9-25-16 AP Poll

Started by jbcarol, September 25, 2016, 01:08:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Ralph D. Russo ‏@ralphDrussoAP 57s57 seconds ago

The AP Top 25 Poll.
Goodbye LSU. Welcome Boise State.  http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

Hogs are No. 20
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

ricepig

Großer Kriegschwein

I guess the aTm love fest worked in our favor.
This is my non-signature signature.

Sivad

Pretty good. Lots of opportunity ahead.

Danny J

A lot of respect still...we are a good team. Maybe not a great team but good.

WorfHog

I'm frankly amazed. Just goes to show that the AP voters don't really watch the games. A&M is vastly overrated and they dominated us on both sides of the ball.  I imagine we'll stay in the Top 25 until we play Auburn. Tough schedule doesn't look good for better than a three guaranteed wins if we cannot run the ball well.

hawgnosticator

Quote from: WorfHog on September 25, 2016, 01:36:00 pm
I'm frankly amazed. Just goes to show that the AP voters don't really watch the games. A&M is vastly overrated and they dominated us on both sides of the ball.  I imagine we'll stay in the Top 25 until we play Auburn. Tough schedule doesn't look good for better than a three guaranteed wins if we cannot run the ball well.

I'm not so sure ATM is vastly overrated. Their defense and skill players are legit.

Sivad

bigred223

How are they overrated? They are obviously very talented, balanced on offense, and have plenty of playmakers on defense. Go troll elsewhere.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgnosticator on September 25, 2016, 01:38:14 pm
I'm not so sure ATM is vastly overrated. Their defense and skill players are legit.

We'll know the next month how good they are, or aren't. Their QB won't run on Bama, and may not against Tenner, like us. His passing is not elite, so if he continues around 50%, they could be exposed.

razCzar

Pleasantly surprised.  As for Ags, seems about right.

RzRbAcK18

Optimism:

We run the table, AM falls apart as they always do, we win the west.

Scenario 2:

We run the table as does AM. They go destroy the east and make the playoffs, we take NY6. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Danny J on September 25, 2016, 01:11:25 pm

Couldn't agree more... for me this is the first real proof that outsiders view our program from a standing of strength since BP..... we have a chance to take another step up, even in losses against good teams.... people saw the missed opportunities, and they also saw AA, who is quickly establishing himself with the announcers, ... if he continues to shine in big games the way he has, he'll start getting some hype.... win or lose.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: RzRbAcK18 on September 25, 2016, 01:48:31 pm
Optimism:

Scenario 2:

We run the table as does AM. They go destroy the east and make the playoffs, we take NY6.

In that scenario we'd be in F4

EastexHawg

I would be willing to bet that A&M doesn't finish in the top ten.  Frankly I'm not even sure they finish top 20.  They started 5-0 the last two years, too.

tzthib

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 25, 2016, 01:50:59 pm
Couldn't agree more... for me this is the first real proof that outsiders view our program from a standing of strength since BP..... we have a chance to take another step up, even in losses against good teams.... people saw the missed opportunities, and they also saw AA, who is quickly establishing himself with the announcers, ... if he continues to shine in big games the way he has, he'll start getting some hype.... win or lose.

AA is legit, and one of the few bright spots from last night. We have the weapons to have a pretty good passing attack.

RzRbAcK18

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 25, 2016, 01:52:21 pm
In that scenario we'd be in F4

You think? I guess with the right losses ahead of us. I think with a win over Bama we get close to top 10.

31to6

A&M is not overrated.

They have weaknesses at QB and defensive secondary.

They have amazing strengths at OL, DL and offensive skill positions.

They are going to beat some teams badly this year--particularly if Trevor Knight continues to improve. (He is not a *great* QB, but he could be serviceable and as the year progresses I suspect you will see them continue to adjust their scheme to his strengths.)

I think they will lose 1-2 games in the SEC. There are other teams on their schedule that match up better with them.

I don't think they are a top-5 but they are definitely top-15 when it all is said and done. They are good enough that if the ball bounces their way they could go to Atlanta.

I think we are a top-25 team if we can close strong. We are 3-1 with one quality win already and over half our remaining schedule is manageable.

I for one would be ecstatic if we end this year ranked and manage to improve the W/L by one. To start the season *everyone* said we would take a step back.

If they somehow manage to improve over last year's record when we have a total rebuild job on the OL and the backfield, that's something I will take in a heartbeat.

hoglady

A&M has a very good team.
Both teams made critical potential game breaking mistakes.
I've not seen Christian Kirk play as poorly as he did last night.
A&M was good enough to overcome theirs and we weren't.
I wouldn't underestimate how good they are.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

FineAsSwine

How is Baylor staying afloat. They fired Briles and didn't flop. Long  fired Petrino and it took us way off course. What's the  difference?

thefisher

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 25, 2016, 01:54:38 pm
I would be willing to bet that A&M doesn't finish in the top ten.  Frankly I'm not even sure they finish top 20.  They started 5-0 the last two years, too.

I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere so let me throw this little tidbit out.

Arkansas injured several of A&M'a big time players last night. I don't know the severity of those key injuries but they had guys in walking boots and laid up before the game ended.  Whoever plays the Aggies the next few weeks is recipient of a dinged up roster thanks to the Hogs.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

ricepig

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 25, 2016, 02:21:23 pm
How is Baylor staying afloat. They fired Briles and didn't flop. Long  fired Petrino and it took us way off course. What's the  difference?
So, you're saying Long knew what he was doing when he tried to hire Grobe?

ricepig

Quote from: thefisher on September 25, 2016, 02:24:15 pm

Arkansas injured several of A&M'a big time players last night. I don't know the severity of those key injuries but they had guys in walking boots and laid up before the game ended.  Whoever plays the Aggies the next few weeks is recipient of a dinged up roster thanks to the Hogs.

They go to USCe next week, and host Tenner the week after.

RME

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2016, 02:25:21 pm

Hahhahahaha

WashUhog6

I guess I just don't understand how the minds of some fans work. Arkansas fans have always demanded we get more respect from the media. And only dropping 3 spots to #20 shows we're getting respect in a way that hasn't always happened.

Why does it have to be that A&M is vastly overrated? On a day that we have a lot of things to be unhappy about, we should be be a little proud that the nation is showing Arkansas some respect.

RME

If they're "vastly overrated" and just beat us by 3 touchdowns, then we must be pretty effin' awful.

BDSCT51

Quote from: hoglady on September 25, 2016, 02:11:06 pm
A&M has a very good team.
Both teams made critical potential game breaking mistakes.
I've not seen Christian Kirk play as poorly as he did last night.
A&M was good enough to overcome theirs and we weren't.
I wouldn't underestimate how good they are.

This is a good assessment of the situation. Errors at critical times for both teams. aTm got over it, we didn't.
Bleeding Razorback Red

TriHog

Really surprised to be in the top 20. It's Great to see we didn't drop like a rock.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2016, 02:25:21 pm

Just wish that could have been us.

I'm good with everything except the J.L. Smith interlude. However, I have learned through the years that the path of the Hog is hard. I'm used to it.

JaketheSnake

We were only dominated inside our 5.  Go ahead and remember it however you want.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: TriHog on September 25, 2016, 02:32:41 pm
Really surprised to be in the top 20. It's Great to see we didn't drop like a rock.

We beat Bama and it will quickly erase some of the sting of losing to aggie.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2016, 02:26:25 pm
They go to USCe next week, and host Tenner the week after.

80% chance beating USC.. 55% vs UT.. better than 50% chance they lose one..Shows again how in the SEC, it doesn't matter who you are, your going to play 3 -4 game stretches where it's difficult to stay healthy, much less win them all...

Dominicanhog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 25, 2016, 02:33:13 pm
. However, I have learned through the years that the path of the Hog is hard. I'm used to it.

thanks for the chuckle... :razorback:

EastexHawg

Quote from: WashUhog6 on September 25, 2016, 02:28:54 pm
I guess I just don't understand how the minds of some fans work. Arkansas fans have always demanded we get more respect from the media. And only dropping 3 spots to #20 shows we're getting respect in a way that hasn't always happened.

Why does it have to be that A&M is vastly overrated? On a day that we have a lot of things to be unhappy about, we should be be a little proud that the nation is showing Arkansas some respect.

What people want for Arkansas should have nothing to do with their assessments of the strengths of other teams.  Games and seasons will play out the way they happen and what would be best for Arkansas has nothing to do with any of it.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2016, 01:09:20 pm
Hog's are #20.
thats respect. I thought for sure we would drop out of the top 25
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rljjr

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 25, 2016, 02:36:40 pm
80% chance beating USC.. 55% vs UT.. better than 50% chance they lose one..Shows again how in the SEC, it doesn't matter who you are, your going to play 3 -4 game stretches where it's difficult to stay healthy, much less win them all...

Agreed. Aggies will definitely crush SC-E and stand a good chance at beating Tenner by 35-plus. That is, unless we hurt too many of their big playmakers last night. We did ding them up pretty good.

tophawg19

he also overestimates his knowledge of football. that was two good teams going at it. both teams played well in spots and made mistakes . THE aGGIES ARE A TOP 10 TEAM. BOTH FAST AND PHYSICAL . Their skill players are fast and good . their lines are strong and fast.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

WashUhog6

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 25, 2016, 02:41:08 pm
What people want for Arkansas should have nothing to do with their assessments of the strengths of other teams.  Games and seasons will play out the way they happen and what would be best for Arkansas has nothing to do with any of it.
Of course, I completely agree with you. But this isn't about using dreams and aspirations for the Hogs to change our assessments of other teams. There are a lot of things one can say about the stuff that gets posted on Hogville, and "well-thought out assessment" isn't usually one of them--when it does happen, it's usually limited to a select few posters who are well known for it.

This is about how some fans always turn to an "assessment" of other teams as a way to push the opinion they probably already held in the first place. He probably already thought A&M was vastly overrated going into the game, and nothing was going to change that. The only explanation must be that we're bad, right? It's just like how people flooded this place after Petrino was fired to tell us about how our 2010-2011 weren't all that great anyways because "the SEC was down" or "we played a soft schedule." It's never about a fair assessment, it's almost always just a rationalization to support some opinion they have. Just like Petrino's accomplishments were torn down here under the guise of "overrated," just like TAMU is now "overrated."

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 25, 2016, 02:21:23 pm

Let's see.....Baylor is 4-0 with wins over Winless Northwestern State (0-4) and Rice (0-4), SMU is 2-2, and Okie Lite, who lost at home to Central Michigan. They haven't flopped...but they aren't playing in the SEC West.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

WorfHog

We're the best team they've played and we're a very flawed team. Both teams will get exposed as the season plays out. Aggies probably lose three more, we'll probably lose four more.

GuvHog

Quote from: thefisher on September 25, 2016, 02:24:15 pm

AA is pretty banged up too. Since the next opponent is Alcorn State, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see AA on the sidelines in street clothes resting his banged up body and Ty Storey starting at QB this Saturday.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

WashUhog6

Quote from: WorfHog on September 25, 2016, 03:36:29 pm
We're the best team they've played and we're a very flawed team. Both teams will get exposed as the season plays out. Aggies probably lose three more, we'll probably lose four more.
I want them to be bad as much as anyone does, I promise you that. And they definitely have flaws. The problem is that other than a select few, no one is really separating themselves from the pack so far this year. We have top 25 and P5 schools struggling with directional schools all over the place, and others dropping games no one expected them to. As flawed as we--and they--are, we could still easily be a top 25 team because there are a ton of teams out there even more flawed than we are.

It's important to maintain that perspective, and all you have to do is look around at what else is going on in college football in order to see it. Just yesterday in the SEC alone we saw Georgia play like a Sun Belt school, Florida have a collapse of epic proportions, LSU and Auburn play a game that just made everyone feel uncomfortable, Mississippi State struggle with yet another cupcake, and South Carolina and Kentucky play a game that resembled football in some ways. If I were to branch out into other P5 conferences, this post would be even longer than it already is--and that's just considering yesterday's games.

Hog N Bama

must be a miserable life you live

PorkSoda

well TAMU is seperating themselves from the pack.  TAMU and BAMA are the only unbeaten West Teams, and OM is probably the third best west team.  everyone else is fighting not to end up in the cellar.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bphi11ips

Quote from: TriHog on September 25, 2016, 02:32:41 pm

We looked like a top 20 team.  The game could have gone either way.  We lost because of turnovers, defensive lapses, and stubborness.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Cmheinley

I was pissed off the past two years after the a&m game because I felt we were the better team. This year they were the better team. I know there is no such thing as a good loss, but I would consider this game one of those situations, and the AP voters seem to agree

longpig

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 25, 2016, 05:00:53 pm
We looked like a top 20 team.  The game could have gone either way.  We lost because of turnovers, defensive lapses, and stubborness.

Knight couldn't land that long ball to Ramsey again in a hundred tries. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

Cinco de Hogo

Despite the breakdown in the second half anyone that knows football knows those were two very tough teams knocking heads.  I'm not sure we will stay in the top twenty but for now we are a P5 conference team at 3-1 and we are tough.  I think, again despite the second half breakdown voters can see it.  Got to get the play calling fixed to reflect what we do best and scheme to protect the dang qb.

bphi11ips

Quote from: longpig on September 25, 2016, 05:45:42 pm
Knight couldn't land that long ball to Ramsey again in a hundred tries. 

Maybe.  One play didn't beat us.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Danny J on September 25, 2016, 01:11:25 pm