Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fort Chaffee Permit hunts

Started by MF, November 19, 2008, 12:34:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnHog

Quote from: RunnerHog on November 23, 2008, 10:37:15 pm
Was the guys name Hawgon, based on his post I think he would have trouble killing one by himself.

Doubt it.  I'm staying WAY out of this one.

woodrow hog call

[Nope.  I got to the gate about 3:05 or so coming from Greenwood on 96.  If I were guessing I'd say I was somewhere between 15 and 20th truck coming from the south side.  Of course there was also the lane coming from the north end, so I was probably the 30th-40th truck through the gate.  Glad I got there as early as I did.  I was thinking I was crazy for getting up that early when it was almost 8:00 and I hadn't even seen a deer yet. In the past when I've bow hunted this spot when 7a is open I've seen lots of deer.  I didn't see anything till almost 8:00.  From then till when I pulled the trigger at about 9 I saw 5, and I think the only buck was the one I shot.  I did jump up another decent buck on the way the truck about 10:00.  How big were those hogs you shot?

The boar was the biggest of the two, I'm guessing him to be in the 250 lb-300 lb range, heavy enough he was hard to roll over trying to gut, I wanted him more for the trophy aspect of it, but I should of just concentrated on getting the sow out, for the meat. I was down in the bottom toward the creek so it was all up hill back to the truck, I tried dragging the sow for a little ways before I gave up.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

arkahuna

I hunted 6b hard and didnt even see a slick head doe. I scouted a week ago and saw deer all over that area. I think there is a big disadvantage in drawing the second day. Not sure it is worth trying muzzleloader next sunday.
Saw a lot of turkeys in 6b though.

ArmyHog

I got the 2nd day muzzle loader also. It's going to be tough to find a place that hasn't been hunted heavily.

woodrow hog call

Anybody have a link to the pics that were taken at the check in over the weekend ? There were some nice bucks taken Saturday, I don't know how it went Sunday.
    Armyhog, the thing you have to remember about Chaffe deer is they are not bothered as much by all the shooting and hunters, they get invaded by your folks frequently so they get used to it.

MF

I heard they weren't taking pictures this year.
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

HuntnHog

I saw them take a picture of a kid with a real nice 8 pt, and they took a picture of my 10 pt.  I didn't think to ask what they were going to do with them.

woodrow hog call

They were taking digtial pic's and then playing a slide show on a laptop sitting in the front of the tent. If anyone knows some of the people that did the check in, ask them about a site or link that we can see them at.

ArmyHog

You're right woodrow. I did a hunt a few years ago that they only let active duty military on the surface cleared area (which is alot of the impact area). I got out of my Jeep and started walking and deer were just watching me walk by them. I killed a 9 point after being out there foe 20 minutes and passing up 3 other bucks. If anyboby wants to see some deer, just go through the drive through only part of the impact area with some binoculars right before the sun goes down. You should see any where between 100-500 deer out on the impact area.

woodrow hog call

I spent about two years working in that area, Live Fire Technician, the best job I ever had, saw large numbers of deer almost every day. I have watched deer feed along as calm as can be while a battle was being fought just a couple hundred yards away. I was civilian so I didn't qualify for that hunt but I'm glad they let you guys do it, I could of guided for it though if they would of let me.
    I laughed about the "fleeced" thread where the guy was saying the grunt calls were a waste of time or something like that. I have shut down a Humvee, leaned out the window and blew a grunt call at deer then watched them either stop, turn around or take a few steps in that direction more than a few times.

arkahuna

Could someone familiar with Chaffee give me some advice. I drew second day hunt for muzzleloader. Last weekend for modern gun I had second day and didnt see a deer in 6b. The previous time I had hunted Chaffee was about 20 years ago. What open area would I have best chance of at least seeing deer for Second Day Muzzleloader. Any help is appreciated.

ArmyHog

That's not a bad area(6B), but it gets bow hunted pretty heavily. I have second day muzzleloader also and our strategy is to get away from the well known areas because they will be hit hard. We will probably start out around 6d or 6e and then go over to 9 or 9a. Now, if you want to go across HWY 96 you should hit 5B or 5A and try to get as close to 1A as possible because that area has been closed for a while. Also think about 7B or if you want to walk a little try 8 or 8A. If you want people to walk up on you go to 7A. You should be able to see deer any of these places I have listed. I trained out there for a long time so I kind of have a good idea of where they are. PM me if you want me to be more specific. I'm not like most hunters, I don't mind giving up good spots, because all the deer will be running anyways.

MF

Well the forecast for Sunday started out good and has continually worsened.  Now they are calling for a high in the 40s with 15 mph winds and gusts to 30.  It may be a good day for walking, but be careful out there.
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

arkahuna

Quote from: ArmyHog on November 27, 2008, 09:49:11 pm
That's not a bad area(6B), but it gets bow hunted pretty heavily. I have second day muzzleloader also and our strategy is to get away from the well known areas because they will be hit hard. We will probably start out around 6d or 6e and then go over to 9 or 9a. Now, if you want to go across HWY 96 you should hit 5B or 5A and try to get as close to 1A as possible because that area has been closed for a while. Also think about 7B or if you want to walk a little try 8 or 8A. If you want people to walk up on you go to 7A. You should be able to see deer any of these places I have listed. I trained out there for a long time so I kind of have a good idea of where they are. PM me if you want me to be more specific. I'm not like most hunters, I don't mind giving up good spots, because all the deer will be running anyways.

Thank You

HuntnHog

Quote from: arkahuna on November 27, 2008, 09:55:27 am
Could someone familiar with Chaffee give me some advice. I drew second day hunt for muzzleloader. Last weekend for modern gun I had second day and didnt see a deer in 6b. The previous time I had hunted Chaffee was about 20 years ago. What open area would I have best chance of at least seeing deer for Second Day Muzzleloader. Any help is appreciated.
7a is hard to beat, but by now has been hit pretty hard.  I've shot 5 deer out of 1 tree in there over the past several years. The only time I've ever sat in that tree and not seen a deer was 2 years ago, last day of blackpowder hunt, with high winds.  So, hard to tell what it will be like this weekend.  If I were going, I'd still head to 7a.  If the weather and the wind is going to be rough, I'd try to hunt an area close to impact that is going to have enough hunters to get the deer moving.  Several of the deer I've shot in 7a were later in the morning and deer that I probably would have never seen if someone else hadn't got them moving while on they way back to the truck.  Get there early, and stay late.  Save the deer drives for middle of the day.  I shot a nice 10 pt last Saturday at 9a.m. that was 20" outside but was tore up a little, and jumped up another nice buck on the way back to my truck after 10 a.m. last Saturday.  Pretty sure he made it to impact safely.  They are out there.  Let the other hunters push 'em to you.  Good luck.

MF

Holy moley...20 mph winds with 35 mph gusts tomorrow! 

ArmyHog

Went back out to 7A and 6E today. Passed up a bunch of does, I just wanted horns today but no luck. Conditions were horrible. This morning started with sleet, then light snow and then 20-30mph winds out of the north. I bet I didn't here 8 shots all day, unheard of on a Chaffee permit hunt.

hawgtusks

Just curious - did they let permit hunters on area 1A this year?  There's gotta be some nice bucks holed up in there since they've only been hunted a few select days since the area has been pretty much on permanent lockdown after 9/11.

MF

It was about the same west of 96.  My cousin counted 8 shots including mine.  I told myself I would take any 8 point I saw and got a small 7 point at 8:10 because it didn't have an eye guard on one side.  It was the only deer I saw on Sunday.

When I checked the biologist said everyone was in 1A and 7A and there weren't many being checked.