Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The freshmen...

Started by Swinesong1, February 13, 2018, 08:07:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 13, 2018, 09:41:22 pm
Gabe, Hall and Bailey will be our starting frontcourt next season.

Take that how you will. It gives me equal parts excitement and trepidation.

That will not be the starting front court next year, almost certain about that. If Gafford does in fact leave, it will be:

SF- Hall. This is a lock. Who plays behind him will all depend on if Garland is back and how everything shakes out. Phillips is the natural SF fit, but Mike could go small off the bench.

PF- Gabe Osabuohien. We really started to see the flashes on offense last night. Knocked down a smooth jumper, handled the ball well, attacked the basket and threw in some spin moves. Bailey will back up unless he greatly improves and expands his game. Gabe is overall a better player.

C- Reggie Chaney. At 6'8" 230lb, he really should be a PF, but the size at SF will offset that some. Henderson is a smaller Gafford and will be a decent backup with added weight.

That would give you front court of 6'6" 210lb, 6'8" 219lb, and 6'8" 230lb. While not having the tall center, it is a good overall size.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2018, 09:38:47 am
That will not be the starting front court next year, almost certain about that. If Gafford does in fact leave, it will be:

SF- Hall. This is a lock. Who plays behind him will all depend on if Garland is back and how everything shakes out. Phillips is the natural SF fit, but Mike could go small off the bench.

PF- Gabe Osabuohien. We really started to see the flashes on offense last night. Knocked down a smooth jumper, handled the ball well, attacked the basket and threw in some spin moves. Bailey will back up unless he greatly improves and expands his game. Gabe is overall a better player.

C- Reggie Chaney. At 6'8" 230lb, he really should be a PF, but the size at SF will offset that some. Henderson is a smaller Gafford and will be a decent backup with added weight.

That would give you front court of 6'6" 210lb, 6'8" 219lb, and 6'8" 230lb. While not having the tall center, it is a good overall size.

I mean, Adrio Bailey is a sometimes-starter for this team. He's done more than Gabe has. This smells of recency bias. Unless something has gone south with him in the staff's eyes, I would expect him to be in line for a starting spot next year and I think he should be starting at the 4 right now. If there is something behind the scenes, obviously that changes things.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2018, 10:00:10 am
I mean, Adrio Bailey is a sometimes-starter for this team. He's done more than Gabe has. This smells of recency bias. Unless something has gone south with him in the staff's eyes, I would expect him to be in line for a starting spot next year and I think he should be starting at the 4 right now. If there is something behind the scenes, obviously that changes things.

Bailey has scored 20 points and grabbed 19 rebounds in 13 SEC games. He is only about 6'6" while Gabe is 6'8". Unless Bailey develops a jump shot, I just don't see him being any more than a solid bench contributor. He is just too limited.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2018, 10:08:29 am
Bailey has scored 20 points and grabbed 19 rebounds in 13 SEC games. He is only about 6'6" while Gabe is 6'8". Unless Bailey develops a jump shot, I just don't see him being any more than a solid bench contributor. He is just too limited.

So Mike is going to start is two "biggest" players in Gabe and Chaney? Does that sound like the Mike you know?

The_Iceman

February 14, 2018, 10:17:49 am #54 Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:32:36 am by The_Iceman
Quote from: Hawg Red on February 14, 2018, 10:11:20 am
So Mike is going to start is two "biggest" players in Gabe and Chaney? Does that sound like the Mike you know?

No, his 2nd string frontcourt will be:

SF- 6'6" Phillips
PF- 6'6" Bailey (listed at 6'7", I just don't think he is that tall)
C- 6'9" Henderson

While being shorter at Center without Gafford, we should be an overall more athletic team with more depth at the guard spots. However, we won't be trotting out Macon or Barford next year either at guard, and the loss of Gafford will be devastating.

HoopS

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 14, 2018, 06:13:41 am
Gabe has been a nice addition to the team dynamics the past few games.  He demonstrated some serious immaturity at one point last night and maybe some insight as to why it took him until late to play during critical times of a game.  Could have gotten a T as easily as it was to read his lips saying something he shouldn't with kids watching. 
meh. He got pushed off and given a foul for his trouble. It was indeed, BS

hawgfan4life

Go review that play and the following moments.  I agree the call was questionable and I wasn't too worried about his language, but that isn't what we want to see from our players.  I'm talking about his demeanor in general, and actions in general, and his comments to the official.  He crossed a line that could have and should have gotten a T and it was well after the point a mature player should have let it go.  If he has been this way in practice, it would explain MA being cautious in getting him into games when it is critical we don't lose our composure.

I stated an observation and not a condemnation. 

mykidsdad

Quote from: hawgfan4life on February 14, 2018, 07:26:10 pm
Go review that play and the following moments.  I agree the call was questionable and I wasn’t too worried about his language, but that isn’t what we want to see from our players.  I’m talking about his demeanor in general, and actions in general, and his comments to the official.  He crossed a line that could have and should have gotten a T and it was well after the point a mature player should have let it go.  If he has been this way in practice, it would explain MA being cautious in getting him into games when it is critical we don’t lose our composure.

My observation is that the call was bad and he reacted because it was a bad call. Didn't say anything to the ref just reacted to the bad call. Nothing to it unless you have a rabbit ear'ed ref would never be a T.

c-townfan

Go review that play and the following moments.  I agree the call was questionable and I wasn't too worried about his language, but that isn't what we want to see from our players.  I'm talking about his demeanor in general, and actions in general, and his comments to the official.  He crossed a line that could have and should have gotten a T and it was well after the point a mature player should have let it go.  If he has been this way in practice, it would explain MA being cautious in getting him into games when it is critical we don't lose our composure.

He said nothing directly to the referee. Just said out loud that was horrible, f*****g horrible with a really ugly scowl.  It was indeed horrible and it's called intensity. I am totally cool with that.

razorback1829

LOL I'm sorry this isn't the boy and girls club of northwest Arkansas. There's a lot of sh*t said out there the whole game. Refs would go crazy callin techs by your logic. And it had absolutely nothing to do with his PT.

razorbackfanatic

Gafford will be back if he's smart. Maybe he could sneak into the first round if he keeps getting better as the season goes on, but if he comes back and plays how he has the last couple games all next season and polishes more on his back to the basket game and his defense, he could be a lottery pick at the end of next season.

My starting 5 prediction next year:

G Keyshawn Embery
G CJ Jones to start season/ Isaiah Joe by mid way
G Darious Hall
F Gabe O.
F Daniel Gafford

Next 5
G Jordan Phillips
G Desi Sills
F Reggie Chaney
F Adrio Bailey
F Ethan Henderson

I think Chaney will eventually start over Gabe for his offense and we end up bringing Gabe off the bench for his energy, toughness and defense.

Next year is loaded with very good guards. The future is bright.

The remainder of this seasons id like to see Gabe playing around 22-25 minutes a game. Cook around 5-7, Bailey(when he comes back) 5-7 and Thomas 8-10. I think Gabe is turning into that Manny Watkins glue guy we miss so badly from last season and I saw some handles and offensive ability Tuesday night that I didn't know he had. I really think he is going to be a nice player before he is done here. A Coty Clark type guy.

razorbackfanatic

We really need to recruit another true big man, imo we really need one on this years squad. A 5 in Mike's system so another Portis, Kingsley, Thompson, Gafford. Gafford struggles right now in the paint against stronger guys bc he is 6'11" 235, his lower body development this off season can really help him next year. If he can get up to around 245 he's going to be a major force.

Henderson is 6'9" but is much thinner than Gafford, he is going to struggle guarding 5's, especially as a freshman. Chaney has good stature, but is a true 4 at 6'7" to 6'8". He reminds me somewhat of a Marshawn Powell type. If Gafford does happen to leave early, we would desperately need to recruit another big that's 6'9"+ that can bang some.

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorbackfanatic on February 15, 2018, 03:00:03 am
Gafford will be back if he's smart. Maybe he could sneak into the first round if he keeps getting better as the season goes on, but if he comes back and plays how he has the last couple games all next season and polishes more on his back to the basket game and his defense, he could be a lottery pick at the end of next season.

G Keyshawn Embery
G Darious Hall
F Gabe O.
F Daniel Gafford

Next 5
G Jordan Phillips
G Desi Sills
F Reggie Chaney
F Adrio Bailey
F Ethan Henderson

I think Chaney will eventually start over Gabe for his offense and we end up bringing Gabe off the bench for his energy, toughness and defense.

The remainder of this seasons id like to see Gabe playing around 22-25 minutes a game. Cook around 5-7, Bailey(when he comes back) 5-7 and Thomas 8-10. I think Gabe is turning into that Manny Watkins glue guy we miss so badly from last season and I saw some handles and offensive ability Tuesday night that I didn't know he had. I really think he is going to be a nice player before he is done here. A Coty Clark type guy.

You forgot PG Jalen Harris. Also, Phillips is a true SF, like Hall, and won't play guard. I know he isn't likely to come back, but Garland would need to be accounted for if he does.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: c-townfan on February 14, 2018, 11:04:11 pm
He said nothing directly to the referee. Just said out loud that was horrible, f*****g horrible with a really ugly scowl.  It was indeed horrible and it's called intensity. I am totally cool with that.

When they were setting up on the lane for free throws, he looked right at the red about to throw the ball in and said something to that official.  That was after they had already allowed his actions right after the call.  This was after the foul was reported and they were set up to shoot foul shots.  Well after the play and he wasn't letting it go.  He said the F word again at that point along with a comment directed at the official.  The ref ignored it, but there are several that won't and if he gets a T at a critical time in a game and we lose, all of the posters praising that immaturity as a player will be calling him all kinds of stuff and criticizing MA for not having stopped it.

razorback1829

G Keyshawn Embery
G Darious Hall
F Gabe O.
F Daniel Gafford

Next 5
G Jordan Phillips
G Desi Sills
F Reggie Chaney
F Adrio Bailey
F Ethan Henderson

For the record, Gafford ain't "sneaking" into anybody's first round lol. We just better hope he doesn't get projected late lottery, esp this year.

The_Iceman

My worry is that without Gafford, and without the addition of a big man, we will end up like a lot of the late 90s Nolan teams. Hopefully Chaney is good enough to carry that load.

Hogginintheville

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2018, 09:26:24 am
What makes you think Garland is a true point guard? (If he is even ever cleared to play)

He may be thinking about Harris. Garland isn't a true point guard.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2018, 08:32:23 am
My worry is that without Gafford, and without the addition of a big man, we will end up like a lot of the late 90s Nolan teams. Hopefully Chaney is good enough to carry that load.

Auburn and Tennessee is getting it done without a true big. Williams from Tennessee is listed at 6'7. You just have to adjust to what you have.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2018, 09:34:22 am
Auburn and Tennessee is getting it done without a true big. Williams from Tennessee is listed at 6'7. You just have to adjust to what you have.

I think Ice's point is that it's asking a lot of Chaney to be the rare kind of player Grant Williams is. If he can play to that level of effectiveness, then, yeah, we might be okay. Williams is a unique player, though.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2018, 09:34:22 am

For Tennessee, they have 6'11" Kyle Anderson giving them 20 minutes a game and 6 pts, 6 rebs, and 2 blks.

You are right about Auburn,  they are small. They make up for it with having a true point guard that gives them 6 assists per game. A 6'5" small forward that gives them size of the perimeter. Their scoring in their backcourt is elite. They play with a consistent high energy.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hawg Red on February 15, 2018, 09:42:32 am
I think Ice's point is that it's asking a lot of Chaney to be the rare kind of player Grant Williams is. If he can play to that level of effectiveness, then, yeah, we might be okay. Williams is a unique player, though.

Grant Williams was a 3 star coming out of high school. Many are surprised that he was able to produce this soon.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 14, 2018, 09:26:24 am
What makes you think Garland is a true point guard? (If he is even ever cleared to play)

KG's not a "true PG", but he's a helluva combo guard who can play 1, 2, or 3 ... best class CMA has ever signed really misses what KG brings to the table, because like Gafford, Hall, & Gabe his length and athleticism relative to the other options at his position are superior, and similar to the other freshmen he plays all-out with a high Bball IQ. UA might be 2-3 games better in the W-L column with him in the rotation from day one.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on February 15, 2018, 01:26:23 pm
KG's not a "true PG", but he's a helluva combo guard who can play 1, 2, or 3 ... best class CMA has ever signed really misses what KG brings to the table, because like Gafford, Hall, & Gabe his length and athleticism relative to the other options at his position are superior, and similar to the other freshmen he plays all-out with a high Bball IQ. UA might be 2-3 games better in the W-L column with him in the rotation from day one.

It will be disappointing if we go into the 2018-2019 season with only Hall and Osabuohien left from the 2017 class. Sure hope Garland gets cleared (and Gafford stays!).

Kevin McPherson

If Gafford comes back and Garland is cleared, this would be my lineup (first time in CMA's tenure he'd have a defensive-minded team with the length, athleticism, toughness, and floor IQ to be consistently good at that end) ...

Initial starting group ...

* Darious Hall, 6-6 SF/wing, sophomore ... lock to be a starter, and may be fringe All SEC at this point.
* Gabe Osabuohien, 6-8 combo-4, sophomore ... this role is uncertain, but I like him better defensively than other options and he plays the game the right way.
* Daniel Gafford, 6-11 C, sophomore  ... lock to be All SEC with potential for All American.
* CJ Jones, 6-5 SG, junior ... I think he gets the 1st crack as the starter, but he'll need to develop more from now till then to have a chance to solidify his role as a starter or one who plays starter's role/minutes.
* Jalen Harris, 6-2 PG, redshirt sophomore ... he'll have to prove himself, but out out of the gates I think his experience earns him this role.

Second unit ...

* Khalil Garland, 6-5 combo guard, redshirt freshman ... could be in line for starter-type role/minutes ... better overall player than any of the backcourt options, but 3-point shooting favors guys like Jones, Joe, and Embery, and Harris has an edge at the 1 ... All SEC potential down the road.
* Reggie Chaney, 6-8 combo-4, freshman ... could be in line for starter-type role/minutes, will be best offensive option in the paint not named Gafford ... All SEC potential down the road.
* Isaiah Joe, 6-4 SG, freshman ... could be in line for starter-type role/minutes, best incoming freshman shooter ever at UA in the 3-point-shot era, also a good defender ... All SEC potential down the road.
* Adrio Bailey, 6-6 combo-4, junior ... could be in line for starter-type role/minutes, will be a veteran who could just as easily start at the combo-4 spot.
* Keyshawn Embery, 6-3 combo guard, freshman ... could be in line for starter-type role/minutes, his skill, floor IQ, and versatility make him an attractive option to play the 2 and slide over and help at the 1 ... All SEC potential down the road.

Next line of reserves ...

* Desi Sills, 6-2 combo guard, freshman ... could push for minutes in the Top 10 because of how tough he is and how hard he plays ... because of this, he might be more college-ready than some of the other freshmen guards.
* Jordan Phillips, 6-6 wing, freshman ... don't see him supplanting Hall in the starting lineup, and don't see him being ahead of Khalil Garland either at this stage ... BUT if Garland is not cleared, then possibly bump JP into that 2nd unit.
* Ethan Henderson, 6-8 PF/C, freshman ... will back up Gafford at the 5 and others at the 4, obviously a candidate for the 2nd unit because he's CMA's next best option for a combo of height, length, and athleticism behind Gafford.
* Justice Hill, 5-10 PG, freshman who is expected to enroll mid-term ... plan is for him to practice, then begin playing as a freshman in the '19-20 season ... of course, football might change everything ... All SEC potential down the road for basketball.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 13, 2018, 08:07:07 pm
Hall, Gafford n Gabe carried the Hogs in 2nd half!

Yes they did and if they continue anywhere close to doing that in the future we will be tough to beat. Macon and Barford might get a little room to operate.

Gabe has to play more and more. If you watch him he has skill and sees what is going on. I also think Thompson playing with Gafford is good. Thompson can get the ball to Gafford and Gafford knows he will. Just gave me hope the way they played.

AlmaHog2011

G Keyshawn Embery
G Darious Hall
F Gabe O.
F Daniel Gafford

Next 5
G Jordan Phillips
G Desi Sills
F Reggie Chaney
F Adrio Bailey
F Ethan Henderson

Good post love your take!

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on February 15, 2018, 01:55:57 pm
If Gafford comes back and Garland is cleared, this would be my lineup (first time in CMA's tenure he'd have a defensive-minded team with the length, athleticism, toughness, and floor IQ to be consistently good at that end) ...

* Darious Hall, 6-6 SF/wing, sophomore ... lock to be a starter, and may be fringe All SEC at this point.
* Gabe Osabuohien, 6-8 combo-4, sophomore ... this role is uncertain, but I like him better defensively than other options and he plays the game the right way.
* Daniel Gafford, 6-11 C, sophomore  ... lock to be All SEC with potential for All American.
* CJ Jones, 6-5 SG, junior ... I think he gets the 1st crack as the starter, but he'll need to develop more from now till then to have a chance to solidify his role as a starter or one who plays starter's role/minutes.
* Jalen Harris, 6-2 PG, redshirt sophomore ... he'll have to prove himself, but out out of the gates I think his experience earns him this role.

Second unit ...

* Khalil Garland, 6-5 combo guard, redshirt freshman ... could be in line for starter-type role/minutes ... better overall player than any of the backcourt options, but 3-point shooting favors guys like Jones, Joe, and Embery, and Harris has an edge at the 1 ... All SEC potential down the road.
* Reggie Chaney, 6-8 combo-4, freshman ... could be in line for starter-type role/minutes, will be best offensive option in the paint not named Gafford ... All SEC potential down the road.
* Isaiah Joe, 6-4 SG, freshman ... could be in line for starter-type role/minutes, best incoming freshman shooter ever at UA in the 3-point-shot era, also a good defender ... All SEC potential down the road.
* Adrio Bailey, 6-6 combo-4, junior ... could be in line for starter-type role/minutes, will be a veteran who could just as easily start at the combo-4 spot.
* Keyshawn Embery, 6-3 combo guard, freshman ... could be in line for starter-type role/minutes, his skill, floor IQ, and versatility make him an attractive option to play the 2 and slide over and help at the 1 ... All SEC potential down the road.

* Desi Sills, 6-2 combo guard, freshman ... could push for minutes in the Top 10 because of how tough he is and how hard he plays ... because of this, he might be more college-ready than some of the other freshmen guards.
* Jordan Phillips, 6-6 wing, freshman ... don't see him supplanting Hall in the starting lineup, and don't see him being ahead of Khalil Garland either at this stage ... BUT if Garland is not cleared, then possibly bump JP into that 2nd unit.
* Ethan Henderson, 6-8 PF/C, freshman ... will back up Gafford at the 5 and others at the 4, obviously a candidate for the 2nd unit because he's CMA's next best option for a combo of height, length, and athleticism behind Gafford.
* Justice Hill, 5-10 PG, freshman who is expected to enroll mid-term ... plan is for him to practice, then begin playing as a freshman in the '19-20 season ... of course, football might change everything ... All SEC potential down the road for basketball.

Kevin I want to thank you. I have come to trust your opinions on players more than anybody else's. Love it keep it coming. I agree completely on Isaiah Joe. I haven't seen a better pure shooter his shot is smooth and he has plenty of athletic ability. And he also plays the game the right way. High IQ and him having to play a lot of point guard this year only has made him  better. I love this kid!

The_Iceman

Great breakdown Kevin. The two players I see most at risk for losing playing time next year are CJ Jones and Adrio Bailey. Both will need to expand and improve their games in order to not get beaten out by the guys behind them.

Bailey at 6'6" is going to struggle against SEC competition due to his height if he can't add a jump shot. Chaney, Osabuohien, and Henderson are all taller and with just as good of athleticism as him.

Jones is going to need to take a major leap. Even if he was knocking down 3's at a 40% rate, he is going to struggle getting them off against SEC defenses. He needs to do what Anthlon Bell did and develop the pull up floater and off the dribble game. Joe and Embery are much better overall guards than him.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2018, 02:14:47 pm
Great breakdown Kevin. The two players I see most at risk for losing playing time next year are CJ Jones and Adrio Bailey. Both will need to expand and improve their games in order to not get beaten out by the guys behind them.

Bailey at 6'6" is going to struggle against SEC competition due to his height if he can't add a jump shot. Chaney, Osabuohien, and Henderson are all taller and with just as good of athleticism as him.

Jones is going to need to take a major leap. Even if he was knocking down 3's at a 40% rate, he is going to struggle getting them off against SEC defenses. He needs to do what Anthlon Bell did and develop the pull up floater and off the dribble game. Joe and Embery are much better overall guards than him.

Good take Iceman..Joe is going to be hard to keep off the floor. Just wait..

niels_boar

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on February 15, 2018, 01:55:57 pm

Second unit ...

Kevin, how many of the newcomers (including Harris) would you expect to be 35%+ arc shooters?

If Gafford leaves, I think we'll have to put shooting and speed on the floor.  I assume Joe, Hall, and Jones would be a good start in that regard.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2018, 02:14:47 pm

Great points. Bailey and Jones will have the advantage of having 3 years in the system while being the elder statesmen, but that will only go so far.

We see that Jones is a streaky catch-and-shoot guy who can give you a one- or two-dribble pull-up when he's run off the 3-point line, but his handles are not good enough to create for himself or others right now, plus he's underwhelming defensively, which seems strange to me for a guy with his size and athletic attributes. His progression also reminds me of Anthlon Bell, another streaky catch-&-shoot guy who took all 4 years to finally become a consistent scorer who added a little in the mid-range. But, Jones is taller, longer, more athletic than Bell, so he's got some tools if he can develop. Not sure his floor IQ gets him there, though.

Bailey does need to improve that mid-range shot, would make him dangerous at that combo-4 spot because Ds would not be able to leave him all alone like they do now when he, Thomas, or Cook are on the floor. I like Gabe a lot better long-term. I was sold on Gabe last year when he was at SWChristian and blew up against a loaded Hamilton Heights team that sent players to Kentucky and VaTech.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: niels_boar on February 15, 2018, 02:17:39 pm
Kevin, how many of the newcomers (including Harris) would you expect to be 35%+ arc shooters?

If Gafford leaves, I think we'll have to put shooting and speed on the floor.  I assume Joe, Hall, and Jones would be a good start in that regard.

Jones and Joe are the only 2 I'd feel comfortable "guessing" will shoot 35+%, Embery maybe. But I could see Hall being close if not right there at 35% while taking 2-3 from range every night. I've been saying for awhile that fans still have not seen all that Hall can do, it's starting to emerge, but he's more skilled than he's shown to this point.

Garland shot 45ish% from 3 last season as a senior at Parkview, but he averaged just one 3-point shot attempt per game, so he's not a volume shooter from distance.

The_Iceman

February 15, 2018, 03:48:29 pm #82 Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 04:44:07 pm by Kevin McPherson
Quote from: Kevin McPherson on February 15, 2018, 02:43:20 pm
Garland shot 45ish% from 3 last season as a senior at Parkview, but he averaged just one 3-point shot attempt per game, so he's not a volume shooter from distance.

In the video I saw of Garland from his senior year, he reminded me some of Sonny Weems. I think Garland may be a better passer. Is that comparison off? My other comparison was Ky Madden, but he is just so much more athletic than him.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 15, 2018, 12:43:46 pm
Grant Williams was a 3 star coming out of high school. Many are surprised that he was able to produce this soon.

Yep. But he's a unique player all the same. My comment had nothing to do with high school ranking.

hawgfan4life

Any fan that isn't excited about that roster is no fan of Arkansas.

Kevin McPherson

February 15, 2018, 04:45:18 pm #85 Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:00:51 pm by Kevin McPherson
Quote from: The_Iceman on February 15, 2018, 03:48:29 pm
In the video I saw of Garland from his senior year, he reminded me some of Sonny Weems. I think Garland may be a better passer. Is that comparison off? My other comparison was Ky Madden, but he is just so much more athletic than him.

Meant to "quote" your post and add my response, but accidentally hit the "modify" button instead ... I did not change what you posted ... anyway, here is my response ...

* Weems is not a bad size, athletic comparison. Both are great open-court finishers, so yeah that's a good comparison in those terms. Weems maybe more explosive, but Garland more skilled at same stage. I've actually compared him to a more athletic version of Ky Madden because of the jack-of-all-trades aspect of his game. I also see some Ron Huery in the way he attacks/slashes from the wing and baseline, and like Ron has a good feel with handles, court awareness, etc.