Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Most Exciting Thing About our Program Right Now...

Started by incHOGnito, September 25, 2016, 12:01:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

incHOGnito

The loss last night stings, and it would nice if we could keep the bitching and moaning out of this thread, as I think something was on display that I was hoping to see last night, but couldn't really confirm until we had faced a top-flight SEC defense.  That is the fact that Austin Allen has picked up exactly where Brandon left off last season.  He is playing lights out football behind an offensive line that is a shell of what it was last season. 

Brandon was a fighter and a great ambassador of our program, but it took him two and half years of starting games to turn into an elite level quarterback, and yes, he was an elite level quarterback during the home stretch of our season last year. 

Austin, after just 4 starts, is playing as well as, or better than, Brandon played during that the last half of last season.  I truly expected to see him have some growing pains as he transitioned into the starting role this year, and he may still, but it is also clear that we are not going to wait until the second half of his senior season to see the type of play we saw with Brandon.  Combine that with our receiving corps and our running backs (which I believe only need some creases to hit) and all we are lacking as our offensive line is to start playing better to be a dominant offensive unit.

I think the line will get there, but finding a solid quarterback is always an issue at the college level.  Look at UGA.  They have struggled since Murray left to put some out there who is just serviceable, and we all know LSU's issues.  Even a program with the resources and recruiting advantages of Texas has not had a good quarterback since Colt McCoy.  We have our quarterback to build around. We just need an offensive line to protect and open holes.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: incHOGnito on September 25, 2016, 12:01:35 pm
The loss last night stings, and it would nice if we could keep the bitching and moaning out of this thread, as I think something was on display that I was hoping to see last night, but couldn't really confirm until we had faced a top-flight SEC defense.  That is the fact that Austin Allen has picked up exactly where Brandon left off last season.  He is playing lights out football behind an offensive line that is a shell of what it was last season. 

Brandon was a fighter and a great ambassador of our program, but it took him two and half years of starting games to turn into an elite level quarterback, and yes, he was an elite level quarterback during the home stretch of our season last year. 

Austin, after just 4 starts, is playing as well as, or better than, Brandon played during that the last half of last season.  I truly expected to see him have some growing pains as he transitioned into the starting role this year, and he may still, but it is also clear that we are not going to wait until the second half of his senior season to see the type of play we saw with Brandon.  Combine that with our receiving corps and our running backs (which I believe only need some creases to hit) and all we are lacking as our offensive line is to start playing better to be a dominant offensive unit.

I think the line will get there, but finding a solid quarterback is always an issue at the college level.  Look at UGA.  They have struggled since Murray left to put some out there who is just serviceable, and we all know LSU's issues.  Even a program with the resources and recruiting advantages of Texas has not had a good quarterback since Colt McCoy.  We have our quarterback to build around. We just need an offensive line to protect and open holes.

AA is a great QB.  BB and DE need to play to our strengths and use him to full advantage instead of being stubborn and trying to run the ball against a front that was dominating us at the LOS
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: JOKERHOG on September 25, 2016, 12:05:05 pm
AA is a great QB.  BB and DE need to play to our strengths and use him to full advantage instead of being stubborn and trying to run the ball against a front that was dominating us at the LOS
Yes, A&M was stacking the line selling out to stop the run and we simply refused to take what was being given to us. I think Chavis bet the house that we would do exactly what we did. A&M DOES have better linemen on both sides of the ball than we do but our coaching decisions did not place the team in a winnable situation, in my opinion.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

3kgthog

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 25, 2016, 03:56:30 pm
Yes, A&M was stacking the line selling out to stop the run and we simply refused to take what was being given to us. I think Chavis bet the house that we would do exactly what we did. A&M DOES have better linemen on both sides of the ball than we do but our coaching decisions did not place the team in a winnable situation, in my opinion.

You win the Internet. I completely agree.