Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Going Forward

Started by tzthib, September 25, 2016, 10:41:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tzthib

I have been a longtime lurker on this board but seldom post. Yesterday's game was heartbreaking, but I get the sense we have been here before. Like clockwork, it seems the Razorbacks will put themselves into position to get a true statement win, to finally get the monkey off their back, only to make countless errors and lose a game they could have won. In hindsight there may have been no reason to expect this team to do anything better than win 7-8 games, due to depth and talent issues.

This year we are rebuilding our OL, and next year we may be rebuilding our receiver corps. The secondary continues to be porous. We cannot seem to find a place kicker who can kick it very far. 22 yard field goals are by no means a gimmie. My question is, at what point can we expect to have a complete team that has no glaring defects? Unless we have depth we will never compete consistency, but I see no depth on the horizon.

I understand many people claim we will never be able to recruit the depth we need, but if that's so why are Houston and Louisville so successful, while USC isn't? Are the Aggies really so much better than us that we should always consider ourselves underdogs?

I guess my point is I don't want to accept the fact that we will always be the spoiler in the SEC who could very well beat Alabama then lose back to back to Ol Miss and Auburn. This seems to be our future, though, does it not? What do we need to one day be able to seriously talk about playoff contention?

B501

Quote from: tzthib on September 25, 2016, 10:41:55 am
What do we need to one day be able to seriously talk about playoff contention?

Short of hiring Nick Saban? Hold your breathe...

LRHawg

Quote from: tzthib on September 25, 2016, 10:41:55 am
I have been a longtime lurker on this board but seldom post. Yesterday's game was heartbreaking, but I get the sense we have been here before. Like clockwork, it seems the Razorbacks will put themselves into position to get a true statement win, to finally get the monkey off their back, only to make countless errors and lose a game they could have won. In hindsight there may have been no reason to expect this team to do anything better than win 7-8 games, due to depth and talent issues.

This year we are rebuilding our OL, and next year we may be rebuilding our receiver corps. The secondary continues to be porous. We cannot seem to find a place kicker who can kick it very far. 22 yard field goals are by no means a gimmie. My question is, at what point can we expect to have a complete team that has no glaring defects? Unless we have depth we will never compete consistency, but I see no depth on the horizon.

I understand many people claim we will never be able to recruit the depth we need, but if that's so why are Houston and Louisville so successful, while USC isn't? Are the Aggies really so much better than us that we should always consider ourselves underdogs?

I guess my point is I don't want to accept the fact that we will always be the spoiler in the SEC who could very well beat Alabama then lose back to back to Ol Miss and Auburn. This seems to be our future, though, does it not? What do we need to one day be able to seriously talk about playoff contention?

Geography. It's pretty simple when you look at the average distance a recruit travels to school. We lost due to a mixture of lack of execution, mistakes, but most importantly, depth. Their 2 deep is better than ours in the majority of positions on the field.

orvillesghost

I don't know that there is an answer to your question. I have come to the personal conclusion that we will NEVER be able to recruit well enough to be a top tier team in the SEC. I don't believe any coach is going to change that. None ever has so far.

One can make an argument that we are overmatched in the SEC and always will be. I don't advocate getting out of the league but if you expect us to contend for an SEC title each year, I think you are doomed to disappointment as a fan.

I always hope for good things for Razorback football but the last few years, I've learned to enjoy the wins and not be crushed by the defeats. I like to see us get better as the season goes on. Usually we do manage that.

luke hawg

We will be replacing the receiving corps next season which will be easier to overcome than a young offensive line. Most spread teams in college are best with a mobile dual threat QB, talented receivers, and a opportunistic pressure defense. This is probably Sumlin's best team at A&M. A&M was starting 4 new offensive linemen and it didn't hurt them at all. In their system, it's just not a huge issue. In ours it's everything.  We will improve on offense as the season progresses.