Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lest Anyone Think It Was Just Hog Fans Questioning Officiating @ Yesterday's Gam

Started by Vantage 8 dude, March 20, 2017, 10:44:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Vantage 8 dude

Just in case some think that our fans being upset with the very spotty (trying to be polite) officiating in yesterday's game against North Carolina was "off base", here's something from the folks at Yahoo Sports. In an article entitled "The Five Worst Calls In the NCAA Tournament" they noted "North Carolina's travel/charge with under a minute to play in North Carolina's game against eight-seeded Arkansas, the Tar Heels lead by one. Joel Berry had the ball with five seconds left on the shot clock. He drove to his right, picked up his dribble after two bounces and took---three? Four? Five steps? It was certainly more than two". Of course as you may recall the shot he took was a miss; however, the put back made the score 68-65 and the Hogs never got a chance to get any closer the rest of the way.

Nice job of ensuring the home team got their chance to go on to the Sweet 16. While I don't have any particular favorites remaining in the tourney, from now on I can guarantee you I'll be pulling for ANYONE who's playing those clowns!!

40MINSOFHELL

hogsanity

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 20, 2017, 10:44:49 am
Just in case some think that our fans being upset with the very spotty (trying to be polite) officiating in yesterday's game against North Carolina was "off base", here's something from the folks at Yahoo Sports. In an article entitled "The Five Worst Calls In the NCAA Tournament" they noted "North Carolina's travel/charge with under a minute to play in North Carolina's game against eight-seeded Arkansas, the Tar Heels lead by one. Joel Berry had the ball with five seconds left on the shot clock. He drove to his right, picked up his dribble after two bounces and took---three? Four? Five steps? It was certainly more than two". Of course as you may recall the shot he took was a miss; however, the put back made the score 68-65 and the Hogs never got a chance to get any closer the rest of the way.

Nice job of ensuring the home team got their chance to go on to the Sweet 16. While I don't have any particular favorites remaining in the tourney, from now on I can guarantee you I'll be pulling for ANYONE who's playing those clowns!!

Also on that list of 5 horrible calls, was the flagrant 1 that went in favor of the Hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

3kgthog

I sure wish some big Duke booster would help push through the NCAA's penalties for the UNC academic scandal. It covers nine years, so I can't imagine the NCAA even attempting to further sully its reputation by ignoring it. There's just too much evidence (a la Ole Miss) for even them to wash away.

It'd be a nice way for slick Roy to retire after having two titles stripped and the program put on probation. It also might make me feel better about Sunday's game.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2017, 10:51:03 am
Also on that list of 5 horrible calls, was the flagrant 1 that went in favor of the Hogs.
One consistent thing about both calls, both involved Razorbacks being knocked to the floor.

That is frowned upon in basketball, which is why they have those rules to begin with.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Piggfoot

So I understand you impersonate an official at times. That being said does that give you the right to call the game as you see it and not call it as the rules indicate?
In my opinion the problem with all sports is officials calling the game as they see it instead of following the rules.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogsanity

Quote from: Piggfoot on March 20, 2017, 12:47:27 pm
So I understand you impersonate an official at times. That being said does that give you the right to call the game as you see it and not call it as the rules indicate?
Im my opinion the problem with all sports is officials calling the game as they see it instead of following the rules.

I just found it interesting that of the 5 calls the put on the list 2 involved the Hogs.

Fans want it called as they see it, not by the book either 99% of the time. In basketball, we always hear " Let them play " until the refs do that and it turns into a wrestling match.

I said last night I do not know how that crew did not call SOMETHING on the black/charge/walk that play had to be SOMETHING.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RedBird5

So?  Notice he wasn't saying it shouldn't be on the list.  One bad call our way is completely independent from the other

Hollywood870

Moses did miss two free throws with us down three with 25 seconds left guys. Great teams find a way despite that call. We're getting there. Still a bush league call.

Hawg414

and yet in both situations, the rules actually favored the hogs. 

a *correct* call is not the same as a *favorable* call.  in the seton hall game, we got a CORRECT call.  in the UNC game, they got a FAVORABLE call.  or non-call as it was. 

King Kong

The article also called it the call correct by the rule book

gchamblee

Quote from: 40MINSOFHELL on March 20, 2017, 10:46:05 am
They call them UNCheat for a reason.

You are the only one I have ever heard use that term, and you have zero credibility when it comes to rational opinions on officiating. How do you think UNC cheated here? Do you think the university paid the refs?

The play being discussed in this thread was really the only play that pissed me off. I know refs sometimes miss a call and can't see everything that happens, but there was so much movement and contact I couldn't believe they didn't call a foul on him. However, you guys whine about the refs cheating in EVERY GAME WE PLAY and then get upset when nobody pays any attention to you when you have a valid complaint lol.

lakecityhog

Out of the 5 "worst" calls of the tourney 4 of them benefited the higher seeded team. In all 4 of those situations that call gave that higher seeded team a much needed "break" and helped them to overcome the lesser team. Is that just a coincidence? OR maybe it goes a long way towards proving a bias for the "blueblood" programs? Maybe it really does indicate that like Vitale said "ESPN and others really did want Kentucky to win the SEC tourney."

How much does the constant "hyping" of teams like Duke, Kentucky, UNC and a few others really have on officials? How much does ESPN/Networks influence EVERYTHING involved with college sports?

BTW, UNC CHEATS and has for years by keeping players eligible thru BOGUS classes. Unless you have been living under a rock that should be pretty PLAIN!!!

azhog10

Wow, I have no words. For someone who advocates for officials all the time. The only call you have issue with is the call made (by the book might I add) in favor of the hogs. It's clear your hate for MA supersedes any truth to anything that happens in the games.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: gchamblee on March 20, 2017, 01:41:10 pm
How do you think UNC cheated here? Do you think the university paid the refs?

UNC might not have cheated but considering they're the only team left out of 8 that entered the tournament in the ACC(the high and all mighty basketball conference). Players chatting and laughing with the refs coming out of a media timeout towards the end of the game doesn't look good. Then to have missed calls on back to back plays.  Everyone but the refs see the tipped Macon shot that goes out of bounds. Not only that he player follows through and fouls Macon. Macon should've been on the line shooting 3 free throws. Then the travel/charge. 1 or the other should've been called. Not only that he threw an elbow at the end of the play. Per The SEC championship game that's a flagrant 1 foul.

The real Hogules

How about the ball that was tipped by a Tarheel and the officials even went and reviewed the film and STILL managed to give the ball to UNC when the PBP guys both agreed that the UNC player had touched the ball last.
It's a loss I get it, but damn those calls hit at the most inopportune times!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

BallHog1

Quote from: Piggfoot on March 20, 2017, 12:47:27 pm
In my opinion the problem with all sports is officials calling the game as they see it instead of following the rules.
Does reffing at the boys club really count...is that what you are referring to?

gchamblee

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on March 20, 2017, 02:17:18 pm
UNC might not have cheated but considering they're the only team left out of 8 that entered the tournament in the ACC(the high and all mighty basketball conference). Players chatting and laughing with the refs coming out of a media timeout towards the end of the game doesn't look good. Then to have missed calls on back to back plays.  Everyone but the refs see the tipped Macon shot that goes out of bounds. Not only that he player follows through and fouls Macon. Macon should've been on the line shooting 3 free throws. Then the travel/charge. 1 or the other should've been called. Not only that he threw an elbow at the end of the play. Per The SEC championship game that's a flagrant 1 foul.

None of your post is a response to my question. I asked him how UNC cheated. I am still waiting for that to be answered.

Sapperhog

Quote from: Hollywood870 on March 20, 2017, 01:11:11 pm
Moses did miss two free throws with us down three with 25 seconds left guys. Great teams find a way despite that call. We're getting there. Still a bush league call.

This.

Watching him miss both FTs crushed my soul.  We had the opportunities even after the refs swallowed their whistles.

Vantage 8 dude

Uhhh....go back and read my original post verrryyyyyy carefully. I never said that the Hogs' didn't get a break or two. I believe that most teams often during most games. What I DID say is that it wasn't just OUR fans who were complaining and upset over some of the non calls yesterday. Does that explain my original post any more thoroughly?

hogsanity

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on March 20, 2017, 02:44:15 pm
Uhhh....go back and read my original post verrryyyyyy carefully. I never said that the Hogs' didn't get a break or two. I believe that most teams often during most games. What I DID say is that it wasn't just OUR fans who were complaining and upset over some of the non calls yesterday. Does that explain my original post any more thoroughly?

go back and read my posts in this thread. I just found it interesting that out of 48 games played so far, of the 5 worst calls, 2 had occurred in games the Hogs were involved in.

jm

Though it notes that it was the "CORRECT CALL" and state it should not be called late in games.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hogsanity on March 20, 2017, 03:24:23 pm
go back and read my posts in this thread. I just found it interesting that out of 48 games played so far, of the 5 worst calls, 2 had occurred in games the Hogs were involved in.
Whatever....and yes, it is telling indeed that a full 40% of those listed entailed that particular game.

jusgtohogs

for the past coupla years I have taken vacation days for the first and 2nd round games of the tournament.  Needless to say, I saw a lot of basketball.  And in the games I saw I lost count of the walks that weren't called.  Officiating is at an all-time low, and that's saying a lot.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jusgtohogs on March 20, 2017, 04:11:13 pm
for the past coupla years I have taken vacation days for the first and 2nd round games of the tournament.  Needless to say, I saw a lot of basketball.  And in the games I saw I lost count of the walks that weren't called.  Officiating is at an all-time low, and that's saying a lot.
I totally agree! Heck, in an average I'll bet there are close to a half dozen times when kids travel at least three or four steps without any whistle being blown. It's really gotten bbbbbaaaadddddd!!!!!!!