in anyway shape or form, booting Long.  That group has been out of touch with the fans for decades.  They are great at pulling money from big boosters and that's where there expertise stops.   After that they are average, very average at best.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hassettsportsman

I'll never forget the sound of those choppers coming through the fog in '69..no not in Vietnam or Dixon St..but, at THE Big Game.  There was pure HOG energy that day...that's what I hope for again.  And I don't mean after tailgating.  Perhaps Trump could come and lead a Hog call...that would be worth many votes if not ticket sales.