Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

77 Hogs: "There's a Lot of Character There"

Started by Mike Irwin, October 22, 2017, 07:40:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woodrow hog call

Wow it makes me feel old reading that, still good though, just doesn't seem like it's been 40 years. Good read Mike.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

alohawg

Thanks for sharing. I see Holtz on the Danimals shoulder......great great times those were for us hog fans. This was probably the single greatest night I can recall as a fan. I remember playing a game of pick up b-ball with Dan at the old outside court Jacksonville rec center a few years after this. 1984 iirc, the year prior to them winning the SB. Such a mountain of a man he was/is.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Mo_Better_Hogs

Wow, nice read Mike.

Something stands out—especially in the context of our current football situation—read about how the offensive line coach picked up on something and made adjustments. Same for the defensive line coach, tweaking a few things and shutting down the best offense in the country. That Orange Bowl night had inspired coaching and inspired playing.

Steef

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Steef on October 23, 2017, 05:14:32 am
Best Hog team ever. Period.

Thanks, Mike.

I agree.  Don't think even the 1964 NC team would want to line up against the 1977 team. 

Been listening, watching, or attending since 1953, and there is nothing to compare to that special group of players.

Complete 1978 Orange Bowl game linked below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ3Jg321pK0

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

snoblind

I think one could make an argument for one of the best Arkansas staffs ever put together also.

My freshman year at Arkansas.  Good times to be hanging out in Fayetteville and a good time to be a Hog fan.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: snoblind on October 23, 2017, 02:12:30 pm
I think one could make an argument for one of the best Arkansas staffs ever put together also.

My freshman year at Arkansas.  Good times to be hanging out in Fayetteville and a good time to be a Hog fan.

Meant to add this in the above post.  Since you mentioned Holtz's group of assistants as possibly one of the best at Arkansas.  I thought I would share a comment I heard Holtz mention on one of his shows on ESPN a few years ago.

Questions were asked around about the best team he had ever coached.  And without hesitation Holtz said his 1977 team at Arkansas was the best team he had ever coached.  And remember he had a national championship at ND.

From Mike's piece it appears that some of his players agreed they were the best team that year.

snoblind

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on October 23, 2017, 04:12:43 pm
Meant to add this in the above post.  Since you mentioned Holtz's group of assistants as possibly one of the best at Arkansas.  I thought I would share a comment I heard Holtz mention on one of his shows on ESPN a few years ago.

Questions were asked around about the best team he had ever coached.  And without hesitation Holtz said his 1977 team at Arkansas was the best team he had ever coached.  And remember he had a national championship at ND.

From Mike's piece it appears that some of his players agreed they were the best team that year.

One reason we didn't finish the regular season undefeated.  Earl Campbell.  That was a man who could ball.

ND was seriously good that year so I don't know if we could have beaten them.  Looked it up once, seems like there 10-12, maybe more, who played in the NFL including a QB who did ok at San Francisco.

moses_007

Just watched the Orange Bowl victory in its entirety...hadn't seen it in years.  I had forgotten that Houston Nutt was the backup quarterback in that game for Arkansas, and he played two series, one in each half.  Nutt simply couldn't beat out Ron Calcagni for the starting job.

Justagp

Thank you Mike, that was a great read and a great team.

Wild Bill Hog

Iwastherein1969

October 25, 2017, 10:52:33 pm #16 Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:27:58 am by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: moses_007 on October 23, 2017, 08:24:52 pm
Just watched the Orange Bowl victory in its entirety...hadn't seen it in years.  I had forgotten that Houston Nutt was the backup quarterback in that game for Arkansas, and he played two series, one in each half.  Nutt simply couldn't beat out Ron Calcagni for the starting job.
He couldn't sniff #18's jock. Calcagni was tough as a 2 dollar steak. Not fast, but faster than Barry Switzer gave him credit for being. Barry Switzer calls that team that we beat in the Orange Bowl his greatest collegiate team ever. Starting Sooner backfield, QB-Thomas Lott, FB-Kenny King (star for the Oakland Raiders), left side tailback in the wish bone, Elvis Peacock, and right side tailback in the bone, some guy from Hooks, Tx named Billy Sims (all world)...and we dominated them, the game was never close....we can be that team again with proper recruiting and better yet, great coaching
The long Grey line will never fail our country.