Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball wins v. Samford

Started by JHicks3636, November 12, 2017, 03:34:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

84-63. Monk with 21 points and Cosper with 18.

nwahogfan1

How did we look?  How do we look rebounding the ball?  Can we win 6 games in the SEC?

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 12, 2017, 10:37:52 pm
How did we look?  How do we look rebounding the ball?  Can we win 6 games in the SEC?

We looked okay - an improvement in many ways over Friday. I think Monk was our leading rebounder, but both Williams and Thomas made much more of an impression on offense and defense. I still worry about how we'll do against SEC size, but we won't have to wait too long to get our first test. Next up is Nebraska, and they have a pretty good 6'5" freshman post who will be a challenge for us.

Monk played well, but still has a tendency to chuck up anything on a drive instead of looking around for kicks to open shooters.

Still have a ways to go on defense, but I think overall we had a better performance.

But I am pretty skeptical about 6 conference wins. I think 4 would be pretty impressive, and I'm not sure we'll get there.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on November 12, 2017, 10:51:39 pm
We looked okay - an improvement in many ways over Friday. I think Monk was our leading rebounder, but both Williams and Thomas made much more of an impression on offense and defense. I still worry about how we’ll do against SEC size, but we won’t have to wait too long to get our first test. Next up is Nebraska, and they have a pretty good 6’5” freshman post who will be a challenge for us.

Monk played well, but still has a tendency to chuck up anything on a drive instead of looking around for kicks to open shooters.

Still have a ways to go on defense, but I think overall we had a better performance.

But I am pretty skeptical about 6 conference wins. I think 4 would be pretty impressive, and I’m not sure we’ll get there.
Excellent analysis.  My input after watching three games.  Still too early to predict how many wins we will get in the SEC - but it will be less than 8.  We will know more after we play our next two road games against Nebraska and Oral Roberts (I will be on the bus trip to Oral Roberts). 
Thomas keeps improving every game and her motor is going constantly when she is out there.  I believe he let them play through their defensive struggles last night.  I predict we will have to use a zone against most SEC teams - especially those with bigs.  Our zone has looked really impressive so far in the two games that they used it on a limited basis.  Swenson will have to make a larger impact and play more minutes than she has.  That will happen when we get to bigger teams I believe.  The two teams that we played this weekend allowed us to play four guards some times.  Mason is looking more comfortable in the offense also.

nwahogfan1

With us having 2 very good players sitting out and one more so far coming in but none are 6'2+ how much better will we be next year?   Do we have to wait until 2019 recruiting class to get SEC size on campus? 

I like the uptempo style and getting more scorers on campus but as we all know you have to have a size to make it into the top 4 in the SEC and a couple rounds in the T.

psycHOGlogist

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 13, 2017, 08:10:00 am
With us having 2 very good players sitting out and one more so far coming in but none are 6'2+ how much better will we be next year?   Do we have to wait until 2019 recruiting class to get SEC size on campus? 

I like the uptempo style and getting more scorers on campus but as we all know you have to have a size to make it into the top 4 in the SEC and a couple rounds in the T.

I don't think anyone would disagree with you. And it's not that the staff doesn't know it, either. They tried really hard to get 6'5" Jenna Staiti to transfer from Maryland, but she wanted to be closer to home and picked UGA. I look for us to find an Alecia Cooley-type JUCO player this spring. Probably not a world beater, but a serviceable big who can grab rebounds and clog up the middle.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on November 13, 2017, 09:55:52 am
I don't think anyone would disagree with you. And it's not that the staff doesn't know it, either. They tried really hard to get 6'5" Jenna Staiti to transfer from Maryland, but she wanted to be closer to home and picked UGA. I look for us to find an Alecia Cooley-type JUCO player this spring. Probably not a world beater, but a serviceable big who can grab rebounds and clog up the middle.

both you and Coach LBBF are right in your analysis, he will let them play through mistakes.  This last game is the first game I saw Swenson actually getting it.  She will improve.  Two players (monk and thomas) just missed double doubles as they both had nine boards.  thomas is our most athletic big, although Williams is a good offensive athlete, both are still too foul prone but from here on in comes the real test.  Nebraska has three bigs that should really test us.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

BWS

Williams looked liked she had a good offseason. She appears to be more physically toned from last season.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: BWS on November 13, 2017, 10:22:36 am
Williams looked liked she had a good offseason. She appears to be more physically toned from last season.

she is just 6-1 however, Swenson, thomas and her cant really match up against 6-4,5 girls
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

I would also like to ppint out that (in the honor to whom honor is due column) that NorBaker is a valuable addition.  She didnt score as she did in the first exhibition but since she has played valuable minutes as she did in the game.  22 minutes, and six assists.

As I said earlier, Thomas and Williams are hustling getting boards and inside points, 13, and 10 respectively, and they both played 19 minutes.  In this contest at least they werent foul prone either, with 0 and 1 pf, respectively.  I think that is due to the zone.  A zone generally protects your inside players from picking up fouls that come from the perimeter players getting beat on drives and the bigs having to cover for them.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 13, 2017, 10:33:49 am
she is just 6-1 however, Swenson, thomas and her cant really match up against 6-4,5 girls
We will get a quick test of this issue.  Nebraska has a 6'5" freshman center, Kate Cain, who made 9of 15 shots and grabbed 9 rebounds in her first game against SIU Edwardsville.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on November 14, 2017, 02:12:14 pm
  We will get a quick test of this issue.  Nebraska has a 6'5" freshman center, Kate Cain, who made 9of 15 shots and grabbed 9 rebounds in her first game against SIU Edwardsville.

They also have five players 6-2 or taller.  They are generally taller than us but they have (albeit just one game shows on their stats so that is iffy) a guard/forward dominated offense with the exception of Cain.  They also have a 6-1 freshman forward Kessinger as their fourth leading scorer, two of the leading scorers are 5-6/5-9 guards. 

I am hopeful that we will use a zone and traps to neutralize their height.  Conditioning may also begin to play a role mid third and fourth quarters. We will see, as both you and Psych have alluded to, just how we might stack up for the year in this contest against taller teams. 

Oral Roberts does not have any stats yet, but they dont appear to have any more height than us.  Neither UTEP or New Mexico State appear to have much of a height advantage over us either. 

Kansas would appear to be our next height challenged test - they have six players 6-2 and taller, three of them 6-5.

LadybackBBFan

Nebraska has a game tonight.  This might help us on their conditioning.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on November 14, 2017, 03:47:36 pm
Nebraska has a game tonight.  This might help us on their conditioning.

haha, on one hand I hope that leaves them with tired legs.  But on the other hand, I kinda want a true test!

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on November 14, 2017, 04:30:14 pm
haha, on one hand I hope that leaves them with tired legs.  But on the other hand, I kinda want a true test!
But it would also be nice to get a win against a big name program on the road to boost the morale of a team that had none at the end of last season.

flippinhogmana

I will always take the win!  There is a good game prep interview with MN on the school site that is well worth watching by the way.  Near the end he talks about dealing with their height.