Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morris hire means GOBN alive and well

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, December 05, 2017, 03:51:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

If Morris is indeed the hire rest assured the GOBN is alive and well with Jerruh leading the charge. The over emphasis of Texas ties above record shows that because they are stuck in the past. Morris was the conservative safe choice because he fits their mold.  How could a young guy with no Texas ties like Norvell come in and be successful.  And Monte's kid is just a disrespectful little smart ass.  Venables well you see Chad Morris Texas by Gawd.

For a state that prides itself on hating Texas these old low T'ers sure do have an obsession with it.

Just funny how if he was all that and a bag of chips the two Texas schools who have had openings the last two years took a hard pass. Maybe it's because their expectations are higher. Let's hope ours are too but if not it will still be like the good ole days when FogHorn LegHorn and Yosemite Sam ran the show
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Oliver

It will show that once again we are too dumb to win

soso

OtterHog

I agree. The phrase "texas ties" is starting to give me cancer.

CaliforniaHawg

Maybe they like Morris because he recruited Deshaun Watson and built the offense for the team that won the national championship last season.

Maybe it's more about that, and has nothing to do with Texas.

The_Iceman

It will mean we hired an excellent young coach.

Tony Perkis

I'll be done with the program and I know many that will be with me. Really the dumbest possible move. Surely they have felt the backlash from the name being leaked. It isn't hard to read.

secfan30

Quote from: CaliforniaHawg on December 05, 2017, 03:53:23 pm
Maybe they like Morris because he recruited Deshaun Watson and built the offense for the team that won the national championship last season.

This could be a lot of it.

Hank351

It would just mean that Jerry is more involved than I expected him to be

razordan

December 05, 2017, 03:56:26 pm #9 Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:06:54 pm by razordan
Morris talked crap about Arkansas. He can go eat his boogers somewhere else as far as I'm concerned. I will not support him.

OtterHog

Quote from: razordan on December 05, 2017, 03:56:26 pm
Morris talked crap about Arkansas. He can go go eat his boogera somewhere else as far as I'm concerned. I will not support him.

and he's a friggin Aggie

Tony Perkis

Here's a stat for you. Morris has only been responsible for recruiting 7 4* or higher players. Also, Clemson's offense is statistically better since he left.

jgphillips3

His recruiting has been at best equal to, and at worst, worse than Jones.  If your reputation is built around being an offensive guru and a recruiter and you are in the heart of DFW, you ought to do better.  Before you say entrance requirements, James Franklin at Vanderbilt.  That's what I'm looking for.  Morris isn't that OR he hasn't yet shown he can be that.

a shady hog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 05, 2017, 03:51:28 pm
If Morris is indeed the hire rest assured the GOBN is alive and well with Jerruh leading the charge. The over emphasis of Texas ties above record shows that because they are stuck in the past. Morris was the conservative safe choice because he fits their mold.  How could a young guy with no Texas ties like Norvell come in and be successful.  And Monte's kid is just a disrespectful little smart ass.  Venables well you see Chad Morris Texas by Gawd.

For a state that prides itself on hating Texas these old low T'ers sure do have an obsession with it.

Just funny how if he was all that and a bag of chips the two Texas schools who have had openings the last two years took a hard pass. Maybe it's because their expectations are higher. Let's hope ours are too but if not it will still be like the good ole days when FogHorn LegHorn and Yosemite Sam ran the show
Except that Norvell does have Texas ties. He was born and raised there!

HotlantaHog

Yes, this.
--Best OC at a championship program.
--Great recruiter (Deshawn Watson from Georgia and others)
--Turned around two programs.
--Born in Dallas, coached high school in Texas, Texas A&M alum. Deep ties in Texas where Hogs need to recruit.

He was not my first choice, but he looks like a great fit for Arkansas.

ChicoHog

Quote from: soso on December 05, 2017, 03:52:29 pm
Trust me they wanted Horton
I think they just want someone they can "control" and get access.  Obviously Horton fits that and probably Morris. 

Calling All Hogs

We will be in the same place Auburn was when they hired Chizik as we try to put a positive spin on hiring a coach with a losing record. This is the last thing Arkansas fans need after Bert. It is a terrible business decision on the part of the UA.

Wildhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 05, 2017, 03:54:26 pm

Morris is like 50 years old.  He's not some young up and comer.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Philip Seaton

He recruited Watson to where? Clemson. You honestly think Watson would have went to SMU because of Morris? No. So what!

He built? Tired of that too. He was the offensive coordinator when Clemson won the national title. He was two years removed. To say they would have won the National Title with him as coordinator is nothing more than guess.

He won 7 games this season, three of those were by 4 points or less to teams that were 3-9 or worse. And spare me the SMU was building crap too, the Mustangs were two years removed from back-to-back bowl games.

CaliforniaHawg

Quote from: Tony Perkis on December 05, 2017, 03:56:58 pm
Here's a stat for you. Morris has only been responsible for recruiting 7 4* or higher players. Also, Clemson's offense is statistically better since he left.

Of course it got statistically better, because he left before he could see through Watson's development. But make no mistake, he brought Watson to Clemson and built that offense.

OtterHog

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 05, 2017, 03:58:56 pm
We will be in the same place Auburn was when they hired Chizik as we try to put a positive spin on hiring a coach with a losing record. This is the last thing Arkansas fans need after Bert. It is a terrible business decision on the part of the UA.

This. The PC for Morris will be awkward.

I want that feeling we had during the Petrino PC.

But that's a pipe dream it would seem.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: secfan30 on December 05, 2017, 03:55:04 pm
This could be a lot of it.

Morris' replacement at Clemson just won the Broyles Award today, they have done better than okay since he left what, 3 or 4 years ago?

I can see giving a guy credit for a team's success one year after he leaves, but 3-4?

It doesn't take that long to run a program in the ditch, does the name John L. Smith ring a bell?
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

CaliforniaHawg

Quote from: Philip Seaton on December 05, 2017, 03:59:45 pm
He recruited Watson to where? Clemson. You honestly think Watson would have went to SMU because of Morris? No. So what!

He built? Tired of that too. He was the offensive coordinator when Clemson won the national title. He was two years removed. To say they would have won the National Title with him as coordinator is nothing more than guess.

He won 7 games this season, three of those were by 4 points or less to teams that were 3-9 or worse. And spare me the SMU was building crap too, the Mustangs were two years removed from back-to-back bowl games.

Watson could have gone anywhere. He chose Clemson, in large part because of his relationship with Morris. They still talk on an almost daily basis.

Two years removed from back-to-back bowl games and ONE YEAR removed from a ONE WIN season.

Tony Perkis

Quote from: CaliforniaHawg on December 05, 2017, 03:59:57 pm
Of course it got statistically better, because he left before he could see through Watson's development. But make no mistake, he brought Watson to Clemson and built that offense.
If you think Morris was the reason Watson went to Clemson you are mistaken.

ipigsooie

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 05, 2017, 03:54:26 pm

Is 50 young? If so I can't wait to run home and tell my wife!

jabberjawls

We will be regretting that we hired Morris and let Norvell go.   Maybe these rich guys can pay of the stadium expansion when we are going 6-6 and having 30,000 in the seats.  I can't believe the stupidity.

ipigsooie

Quote from: razordan on December 05, 2017, 03:56:26 pm
Morris talked crap about Arkansas. He can go go eat his boogers somewhere else as far as I'm concerned. I will not support him.

Can anyone get audio or video of this? That would be amazing!

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: jabberjawls on December 05, 2017, 04:02:36 pm
Maybe these rich guys can pay of the stadium expansion when we are going 6-6 and having 30,000 in the seats.  I can't believe the stupidity.
Morris as coach won't draw 30,000.

CaliforniaHawg

Quote from: Tony Perkis on December 05, 2017, 04:01:43 pm
If you think Morris was the reason Watson went to Clemson you are mistaken.

Morris offered him as a sophomore, who was playing in a Double-Wing T offense, barely throwing the football. Watson committed after his sophomore season. He is undoubtedly a LARGE part of the reason Watson went to Clemson.

Jzilla

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: ipigsooie on December 05, 2017, 04:03:56 pm
Can anyone get audio or video of this? That would be amazing!

That would ne awesome

pghawg1

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on December 05, 2017, 04:04:40 pm
Morris as coach won't draw 30,000.

He is not here to draw crowds , just super innovated plays

onebadrubi

Qft

dfwalumdad

it would be hiring a coach by any measure worse than the coach we just fired and is the media going to have a field day with that!

mark my words....."ok let me get this straight you fire bret beilema because he goes 19-20 over the last 3 years and you hire chad morris who went 14-22 in a non p5 conference!"

hope they like half filled stadiums.

CaliforniaHawg

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 05, 2017, 04:00:32 pm
Morris' replacement at Clemson just won the Broyles Award today, they have done better than okay since he left what, 3 or 4 years ago?

I can see giving a guy credit for a team's success one year after he leaves, but 3-4?

It doesn't take that long to run a program in the ditch, does the name John L. Smith ring a bell?

Clemson hadn't won 10 games since 1990 before they hired Morris in 2011. His first year, they went from 86th to 23rd in the country in total offense.

Since Morris was hired as OC and since he's left, they haven't won any less than 10 games.

Yes, Clemson is still rolling without Morris, thanks to the offense he installed and the guy running it who Morris hired as his RB coach in 2011.

Morris doesn't get 100% credit for all of it, but you're a fool to think he didn't play a MAJOR part in setting the table for Clemson and its offense to become what it is today.

a shady hog

It's so freaking sad that people have to SELL us Morris and nobody is hoping on! Morris is Houston Nutt 2.0!

hogmolar

Could it be the timing of the whole Zeke thing in the NFL and Jerry threatening to sue them, plays out in our hire.  Jerry needs to feel in control because he lost some of that on the Goodell extension and Zeke suspension.  Boosters are reached out too, he sees the opportunity to be in control of one hire if he can't another and jumps into action.  Just a thought about the circumstances. 

duckman

It also means the Stadium will be half full for the opener.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quit trying to explain away his record as an HC or prop it up by saying what a great coordinator he was. Plenty of great coordinators fail as HCs or are just fair to middling HCs. So far that's what Chad Morris is but Jerruh loves him
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 05, 2017, 03:51:28 pm

All I heard for 2 months was how we needed Arkansas people running the show, now that it looks like Arkansas people are running the show, we don't want that?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

pghawg1

What did we do when the GOB were here before, Won a national championship in b-ball, went to final 4 several times, won 40  national championships in track. built Walton area, built Bawm stadium, won a lot of football games under Hotlz, Hatfield,even Nutt.

Harleigh Hog

The fact SO many are calling him a great recruiter is amazing to me!  OK I get it, he got Deshaun Watson but what else has he done?  BB recruited a couple of game changer TE's that are killing it in the NFL.  We see how far that got us...

The 2 years Norvell has been at Memphis he out recruited Morris both years and beat him on the field as well.

GOBN is killing us...

fullfan

GOBN is killing us...

[/quote]
Yep same GOBN that fired Long and Bielema with no plan in place.  No stability and too many influences for any big time coach to trust.

Hog Red

Quote from: CaliforniaHawg on December 05, 2017, 04:09:08 pm
Clemson hadn't won 10 games since 1990 before they hired Morris in 2011. His first year, they went from 86th to 23rd in the country in total offense.

Since Morris was hired as OC and since he's left, they haven't won any less than 10 games.

Yes, Clemson is still rolling without Morris, thanks to the offense he installed and the guy running it who Morris hired as his RB coach in 2011.

Morris doesn't get 100% credit for all of it, but you're a fool to think he didn't play a MAJOR part in setting the table for Clemson and its offense to become what it is today.
SMU defense ranked #122 out of #130 in yds/g (487). Only beat two teams with winning records this year (Ark St., North Texas). Lost 3 of last 4. He should be expected to win at SMU in that conference recruiting out of the DFW area.