Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson is recruiting out of his mind right now Hogs got R.Chaney

Started by forrest city joe, October 28, 2017, 05:29:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

WOW! Hog fans had a hell of a good day today. the football team comes back from 31 to 7 down and wins. and now we get this big time basketball news on Reggie Chaney.the recruiting Mike and his staff are doing right now is lights out.that new Basketball Practice Facility is paying off.I FREAKING LOVE IT.GO HOGS.

HogAllMighty

^^^^^^^ what he said.  Maybe enough of that "Mike can't recruit" talk?

Mr. Porkleone

Joe
Quote from: forrest city joe on October 28, 2017, 05:29:55 pm
WOW! Hog fans had a hell of a good day today. the football team comes back from 31 to 7 down and wins. and now we get this big time basketball news on Reggie Chaney.the recruiting Mike and his staff are doing right now is lights out.that new Basketball Practice Facility is paying off.I FREAKING LOVE IT.GO HOGS.

Joe you know I was done on MA several years but held in hope and he's bringing it in recruiting. This best class since Corliss days. Future looks bright

3kgthog

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on October 28, 2017, 06:04:49 pm
Joe

Joe you know I was done on MA several years but held in hope and he's bringing it in recruiting. This best class since Corliss days. Future looks bright

Stan had some classes better than any Mike has had. Let's be fair.

forrest city joe

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 28, 2017, 06:13:03 pm
Stan had some classes better than any Mike has had. Let's be fair.
Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on October 28, 2017, 06:04:49 pm
Joe

Yes the Future does look bright. this is a big time recruiting class. getting R.Chaney was just the latest.basketball Hogs are in great hands.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 28, 2017, 06:21:09 pm
Yes the Future does look bright. this is a big time recruiting class. getting R.Chaney was just the latest.basketball Hogs are in great hands.
FCJ we kept MA as coach. Where is this 5 star recruit that you said was coming if we kept MA?
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on October 29, 2017, 08:18:47 am
FCJ we kept MA as coach. Where is this 5 star recruit that you said was coming if we kept MA?

Just keep watching

HoopS

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on October 29, 2017, 08:18:47 am
I don't know if any are 5's but we have several very strong ones and it is obvious there is momnentum in our recruiting. But we did have one and he switched to MSU supposedly due to his sick father.  Be that as it may, we have since gone out and replaced him pretty well and that didn't seem doable not too long ago. 

bkjbearcat

B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

bkjbearcat

Quote from: HoopS on October 29, 2017, 08:47:31 am
I don't know if any are 5's but we have several very strong ones and it is obvious there is momnentum in our recruiting. But we did have one and he switched to MSU supposedly due to his sick father. Be that as it may, we have since gone out and replaced him pretty well and that didn't seem doable not too long ago.

If he switched then MA didn't have him.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

The_Iceman

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 29, 2017, 09:03:04 am
247 says he's a 3*. Why should I be impressed?

Let me educate you. He is actually a 4-star by 247, as well as ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/211981/reggie-chaney

What you are reading is his composite score. Sites that are behind in evaluations are dragging his score down. ESPN is one of the best in basketball.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 29, 2017, 09:06:46 am

Let's be clear.... Benjamin Franklin got him. $igned, $ealed, delivered.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

HoopS

call it whatever you want. The kid committed to us and then got persuaded to change.

The_Iceman

FineAsSwine

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 29, 2017, 09:03:04 am
247 says he's a 3*. Why should I be impressed?

Did you watch any film on him? He definitely passes the eye test.
Hogs up! Covid down!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 29, 2017, 09:13:25 am
Let me educate you. He is actually a 4-star by 247, as well as ESPN.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/211981/reggie-chaney

What you are reading is his composite score. Sites that are behind in evaluations are dragging his score down. ESPN is one of the best in basketball.

I'm excited too see where this class ends up in the final rankings.  I think we'll have a few guys move up.

Let's get these guys signed and on campus. But looks like a very good class.

BannerMountainMan

Are people really complaining about getting Chaney 😂😂😂😂😂😂
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Razorod

I'm very happy that we got him! He should be a 3-4 year guy and provide a more physical presence than any of the bigs we have now besides Gafford. If he is a legit 6-8, then in CMA's system he can give a few minutes at the five spot to go along with the four. Be nice pairing up with Henderson and possibly Ceaser over the next few years.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

daprospecta

Why in the fu** are we arguing about a recruit that changed his mind when we just signed a great 4* recruit. 

HoopS

Quote from: daprospecta on October 29, 2017, 04:34:49 pm
Why in the fu** are we arguing about a recruit that changed his mind when we just signed a great 4* recruit. 
because now unless it's a 5 Star, some won't be happy. Moved the bar.

HogsonHicks

Chaney is a stud and a big-time pickup.  Anyone still whining about Perry is a drama queen looking for stuff to b!tch about. 

I prefer to move on and enjoy what we DO have on campus and on the way.

mhuff

Quote from: HoopS on October 29, 2017, 05:52:34 pm

I still feel the hammer will fall on  Mississippi State, TCU, and A&M and others. Once these shoe people cut deals to avoid long stays with Big Bubba, the dominoes will fall quickly. You ain't seen nuttin yet.
Plus, it would be interesting to see how many Many Ky players have boosters that loan money to players parents to buy interest in horses that are later sold for money and profits dispersed to the parents. Ky is smooth. They are like Cam Newton and his father. How could that possibly be legal. Why aren't the coaches screaming to the  NCAA or the press to stop this crap. Is it just one big fraternity

rude1

Quote from: HoopS on October 29, 2017, 05:52:34 pm
^^This. Before it was "can't get good players unless it's family member, tied to staff or instate kid". Now when that bar is crossed, its time to move it to 5* prospects. Look I was down on CMA and his lack of signing good talent too, but he and his staff are on a roll right now and I am excited about it!!!!

HoopS

Quote from: rude1 on October 29, 2017, 06:36:25 pm
^^This. Before it was "can't get good players unless it's family member, tied to staff or instate kid". Now when that bar is crossed, its time to move it to 5* prospects. Look I was down on CMA and his lack of signing good talent too, but he and his staff are on a roll right now and I am excited about it!!!!
it is simple. Some just don't want him as our coach. They will find fault in most things he does. It is actually funny to watch. Hard to imagine they're actually hog fans and they still refuse to see anything positive with their team. We don't need rivals.

The_Iceman

The highest ranking for each of our commits:

Ethan Henderson - 4star #88
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/211972/ethan-henderson

Reggie Chaney - 4star #89
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Keyshawn Embrey - 4star #100
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/keyshawn-embery-16595

Isaiah Joe - 4star #93
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool
NOTE: some sites still list Joe as only 6'1". Hes probably closer to 6'4".

Jordan Phillips - 3star #132
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/jordan-phillips-1214

Desi Sills - consensus 3 star

So we have no elite talent in this class, but we have 5 Top 150 players (by at least one service) and a good instate development player in Desi Sills. Most, if not all, of these guys are 4 year college players (soonest any would leave in year 3). I just hope Gafford is around long enough to play 2 years with these guys.

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2017, 12:10:25 pm
The highest ranking for each of our commits:

Ethan Henderson - 4star #88
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/211972/ethan-henderson

Reggie Chaney - 4star #89

Keyshawn Embrey - 4star #100
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/keyshawn-embery-16595

Isaiah Joe - 4star #93
NOTE: some sites still list Joe as only 6'1". Hes probably closer to 6'4".

Jordan Phillips - 3star #132
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/jordan-phillips-1214

Desi Sills - consensus 3 star

So we have no elite talent in this class, but we have 5 Top 150 players (by at least one service) and a good instate development player in Desi Sills. Most, if not all, of these guys are 4 year college players (soonest any would leave in year 3). I just hope Gafford is around long enough to play 2 years with these guys.

Now if Mike would recruit a couple of 6'10" or 6'11" big men who prefer to play with their backs to the basket and can dominate the lane, this would be a very good class.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 04:14:34 pm
Now if Mike would recruit a couple of 6'10" or 6'11" big men who prefer to play with their backs to the basket and can dominate the lane, this would be a very good class.

Where in the hell are you going to find any of those? There are barely any in the NBA anymore. This class is just fine in terms of size. Chaney provides the muscle, Henderson has the length and bounce.

Don't need 6'11" monster bruisers anymore. That's not the way basketball is played. The few that aren't out there, aren't going to Arkansas.

Tell me how many you count on this list:

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2017, 04:30:24 pm
Where in the hell are you going to find any of those? There are barely any in the NBA anymore. This class is just fine in terms of size. Chaney provides the muscle, Henderson has the length and bounce.

Don't need 6'11" monster bruisers anymore. That's not the way basketball is played. The few that aren't out there, aren't going to Arkansas.

only way you'll find them is overseas and that's what ole miss does and look where it gets them
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

RazorPiggie

Lets see where we finish. I'd say around 25th which has been better than most of Mikes years.

HawgsPolo

Go Cubs Go!!!!!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 30, 2017, 05:02:42 pm
Lets see where we finish. I'd say around 25th which has been better than most of Mikes years.

No, top 15 four sure.

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 30, 2017, 04:30:24 pm

No the class is not fine in terms of height.

Nolan came to Arkansas firmly believing that he could win a national title without recruiting a big 6'11" bruiser. Ironically, the only National championship he won at Arkansas was when he had a 6'11" 245 LB Darnell Robinson coming off of the bench to help inside.

Now in terms of perimeter defense, shooting, quickness, and speed, it is a good class.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

navyhog24

I'm hoping that if we have a transfer at the end of the season, the staff will try and get a grad transfer 5 for one season to back up Gafford next season.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: GuvHog on October 31, 2017, 09:56:31 am

Nolan came to Arkansas firmly believing that he could win a national title without recruiting a big 6'11" bruiser. Ironically, the only National championship he won at Arkansas was when he had a 6'11" 245 LB Darnell Robinson coming off of the bench to help inside.

Now in terms of perimeter defense, shooting, quickness, and speed, it is a good class.

That was 1994. The game of basketball is going through a transition and the bigs are more versatile.

The_Iceman

Quote from: GuvHog on October 31, 2017, 09:56:31 am

Yeah Guv, because 1994 and 2017 are exactly the same in terms of the way basketball in played.

You don't have to have big men in TODAY'S basketball. So don't give me this 1994 crap.

Having a front line of Chaney (6'8" 230lb) and Henderson (6'9" 200) would be just fine. Henderson plays like he is much bigger because of his length and athleticism.

Gafford is a perfect modern big man, but those guys aren't easy to find.

razorback1829

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 31, 2017, 10:41:50 am
Yeah Guv, because 1994 and 2017 are exactly the same in terms of the way basketball in played.

You don't have to have big men in TODAY'S basketball. So don't give me this 1994 crap.

Having a front line of Chaney (6'8" 230lb) and Henderson (6'9" 200) would be just fine. Henderson plays like he is much bigger because of his length and athleticism.

Gafford is a perfect modern big man, but those guys aren't easy to find.

Chaney will be around 240 by the time he hits campus. Gafford will have a year under his belt and will be an absolute monster. Henderson is a bouncy athletic freak. We will be just fine. The Baby Hogs will be fun to watch in 2018-2019.

onebadrubi

I'm not here to bash the job Mike and his staff have done, because they are absolutely killing it.

But you guys saying that we don't need anyone bigger than 6'8" is just a little off, IMO.  We will play games against the style of play UK and UNC will play with bigs that will demolish us on the boards.  We've seen it here before and it gets ugly when this happens.  We will have nights where the jumpers aren't falling and you have to crash the boards to win those games. 

Someone that says we still need a true big is not crazy, you need that board banger.  Someone that says that is not necessarily bashing Mike, so don't think you have to believe that person is not needed just to support MA. 

Want to use an example of Golden State?  Well they have a HofF starting that role, but have had a reserve big or two that is simply a board crasher. 

FATHAWG08

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 31, 2017, 11:11:19 am
I'm not here to bash the job Mike and his staff have done, because they are absolutely killing it.

But you guys saying that we don't need anyone bigger than 6'8" is just a little off, IMO.  We will play games against the style of play UK and UNC will play with bigs that will demolish us on the boards.  We've seen it here before and it gets ugly when this happens.  We will have nights where the jumpers aren't falling and you have to crash the boards to win those games. 

Someone that says we still need a true big is not crazy, you need that board banger.  Someone that says that is not necessarily bashing Mike, so don't think you have to believe that person is not needed just to support MA. 

Want to use an example of Golden State?  Well they have a HofF starting that role, but have had a reserve big or two that is simply a board crasher.
Villanova does well without the Bigs you're screaming about.
I love off season Football!!

porkinsons disease

+1000
We have some nice pieces, but will lose some games simply by getting killed on the boards
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

onebadrubi

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 31, 2017, 11:25:52 am

lol I'm screaming?  You are too agenda driven and protecting someone I'm even supporting.

Also, what is 6'11" and 245 pounds?  I'll tell you, the Villanova dominating center piece to the national championship team, Daniel Ochefu (spelling?)

Villlanova is a great example of what we are building too.  They have many long rangy 6'5"-6'8", they sprinkle in a few good guards/shooting guards and a big guy and they win big. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 30, 2017, 06:49:58 pm
No, top 15 four sure.

Currently #20 according to 24/7. We have 6 committed (mainly the reason we are ranked#20), I cant see us taking anymore than that. And 17 of the top 50 recruits haven't committed yet. So I suspect we will be somewhere around 20-25 which is better than what we have been doing.

navyhog24

If we have a kid transfer out at the end of this coming season, then I could see the staff going after a grad transfer for one season, hopefully a 5 to back up Gafford.

Jim Harris

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 31, 2017, 11:30:38 am
lol I'm screaming?  You are too agenda driven and protecting someone I'm even supporting.

Also, what is 6'11" and 245 pounds?  I'll tell you, the Villanova dominating center piece to the national championship team, Daniel Ochefu (spelling?)

Villlanova is a great example of what we are building too.  They have many long rangy 6'5"-6'8", they sprinkle in a few good guards/shooting guards and a big guy and they win big. 

They are very well coached.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

The_Iceman

Well every team wants a couple 6'11" beasts on their roster, but those guys don't grow on trees. Mike has gone out and landed the guys that we are capable of getting. Would you like him to just pass by Henderson and Chaney?

Will we get out rebounded some? Sure. But Mike is making up for it by getting size on the wings to help out inside. Guys like Gafford and Henderson are more than capable of playing the Center position in today's college basketball. Length and athleticism can overcome lack of bulk.

Show me a 6'10"-6'11" 250lb+ big mn recruit within 300 miles of campus. 500 miles?

bkjbearcat

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 31, 2017, 11:49:52 am
Well every team wants a couple 6'11" beasts on their roster, but those guys don't grow on trees. Mike has gone out and landed the guys that we are capable of getting. Would you like him to just pass by Henderson and Chaney?

Will we get out rebounded some? Sure. But Mike is making up for it by getting size on the wings to help out inside. Guys like Gafford and Henderson are more than capable of playing the Center position in today's college basketball. Length and athleticism can overcome lack of bulk.

Show me a 6'10"-6'11" 250lb+ big mn recruit within 300 miles of campus. 500 miles?

Isn't basketball recruiting for larger P5 teams more national? Can't MA and staff get out of that 300 mile range and get someone?

The_Iceman

Quote from: bkjbearcat on October 31, 2017, 12:50:07 pm
Isn't basketball recruiting for larger P5 teams more national? Can't MA and staff get out of that 300 mile range and get someone?

They can, but 1) the competition to land those kids is tougher, 2) Mike isn't using shoe companies and agents to pay players to get here, 3) Arkansas isn't a national brand right now.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: forrest city joe on October 28, 2017, 05:29:55 pm

Yes, I love it.  He is feeding the monster.    But I want to know.  How did it happen and why 5 years? 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 31, 2017, 11:32:51 am
Currently #20 according to 24/7. We have 6 committed (mainly the reason we are ranked#20), I cant see us taking anymore than that. And 17 of the top 50 recruits haven't committed yet. So I suspect we will be somewhere around 20-25 which is better than what we have been doing.

We ranked 9 foo. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 31, 2017, 11:25:52 am

They recruit those 6'7+ 240Lb tough inter city kids who have a simple job of getting those tough  rebounds, get put backs and play physical defense.  We can do that too if Mike can make those 210 lb guys to play like they are 240+.